new to grey knights I had a few questions :)

brothertitus

Hey guys I just got a grey knight army and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions I had regarding the army. For starters I have noticed some peoples list having only one troops choice what's up with that? Don't you need two mandatory? Also what do you guys think of replacing a 2nd ndk in my list for a land raider crusader? I don't see many in your lists but I always thought crusaders were pretty brutal how come they get no love? Hahaha hopefully I will be getting some games in with my grey knights this weekend against space wolves and advice against those furry blighters? Anyway thanks in advance! This seems like the best and friendliest place to talk about this awesome army.

Hi. If you take a Nemesis Strike Force detachment, you only need a single unit of troops. You could swap a NDK for a LRC, but you have to remember that a LRC is a pretty big target that can be taken down by glancing hits or a single penetrating hit.

For starters I have noticed some peoples list having only one troops choice what's up with that? Don't you need two mandatory? 

It's called Nemesis Strikeforce detachment, and it's in the codex. 1 HQ, 1 Troop mandatory. The only things you give up are a Heavy slot and FA slot, which doesn't really matter. In return, you get Turn 1 Deepstrike and Run+Shoot when you Deepstrike. It's pretty much the only way Grey Knights are played now. 

Also what do you guys think of replacing a 2nd ndk in my list for a land raider crusader? I don't see many in your lists but I always thought crusaders were pretty brutal how come they get no love?

Because Land Raiders are trash, and have been since 5th edition onwards. DK's are better in every measurable way. Don't take Land Raiders. 

Hahaha hopefully I will be getting some games in with my grey knights this weekend against space wolves and advice against those furry blighters? Anyway thanks in advance! This seems like the best and friendliest place to talk about this awesome army. 

Against Space Wolves, I'd focus on getting rid of his Thunderwolves and Long Fangs. Their Grey Hunters and Blood Claws can be killed pretty easily in melee, don't really have to worry about them. But TWC will rip our infantry to shreds, and can even kill DK's with decent rolls. Long Fangs are annoying because they shoot 5x lascannons into our face from the SW deployment zone all game. Probably send an Interceptor squad to kill them, they're bad in melee thankfully. 

Welcome to the thin silver line that keeps the hordes of daemons away!

​As for a land raider or not, it goes back to the age old question of "what's your meta like, what's the rest of your list like?" If for some magical reason you aren't fighting necrons, or elder, or tau, or ...several other armies and nobody runs tanks, and nobody runs any anti-tank weaponry, a landraider can be the bees knees. Or heck you can run it as a horrendously expensive "Distraction Carnifex" to make sure other things don't get shot.

As for me, I'd suggest you contemplate the Nemesis strike force that the guys above have already mentioned, and think long and hard about deep striking. Then how to improve deep striking so it doesn't ruin everything... Inquisitors with Servo Skulls? Aegis defence lines with comms-relay? Blood angels allies, 5 scouts for an objective or comms-relay camping and a priest with relic jump-pack that join terminators for more accurate deep strike, big middle finger to interceptor, and FNP?

Oh and if you don't love NDKs to tears you are missing out.

Archived