Prot's Grey Knight Hobby Thread: Voldus Page 4

Prot

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just finished Custodes squad 2. I don't think I'll sell this one. To be honest the time investment in these just isn't worth it.

This time I went ahead to try to challenge myself with the sword/blades. And I decided to stick with a light blue/purple crystalized shiny blade motif. I think it worked. It took much longer than my traditional power blades, but I think the process will be a bit easier now if I should do more of these dudes.

I still love these models. They truly feel like mini-primarchs when you're working on them! :smile.:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/AoI%20Custodes%20Imperium/Custodes%20Full%20Front1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/AoI%20Custodes%20Imperium/Custodes%20Shield%20Close.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/AoI%20Custodes%20Imperium/Custodes%20Full%20Rear%201.jpg

I am envious of your skills!

I would love to be able to paint ike that.

Thank you. 100 percent honestly speaking.... I really don't think it's skill... it's repetition.

Prot, I do love your work.

Did you sell your Ultras in the end?

I'm selling loads of mine piecemeal at the moment as I replace them with more recent kits...

Minigaming.com bought the whole army.

I had wanted to sell it piecemeal online, but they wanted the whole thing. I only sold the painted stuff and I don't have it in me to restart it. :(

Miniwargaming, eh?

I'm currently in the process of selling loads of my Ultras too, piecemeal, and you've probably saved yourself a lot of hassle :-)

If I was in Canada I'd have gone down to MWG for a campaign or something lol

Thank you. 100 percent honestly speaking.... I really don't think it's skill... it's repetition.

It's skill for sure!

I've painted hundreds of minis, and they're all crap. :wink:

To produce works of art (and they are art) like yours, is more than just repetition.  And I'm very envious. :smile.:

I'm sure you're being too hard on yourself. Seriously. After I finished about 2K of Ultra, I started really disliking some of the models I painted... sold the army to try and do a better job.

Last summer when I finally had GK up to about 2K painted, I really didn't like how I did some effects on the units, and the overall appearance felt like I could do better... sold the whole army (about 60% done the current one).

I just finished my Deathwatch Black Spear Strike Force. Felt I could do more to make the black armour not so blah... sold my entire strike force and am redoing it now...

It never ends. We all hate what we do. :)

Miniwargaming, eh?

I'm currently in the process of selling loads of my Ultras too, piecemeal, and you've probably saved yourself a lot of hassle :-)

If I was in Canada I'd have gone down to MWG for a campaign or something lol

I've spoken to them a few times, but to be honest I don't know what I'd bring. Probably something 'fun' and in the middle. They said they wanted a well painted Ultra army and they wanted the whole thing so I thought... why not?

Now though I realize that was 2 years of my life I'll never get back. lol

+ Here we have the painful results of my Stormraven. I hope to have better pics up shortly, but here we can see enough to know it's done for ETL 2015!

The doors are magnetized, as are the assault cannons (I haven't magnetized the lascanons but it could easily be done.) So the easiest swap is the 'push fit' Multi-melta to missile launcher if I ever need it.... and the Hurrican Bolters are a quick magnet flip with the normal doors.

It was a lot of hours, and I can't believe I was considering a second one... lol

gallery_2760_10663_17367.jpg

Just wondering, how did you do your decals/heraldry? Are they transfers or freehand or some other technique?

Im looking for good ways to add in heraldry on some GK vehicles, do you know if technical/drawing pens work over the citadel paint?

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.

Time to spill the beans on Shadow Wars and 8th edition projects.

I wanted to revisit my Grey Knights for Shadow Wars, but also use this as an opportunity to create an updated look using all that I had learned, or become just... more comfortable with in painting.

The goal here (and I did this with my Deathwatch too) was to create a few figs with relative speed, but attention to details that make a difference so I could create a decent table top quality in a short time....

This is my Shadow Wars team. All new except the heavy weapons dudes were WIP before I started this project:

gallery_2760_10663_71466.jpg

gallery_2760_10663_217831.jpg

The pics are okay... a little bit dark, but you get the idea.

Problem is I can hardly see my 'new' touches. The swords are a real pain. The process is longer this way because after the air brush is done I'm now doing a lot of wet blending on the blade to give them a 'stormier' look and then adding Lightning which you probably can't see....

The armour gets to a higher shine than my previous models, and the top down highlights in early stages actually have a blue hue added to them. There's more blues in the crevaces as well... I spent more time on shoulder pads, and a 'wider' transition in the golds on the should pads...... can't really tell now that I see it pics.

The idea was to do this team for Shadow Wars, but use it as an experiment for adding to the forces in 8th edition.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I had something new to post in this thread.

Since I sold my last GK army, I have been working on version three... I always have a little teak to the paint job and even if it's only something I seem to recognize, I like to update the army with something slightly different.

Here's a 90% complete Stormraven. Just have to finish some weapons and I'll call it done!.

gallery_2760_13921_28588.jpg

gallery_2760_13921_325473.jpg

Ya Prot, AMAZING. Do you ever enter any painting competitions? We need some GK to represent. Hope mine can turn out half as good!

Do you use an airbrush at all or just paint brushes? I've been thinking about buying an airbrush recently, but then that's just another thing to try and learn..

Thank you very much guys!

Voldus is amazing. Gratz.

Voldus was an absolute pleasure to paint. If you've painted as many GK as I have, you grow a strong appreciation for the amazingly, but subtle changes in his armour and trinkets that make him feel truly unique. What they're doing now with the moulds for the armour inscriptions as well is fantastic and would make for some great new GK pieces.

Voldus is my fave. I want to see some (new) fiction with him! I'm glad you like him.

Ya Prot, AMAZING. Do you ever enter any painting competitions? We need some GK to represent. Hope mine can turn out half as good!
Do you use an airbrush at all or just paint brushes? I've been thinking about buying an airbrush recently, but then that's just another thing to try and learn..

Thanks Soder. I have entered some competitions back in the day. I really don't care to now... I do some funky stuff on some figs, and it's just for me! Although I admit I enjoyed painting up my Ultramarines so much with the new stuff, that I did enter my force in the Indomnitus Crusade Painting contest and I won the store's "Gold" award with the Ultra's! That was cool, just because the campaign forced me to paint a lot, every week. (I think those contest pictures are in my Ultra thread in my signature).

About the airbrush... yes I use one a lot. For Grey Knights not so much though.

In fact if you look at my earlier Stormraven, only the 'smoke' and 'burns' on the engine were airbrushed, and the cockpit. However I do like to experiment. My goal with this version of Grey Knights (I'm starting from scratch as I sold the last one off) is to create a more... 'magical' look to the armour.

So with this Stormraven I airbrushed all metallics as well on the Raven AND Voldus. Why would I do this???

When people see the Stormraven in person they usually have pointed out how the metallics look cool... and glowy and I've been asked how... It's really simple. As the armour reaches its cleanest point, I feel there would be a magical (aegis) type of protective light eminating from it so I add "Space Wolves Grey" to the brightest silver I can mix. This gives a blueish/brigther hue to those parts of the metals. I really like how it turned out. Some experiments are not as successful!

For airbrushing subtle transitions like this I made a tutorial. This is for power weapons and shows how I hand paint the vs. airbrush them. Give it a shot one day if you can:

LINK: Prot's Power Weapon Tutorial.

Prot, Voldus is in the new Garren Crowe novel, "Castellan" I'm about 1/5th through and its a great read. It details what Crowe is up to at the exact moment the Cicatrix Maledictum splits the universe in twain.

• 5 months later...

So in relation to my other thread, I decided to put this here:

I decided to finish a few hold long over due pieces from my latest Grey Knight army... here's how they came out, and this is the entirety of what I have pretty much fully painted right now:

protgkarmyshot1.jpg?w=1024

gk-hq-shot.jpg?w=1024

Archived