Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes

Okay, so, in short, Lord Inquisitor Soulis is sick and tired of being sick and tired (as my old English teacher used to say) of getting beaten-down in close combat, or of not being able to do much damage with his trusty power sword. I love the model I converted and think he looks awesome but, he just isn't living up to the character's reputation on the tabletop.

So, it's time for the Saviour of Valka to invest in a new set of Tactical Dreadnaught Armour (readers may recall his first was blown up by a Catachan demo charge). I'm thinking of basing him off of the Dark Angel terminator kit. The purchase would serve a dual purpose since my oldest son is starting a Dark Angel force and needs an extra terminator to augment Dark Vengeance (he wants his captain in TDA), and I think that the DA termies look pretty inquisition-ish. They are rather similar to the inquisition with their hunt for the Fallen come to think of it.

So, the question is, what gets your vote for the more fitting look for Lord Inquisitor Soulis? (

(1) The cape and big codpiece: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120101096_DeathwingTerminators02.jpg

(2) Or some robe/tabard action: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120101096_DeathwingKnights01.jpg

I think I'll go with a helmeted head (maybe the helmeted AND hooded head which would be real old school -- that's what the original 3rd Ed Soulis-in-TDA model had) this time around since I can't fit the puritan-style =][= hat on the TDA. I'm just torn on the body because they both look cool and fitting.

By the by, if it helps any, Soulis always wears gold armour, so whichever armour I pick its going to be gold. If we go robes, not sure what colour to paint the robes, either red or purple as those are the two main robe colours on the current model and warband (or black I guess as a third option).

Help me decide, brothers!

P.S. -- also, any ideas on sourcing or converting a psycannon? Sure I can buy the GK bit on ebay but the sellers there want $8 for the bit and in excess of $10 shipping to send the stupid bit to Canada which is outrageous (cf. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/40K-Grey-Knights-Terminator-Psycannon-Bits-1-Bitz-S-/380991704504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b4e00db8)

I asked as there's a PA one on ebay's UK site:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BITS-GREY-KNIGHTS-PSYCANNON-/121605167031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c503b97b7#shpCntId

Might work out cheaper for you. I've checked the two bitz suppliers I use to see if they have one (Termi version) and both are sold out. I've put in an email notification for the Termi version (hopefully won't be too long in coming back in stock).

If it helps, I could get one and send it on. Downside is, is that I have no clue how long it'd take sad.png

Must admit to using an old GK metal termy with psycannon as the basis for my Inquisitor mainly because I love the look of its armour.

But building from scratch I love Forge World's Legion Praetor models for their archaic armour. With some additional bits and bobs would make excellent starts for termy armour and power armoured Inquisitors.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Space_Marine_Legion_Army_List/Legion_HQ/LEGION_PRAETORS.html

Cheers

I

@Aquilanus -- thanks but I found a PA psycannon on eBay.com that's wasn't too bad so I already ordered one.

@Idsiah -- those are indeed great looking but if I was going to go Forgeworld I would buy Hector Rex. Love that model. But since I could buy a whole Deathwing box for less than Rex + shipping I decided to go that route and help my son out with building his army at the same time.

@Quicksilver :)

Cape and Codpiece.  That Codpiece could easily have the DA iconography removed and replaced with a large inquisition ][, thought the need to have such a large inquisition icon in that particular location may raise some eyebrows and some questions as to what he may be over compensating for...

Just waiting for some bitz to arrive from The Bitz Barn, then I'll be ready to start building. I ordered one GK shoulder pad, and a few other Inquisition trinkets from the GK terminator box for some extra Inquisitional "bling". I think I've settled on the helmet-and-hood look of the guy on the right in this pic: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120101096_DeathwingKnights03.jpg

I think it's fitting to go all old school, and that helmet/respirator and hood combo looks a lot like the old 2nd edition inquisitor in terminator armour model that I used of old for Soulis (not my model, but this is an example of the figure I'm talking about: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1179408516/gallery_25694_1012_122756.jpg)

• 2 weeks later...

For sure, the dude on the right is the most bad-ass.  He looks like hes just wallowing in power and authority!  I have been contemplating building a custom inquisitor for a while so I follow this thread with great interest! 

Your last link there seems to be a 404 btw..

-Brett

Finally got all my bitz together today after receiving delivery of my Bitz Barn order, and tested out some poses with blue-tac. Here's what I've come up with. I need to hack off the magazine for the psi cannon and put it on the other side I think, plus remove the skull, and drill the barrel. But other than that, I think he can be glued as is, plus a left over Coteaz thunder hammer I have:

med_gallery_66537_9465_192419.jpg

I went with the book banner thing from the Grey Knights kit for added old-school-ness since my original Soulis had a book hanging like that on one of those back banner things.

Here's me trying to hold the daemon hammer in place while holding the mini at the same time (the Blu Tac was unequal to the task of holding the metal bit in place -- it's from a Coteaz I converted back when the model first game out over a decade ago so nice solid pewter):

med_gallery_66537_9465_118986.jpg

Things were shifting around a bit as I tried to hold it, but you get the idea. I have to say, I'm really liking how he looks. He looks so bad that I might have to change Soulis' fluff to him being black (the power armoured version has caucasian skin) and played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Nice!  This model is super sick!   I really like how its turning out for sure dude, the hammer looks great too.   Side question for a potential inquisitor build.. when you trade in the wargear for Terminator armor, does that mean you can no longer take a Daemonblade on them?  I was reading over this last night and It seemed that was the case.. which would make me very sad.. though Daemonhammer is pretty badass anyway!

Once again it looks great!   I really like the whole model

-Brett

Archived