"lost in the warp for 11 years"

EDIT:  Obviously i have made this my Black Templars WIP/PLOG... so enjoy /EDIT

I already made a post in new members, but I feel I need to report directly to the fortress monastery!

Hello y'all. I have played black Templar since 1999. Shut it down in about 2004 with the dissolution of my immediate circle of gamers. Getting back into it now.

So I've been lurking for a while on this board. Y'all have given me a lot of inspiration.

I will be rebuilding my crusade. With the acquisition of 2 tactical boxes, 2. BT upgrade boxes and a stern guard box folded into my existing forces I intend to build 4 crusader squads. For lack of better terms 2 shooty and 2 choppy. Fully 9 initiate and one sword brethren

The shooty squads will have bolters, a heavy bolter, a special weapon and the sb will have a matching combi weapon and power sword all in a rhino.

The choppy squads will have 5 neophytes with, 9 initiates and a sb, all with bp/cs except imbedded power fist special weapon and sb with power sword and matched combibolter. Both in their compulsory LRC. Leaving room for an HQ in the LRC.

I will have 6 sword brethren built all with power swords and combi weapons. 2 plasma, 2 melta and 2 flamer. Also 6 special weapon initiates, 2 each of plasma, melta, and flamer.

Seeing a pattern?

Plan is to move in matched combo and special to the appropriate squad depending on my enemy.

Throw in 2 HQ, i have several Marshalls chaplains techmarine and emperor's champion. Should be a fun fluffy army.

Sadly almost everyone I saw at the local 40k night were playing marines which will get old, and require I declare any "loyalist" opponents excommunicate traitoris before the match... Lol

Almost forgot, I have a predator, some land speeders, enough initiates for a devastator squad with 4 missile launchers, and a dreadnaught all for support... Guess I need anti air cus that is a thing now...

Edited by Canadian_F_H

Welcome Brother! We saved you a seat in the landraider ;)

I do love seeing a Brother in Black returning to the Eternal Crusade. I'm looking forward to some updates on your progress!

Might I suggest you grab a Stormtalon at some point? They are great units and will fill your 'anti-air' slot while adding fire-support to your troops. [Also, consider some neophytes eventually (close-combat scout boxes) to bulk up your choppy squads? A box of each will help fill out your transports!] - EDIT: Turns out I can't read well so late! Should have just gone to bed :P

Edited by Marshal Mattias

Welcome brother! Like marshal mattias I would recommend not one but two stormtalons. I like you used to use missle launcher devestators for anti air and... They aren't great. Grab two stormtalons with lascannon and assualt cannon and you are good to go. Now one thing that I found out very recently is two run everything in multiplies for effectiveness. I was for example extremely frustrated with my templars until I looked at my list. I had one assualt unit (LRC crusader squad) and it would die very game without making its points back. A guy at my club lenses me a second land raider one game and I found out that it was much better. Also try to take 10 in the land raider squad not 15 it's around 500 points that's a 1/3 of your points at 1500 leaving not much room for anything else. Happy crusading!

Thanks much. Pretty sure I said five neophytes per choppy squad. And my plan right now is to field 2 choppy squads in LRCs and 2 shooty squads in rhinos.

My long term plan is to change things up game to game tho.

Also to improve survivability from the enemy getting first turn and shooting me up I considered taking an allied imperial guard infantry platoon bare bones to string in front of my deployment and provide cover saves for the tanks... Cus IG are cheaper and thus superior meat shields right?

Another thought is since assault is a bit nerfed, and overwatch a hazard would it be viable to use scout snipers to pin enemy units before charging?

I'll be honest I think since every squad comes with frags automatically and LRC has or had assault launchers it would be a cool change if being assaulted from a lrc would force a pinning test before the enemy overwatch... Hmmm

Throwing my bit in there as well... do consider investing in a drop pod (or more) and a Stormraven (transport and serious damage output).

Termies and a Dreadnought are always good ideas, but definitely transport the dread carefully, depending on its attack type (CCW dread, pod it, or stormraven hot insert. Ranged Dread, best to walk it and rain fire!)

Another thought is since assault is a bit nerfed, and overwatch a hazard would it be viable to use scout snipers to pin enemy units before charging?

I'll be honest I think since every squad comes with frags automatically and LRC has or had assault launchers it would be a cool change if being assaulted from a lrc would force a pinning test before the enemy overwatch... Hmmm

Instead of Sniper Scouts forcing Pinning tests use Thunderfire Cannons instead, anything with Barrage rule causes a Pinning Test and Whirlwinds and Thunderfire Cannons do those jobs well.

Cool rule, but I think the Frag Assault Launchers on the LRC was built for Assault Terminators.

Instead of Sniper Scouts forcing Pinning tests use Thunderfire Cannons instead, anything with Barrage rule causes a Pinning Test and Whirlwinds and Thunderfire Cannons do those jobs well.

Cool rule, but I think the Frag Assault Launchers on the LRC was built for Assault Terminators.

I can see that now, but only for lightning claws. Of course back in 3rd edition when I bought a LRC, frags weren't mandatory on crusader squads either... But I can't complain, they are cheaper with free grenades now than they were without them back then. Edited by Canadian_F_H

Where does it say barrage causes pinning? I wish my TFC forced pinning tests. Scout sniper rifles don't foce pinning tests either.

Lost 11 years!? What happened, did you figure out astropaths are psykers? ;p

Edited by Jacques Corbin

Oops... I just checked now... it used to be that Snipers AND Barrage weapons caused pinning tests... it USED to be so I assumed it always was... so did my LGS... I guess that's gone too... :p

They should have kept it, it makes sense to drop down on the ground while being shot by weapons which you can't really see where its coming from... only the bravest (or dumbest) would brave the field not knowing where the enemy is shooting from, hence the Ld check.

What snipers don't pin any more!?

whiskey tango foxtrot!

Some Astra militarum stuff pins right? Mortar teams?

Oh some zealous neophyte got carried away and purged our navigator... So we promoted him to chaplain.

Lol, good one cousin! Rarely do I pass up a chance to give my pal Roujakis a hard time. I hope to have an epic match with him one day.

Whiskey tango foxtrot? That's military phonetic alphabet. Are you military or law enforcement? I am former US Army myself. Well met cousin.

I agree with the above on drop pods. Drop the dread, and/or the shooty ones in while the LRCs advance. Get a terminator chaplain, give him the primarch's wrath, and a squad of hammernators, in a LRC, to spearhead your forces.

Only marines does sound boring. My local club is small, but my Ravens have orks to butcher, tau to slaughter, and chaos to massacre, in addition to 'loyalist' Dark Angels, as well as Imperial Fists, and incoming Black Templars and Necrons. I am building a Dark Eldar army next. They think I am a ruthless trickster now, just wait until I get my DE together.

Edited by Jacques Corbin

Neither military nor LE. Just overly familiar with the subject. I did some R and D work for some Milspec stuff but that's about it.

Making surprising amount of progress with the new models... Should get around to some pics when they are assembled.

Oops... I just checked now... it used to be that Snipers AND Barrage weapons caused pinning tests... it USED to be so I assumed it always was... so did my LGS... I guess that's gone too... :p

They should have kept it, it makes sense to drop down on the ground while being shot by weapons which you can't really see where its coming from... only the bravest (or dumbest) would brave the field not knowing where the enemy is shooting from, hence the Ld check.

I'll never under stand why they did that I mean in war those are the weapons that pin your squad down besides HMGs. It's funny a big ole pie plate of doom from a basilisk doesn't scare anyone yet when the commander tells us to fire our lasguns a special way the enemy gets really scared and tried to go down into cover.

Right up to 6th ed. we were using rules that were slightly logical... come the 7th ed. and it just looked like a money grab scheme catered for collectors instead of gamers... Barrage weapons, Sniper Rifles and such were nerfed... if you want Pinning weapons you had to ally in other armies to get them... meaning you'd be focused on getting more kits that you probably don't have bits for... Psykers were now a big thing... meaning more individual models for psykers, or psykers that you could only get in a collectors box. AP2 is in abundance, which means Terminators would be left behind the curb... and they'll introduce units that are appalling to the eyes, but you'd need to get in order to get in with the Power Creep.

A lot of people are actually just going into HH, mainly because GW can't get their rules straight so they'd go to the Expansion set that has cool rules, cool models and fun to play...

TBH, I've thought about going HH, but I can't be bothered shelfing away my 3 Land Raider Crusaders just to buy a $200 resin Land Raider...

• 5 weeks later...

instead of a new thread i'll put this here...

prereinforcement

not a bad place to restart from.  this was mostly before they put out bts with ccw...

assorted HQ

i'm retiring the asmodai chaplain since i picked up the reclusiarch ccs box...

dreadnaught

Edited by Canadian_F_H

Completely missed this thread until now somehow. Welcome back to the Eternal Crusade, Brother!

Thanks. Once I have the reinforcements done I'll put them up too. It's a pretty massive overhaul...

It's so good to see that classic metal Marshal - mine suffered a lot of damage and has had to have his axe and gun replaced. That reminds me, I need to paint up some more practical weapon options (I re-did him for last ETL and gave him the Teeth of Terra and Primarch's Wrath!)

Yours looks beautiful and I wish I still had the option of giving him that fearsome battle axe!

Edited by Marshal Mattias

He does look awesome, but he comes from the days of tactical marines with the assault marine arms for crusaders... Nowadays he doesn't stand out much from a sword brethren unfortunately...

Sadly he will be relegated to castellan in smaller games when a hammernator or hammer storm shield biker would be cost prohibitive...

reinforcements wip

my reinforcement WIP its almost a small army in its own right.

anything with paint on it is either getting rolled into these squads or is being upgraded with special weapons.

Edited by Canadian_F_H