The latest on the Praetor:

gallery_83859_10637_535431.jpg

I trimmed down the pole on the sensor on his left shoulder so it wasn't quite as obtrusive and added the volkite power packs to his right hip.

gallery_83859_10637_685005.jpg

I wanted him to look like he's in the middle of a melee, dispatched the Legionary at his feet, and turned to challenge his next opponent. Quite happy with how the sword turned out.

gallery_83859_10637_488879.jpg

Still waiting on a few parts for the base but in the mean time I've trimmed down a Night Lord Raptor as the cornerstone of it. The plan is to add a studded Mk V shoulder pad to the gap the torso to the base, give him a let arm, and a discarded chainsword to round it off.

I also thought the praetor was dancing. He looks a lot more appropriate with a corpse under his foot. The paintjob is great as always.

Do you have a tutorial for the power blades?

If a Terminator danced, wouldn't he do 'the robot'?

The swords are simply:

- Prime black.

- Basecoat the hilt Vallejo MC Pale Blue Gray and the blade Dark Vermillion.

- Heavy wash with Nuln Oil.

- Edge highlight the hilt Pale Bkue Grey again and the blade Amaranthe Orange.

The Praetor's had a stipled layer of Scarlet before the edge highlight and the power nodes were picked out in Fluoro Green.

i like these i love that black adn grey highlighting method, to me the only thoughts i have about what i feel is missing from this style, is the power cords on the back should(i think) be silver insted of tyhe highligted grey or atleast a lighter grey to break up the bloack and grey on the back side(to make the back veiw more intresting), and i am not a fan of the brushing metal look u have going for weapons but i abslutly love thses clean crisp termies. so great job adn i will be following closely lol.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The gray on the back is the same blue-gray as on the weapons; I went for that over metallics because, with all the black, I thought they'd look too much like Iron Hands at a glance. Whilst there's a lot of neutral gray, I think it helps the black and red of the Legion come to the fore.

gallery_83859_10637_446182.jpg

Please excuse the slightly dark phot. The rest of the bits arrived for the base apart from one Mk V shoulder pad. I got bored waiting. I went for a plasticard decking with one side slightly raised upon a step. This was taped off and painted into hazard stripes with a brass rod as piping running along side it. A small gubbin from a land raider was added as a small touch. All in all, it's meant to represent the decking inside a ship or a bunker.

The Night Lord was fun to paint, although I wouldn't want to paint lightning en masse...

gallery_83859_10637_129993.jpg

I went for a pale blue base for the skull adornments on the Night Lord. With that and the blue edge highlighting I think it keeps the whole model cold without being too dark.

gallery_83859_10637_203283.jpg

Overall, I think the base works in marking the Praetor as the HQ. Just frustrated to not have the any spare shoulder pads to finish off the right hand side!

i love the nightlord, youre darker based painting style lends its self VERY well to the night hunters children. the skull face is spot of from what i can see, are u gonna add his other arm or do any sword wound damage? also the preators  left foot looks a little off sense its not level maybe put some filler to make it looks like hes standing on a slop?

i nitpick only because u have all the basics adn advanced stuff covered soo well. i truly enjoy ur work so u get the little nitpicks :D

Glad you like it, bud. In terms of nitpicking, the base was bugging me for some reason. Thankfully, an order of bases from Dark Arts Miniatures arrived:

gallery_83859_10637_916116.jpg

The phot is a little bright but hopefully you can see the improvement. With his left knee hooked over the pipes, I think it looks more natural than my first effort. Now it looks more like he's been hit, staggered back, and fallen.

gallery_83859_10637_17264.jpg

With the Praetor. I added the top of a teleport homer to the bottom right of the base so it didn't look too bland. I had tried putting a chain axe there but it looked slightly too big.

gallery_83859_10637_579273.jpg

And him with the squad, finally based too. Very happy with the Dark Arts bases.

Work continues on the chainfists.

gallery_83859_10637_530528.jpg

First one has been tacked together. I'm going to have 2 guys with chainfists per 10 man squad and I see them as being the team's breachers and demolition experts. To represent this, I wanted to have the first one destroying something important looking. I used the bottom of a teleporter homer with the plastic cylinder cap from a paint brush clipped down and glued to the top with some copper wire inside it. The other end of the cap was glued to his right hand to make it look like he's cut and wrenched the thing apart.

gallery_83859_10637_57706.jpg

Whilst it's not an option as per LCAL, I've given him a breaching charge. If you're going to teleport inside a ship to cripple it, you'd want them and it looks cool.

They're clipped down from a job lot of volkite calivers off eBay for a good price. I'd made the mistake of thinking Terminators could take them rather than chargers and, once I realised, I thought I may as well put them to use another way. It's a bit sacrilicious...

In my head-canon, the power packs are secured not in a mag pouch as such but a robust charging station linked to the Tartaros suit's own power supply. That way the Terminators can swap out power packs and recharge the spent ones to stay in the fight for longer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So, before painting the resin crack that's arrived over Christmas, I thought I had best paint the models that have been gathering dust on the shelf.

gallery_83859_10637_112886.jpg

Here is the chainfist terminator painted up. The photo has come out shinier than in the flesh but I'm quite happy with how he's turned out.

gallery_83859_10637_686269.jpg

From the front, I think you get the sense of dynamism. He's ripping and tearing some vital gizmo apart with his hands.

gallery_83859_10637_504366.jpg

He has the usual spare power packs on one hip, his Volkite charger mag-locked to the other to free up both hands, and a demo-charge at the small of his back. If you're going to assault an enemy vessel in the depths of space, why not bring plenty of CHOOM and BOOM?

Love the praetor but the chainfist terminator is AWESOME! It's almost like a mini-diorama still suitable for the tabletop. You usually see models interacting with enemies, but yours is interacting with the environment. I find that very interesting both visually and conceptually.

AJB2K3 - dark blue made them too similar to the dispatched NLs. I wish I had the skill to apply a more subtle transition on the highlights.

Venomlust - Cheers. The terminator bases give you enough room to have a bit of fun and tell a little story. I like the idea of the models showing what they might actually be doing (breaching through a door or sabotaging a gizmo) rather than just waving a weapon around indistinctly. For the next chainfist, I'm going to have him striding over a bulkhead door he's cut through. Hopefully.

Personally I love the black on these guys (and the army in general), not a fan of blue highlights on black. Try adding 2-3 more highlight steps in between these though, to smoothen out the transition. The grey you're using now should remain the extreme highlight colour, IMO, just needs to be a little more blended to be perfect.

Cheers,
BTB

Archived