Prot's Grey Knight Hobby Thread: Voldus Page 4

Prot

Wow, that's an impresive work!.  very nice and smoth...

Congratulations..! ... Good weapons support

Thanks. As you know it's a bit of labour getting one of these things done!

Haha, rushjob.

He looks lovely, Prot. The blues are super eye catching among all the warm reds and whites (and I've always had a thing for icy blue-white :biggrin.: )

I appreciate that. It's not really a 'rush job'.... what I meant was it was time to move on. I had some issues with certain areas and you just get to a point with a model that you just think it's time to move on.

Great job, but the OSL is a bit off.

Really? I don't know. Maybe you could do a tutorial and give me some tips.  Don't forget he's quite blown up compared to real life. I did have to move on as mentioned, but where the OSL was most important I am happy with it. I did have to do some steps over and over as my air brush clogged horribly on some of those steps. 

My next Knight is looking to be a Chaos Knight though. This one played quite well in a game but I really don't feel this army needs it. In fact it can feel detrimental to my personal playstyle just because I love doing the double Libby Super Sanctic thing. This just isn't feasible with him in the list. But the shooty was really nice, even if in one game it means nothing against a bike army. ;)

• 2 months later...

Finally an update. It might be the last for a little while as I have so much to paint on my table right now it isn't even funny!

I wanted to finish the new Termie Librarian. His right hand is magnetized and allows me to swap in a hammer. Here he is conjuring up a Vortex as usual!! (is there any other Sanctic power? I didn't think so!)

med_gallery_2760_10663_162022.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10663_26385.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10663_120483.jpg

gallery_2760_10663_4938.jpg

gallery_2760_10663_13077.jpg

Draigo will be so happy to see his Vortex flinging, suicidal Librarian is fully painted. :wink:

Dammit!!! that librarian is awesome!... great job!

i really like it!!!

Thank you very much!

That is amazing work youve done there prot... I am seriously ready to pay you to do me the same one... name your price...

That's kind of you to say, but I just sold my Grey Knights this previous summer and am about halfway through rebuying/rebuilding them!

Wow, that Librarian is awesome. And yeah, that pose perfectly captures your playstyle

'Brother-Librarian, what does your second sight see?'

'Death'

'But do we win?'

'Erm...well the enemy lose...'

lol... kinder words were never said. I consider that a compliment and will put it on that Libbies' epitaph when he inevitably Vortexes himself into oblivion. :)

Wow, Prot. Your sweet metallics and icy blue witch-glows never fail to impress!

How did you go about doing the text in his backpack novel? It's so tiny and looks really well worn. Not like he can reach it to page through it if he forgets an incantation, but it looks like someone gets a lot of use out of it.

Thank you Flint. The lettering is just brush work... a brush and some dark brown paint.

As far as reading the book, it's kind of cool. He simply tugs on his red suspenders (disguised as crucial armour tubing) and it engages a joint mechanism on his harness tipping the book in front of him so he can read his vortex instructions. This is definitely awkward, and may account for the high fatality rate of Grey Knights sent on missions with him.

The base work is especially good; is that a solid sculpt or is there some kit-bash in there?

I love the up-turned hand with the glow in it. Nice work, sir.

• 1 month later...

Here we go again....

I have heavily debated this project. As some of you know last year I sold off my entire GK army, and decided to rebuild it with the painting style slightly changed. For all intents and purposes, this is hardly even noticeable... but whatever. lol

So the 'debate' has been if this is worth doing or not. I always have too many projects on the go and I JUST finished 3 major Ultramarine pieces including a very long, and labour intensive stint on an Ultra Stormraven (really like the finished look, but despise painting Stormravens).

Anyway here's what's on my WIP table and I'm debating the worth of finishing.

gallery_2760_10611_53034.jpg

My first Inquisitor. Yes, I said I'd rather not ally but this is one case where sheer boredom of the same list forced me to experiment with what I consider a 'logical ally'. (I will never ally purely for gaming advantage). Anyway, in playing him, it felt very cool in that some games could play out like a GK novel of sorts, yet he was very efficient, and not too terribly expensive in an otherwise expensive army. He provides 1D6 Scatter (3 x Skulls) and anti-Scout on those dubious White Scars. After experimenting he always comes with a Warp Charge, and a 'modified Psycannon'.

Second WIP project consideration:

gallery_2760_10611_204823.jpg

Between my Ultramarines projects (and a new Knight) winding down, I decided to force myself to do the arduous task of magnetizing all of these PA models so they can be put out there as Interceptors or regular dudes (purgs, etc).

I did the magnetizing ever so slightly different this time. And using a larger magnet in the back of the main body was a huge difference maker over the last ones I sold off. These sit a little more firmly.

But GK take me a very long time to paint. Often I don't think people can tell. The powerswords take me hours and hours... I can't even estimate how long it takes me to do 10 force swords but maybe I don't want to know. lol

So I'm debating putting the Ultra's away for a while and pushing through a chunk of these guys (plus some GK termies) -or- I may try a different astartes like White Scars or Raven Guard.

Anyway, that's where it sits now that I have the HQ's done, it would take a massive push to get through these troops and make the army have a bunch of colour in it again. ;)

I like the Inquisitor. Kinda wish he had a "real" psycannon though, but he still looks cool,

Yeah I magnetized all my PA troops too and had to experiment with the backpack magnet too. Too small and it's wobbly and too big it tends to show too much.

Thanks, but two things came to mind.... Psycannons are in such high demand... also by kind of making up a psycannon, my thinking is that if things ever change, it will be fine as a 'counts as' type of weapon.  That way I can mess around with his configuration without additional magnetizing... I'm so sick of magnetizing. ;)

Personally the only PA I magnitize are special weapons, and none of my GK have magnets. I only use pusifiers as far as GK PA goes and I already have a squad with 4 psycannons and one with 4 incinerators. If I want more then I can buy more but have yet to feel like I need more purifiers.

A new Knight joins the fray:

med_gallery_2760_10216_235635.jpg

On the left is my original Imperator Domus and now he is joined by the cagey (and this time magnetized!) Divinus Veridian.

med_gallery_2760_10216_352051.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_265599.jpg

He will be featured in a larger, multiplayer game I'm having later today, but with my Ultramarines army. Wish me luck... it's against the dreaded salmon of 40K... Tau.... 4,000 pts of Tau.

• 10 months later...

Since I am playing these guys specifically with my Grey Knights and Deathwatch, I might as well put these pics here:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Grey%20Knights/IMG_24451.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Grey%20Knights/IMG_24471.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Grey%20Knights/IMG_24501.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Grey%20Knights/IMG_24561.jpg

Unfortunately (fortunately?) these are sold though so I have to start a new squad shortly.

Archived