Mobile Predator Tank ?

GreyCrow

Greetings guys !

I frequently run a 4 Missile Launcher Devastator squad at higher points games, but after a few battles I mainly use the Krak Missiles over their Frag Variant I was considering equipping them with 4 Lascannons instead.

But a recent thread in the Raven Guard forums peaked my interest about the tactical interest of a Predator Annihilator instead. Playing a very mobile mechanized/jump pack army and not looking for absolute firepower efficiency from Turn 1 onwards, I got interested by the good redeployment options offered by a Predator Annihilator.

Compared to Devastators that usually stick to a spot and don't move, I found myself thinking about a Predator Annihilator that could either stand back and have fun shooting, or moving forward to position himself in Turn 1, sacrificing its firepower for a more aggressive vantage point Turn 2 onwards. In my opinion, that would mean redeploying 18" with Flat Out or 12" with Smoke Launchers with a position on the flank of the battlefield, if that meant I could flush the enemy out of their bunker position.

_____

Have anyone tried playing a Predator Annihilator in that fashion ? How did it fare ? Or do you tend to keep your Predator conservatively in your deployment zone ?

Cheers !

The big difference comes down to the effectiveness of the squad vs. the single tank.  The TL Lascannon on the Predator is very consistent (as are those on the Razorback, Land Raider, et al), but so is the Signum-buffed Lascannon Devastator.  Then it comes down to the fact that the Predator only has 2 additional lascannons vs. the 3 on the Devs.  That said, in the mobile type of game you're wanting to play with the Predator, you'll gain more in the long run that static Devastators.

This is really an age-old question, so IMO there isn't necessarily a wrong answer.  Both units are weak to specific types of shooting, so some of this might come down to what else you're planning on taking.  From my experience, the Annihilator won't want to be too far forward as this will emphasize its weak side armor and make it a bigger target, especially if you can't keep it obscured.

Thanks for the comment :) Yeah, overally they seem pretty comparable (with the devs having the potential of one extra shot as well and different mechanics for how they take damage like you mention).

I have a few Razorbacks and Rhinos, as well as a couple Landspeeders in that list. But I also have a lot of infantry ^^ So either one is good for target saturation. At 1850 points for example, without counting either the Predator or the Devastators, I have 40 MEQ wounds (including the HQ) and 7 other vehicles (including 2 fliers). I do plan to include an additional Dreadnought for 2000 points, so perhaps the Predator might help with armour saturation...

Good point for not moving him too much forward. Indeed, I'd try to take advantage of the front AV13. I was thinking of mainly placing it on a flank and pivot it so its AV13 is covering the most of the table, even if moved forward. Trying to outrange the enemies on the other flank and limit what can reach it, hehe !

Archived