Nielfheim Planetary Guard- The 2SSF and the 172AD-WIP

The 2nd had it's first battle today, against Tau.

Buildings and weapons emplacements were usable, so there were many guns on the field.

The opponent was using a Battlesuit list,  and I took everything I had. I won't go into list details, but aside from a few tactical mistakes, the game was in my favor starting turn 1. I was able to drop my vet squad into cover, with a quad gun which I was able to use to force his piranhas to jink. Without some method to ignore cover and get around that jink save, I had an incredibly difficult time with the skimmers and flier. 

Slight review of orders, Bring it down! was incredibly useful for finishing off a riptide, in addition to the suppression fire order from the MT codex. Coupled with an insane amount of plasma fire. In 3 turns of shooting only one stormtrooper self destructed due to gets hot, without needing twin linked. One Armored sentinel lost a HP to gets hot. My vet squads took the brunt of the shooting, while the stormtroopers were able to survive. The Taurox primes performed quite well also, only loosing 1 hull point. 

My opponent surrendered as we were about to go into his third turn, realizing that he had had a slim chance of pulling a victory. This was his first game this edition, and he was using my Tau (His armies are in disarray at the moment). 

Chalk up a win for the fighting 2nd! My friend has his own tau, necrons and chaos that he intends to repair and finish, After which I will post another update on the Brigade's Combat Record.

Yeah, We had a ton of fun. It was our second game of the day, we'd previously played Tau Vs Space Wolves, He played Wolves and I played Tau (We both wanted something different), which once more the forces of the Imperium triumphed. 

It made me realize a failing in my tau army, they are very susceptible to drop pods and deep striking. It also got me re-thinking my strategy with my guard. I went with Elysian grenadier demo melta vets in a valk, and what I really needed was some infiltrators, and auger arrays, since I had 2 squads of stormies get delayed due to mishaps. so I need to make my deep strike more reliable. 

I also need help figuring out how to get around that 3+ jink save.

I went through my list, and made some structural changes, removed the Elysian stormtroopers, and added a fourth (7 man) squad of scions. I put my regular IG Command Squad in a HB chimera (will be proxied by a HB razorback until I can get a Chimera), to keep them mobile and better protected.

I had tried out some of the new stuff for the knight, but it didn't really come into play, so I removed all of that, just taking my base paladin. Which allowed me to put Auger arrays on all of my vehicles. 

The TL gatling guns on the Tauroxes worked great, most of the time twin linked letting me hit with all 10 shots. 

The Imperial Guard's 2nd Special Service Force "The Devil's Brigade

Nieflheim

The world of Nieflheim has been known since long before the rise of the Imperium, it was named for a place in Norse mythology. The discoverer named it such, as the planet's many verdant, lush valleys and craggy fjords were often blanketed in thick layers of dense fog. Much of the world is covered in mountains and hills. They range from new peaks that pierce the stratosphere to old rolling hills covered in trees. Many of the ranges are rocky and arid, casting vast rain shadows over the lands. Most in the Imperium would classify Nieflheim as a deathworld, or at the very least a feral world, as it's harsh and varied climates are generally considered too extreme for human habitation. Despite this, the original settlers were able to tame the world, though, even to this day, venturing out into the wilds unprepared is to invite death. Unprepared, the varied creatures would devour the unwary traveler. The equatorial jungles are teeming with dangerous wildlife, and the temperate regions are home to large and dangerous mammals. The deserts are hellish, and the oceans are tumultuous and teeming with dangerous cratures. The weather in many regions is extreme, wind storms that can throw men about like rag dolls, and storms that regularly drop hail the size of men's fists. In many ways Neflheim is much as Terra once was.

However, it is in the lush river valleys that Civilization blooms, advanced to a level of a civilized world. The industrial sector, while not as vast as an industrial world is sizable enough to provide for the citizens. Overall the quality of life is good, Cities are small, and are centers of trade, administration, and entertainment only, very few people live in the cities. Military service is mandatory, and there are different levels of service, 4 years active duty is required of everyone, after which you may be released to the reserves, This allows the world to remain fortified, while still allowing for the freedoms allowed on Civilized worlds. The PDF is a fully combined arms force, with Airborne forces, Armored forces, and Infantry forces, as well as traditional Naval forces. The Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy also maintain a presence here, a small fleet in orbit to patrol the subsector. The Imperial Guard forces include the Elite Stormtroopers of the 2nd Special Service Force, a brigade sized formation of Light Infantry, and the 172nd Armored Division, Made up of 4 regiments of tanks and infantry.

Though the world has been known since mankind first took to the stars, and was never really lost to imperial records, the Horus Heresy caused the Imperium to lose contact with the insular Nieflung people. Contact was reestablished in M35, by expeditions from both the Adeptus Mechanicus, and Adeptus Ministorum, both were shocked by what they found. To the Mechanicus, they found a world with a significant industrial base, that rivaled an industrial world, but maintaining an efficiency and technological base of the early days of the Imperium. The Ministorum found a productive world that was devoted to the Imperium, but lacked the guidance of the Imperial Cult. Both groups quickly found themselves unwelcome among the people, as they viewed prayer as being as likely to solve a problem as a swift kick. This practicality has allowed them to survive their harsh world, and progress their society.

The World of Nieflhiem was spared much of the fallout from the Horus Heresy, including the decline of technology and science, and the rise of the Ecclesiarchy. Many of the cultures of Terra that was, found purchase here when the world was colonized, and survive to this day.

The people of Nieflheim are warriors, and they take to their lives with the vigor one would expect. All the people of Nieflheim are hardworking, realizing that only the things that are worth working for, are worth having. The continental steppes are dominated by farming and ranching communities, while the coastlines are mainly fishing communities. The Highlands are herding and farming communities, while the lowlands and foothills tend to be the industrial base, with river valleys and deltas are the primary trade centers. The World is one cooperative concern, that would make many civilized worlds envious. Though on many worlds this would breed complacency, such attitudes are dangerous on Nieflheim, as everyone knows, the careless rarely live to learn from their mistakes.

"The Black Devil's Brigade":
Motto: Out Front!
           Oderint Dum Metuant!

Brigade Commander: Colonel Soren Ivaarssen 

A towering individual of respected stature. He has commanded the Brigade for the last 25 years, and been a member since it was rebuilt after the first tyranid incursions. He has commanded the Brigade against Necrons, Tau, and renegades, to great degrees of success. He hails from the Highlands, and was a graduate of Nieflheim's premier military academy. His first assignment as a Lieutenant was a platoon command, during the Second War for Armageddon. He would later serve as a Captain, commanding a Company, during the first contact with tyranids, a battle which would leave him scarred for the rest of his life. He has proven himself a flexible tactical commander. When he was a Lieutenant, he ordered his men to fall back to a more advantageous position, and to draw an Ork Mob into an ambush. The Commissar was about to execute him for cowardice, but then Lt. Ivaarssen spun around and knocked the Commissar unconscious. When the man awoke, he saw Ivaarssen standing over piles of dead orks, having held the line. His courage has become legend among the men under his command. Some say he felled a Carnifex with naught but a combat knife, others say he could rip the teeth from Ghazgull's mouth, while still others say he once glared a Daemon prince to death. None of this is confirmed, but then, none of it can be proven false either. All that is known is that allies respect him, and enemies fear him.

Enlisted Advisor: Command Sergeant Major Ian Robinson

He has been the Sergeant Major for the Brigade for almost fourty years,and was one of the survivors of the Expedition to Klybos. He is a stern man, but well respected by all of the men in the Brigade, and Colonel Ivaarssen greatly values his counsel. CSM Robinson is a force of nature, at times he is calm and pleasant, but when he is disturbed, he becomes an unstoppable tempest of destruction, that leaves broken husks in his wake. He is both the respected father figure, and the brutal disciplinarian, that many would expect of such a seasoned soldier. He is a veteran of countless battles, and numerous campaigns. He is known to harbor a deep seated hatred for chaos, as during one of the infiltrations by chaos, his family was victimized by a pleasure cult. He personally hunted them down and slaughtered the cult to the last man, by himself. He is deceptively simple, hiding a brutally cunning intellect and resourcefulness, not typically found in the enlisted ranks.

Lord Commissar: Thaddeus Gant

He is known to be a fair man, rarely harsh in his judgements, and the commissars that report to him are equally rational. He takes the morale of the brigade very seriously, and does everything he can to ensure that the men are treated well. He has learned that he must be careful in assigning commissars in the brigade, as only the most unorthodox Commissars survive. While he considers himself merely and advisor to Colonel Ivaarssen, he is a capable combat commander in his own right. He feels that leadership must be by example, and often takes command of some of the most dangerous missions, usually with the Sappers of the Brigade Engineers Battalion. He asks nothing of the men, that he himself would not do, and is greatly admired by the Brigade. He has served with the brigade for the entirety of his career. During his time with the brigade he served with only two commanders, the first having lost his life when a Tau Crisis Battlesuit destroyed his Command vehicle. Gant is known to be very approachable, and is often a source of guidance to the Junior Non Commissioned Officers of the Brigade.

The Brigade:

The 2nd Special Service Force, or the Black Devil's Brigade, as they are known, are fierce fighters, Highly trained men, each exceptionally skilled, they are not widely known. They are the Imperium's silent professionals.

The name of the founder has been lost to the mists of time, and the Brigade has existed since the founding of the colony of Nieflheim. They are heirs to an ancient military tradition, ranging out ahead of the main force. They disrupt the enemy's ability to fight effectively, either by eliminating key positions, or targeting key individuals. They are a highly effective raiding force, and are often tasked with the most difficult missions. Due to the rugged nature of their homeworld they are skilled mountaineers, hunters, and trackers. Many of their skills are honed in the rugged wilderness of Nieflheim, where their ability to survive is tested constantly. 

In every action they have seen, they always move in quickly and quietly, penetrating the enemy defenses, killing their sentries with deadly efficiency, never allowing their mission to descend into pandemonium. Friendly forces always awake to the sound of silence after the Brigade has accomplished their mission, they come and go like vengeful specters. Their hotshot lasguns are fitted with signature suppressors, that reduces the sound of the weapon, to merely the static crack of superheated air. 

They were well known in the realm of Ultramar, before and during the Great Crusade. Even after the Horus Heresy, they were actively involved with the destruction of numerous Chaos strongholds. They were ever in the shadows, moving in to destroy a corrupted monastery, or break an entrenched siege. After their renewed contact with the Imperium, their skills are in ever increasing demand.

They have jumped into hostile territories out numbered and out gunned, assaulted mountain fortresses, broken entrenched sieges, assassinated rogue governors and exterminated heretic cults. They have done all of this quietly and efficiently. Rare is the occasion that the enemy is able to raise an alarm. 
The Black Devils view camaraderie in high regard. They are known to be boisterous, when not in battle, and often times they can be seen enjoying food, drink, and competition in their down time. It is not uncommon to see informal unit gatherings, officers, commissioned and non commissioned alike, socializing with their troops. This behavior is, in fact, encouraged, and their ability to separate work from play is one thing that makes them so efficient. 

The Mechanicum's presence within the Brigade is negligible, as only the most open-minded Techpriests can abide the near constant stream of field expedient modifications the soldiers make to their gear. For instance, the signature suppressors are one of the many field expedient modifications that have been made.

The presence of the commissariat is equally small. Many commissars have ended up dead after trying to execute men for falling back. Only Commissars that have demonstrated flexibility, and a grasp of small unit tactics live long enough to truly become part of the Brigade. 

The brigade favors hit and run raids, ambushes, and fast assaults. If they cannot hit a position or their position is disadvantageous, they will fall back to a position that is better, or they will fall back to come at the problem from a different direction. Observation and patience is a hallmark of the Black devil's. It may take days for them to hit a position, but when they do, it is always fast, and vicious. 

The 2nd Special Service Force is among the finest the Imperium of Man can offer.

Organization:

1st Regimental Combat Team:

1st Battallion 75th Light Rifle Regiment (Rangers)
A Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry
A Company, 2nd Brigade Engineers Battalion (Sappers)
1st Battalion, 160th Combat Aviation Regiment

2nd Regimental Combat Team:

2nd Battallion 75th Light Rifle Regiment (Rangers)
B Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry
B Company, 2nd Brigade Engineers Battalion (Sappers)
2nd Battalion, 160th Combat Aviation Regiment

3rd Regimental Combat Team:

3rd  Battallion 75th Light Rifle Regiment (Rangers)
C Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry
C Company, 2nd Brigade Engineers Battalion (Sappers)
3rd Battalion, 160th Combat Aviation Regiment

Notable Engagements:

The Scourging of Gudrun-
The brigade participated in the elimination of the Chaos taint present in the Scarus Subsector. Only the 1st Regimental Combat Team was deployed to the Scarus subsector, consisting of: 1st Battalion, 75th light Rifles; A Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry; A Company 2nd Brigade Engineers Battallion; and 1st Battalion 160th Combat Aviation Regiment. They operated in small airmobile teams moving over the planet. They worked with local forces to locate the Cultists and quietly eliminated them. They were 

The Raid on Tau'n
During the Taros Campaign a small force from 2nd RCT  launched a raid against Tau supply lines in order to take the pressure off of Imperial forces on Taros. The raid was successful and the force was able to recover tau technologies for study by the Inquisition. 

Raid on Klybo
3rd RCT was dispatched to the dead world Klybo to provide assistance to a Mechanium Survey Mission to recover lost technologies. Only a few of the survey mission and a handful of men from the security force survived the encounter, and required a hot extraction from the world. They were faced with a relentless swarm of machines, which were later identified as canoptek wraiths, scarabs and spyders. The 3rd RCT is the most highly deployed unit and has thus sustained the heaviest losses. 

The Necron Incursions
Several Necron Dynasties have tried to establish tomb worlds in the Subsector Nieflheim occupies, and  were it not for warning provided by the Eldar, the fight would have been much harder than it was. These incursions mark some of the few times the entire brigade has been deployed as a whole. The Eldar provided much needed assistance during these incursions, and have proven to be a valuable asset when dealing with the Necrons.

Tau Skirmishes
There have been several border skirmishes with the Farsight Enclaves, with nothing truly decided. However the Tau have been willing to work with Imperial forces in the past, and the Brigade is ever watchful for useful assets. 

Tyranid Incursions
With the Arrival of Tyranid Hive Fleets the Brigade has been mobilized on several occasions, all proving to be very hard won victories, in some cases the tyranid horde was only stopped at the cost of entire battalions. These have proven to be the costliest actions in which the brigade has taken part. 

Chaos Infiltrations
There have been a few Chaos cults that have sprung up on Nieflheim, and most have been quickly eliminated, however one led to the arrival of a warband that ended in the slaughter of House Volsung, the Knight House that Stood Guard over Nieflheim for millenia. This Attack was quickly put down byt the Brigade's 1st RCT.

Scuffles with the Inquisition:
The Brigade's stance on working with Xenos when it is advantageous to humanity, has brought them into conflict with the Ordo Xenos. Chaos incursions on their world have drawn the attention of the Ordo Malleus, but the Brigade's impeccable history of devotion to the Imperium, and the citizen's swift response to the chaos incursions have dissuaded the Inquisition from going any further than keeping a watchful eye.

Freeblades: Remnants of House Volsung

There exist on Nieflhiem the remnants of a once noble Knight house. The Freeblade "Revenant", formerly Sir Hamish MacDonald, of the native House Volsung, a small house residing in the northern highlands of Nieflheim, is but one of the few remaining. The knights have stood guard on this world since before the Age of strife. Recently however a Chaos warband raided a nearby world and the forces of Nieflheim were called upon to eliminate them. The house was slaughtered to all but a few. They all bear the scarlet and gold livery of the Volsung, but they have adopted the camouflage schemes of the 2nd Special Service Force and the 172nd Armored Division. 

Here are my current experimental rules:

Army Rules:

Hidden Content
Combat Drop: Half of the models with this rule that start the game in reserve, rounded up, may enter from reserve on the first turn.  

Hasty Fortifications: All infantry models that start the game deployed on the table gain +1 to their cover save if they have not moved. When the unit moves, they will count as moving through difficult terrain for the duration of the turn. 

We're supposed to be surrounded!: Any units that enter play from reserves by Deep Strike gain the fearless special rule until the end of the turn.

CQC Proficiency: All infantry units have the rending special rule for all close combat attacks.

In addition to normal orders each sergeant has an additional order they can only issue to their squad.

Come on you Apes!: The unit gains the relentless special rule until the end of the turn. Only usable by stormtrooper squads.

HQ:
Hidden Content
Company Command Squad:
Deep Strike, Combat Drop, Senior officer, Voice of command
Unit composition: 1 Company Commander, 4 Stormtroopers

Commander: Infantry(Character) WS4 BS4 S3 T3 W2 I3 A2 Ld9 Sv4+
Stormtrooper: Infantry WS3 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld7 Sv4+

Wargear:
Carapace Armor
Hotshot Lasgun (stormtroopers)
Hotshot Laspistol (Commander)
Close Combat Weapon(Commander)
Command Squad may take:
Master of Ordinance
Officer of the Fleet
May take a Chimera, Taurox Prime, or Valkyrie as a dedicated transport
Stormtroopers may exchange their hotshot las guns for special weapons

Lord Commissar
Deep Strike, Combat Drop
WS5 BS5 S3 T3 W3 I3 A3 Ld10 Sv4+
Wargear:
Carapace Armor
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon
May take items from the Melee Weapons list
May exchange Bolt pistol for Plasma Pistol for

Commissar:
Deep Strike, Combat Drop
WS4 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I3 A2 Ld9 Sv5+
Wargear:
Flak Armor
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon
May take items from the Melee Weapons list
May exchange Bolt pistol for Plasma Pistol
Does not occupy a force org slot, and may be taken as part of any command squad or platoon squad.

TROOPS:
Hidden Content
Stormtrooper squad:
Deep Strike, Move Through Cover, Combat Drop
Unit Composition: 1 Sergeant, 4 Stormtroopers
Stormtrooper: Infantry WS3 BS4 S3 T3 I3 W1 A1 Ld7 Sv 4+
Sergeant: Infantry(Character) WS3 BS4 S3 T3 I3 W1 A2 Ld8 Sv 4+

Wargear:
Carapace Armor
Hotshot Lasgun
Hotshot Laspistol
Close Combat Weapon
Frag Greandes
Krak Grenades

Squad may add up to 5 more models
Sergeant may exchange his Hotshot Lasgun any item from the melee weapons list
Sergeant may exchange his Hotshot laspistol for the following:
Bolt Pistol
Plasma Pistol
up to 2 stormtroopers may exchange Hotshot lasgun for special weapon

ELITES:

Hidden Content
Sapper Team: 85 points
Move through Cover
Unit Composition: 1 Sergeant, 4 Sappers
Sapper: Infantry WS3 BS4 S3 T3 I3 W1 A1 Ld7 Sv 4+

Wargear:
Carapace Armor
Hotshot Lasgun
Hotshot Laspistol
Combat Knife (CCW)
Melta Bombs
Frag and Krak Grenades

May include up to 5 more sappers for 14 points per model
Up to 3 sappers may exchange their Hotshot Lasgun for a Special Weapon
1 sapper may exchange his Hot Shot Lasgun for a heavy flamer
Sergeant may exchange his Hot Shot Lasgun for any item from the melee weapons list
Sergeant may exchange his Hot Shot laspistol for the following:
Bolt Pistol free
Plasma Pistol

Sniper Squad: 70 points
Infiltrate, Scout, Move through Cover
Unit Composition: 2 Sniper teams
Commando: Infantry WS3 BS4 S3 T3 I3 W1 A1 Ld7 Sv 4+

Wargear:
Camo Gear
Carapace Armor
Hotshot Sniper
Hotshot Laspistol
Combat Knife (CCW)
Frag Grenades
Krak Grenades

Sniper Tactics: Sniper teams operate out ahead of the main force and do so autonomously, as such snipers cannot take orders, and must deploy by infiltrate.
Hotshot Sniper Rifle: The Hotshot Sniper is a weapon with the following profile:
Range 30" SX AP3 Heavy 1, Anti-material rounds, Sniper
Anti-Material Rounds: Range increased to 36". When firing at vehicles, the weapon is S6, if firing at infantry, it ignores cover. However, each team may only fire one per turn, and the other team member may not fire his sniper rifle.

FAST ATTACK:

Hidden Content
Imperial Navy Valkyrie Squadron:
Combat Drop
BS3 F12 S12 R10 HP3 Flyer, Hover transport
May take Heavy bolter sponsons
May exchange Hellstrike missiles for Multiple rocket pods
May exchange multilaser for lascannon
may take up to 2 more valkyries

Imperial Navy Vendetta Squadron:
BS3 F12 S12 R10 HP3 Flyer, Hover, Transport
May take Heavy Bolter sponsons
may take up to 2 more Vendettas

Taurox Prime:
BS4 F11 S10 R10 HP3 Vehicle (fast, transport)
May exchange Taurox battle cannon for:
Taurox Gatling Cannon
Taurox Missile Launcher
May exchange Twin linked Hotshot Volley Guns for:
Autocannons
May take items from the vehicle upgrade list

Scout Sentinel Squadron:
Move through Cover,Scout
WS3 BS3 S5 F10 S10 R10 HP2
May exchange Multilaser for:
Autocannon
Heavy Flamer
Lascannon
Missile Launcher
May include up to 2 more sentinels
May take items from the Vehicle upgrade list

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Hidden Content
Armored Sentinel Squadron:

WS3 BS3 S5 F12 S10 R10 HP2
May exchange Multilaser for:
Autocannon
Heavy Flamer
Lascannon
Missile Launcher
Plasma Cannon

May include up to 2 more sentinels
May take items from the Vehicle upgrade list

heavy weapons platoon:

may take up to 6 heavy weapons squads. A command squad must be taken if more than one squad is present.

Heavy Weapons Squad:
Deep Strike, Combat Drop
Unit composition: 3 Heavy Weapons Teams
Weapons Teams: Infantry WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W2 A1 I3 Ld7 Sv4+
May take:
Autocannon Team
Flakk Missile Launcher Team
Heavy Bolter Team
Lascannon Team
Missile Launcher Team
Mortar Team
May take a Taurox Prime, chimera, or Valkyrie as a dedicated transport.

Chimera:
BS3 F12 S10 R10 HP3

Unit Type:
Vehicle (Tank, Transport)

Unit Composition: 1 Chimera

Wargear:

Multi-laser
Heavy bolter
Searchlight
Smoke launchers

Special Rules:
Amphibious
Lasgun Arrays
Mobile Command Vehicle

Transport Capacity:
Twelve models

Options:

May take items from the Astra Militarum Vehicle Equipment list.
May replace heavy bolter with a heavy flamer
May replace multi-laser with
either a heavy flamer or a heavy
bolter or
autocannon

Peruse these rules and tell me what you think.

From a player who's only seen the guard codex the following seems off ...

CQC - why do they have rend? They are still only human. Having them bs or ws 4 would show high proficiency in combat or shooting. Would it not be better to have a ws 4, bs 3 troops option where the have ccw and hotshot pistol instead be a better option?

"Come on you apes" why are serg allowed to give orders. Makes the command squads redundant. The reason for command squads only bein able to give orders is to limit how many orders can be given in a turn. This is being switched off with this.

Commissar - Why the extra wound?

Only other thing that might be worth tweaking is the HWS's. Why not make it more like a mini version of the Apoc formation. PCS and 3+ HWT's? You get an extra command squad to give orders without needing to give the serg orders in the troops squads!

Can't really comment on the walkers as I've never used them.

Hope the feedback helps. ;)

The reason I gave them rending instead of boosting the WS, was to show better potential for getting around armor saves. Rather than increasing the stat because close combat still isn't the pace they should be, and WS3 is still hitting on 4's against most things, besides a stat upgrade would drive the points cost way up. 

The order, I don't believe it does make the command squad redundant. besides it's a very situational order, they still move and shoot as normal, but if you're close enough to charge it makes a difference, because then you get to rapid fire and then charge. The intent was that the stormtrooper squads would be the only ones that could use it, I'll change it so that it reflects that.

As for the Commissar, I took the statlines for the regular commissar and lord commissar right out of the C:AM, so unless it's a typo they should be regular old commissars but with deep strike and combat drop. 

I like what you said about the HWS, so maybe what I'll do is make it able to be a platoon, so it only occupies one heavy slot. 

As per the homegrown rules forum points costs are omitted (except where I created things).

rules post edited to reflect changes.

Looks like the commissar in the Scions codex has more wounds than the Guard one unless I'm remembering stats wrong? Will check later. :D

I don't quite know how I'm going to use this heavy weapons squad yet, but I was thinking of putting one in my command squad, and one in 2 of my vet squads. I think I'm probably going to add the armored fist squad to my regular IG detachment and make it a CAD. I'll have one autocannon vet squad, one melta squad in a chimera, CCS w/autocannon in a Chimera, and one HW in my Elysians. Should I use the HB for the Elysians or the mortar. The Mortar gives them area denial ability from anywhere on the board, but the HB improves their anti infantry and has some light vehicle killing ability.  

So, I went with your suggestion, I have 2 Autocannons, and a heavy bolter, as well as 3 mortars. Now, I can sub in mortars if I so choose. Or I could use them in a platoon in another army, or with my experimental rules.

So I primed my latest additions, and I added some greenstuff sandbags for my heavy weapons teams (just the ones I will use most, I'm nearly out of GS, so I needed to order more. 

I also placed an order for 14 more Kasrkin, to bring me up to 2 full squads with some leftovers. That will round out my 2nd Special Service Force, for now, as I still have another Valkyrie and another Vendetta to acquire and possible a second knight. 

So aside from the odds and ends that my force needs they're pretty much done. Before long I'll be able to start on my 172nd Armored Division.

Definitely getting all this together faster than I did! I think my latest IG army was a 7 month project, and you've already finished more than I have. Eager to see some more WIP! happy.png

I'll be doing some work on them a bit later tonight, I haven't decided how I'm going to do the chimeras yet, I'm thinking of a tan and grey camo scheme with green showing through, and some dirt/mud effects on the treads. The infantry will be in the same manner as before.

Look what arrived in the mail today!

WP 20150608 001

10 of the Kasrkin I ordered, and my 2 GK termie Inquisitors. I'm still waiting for 4 of the Kasrkin. I also got my tube of greenstuff, which should be more than enough for sandbags on my mortar squads, and for basing my ADL, when I finally get around to it. I need to make a trip to walmart and get some simple green because these need a stripping bath. I might just leave the Painted GK termie alone, since I'm probably going to do the other one similarly. 

Archived