Prot's Thin Grey Line 1850 Batrep vs Dark Eldar

Prot

I was kind of hoping to face off against the Dark Eldar again and I was lucky enough to get them for this game.

I knew it would be a good test because my list was quite small as I expanded from 1k to 1850 in a very short time and this seemed the most... economical way to do it:

HQ/LoW:

Draigo

Libby1 Lots of toys, inc Liber Daemonica, WL3

Libby2 Cuirass of Sacrifice, also the relic Halbred (forgot the name) WL3

TROOPS:

5 Termies, Psilencer (accident and points got tight), Hammer, Falchions,

ELITE:
5 Paladins, 2 x Psycannons, Halberd, Apothecary, Hammer (Draigo and Libby1 went here)

FAST:

5 x Interceptors, Incinerator, Hammer, twin Falchions

HEAVY:

2 x Dreadknights, Swords, H.Incin, H.Psycannons, Teleporters

Assassin:

Eversor

That's it! That's 1850 Wow. What does that look like on the table? Not much...

med_gallery_2760_10611_136698.jpg

Here we go...

THE GAME:
Tactical Escalation (you draw up to the cards in your hands equal to the turn number: Maelstrom mission.)

My opponent, being Dark Eldar, got to go first. The deployment in this one was actually short table edges... that is to say we had the long way to go to get to each other which was just fine by him... cowardly xenos.

He won first turn, PLUS nightfight. For those unaware, DE love Nightfight since they ignore it when shooting against you. But Night is well lit by Incinerators!

DEPLOYMENT:

The cowardly Xenos lined along his short edge, and advanced enough to get shots. I apologize is this is difficult to see. I couldn't get all of his stuff in one shot because the cowardly xenos prefer hiding and spreading out to not smell the fear of their own kind.

gallery_2760_10611_231696.jpg

Now I was at a major disadvantag and did not want to shot to poop in turn one. I know his speed and jink are pretty insane, so I clustered up and braced for the worst in turn 1:

gallery_2760_10611_139557.jpg

I am literally on my board edge. Planning a counter strike. Everyone is on the table. I don't have a picture of the Eversor who could not get deep into his zone with Infiltration due to his deployment so just off screen to the left, behind a rock cropping the Eversor who really had no point in this game full of vehicles, hid there.

EARLY GAME:

- He went first, advanced and took a few shots at my Dreadknight, which I saved. He really didn't have much. His card was not doable at this time...

- I had my psychic powers ready to go... everyone had Gate, and FINALLY after 9 attempts (yes I kept track) ONE libby with Draigo got Cleansing Flame! FINALLY.

- After the Xenos got to do their pew, pew, I Gated out... and Cleansed away.... I managed to hit 2 squads with Cleansing Flame. My opponent asked how I could hit his passengers and I responded it was an open topped vehicle. He actually told me I had to roll to hit... which I really didn't know I had to with Nova's. (I never use Nova's.) I knew with Witchfire I had to, but I got lucky, and didn't miss.

The actual Cleansing Flame came out of a risky Gate maneuver but paid off in spades. The flames definitely had the Emperor's strength behind it, burning several occupents, blowing up the HQ's ship and setting them ablaze. Another smaller boat lost a hullpoint and occupents did more burning!

Shooting phase would down another boat, and some occupants.

gallery_2760_10611_412532.jpg

+The smell of bacon was everywhere as the Eldar fried in flames fueled by their ignorance. (See his burning HQ with Soul Blaze icon running for water relief on a dry rock planet... stupid xenos!) I end up with First Blood.

+ In turn 2 this is the scene: His bomber comes in, and my Libby 2 Termie squad is a little too close together as you can see above. The bomb is S9 AP2! It deviates a full 6" and lands on his little boat smashing it to bits. Whatever the filthy xenos worship, it appears to have abandoned them.

- I jumped up the Interceptors behind the Radar Tower. I would hope to suck him into the center for a counter punch.

- The Eversor (off screen) is trying to get to an objective marker for a point, but he would fail his run. His punishment? A ravager would one shot him with a S8 AP2 shot to install kill him, easily making him the biggest mistake of my list. (Just not suited to this list)

- I can't get many points, and he's reluctant to get too close. I perils on a Gate, but the Apothecary saves me the wound! At mid game I want his HQ dead, as points are hard to come by for both of us with the cards....

MID GAME:

- I draw another objective 2 card and need to own 3 markers at once.. ugh. He gets a point and we are tied at 1.

- He has lined up his poison shots, and is easily wounding the Dreadknights.....thankfully I made him Jink a lot and the passengers are having trouble hitting. I roll a fist full of poison wounds and a Dreadknight is down to 2 wounds.

- I want the HQ dead. They are on foot. Ironically the Emperor's cleansing flame is still burning away and 2 more of the command squad die. Draigo's squad pokes its head out and shoots the rest of them to death for Slay the Warlord.

med_gallery_2760_10611_41262.jpg

+ Above is Draigo's squad. The Paladins did very little. Just minor Stormbolter damage. I lost one Psycannon early, and the second one is doing okay damage, but my opponent has moved his ravagers, and I'm losing a Paladin at a time!!! The Troop Termies with Libby2 are grabbing an objective and tormenting a unit of filthy xenos off the bottom of the screen.

- The burning HQ above runs and dies. The Ravager above hits once, wounds once, and insta kills a Paladin with no FNP allowed. Ugh.

Mid game I go up to 5 pts to my opponent's 2 pts.

LATE GAME:

- The filthy xenos are going for points deep in my zone. The rest of the xenos have retreated into a giant arch of shootiness. One of my Dreadknights is dead from poison shots. The other is Shunting back to take care of a boat of eldar trying to score....

- Meanwhile I decide I want to take a chance and take the 5 Interceptors on the offensive and see if I can crack some retreating xenos....

med_gallery_2760_10611_38150.jpg+

+ Shunt and Punt! The Interceptors Shunt deep but they have no real support as Draigo has had to Gate back to his deployment to assist the Dreadknight. Here the Interceptor squad earns its keep as it hammers down a boat which is gone. But in the ensuing turn (above) the 3 remaining bikers, and a fighter let loose. One Interceptor would fall.

+ The three bikes decide to charge, and the Incinerator kills 2 in overwatch! The last biker actually gets off D6 st 6 HoW attacks! I take one wound, save it. Now the pain train of dual Falchions dissects the bike.

+ After consolidating, this Interceptor squad would make one more teleport over the rock cropping and bash (w/Hammerhand) a cowering Ravager to pieces.

ENDGAME:

- Just after I got to 6 points, my opponent gets a few VERY good cards, and gets a 5 point turn, bringing him to 7 and me to 6!

- The Dreadknight is back to defend the back lines. He would pop the inferior Xenos vehicle with Psycannon bolts, ripping it to shreds. The occupents were also on fire from the incinerator.....

- Some dirty Eldar would drop from the skies with wings, and with the poison shots from the grounded passengers would put out put two wounds on the Dreadknight!

- I need to get serious points. My opponent's forces are nearly dead. Before I can down the last Ravager it retreats, and punches two shots at my Paladin squad. I fail both 4++ invulns (Sanctuary) and they are both instakilled with no FnP again!

- This brings Draigo's Paladin squad and Libby2's Termie squad back with Gate to destroy the remnants of the non-flyers left on the table and try to grab a point:

med_gallery_2760_10611_147843.jpg

+This is endgame. The dirty Xenos are cornered, but the Dreadknight dies after flaming down the deep striking DE.

+ The Troop Termies on the ledge shoot up some DE off screen that fell out of the boat.

+ Draigo's squad 'cleanses' a little boat, and then assaults the occupants above, wiping them out. I need to teleport in the last turn to seal the deal....

- The last turn, my opponent has top of the turn, I roll snake eyes on two wounds. Two Termies die! I need one more objective to go up a few points!

- The unthinkable happens.... The Last Terminator and Libby 2 activate gate, and all seems well.... or is it????? Crackling air surrounds the two warriors, and teleports them right on target without deviation.... BUT they landed on terrain to be as close to the Objective as possible.... causing 2 Dangerous Tests!

- The Libby passes his test! The Terminator fails and rolls a 1. His armour save? A 1 ! HE DIES ON A STRAND OF BARBWIRE!!! The Librarian takes a moral test.... AND FAILS!!! He runs 6" OFF THE OBJECTIVE......

gallery_2760_10611_77982.jpg

++ As the libby runs from his 'warriors' dishonourable death upon a piece of barb wire, abandoning the Objective: "No ONE must hear of this on Titan... NO ONE!!!!" (All holo-recordings of this moment were mysteriously erased during the flight back to Titan.)

- This forces a mildly embarassed Draigo to Gate his squad back to the objective to secure it for a 2 point win. My opponent concedes on that comedic moment....

- Grey Knights get a very convincing win.....ironically the points were fairly close my opponent had only 2 flyers left on the table.

Thanks for reading this, I hope to do a little post game later!

Novas do not roll to hit, they automatically hit. They also can't hit units in transports, as a unit in a transport can't be targeted by psychic powers.

Good batrep though, glad to see GK ate working out for you!

Novas do not roll to hit, they automatically hit. They also can't hit units in transports, as a unit in a transport can't be targeted by psychic powers.

Good batrep though, glad to see GK ate working out for you!

Really? Even open topped transports? Ouch. That would have made a huge difference.

++EDIT++

After a quick search I see the immense debate this has caused on many 40K forums. I will take the conservative route and say 'no' from this point forward on hitting units in open topped transports. END OF DISCUSSION. 

Thanks!

Good game! Good batrep! Good narrative! Tremendously high quality barbed wire to take out a terminator like that too..

As for the psychic powers and transport debate, I think agreement before the game is the best way to go, just so both players are on the level, or get a house rule at your club so you wont run in to the issue every week. Personally me, myself, and I play it so I can't melt things inside a transport with cleansing flame, but that is just to stay on the safe side.

How did you find Draigo and his buddy Paladins?

Cool AAR, a few little errors but who has ever played a game where they didn't get something wrong? Nice to see you giving the Dark Eldar a hiding, they're one of my toughest match-ups!

- Yea I goofed up a few times, using a few things I've not used before. But even during gameplay I can think of a few things I'd definitely do differently in the future.  The last time I played Dark Eldar it was nasty. They are, imho, a very strong force against a Grey Knight type of army. They don't care that you have 2+ saves, because as you know, you'll be trying to make fistfulls of them.!

Good game! Good batrep! Good narrative! Tremendously high quality barbed wire to take out a terminator like that too..

lt things inside a transport with cleansing flame, but that is just to stay on the safe side.

How did you find Draigo and his buddy Paladins?

- Those Paladins are no pal of mine. ;) Bad jokes aside, it was like the very example people give on why they aren't worth it was demonstrated first hand in this game.

I've played Terminator heavy forces for a long time, but even Dark Angels Deathwing don't have access to multiwound Terminator squads. Getting hit with those Ravegers was a real test. It presented a real problem:

- Do I chase after fast vehicles that are autokilling me? Or ignore them and accomplish points? There was too much pressure in the beginning for me to go after them but as soon as I could spare a squad I went after it, but I had already autolost 3.

- Draigo did not suit this game. An 'ordinairy' Grey Knight seemed just as potent against these guys in CC. And with Force it was nice to negate their FnP. Like I've said in numerous posts, I think FnP is over accessible by too many armies that are too cheap.

- Ironically I used Draigo wrong and did not figure it out until the last turn. Ironically in turns when I got off Santuary, I should have moved up front and had him tank all those Ravager shots with a 2++.  I did that in the last turn against his lance shots, saving expensive Paladins.

- Paladins. If I take them again, in a 5 man squad, they will only have one Psycannon. In 5 men, with Apothecary, I only had one 'ablative' model. It was a waste of points.

Great batrep! I haven't played for a while but this has given me some impetus to get back in the saddle. Nice terrain too... Wish my local had that standard.

- Thank you very much for reading! I wish the games were all this close!

Hmm I think it's interesting that you say Draigo didn't suit the game where it seems that Gate of Infinity was pretty instrumental. Granted you can get that on a librarian too but relying on luck again. A 2++, FNP, multi-wound model is a dream tank for an expensive squad I think.

I mean to say I used him wrong. Going back, I would have had him tank from turn 1. In my stupidity I only saw the value in this as the game was ending and I had already lost 3 Paladins to single shots.

That being said I think the points are better spent elsewhere. I will be going to normal Tarmies for him, and getting some more bodies for the list. There is a certain stress I felt in having 3 legit squads to my opponent's 7 or so.... plus flyers! I feel very fortunate to have won that game by maneuvering to my advantage via Gate. (all Libbies had it so that was great.)

Yea, it's too bad he doesn't come with Sanctuary because I'd probably drop the libby entirely since he has Gate.... and unless someone has a great deathstar, I see they make wide circles around him anyway!

So the Paladins just get continually pew pewed.... And I have to literally corner a fast army like Dark Eldar (easier said than done to a fast army). 

That's fine. Other armies won't be able to run as fast! 

The thing is, I LOVE the model, and his character is the bee's knees. He truly is a beast... but man do you pay for him. lol

Archived