Hurricane bolters

LutherMax

Does anyone find them useful? I don't know what all the hype there is about a crusader over say a redeemer. I mean it just shoots Boltgun shots, which you must already have plenty of playing as a space marine army.

They are twin-linked bolter shots, which you do not get so much unless you run a lot of bikes. The crusader is generally regarded as better than the redeemer for a combination of several reasons: greater transport capacity than the Redeemer. A crusader can fire all its weapons (including the multimelta with increased penetration) at targets within 9" whereas the redeemer needs to be within 8". If you do not care about the melta special rules the alpha strike can go out to 12", and even at 24" you still have shots from the sponsons and the assault cannons.

@Luthermax: Magnetize everything. That way you can switch load outs from battle to battle. You may also want to look up the math hammer for TL lascannons vs TL assault cannon. IIRC the lascannon does not perform that well (with the exception of using it against AV 14)

I'm not a fan of hurricane bolters on Storm Ravens, given the exorbitant price point.  Really, your Storm Raven should be busy enough shooting its other guns at opposing flyers/tanks rather than wasting time on infantry units.

I like the hurricanes a lot on a stormraven. It's a guaranteed 10-11 hits for 30pts which is a very good ratio, and being able to clean up light and medium infantry makes the raven a lot more versatile. I miss them whenever I don't take them. :)

I disagree

The storm raven is unlikely to fire them often enough to be worth it

At best, it will shoot 3 times

Two main guns and two missiles

Two main guns and hurricane bolters?

Don't see the utility myself

Its a tank smasher

The crusader is the best raider, transport capacity aside it can pots the mm and blaze away at infantry with the rest

Hello, DominicJ!

Remember you can fire FIVE weapons per turn thanks to machine spirit!

Normally You will run out of the missiles T3. (T2 enter Sturmraven, fire 3-4 missiles & main weaopn(s), T3 the last missile is fired.)

Still I would never ever take Hurrican Bolters. A tac squad is more than double the points, but 1) It is obligatory to take troops 2) objective secured and 3) HEAVY FLAMERS !!! (I personally never take tac squads. Scout sqads are cheaper and their combat capacity is equal to / double than / half of that of tac squads - zero.)

Captain Obvious

A tac squad is more than double the points, but 1) It is obligatory to take troops 2) objective secured and 3) HEAVY FLAMERS!!! (I personally never take tac squads. Scout sqads are cheaper and their combat capacity is equal to / double than / half of that of tac squads - zero.)

1) Scouts are troops and cheaper.

2) No Ob Sec if you use the Baal Strike Force.

3) Needs a drop pod to get the most of this.

30pts for 12 Twin Linked shots is fair, however it makes the unit very expensive.

I disagree

The storm raven is unlikely to fire them often enough to be worth it

At best, it will shoot 3 times

Two main guns and hurricane bolters?

Don't see the utility myself

Its a tank smasher

The crusader is the best raider, transport capacity aside it can pots the mm and blaze away at infantry with the rest

Also, the angle fo firing on the Hurricane bolters makes them less than optimal. They are nowhere near as moveable as the sponsons on the Land Raider Crusader.  You'll never be able to target the same unit with them, so even with POTMS, you'll only be firing one set at a different target than the prmary guns.  The 45 degree down angle limit and the narrow firing forward only firing arc simply  denies huge swaths of the table as viable targetting zones. 

Assault cannon, heavy bolter and hurricane bolters is my favorite loadout for Raven, as I usually have more than enough anti-vehicle weapons. I face lots of FMCs, and I find volleys of rapid firing weapons superior to high-strength single shot weapons.

Also, against the nastiest vehicles like Serpent and necron transport lascannon and multi-melta won't do a lot, so I use raven to shoot infantry and MCs and leave vehicle hunting to assault marines and bikers.

Hmm looks like hurricane bolters on Storm Raven is split down the middle.  I'm still not convinced, but I can see the arguments for paying the cost.

That said, I do LOVE the Land Raider Crusader (first LR I had in my army over a decade ago) so I guess you could say I am partial to H-Bolters!

A tac squad is more than double the points, but 1) It is obligatory to take troops 2) objective secured and 3) HEAVY FLAMERS (I personally never take tac squads. Scout sqads are cheaper and their combat capacity is equal to / double than / half of that of tac squads - zero.)

1) Scouts are troops and cheaper.

2) No Ob Sec if you use the Baal Strike Force.

3) Needs a drop pod to get the most of this.

30pts for 12 Twin Linked shots is fair, however it makes the unit very expensive.

And that my friend is the very reason why I always take scouts instead of tac squads!

Captain Obvious

I think if you have the points available (30), then the hurricane bolter sponsons on a Stormraven can be a good investment.  Since it is often carrying passengers, and throwing dice downrange is extremely important in the early game, 6-12 twin linked bolter shots on turn 2 makes up for the lack of dice from the transported unit. Plus IIRR the doors on the Stormraven are the same as on a Landraider, so making one magnetized set is a good value to your collection! Plus, as stated, with POTMS you have the option of shooting up another target (like the opponent's scouts)...imagine in a larger game having the Stormraven/stormtalon formation...the Stormtalons make the Sotrmraven shooting better...

I'm a huge fan of the hurricane bolters on the stormraven - being on such a fast platform means you can bring them where they really hurt whenever you need to. If an opponent leaves a vulnerable unit (anything with 5+ armor) out of cover for a turn, the stormraven can zoom in and blast it out of existence. I've removed entire harlequin and guard squads that way, and with POTMS you can usually still shoot at a different target with some of the heavier weapons.

Not to mention that once your raven is out of missiles, it only shoots 2 shots a round without the hurricane bolters, which is sad. Note that I usually run LC + MM with the hurricanes, so if you run assault cannons you might not feel the sting of not throwing those extra dice as much.

My StormRaven usually flies empty with LC, MM and the Hurricane Bolters.

I used to run it without the bolters, but I would find occasions when I was wasting a lascannon shot at an Ork Boy or Guardsman just becuase there was nothing else in sight.

Plus, when you are all out of missiles, you are down to using 2 guns a turn wasting the ability to shoot so many more.

I always put on the hurricane bolters, and usually get my moneys worth. They are a god send for removing back field campers, and make it much more versatile in general. I usually have multi melta, assault cannon, and hurricane bolters. I can generally target anything with it and have a decent chance of doing something to it.

I suppose Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter / Missile Launcher, Hurricane Bolters provides a lot of Geq\Beq\Feq\Eeq killing power, but mines there primarily to bash enemy fliers and vehicles, I dont struggle gutting light infantry.

But if it works for you, 

Archived