The Domus Crusade

rye0006

I have finally got around to recording the creation and history of my force - the Domus Crusade.

I am really slow at getting around to painting - unfortunately life gets in the way, as well as trying to work on my two fantasy armies (dwarves and fimir), and indulging in some amateur dramatics. The following link will take you to a page on my blog which documents the creation of the crusade, as well as gives biographic details on notable personages. As you can probably guess (if you read it) I quite enjoy writing little bits of narrative as I feel it gives a whole extra depth to my games and models. I have included pictures of the characters discussed, even though few of them are painted, at least that way you can see the models I'm using, including several conversions.

http://lostfimir.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-domus-crusade.html

Anyway, I hope that you can find some time to take a look at the Domus Crusade page on my blog. Please feel free to drop me a comment or whatever as it is always nice to hear what people think about my force.

(my blog itself only documents my progress on my warhammer fantasy fimir army as this is a rather large modelling project I have been undertaking for a while now - every single model needs converting to quite a large degree as the fimir are not a GW race anymore)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to get some painting done over the next fortnight. I've got numerous things started, like assault squad, tactical termies,lrc, storm talon. Think I might focus on the vehicles for a little bit, though I want to undercoat loads of stuff so that I can just get ready.

Hopefully I might be able to join in with the etl this year, and I have a fair amount of stuff I could pledge, but just depends on my availability to paint! Can I pledge a unit, and if I get that done then pledge something else? Or do I have to declare everything upfront? What happens if I don't paint everything that I pledge?

Last 3 times, the rules were roughly:

You can make up to 5 total pledges. Each pledge must be completed before you declare another pledge. If you fail to complete any pledge, you forfeit them all (including any you had already completed!).

Our tactics in the BT forum are usually to get a day-one pledge up there, doesn't matter if it is relatively small, just get your name down. Complete it as quickly as possible and try to make an early show of force with high numbers of participants and completions in the first weeks. Then use your 2/3/4 pledges to get larger submissions in, but never more than you expect to be able to do in a few weeks. This leaves you room to play with at the end of the challenge; last year I squeezed in a single Chapter-Master level character as my last vow in the final days, maximising my potential contribution without 'writing cheques I couldn't cash' ;)

I've done some work on a 5 man assault squad, with 3 plasma pistols. I built the unit about 15 years ago! But had modified a few of the models and finished off painting them today. I still need to base them and apply transfers, but it's nice to make a bit more progress, finishing things off before thinking about some etl pledges.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm195/John_Rye/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150407_180925_zpsdpa2qams.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm195/John_Rye/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150407_180908_zpsrqzdw3v5.jpg

Edited by rye0006

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinda confused by the skeleton arm on the back.  :huh.:

Quick n' dirty, but it works.  You might want to try micro-sol to make the decals a bit more cooperative and a touch less shiny.  Now then, on to vow number 2, eh? :wink:

The Skelton arm holding the sword is the crusade symbol. I like all my models to look dirty. As for the transfers, I did use microset and microsol to put them on. It was the first time I've used them though so potentially I didn't use them right to get the proper effect.

Maybe, I blast my decals with a hair dryer during the drying process. I use decal fix and decal medium by Vallejo. I follow mad matts tutorial on you tube.

• 1 month later...
I've got a battle on Friday night and am looking to run my inquisition detachment with my Crusade. If I take an inquisitor with the liber heresius and deploy him with the emperor's champion, and a crusader squad in their dedicated land raider crusader, can I then use the scout move that the liber grants to scout up the land raider with everyone inside?

• 4 months later...

I've recently bought a while load of random bits from some friends who don't play any more or have changed armies - including 4 tactical squads, a devastator squad, 2 assault termie squads, q squad of jump pack death guard (will be converted to sword brethren vanguard), 2 rhinos, and various random sprues and bits. In order to save money, instead of buying more expensive but recent kits, I'm going to do a fair amount of converting. I started simply this evening - just trying to knock up some sternguard sword brethren from the array of bits. I already have a squad of 5 sternguard, but want 10 to then combat squad out of their drop pod.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm195/John_Rye/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151120_223247_zps7wkenw2j.jpg

For one combat squad of the sternguard sword brethren I want them equipped with 2 heavy flamers, 3 bolters and the sergeant with a lightning claw. I already have 1 bolter and 1 heavy flamer sword brethren from the actual sternguard kit, and you can see from last night's post above that I have kit bashed another bolter one and the sergeant with bolter and lightning claw. That left me trying to work out how to kit bash a heavy flamer wielding sternguard. Not a simple task! Rummaging through the bits I got from mates I found a heavy flamer. So I teamed that up with a devastator plasma cannon back pack and here you have it!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm195/John_Rye/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151121_180607_zps8zg2dul9.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm195/John_Rye/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151121_180625_zpstbpd1hdp.jpg