My Blood Angels Successors, Angeli Dolorem

Azekellon

Hey guys, Just thought I'd put up my Blood Angels successor Chapter, which I have in plastic form (for the most part).

++ANGELI DOLOREM++

HOMEWORLD: Halla Primus (Destroyed: =][= Exterminatus), Now Fleet-based

FOUNDING:34th Millennium

GENE-SEED: ++PENDING =][= INVESTIGATION++

CHAPTER MASTER: Kalter Stahl

FORTRESS MONASTERY: Battle-Barge ​Righteous Fist 

MAIN COLORS-Red, White, and Black

BATTLE CRY- "For the Emperor And Sanguinius!" and "Semper paenitens, In servitutem cadere!"

CURRENT STRENGTH: Less than 600 Astartes, 1000+ Servitors, 1500+ Chapter Serfs

KNOWN DESCENDANTS: None

SUCCESSORS OF: Blood Angels

CHAPTER HISTORY

The Angeli Dolorem (Originally the Sanguine Dawn) was founded in the late 34th millennium, under the watchful eye of the Inquisition, to stand warden in the ++REDACTED BY ORDER OF INQUISITION++ The founding Chapter Master, Gallius Arvane, was drawn form the Blood Angels 1st company elite, as was his lieutenants, Chaplain Fillius, Apothecarion Roald, Techmarine Nexil, and Lexicanus Saeron. The initial founding of the Chapter was waylaid by a regrettable misplacement of the Chapter's founding gene-seed, but was later recovered and tributed to the Chapter at a later time.

The Chapter was allocated the Halla system in the ++REDACTED BY ORDER OF INQUISITION++ Halla, being a hellish ice world with a numerous indigenous human population was well suited to support the Astarte's recruitment base. 

Late in the 40th Millenium, after the demise of the current Chapter Master of the time, Pallain Morvak, 1st Captain Nero was elected to the lofty position of Chapter Master, with much dissent against the decision of the dying Chapter Master. Many felt the 5th Captain Kalter Stahl, or the 2nd Captain Skáld Corvus, was better suited for the spiritual and administrative leadership of the Chapter.

After this point, Chapter relations were severed with all other forms of contact with the outside world. for one standard decade, nothing was heard of the Chapter until the centennial tribute of gene-seed samples came due, with no word from the Sanguine Dawn. A representative of the Mechanicus and Inquisition was sent to Halla Primus, with a delegation of Astartes from the 1st Company elite of the Blood Angels.

Commander Dante Afforded his disapproval of the Chapter's seclusion, and decided that if the Chapter would not answer to the Inquisition, the would at least answer to his authority. When asked of why he was sending such a sizable force to Halla, he gave no comment. 

When the delegation arrived at Halla Primus, the ships were met with bursts of static, and ordered to divert course, by order of the Hallowed Scepter. (It is to be noted that Nero is assumed to be referenced as the Hallowed Scepter.)

The force immediately diverted, and requested aid of the 5th Company of Blood Angels who were received a short week later. Upon arrival, the forces of the Blood Angels Moved to bring the Sanguine Dawn to heel.

When nearing Halla Primus' orbit (approx. 5.2 million km) the force was contacted by elements of the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 10th companies holding garrison on Halla Secundus, requesting immediate aid an Inquisitorial intervention in the name of the Emperor. a small force was sent to investigate, and was soon deemed to be devoutly faithful to the Imperium. 

Linking up with the delegation, a combined force of loyalist Sanguine Dawn and Blood Angels assaulted the extravagant palace of Nero.

One year's worth of fighting ensued, wit horrendous losses on both sides. Warp Gates, spread across the surface of Halla Primus made the fighting harder than expected. Many of the 5th company Blood Angels were used as tactical advisers during the onslaught, at Kalter Stahl's request. 

The initial planetfall was a devastating maneuver on the Chaos forces, sending the Traitor elements running back to the palace of the Hallowed Scepter. Nero invited the remaining Sanguine Dawn to join in his corruption, but was med with harsh artillery fire and silence.

The loyalist forces then fought to encircle the palace, and lay siege to the Slaanneshi scum within. however, this quickly proved to be a daunting task. 

Halla's harsh climate was turned against the loyalists, hammering them with freezing winds, and unending downpours of sleet. The landscape itself seemed to rebel against the Loyalists, changing shape almost overnight, despite the dead tectoncis of the planet.

Eventually, the palace lay encircled by bloodied bloodied and angry Sons of Sanguinius. Artillery fire rained endlessly against the bone-lined walls of the Cathedral of the Scepter, smashing intricate buttresses and spires.

Eleven months of constant fire and pushes against Nero's palace proved to benefit the Loyalists. After cracking open the northeastern quadrant of the tainted palace, the 5th company of the Sanguine Dawn rushed inwards to end their foe. 

The Chaos elements, realizing their fate at the hands of their former brethren, fled the planet. Spires, loaded with the newly anointed Scions of the Scepter, broke away from the bulk of the fortress, and flew into a warp gate opened directly above.

Battery fire was thick in the air, but far too many of the "ships" made away into the warp with startling speed.

With the bitter taste of victory on their tongues, the Sanguine Dawn decided to end their blighted homeworld in fire. Kalter stahl submitted himself and his Chapter to examination at the Inquisition's discretion.

The Chapter now roams ++CLASSIFIED BY ORDER OF THE INQUISITION++ as a fleet-based Chapter. Since the Halla incident, the Chapter's battle-record has been nothing short of exemplary.

BATTLE HONORS:

-Phyrric victory against the Necron threat on Holcomb IV

-Victory against the Chaos threat of fallen Crucifiers, a complete anniilation of the foe on Kelfin Primus

-Victory against WAAAUGH Grotsnubba

-Victory during the 2nd/3rd war for Armageddon under Commander Dante's aegis

CHAPTER ORGANIZATION: Non-Codex Compliant,and it is to be noted there are no currrent examples of specialty units such as the Sanguinary Guard. It is suggested most of the Chapter Relics were destroyed with Halla Primus, or were too corrupted for use and were subsequently destroyed.

At this time, the Chapter rebuilds its strength under the cold gaze of Kalter Stahl. Time will tell if the Chapter survives...

FLEET ASSETS:

Battle-Barge  ​Righteous Fist 

Strike Cruiser Ardent Fire

Strike Cruiser Jubilant Brotherhood

Strike Cruiser Malcador's Pride

Strike Cruiser Baal's Sorrow

RECRUITMENT: As needed, where applicable Aspirants are viable

CHAPTER COLORS:

Angeli Dolorem battle-brother

Battle-Brother of the Angeli Dolorem

Brother-Captain Skald Corvus

Brother-Captain Skald Corvus

Angeli Dolorem Terminator

Brother-Elite of the 5th company

CHAPTER EMBLEM: A stylized black eye weeping three black tears on a field of white

COMBAT DOCTRINE: Shock/guerrilla warfare, void combat maneuvers, siege warfare

DISCLAMER: I borrowed the format from Grand Master Belial. Thanks, mate!

Is there any reason to have those parts in the texts redacted by the Inquisition? At the moment they only look like they are there because they look cool. I would suggest removing those parts and substituting them for actual content. 

Secondly, was exterminatus strictly necessary? So Nero and his subordinates had turned from the throne, sure, but was the homeworld corrupted at all? Were there warp gates or daemons abound? If not, then a battle for the planet would probably be more likely.

Is there any reason to have those parts in the texts redacted by the Inquisition? At the moment they only look like they are there because they look cool. I would suggest removing those parts and substituting them for actual content. 

Secondly, was exterminatus strictly necessary? So Nero and his subordinates had turned from the throne, sure, but was the homeworld corrupted at all? Were there warp gates or daemons abound? If not, then a battle for the planet would probably be more likely.

Redactions are for anything I haven't developed as of yet. It's convenient, and cheesy. As I work on fluff, It'll get replaced with DATA!!!!!!

It was the decision of the Loyalist Captains that the planet be expunged. The way I've played the Chapter on tabletop is "extreme measures first". I'm guilty of thinking in this manner, and I felt the fluff should reflect the way they've been on the table.

That, and I've never thought much of the final battle for the planet. I think, they wanted no part of what the former Sanguine Dawn had become, and decided to start afresh, this time more steeped in Sanguinius' legacy rather than celebration of the Codex Astartes.

Looking good so far. What colours were you thinking of doing for them?

Also, can I interest you in adding a short piece to this thread please? And, will you be joining us for the ETL?

I've updated the post with the stuff I made with the Space Marine Wargear painter.

And, I'd be more than happy to! Link this post, or copy/paste format?

Redactions are for anything I haven't developed as of yet. It's convenient, and cheesy. As I work on fluff, It'll get replaced with DATA!!!!!!

Fair enough, brother. So long as the redactions weren't intended as a story device. ;)

It was the decision of the Loyalist Captains that the planet be expunged. The way I've played the Chapter on tabletop is "extreme measures first". I'm guilty of thinking in this manner, and I felt the fluff should reflect the way they've been on the table.

That, and I've never thought much of the final battle for the planet. I think, they wanted no part of what the former Sanguine Dawn had become, and decided to start afresh, this time more steeped in Sanguinius' legacy rather than celebration of the Codex Astartes.

Ah. Slight issue, brother - the captains would not have the authority to declare an exterminatus. A chapter master would, though (and looking at the article so far, it is Stahl and not the captains who ordered this, or that's how it reads). Anyhoo, destruction of the Fortress-Monastery and an abandonment of the planet might be a feasible substitute, though, if you're open to an alternative to exterminatus.

Also, if the Chapter is disavowing what has come before, a good move may be going on a penitent crusade. It sounds good and there is a precedent for badly behaved Chapters to do this (voluntarily or otherwise). You're halfway there already with the Chapter submitting itself to the Inquisition, btw

Fair enough, brother. So long as the redactions weren't intended as a story device. msn-wink.gif

Ah. Slight issue, brother - the captains would not have the authority to declare an exterminatus. A chapter master would, though (and looking at the article so far, it is Stahl and not the captains who ordered this, or that's how it reads). Anyhoo, destruction of the Fortress-Monastery and an abandonment of the planet might be a feasible substitute, though, if you're open to an alternative to exterminatus.

Also, if the Chapter is disavowing what has come before, a good move may be going on a penitent crusade. It sounds good and there is a precedent for badly behaved Chapters to do this (voluntarily or otherwise). You're halfway there already with the Chapter submitting itself to the Inquisition, btw.

I forgot entirely of the Penitent Crusades! The only problem with that is the Chapters in question often are disallowed to take up new recruits. Also, with the destruction of the planet, I'll edit the fluff in a moment in that: Stahl was not elected until it was determined he was free of corruption. Up until that point, the 2nd Captain, Skald Corvus had been leading the Chapter at Stahl's deferrence.

It seems, no recruiting for the Chapter in question, until a certain objective is completed or a set amount of time has passed. Maybe this happens just in time for the 2nd/3rd war for Armageddon? An unspecified number of Chapters responded to Armageddon's plea for aid, and Commander Dante *was* given the reigns both times among the Astartes commanders. Maybe he wanted to keep an eye on them for their first deployment since their internal dispute?

The conditions of a penitent crusade can include not recruiting, but they dont have to include no recruiting.

Alrighty then. Seeing as they took up arms against their traitorous brethren, the Crusade in question may be relatively light as compared to the  Mantis Warriors.

• 4 months later...

Looking good so far. What colours were you thinking of doing for them?

Also, can I interest you in adding a short piece to this thread please? And, will you be joining us for the ETL?

I have colours painted- around 750-850 points total. I may hjoin at some point but I gotta get up to 1850!

Hey guys, Just thought I'd put up my Blood Angels successor Chapter, which I have in plastic form (for the most part).

++ANGELI DOLOREM++

(...)

(...)

Hey man, I`m new to the site (this is actually my very first post).

I like the colour scheme! I don`t know that much about Blood Angels to be of relevant help with the fluff I guess.

That said, it might be quite nitpicking but I as a german native think the name of your chapter master quite goofy:

"Kalter Stahl" is the translation of "cold steel" in german. If you want to give him a german name you could just google some figures from german history: Maybe from the MiddleAges or about ancient germanictribes, if your searching especially for "archaic" sounding names and voila: You got an okay german name!

(I just found this site http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/ancient-germanic , names and there meaning are explained, surely you find something like "great swordwielder" etc if you do a little research.)

Otherwise if you should ever play against a german speaking player (there must be some in the US I guess), it just sounds strange and awkward.

Maybe you want to have a goofy name for this guy, I don`t know... (Sure 40k got some pretty satirical qualities as well)

But I would change it, if you ask me. msn-wink.gif

++ANGELI DOLOREM++

(...)

(...)

I like the colour scheme! I don`t know that much about Blood Angels to be of relevant help with the fluff I guess.

That said, it might be quite nitpicking but I as a german native think the name of your chapter master quite goofy:

"Kalter Stahl" is the translation of "cold steel" in german. If you want to give him a german name you could just google some figures from german history: Maybe from the MiddleAges or about ancient germanictribes, if your searching especially for "archaic" sounding names and voila: You got an okay german name!

(I just found this site http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/ancient-germanic , names and there meaning are explained, surely you find something like "great swordwielder" etc if you do a little research.)

Otherwise if you should ever play against a german speaking player (there must be some in the US I guess), it just sounds strange and awkward.

Maybe you want to have a goofy name for this guy, I don`t know... (Sure 40k got some pretty satirical qualities as well)

My dad's gaming handle is 'Coldsteel'. my german is atrocious, but it is my "second" language. I was just giving my old man a nod.

I do thank you for the heads up! I'll probably rename the CM, and name a dreadnought that instead.

To kill! To kill! With cold blue steel!

As mentiioned, an Astartes Chapter can't just go around declaring Exterminatus. I'm not sure about a Chapter Master having that authority (Olis probably has a source but I just never seen it) either. Otherwise what stops a kill happy renegade chapter from posing as loyal and scouring a few planets before somebody starts asking questions? The Imperium is all about separation of powers and this seems to be pushing it.

Unless a lot of the population was corrupted in the process of Nero's fall or a large daemonic incursion broke loose, I don't see Exterminatus as being on the table. By the Imperium's thinking, getting rid of a whole planet's worth of production in a time where the lines are stretched to breaking as is, and just because an Astarte is a little butthurt, just doesn't make sense.

Also, why is the geneseed under investigation? It seems pretty clear that they are descendant of the Blood Angels. Why was Nero elevated to Chapter Master if nobody actually accepted him in this position? What made him and half the chapter fall to Chaos?

EDIT: Also, and this one isn't that big a deal, but I feel like the siege of a fortress monastery manned by ~500 Astartes shouldn't take a whole year. The Siege of Terra lasted 55 days. The Iron Cage was a 4 week ordeal. Stalingrad was a 5 month battle. But again this isn't that big a deal I guess. Just one of those things that caught my attention. 

++ANGELI DOLOREM++

(...)

(...)

My dad's gaming handle is 'Coldsteel'. my german is atrocious, but it is my "second" language. I was just giving my old man a nod.

I do thank you for the heads up! I'll probably rename the CM, and name a dreadnought that instead.

To kill! To kill! With cold blue steel!

I didn`t know the story about your dad`s gaming handle (by the way, what is a gaming handle, I don`t know this word).

I think what I wanted to say is maybe obsolete now, but a better expression for "sword" or "blade" in German would be "Blanker Stahl" (literally "naked steel" in English).

If you wanted something super-german in your army you could call a character "Arminius". As you seem to have german ancestors maybe you know this, but nonetheless: Arminius (or "Hermann" in the germanized version of the name) a famous figure in ancient germanic times, back then the place was a great wilderness only partly colonized by the Romans. He was an officer in the Roman army, but ultimately betrayed the Romans, led them in a trap and was responsible for a massive roman defeat (by using stealth and his knowledge of the natural terrain).

Plus: It is said he was named by the Romans because of his ice-blue eyes, which could fit "cold, blue steel" .

• 2 months later...

Instead of an Exterminatus option, what about what the IX legion did to the Signus Cluster? Section it off from future contact with the rest of the Imperium? Maybe as a reminder to the Angeli of what laxity buys them.

Archived