After a fair few years away from the hobby, I recently picked up a few bits and pieces from FW. I like the clean, hi-tech look of the Tartaros Terminators and fancied making a First Legion POTL list.

gallery_83859_10637_460167.jpg

I wanted to focus more on the practical image of the Grest Crusade over the ornamental style of 40k. I filed off all the studs and imagery off the test model to emphasise the 'clean' look I was looking for. To keep with the hi-tech theme I armed him with a Volkite Charger (with an Anvil Industries holo sight) and a Grey Knight power sword. I also added some spare Volkite power cells to his left hip and, as a nod to the Deathwing of the 41st millenium, a dagger to his right.

gallery_83859_10637_674988.jpg

As it's been a while since I last painted anything, I kept to a simple palet using Vallejo Model Colour. I based the scheme on Luther's Blood Angel Death Company found elsewhere on the B'n'C.

gallery_83859_10637_559889.jpg

The view from the side showing the sword a little better, as well his spare power packs for the Volkite Charger.

gallery_83859_10637_206858.jpg

A slightly ropey top-down view showing a FW etched brass symbol and the top of the Charger.

gallery_83859_10637_981483.jpg

And, with the test model there or there abouts, the rest of the WIP squad.

Good stuff!  I understand how some could wish for the shiny details/icons, but I see what you're going for and I look forward to seeing the rest painted up.

Some individual phots:

gallery_83859_10637_236029.jpg

One of the Legion Terminators charging forward. I like how this shows the Tartaros-pattern can actually move hard and fast.

gallery_83859_10637_391244.jpg

Another Legion Terminator with volkite charger and power sword. Again, he's been posed so not to look like the old 'statue' stanced Indomitus-pattern.

gallery_83859_10637_369760.jpg

A plasma cannon (/blaster) armed Terminator. He's a more square on and static looking, but he is hefting a cannon in one hand.

gallery_83859_10637_72482.jpg

A slightly blurry look at the business end.

gallery_83859_10637_226653.jpg

The squad's sergeant. I've ordered some resin hanger deck bases for them which I'm waiting for. His will feature a defeated enemy's lopped off arm for him to be striding over.

Looks awesome! Very clean and utilitarian.

You NEED to do at least one tac support squad with volkite chargers AND one with heavy support squad with culverins!

Martian death Rays for everyone!

I really love how clean and crisp they look! I've been a player and fan of the first legion for a very long time, and I think you've done a wonderful job on these. I especially love the red blades!

Thanks for all the kind comments.

I said in the first post how I went for a clean look on the models to emphasise a sort of sleek and dynamic practicality but I also I like to think it helps reflects how far humanity has fallen from the Great Crusade to the 41st Millenium. The bonding studs fitted as a quicker but poorer method of making armour plates (like on Mk V armour) are not yet a necessity. There isn't any gaudy ornamentation decorating every surface as the suits are yet to become ancient relics to be revered. The weapons they wield are the most sophisticated available, the knowledge of their manufacture not yet lost to the passage of time. To me, 30K is the chance to have a Legion at the height of humanity's power before knowledge and free thought was lost to ignorance and ritual and I think these models reflect that.

So, now to expand the squad to 10. Give them another plasma cannon/blaster and tinker with chain fists.

These are really great looking... On the FW website I've never been convinced by the Tartaros Armour I've seen but these are really clean, sleek and dynamic... Now I have to rethink my mental list...

gallery_83859_10637_279600.jpg

Still waiting for a few bits and pieces but I've tinkered with what I've had to hand over Easter.

gallery_83859_10637_326490.jpg

I'm going to add a second plasma cannon/blaster to the squad and I'm toying with having his power sword mag-locked to the small of his back. So, these have been pinned and green-stuffed in readiness for the next set of models. I filed off the skull and sword motif on the plasma power pack to go with the squad's unadorned look.

gallery_83859_10637_251630.jpg

The squad is going to have a pair of chainfists. I really like the look of the Cataphractii chainfists as they look like the Terminator can let go of the joystick to use his hand to change a magazine or work a cogitator terminal etc, instead of just crushing it in his fist. I fitted the Tartaros chainfist attachment directly to the normal forearm after a bit of clipping and drilled in a brass rod. A small square of plasticard was glued underneath the rod and both green stuffed to make it look a bit more substantial.

gallery_83859_10637_182724.jpg

Still waiting on bases and suitable body parts to have him stood atop, but this is the WIP Praetor who will be leading the Pride of the First Legion. Bit more work to do but he's getting there.

Archived