Starting out: Rangers or Vanguard?

so at this moment I can only afford 1 box of skitarii and I got it today, but before I even touched one I have to decide what to do with it. right now I want to split the box up with 5 vanguard and five rangers, but I can't decide how do do it with special weapons. (btw this is going off leaked and white dwarf stuff)

Option 1:

5 rangers with 1 arc rifle, 1 sniper rifle, omni-spex

-Alpha with Galvanic Rifle

5 vanguard with 1 plasma calvier, omni-spex

-alpha with arc pistol

Option 2: 

5 rangers with 1 sniper, omni-spex

5 vanguard with 1 arc rifle, omni-spex

-alpha with arc pistol

Option 3:

5 vanguard with 1 arc rifle, 1 plasma caviar, omni-spex

-alpha with arc pistol

I like...

Option 2: 

5 vanguard with 1 arc rifle, omni-spex

-alpha with arc pistol

... because to me it is more focused. Flexibility is important, but only when you have a few more meat shields? tool boxes? bodies!

It's also 190 points, lower than the others at 205 and 220. They can easily be mixed in with your future purchases. Another saver is vanguard and ranger special weapon carriers are the same in gear, so they could be swapped into each other's unit if desired.

Magnetize the heads on three guys (or just use the ranger heads for both variants, hoods>helms).  This way your three special weapons troopers can go with either the ranger or the vanguard squad.  This gives you room to experiment and not suddenly have to buy a box just for one weapon later because you choose unwisely in the begining.

FWIW, I can already say the Arc Rifle and Arc Pistol are probably pro choices.  Haywire spam will likely be the Skitarii's stock and trade, and the Arquebus (while amazingly cool) is probably not going to be much use in most games.  On a side note, I'm really on the fence about Rangers compared to Vanguard.  While the former have better firepower at 12" range, I think the points discount on the Vanguard is going to be a significant factor for the Skitarii as a faction.

I think a few of the arquebusses will have their place in the army, and the rangers are the right unit to take them. There are not a lot of AP3 precision shot sniper weapons in the game, and I could see these being great for taking out particular threats like grav bikers...

FWIW, I can already say the Arc Rifle and Arc Pistol are probably pro choices. Haywire spam will likely be the Skitarii's stock and trade, and the Arquebus (while amazingly cool) is probably not going to be much use in most games. On a side note, I'm really on the fence about Rangers compared to Vanguard. While the former have better firepower at 12" range, I think the points discount on the Vanguard is going to be a significant factor for the Skitarii as a faction.

Don't forget that Rangers have the Move Through Cover USR, so have an easier time getting Haywire where it's needed.

FWIW, I can already say the Arc Rifle and Arc Pistol are probably pro choices. Haywire spam will likely be the Skitarii's stock and trade, and the Arquebus (while amazingly cool) is probably not going to be much use in most games. On a side note, I'm really on the fence about Rangers compared to Vanguard. While the former have better firepower at 12" range, I think the points discount on the Vanguard is going to be a significant factor for the Skitarii as a faction.

Don't forget that Rangers have the Move Through Cover USR, so have an easier time getting Haywire where it's needed.

And the rumoured The Skitarii Maniple Force chart which gives all units Scout. The move through cover + Scout move can result in most forward vehicles getting smoked on turn one tongue.png

I'm giving all my models hoods, as its a tricky choice deciding which unit gets which weapon. Plus I like the look.

And the rumoured The Skitarii Maniple  Force chart which gives all units Scout. The infiltrate + Scout move can result in most forward vehicles getting smoked on turn one :P

I'm giving all my models hoods, as its a tricky choice deciding which unit gets which weapon. Plus I like the look.

But the units that can take haywire don't have infiltrate...

And the rumoured The Skitarii Maniple Force chart which gives all units Scout. The infiltrate + Scout move can result in most forward vehicles getting smoked on turn one tongue.png

But the units that can take haywire don't have infiltrate...

Yes, ment to say just move through cover + scout ;)

Yeah, you guys make good points.  For me, 2 points per model is a big difference from a min/max standpoint so I always like to argue the benefits vs. cost as much as possible.

I think I got a little too hung up on using the Arquebus for anti-tank, and forgot that Sniper = Precision Shots.  That said, it's only 3 Precision shots maximum, and I'm not sure if I'd rather play those odds or simply take 3 Plasma Calivers and just go for torrent of fire (though I suppose if you're using Rangers, you can stack their Galvanic Rifle PS with the Arquebus).

There's still some rumblings that a variant of the Onager may have transport capacity . . . not to mention the main codex release, and allies.  Until we have confirmation on transports, I think Rangers vs. Vanguard will be a tough call to make.

I preordered the codex but... I just wanna build something =( it's a long difficult wait, this week.

I hear you on that. The pre-orders I made on day one aren't scheduled to arrive until next week.

So much for having it at your local GW store upon release. Let me not complain.

“I must not complain. Complaints are the mind-killer. Complaints are the little-deaths that bring total obliteration. I will face my complaints. I will permit them to pass over me and through me. And when they have gone past I will turn the inner eye to see their path. Where the complaints have gone there will be nothing. Only I and my models will remain.”

I picked up two boxes of troops and a dragoon- all I could afford. I think we have a pretty good idea of the codex at this point, especially now that the detachment force org has leaked.

Knowing that 2 troops were going to be a req., I went with the following:

5 rangers- 2 arquebuss, 1 omniscope

8 vanguards- 2 arc rifles, 1 omniscope and a leader with a taser goad.

I haven't built the others, as I am waiting to see if I get one more box of troops or not after the codex. If I do, I will make a max squad of vanguards with the three arc rifles, but if not, I am going to build the remaining models and make a third squad of rangers with the two plasma guns. Will break out the squads 6,6 and 8....

There is a crazy pistol relic that fires 3 str5 ap2 shots, might be good with one of the units.

Yeah, I'm freaking out waiting to get the codex and thinking of army builds.  The wait for Onager spoilers is driving me bonkers . . .

How much does that relic pistol cost?  Did they spoil it?  It sounds like an awesome stack with Plasma Caliver Vanguards.

Yeah, I'm freaking out waiting to get the codex and thinking of army builds.  The wait for Onager spoilers is driving me bonkers . . .

How much does that relic pistol cost?  Did they spoil it?  It sounds like an awesome stack with Plasma Caliver Vanguards.

Its 25 pts.

If you download the preview of the enhanced digital codex from ibooks it gives you access to the whole glossary for the codex- theres a lot of interesting info packed in there- definons of all the special rules, warlord traits, relics, etc...

I'm an old salt. Hate the digital stuff; need the feel of paper and ink in my hands or it's not a codex! pirate.gif

That said, good info. It's a bit steep for the shots it brings but I suppose if you're in for the Plasma spam what's a few more points, eh?

edit to that top post, regarding Skitarii Rangers: Just realized that Rapid Fire is not 12", but half max range. So Rangers are throwing 2 shots at 15", then. Hmmmmm. That's a horse of a different color, for me . . .

I preordered the codex but... I just wanna build something =( it's a long difficult wait, this week.

I hear you on that. The pre-orders I made on day one aren't scheduled to arrive until next week.

So much for having it at your local GW store upon release. Let me not complain.

“I must not complain. Complaints are the mind-killer. Complaints are the little-deaths that bring total obliteration. I will face my complaints. I will permit them to pass over me and through me. And when they have gone past I will turn the inner eye to see their path. Where the complaints have gone there will be nothing. Only I and my models will remain.”

That is genius.

Magnetize the heads on three guys (or just use the ranger heads for both variants, hoods>helms).  This way your three special weapons troopers can go with either the ranger or the vanguard squad.  This gives you room to experiment and not suddenly have to buy a box just for one weapon later because you choose unwisely in the begining.

I think this is probably the way to go - just means I need more magnets though...

Its 25 pts.

If you download the preview of the enhanced digital codex from ibooks it gives you access to the whole glossary for the codex- theres a lot of interesting info packed in there- definons of all the special rules, warlord traits, relics, etc...

That feels like cheating D= 

damn gw for making the digital version actually superior regarding the admech!

anyways, it feels a little too expensive for me on anything other than a plasma toteing squad. 

i'm thinking of making an inquisitor a counts as tech preist for my army though, but I want to ask first: can you actually start skitarii units in allied inquisition chimeras or are they only for henchman squads?

As far as I know, all Armies of the Imperium are Battle Brothers, and so can swap and borrow transports at will.  I think it'd be fine to swap the Chimeras, but keep in mind that your henchman will need to walk.

Its 25 pts.

That feels like cheating D= 

damn gw for making the digital version actually superior regarding the admech!

anyways, it feels a little too expensive for me on anything other than a plasma toteing squad. 

i'm thinking of making an inquisitor a counts as tech preist for my army though, but I want to ask first: can you actually start skitarii units in allied inquisition chimeras or are they only for henchman squads?

If it's a dedicated transport only the unit taking it can start the game embarked. If the transport is taken by itself though battle brothers can start in it no problem.

Archived