Martox thread of wip'ness

Martox

Good evening, B&C'ers

With the release of Daemonkin, I thought it was time to revisit the first power armoured army I painted, many years ago - A Khorne Warband. This meant going back, finding the models I had and thinking 'oh hell, these are damaged/poorly painted - best strip em and repair em.' As such, there's a unit of converted Berserkers in a tub of Dettol at the moment steeping to paint removal. For now, it lets me build stuff and put in some one off kitbashes.

So. The Eightscarred. Followers of a Bloodthirster of the 3rd level, so a Bloodthirster of Giant Axe swinging Death:

Still need to tidy up the edge on that base, since it's covered in fingerprints. Probably need to add a few more sandbags and some sort of mesh for the base to make it look more like a trench system further.

Now this guy is due to AD-B's book The Talon of Horus. Whilst not quite Ukris, I love the idea of a Khorne devotee with a heavy bolter blazing death as he marches towards the enemy. In terms of tabletop gameplay, probably not going to do so well. In terms of hobby and fluff fun, why not? The mouth needs some more work and general tidying up.

Alt view of the heavy bolter barrel front

And finally the work in progress of the Eightscarred's symbol pad. Been trying to get it to look symmetrical for a few days, so I've made a mould of the pad so far to try and cut down the remaining arrow points and apply them to the opposite sides, then recast the entire pad for duplication across the units that warrant it. Very, very WIP so far.

Well, it's been an interesting week. Plenty of airbrushing on a unit, figuring out how to paint said unit, deciding I dislike this or that and going back. Settled on how to paint them and finally go them finished tonight. Biggest one is to leave the heads off when painting like this, it makes it a bunch easier to paint the bodies.

At any rate, first unit of Bloodletters:

And now, for the second unit and whilst I'm at it, figuring out how in the world I'm going to do a unit of Bloodcrushers.

C&C welcomed!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Building stuff continues, 3 Bloodcrushers built, however, I've been building something else in the meantime...

Opinions on proportion sought, as it stands I think it's close, however with the terminator true scale torso I'm not too sure. I'll upload some other angles later.

Pushing on with the prototype Wrathmonger-Berserker Champion. The head is a sticking point for me at the moment as it seems a bit small, which is a MASSIVE shame as these Wrathmonger heads are excellent. It's also going to be really tall for a power armoured model, Bloodletter for scale.
Things still to do: add the ribbing instead of the chanmail to the legs, drill one/both the arms sides of the torso so I can add one of/both of the bare arms from the Wrathmonger kits.

I'd love some feedback on the head, since it's just tacked in there at the moment.

This is a very cool idea -- I've just been messing around with the same set of legs and a leftover, damaged Chaos Terminator torso due to your idea, and I think I might end up with a very cool true scale-ish World Eater! Thanks for the inspiration! smile.png

One additional idea: It seems to me that, by slightly shaving down the breastplate, you could even fit the original Skullreaper breastplate (and hip plates) over the Terminator chest piece -- that's the route I'll be going with my own model, I think.

Cheers KS, glad to know our ideas are bouncing off each other for mutual inspiration :D

At any rate, I intend to use a bit of instant mold to cast up the details from the front plates of the Wrathmongers and then (hopefully) curve it to match the terminator torso. It should work if I can get the details to match correctly. Should.
I'm looking forward to getting back from work to get some more work done on this tonight, specifically seeing if I can get the bare arm/arms to fit with the idea I've had (see - Ferrus/Khârn for what I mean).

I just hope I've got some suitable shoulder pads. Maybe from the old Marauders..

Check back later for more progress!

Your idea with the shaved down chest piece came to mind as I was figuring out if I needed to drill into the torso for the arm (I don't IMHO, photo later) and I put the chest plate up to the torso as it is now.
Would save a whole lot of hassle to cut down the torso and it would look good.... photos in a bit.ph34r.png

Here's tonight's progress - added the bare arms and the Axe of Khorne, filled in a few gaps and added some testers for shoulder pads. Not full marine pads, these are taken from the Marauder kit. Changed my mind on the torso, just greenstuff molding it.
The greenstuff on the left arm will be part of a gauntlet - the power armoured hand is one of the ones holding a chainsword. The torso cover is currently curing before I add it to the front. I'll also be adding the side plates from the torso cover of the Wrathmonger kit to cover some gaps and givei t that heavier armoured look.

Do still need to fill in the back of the legs for power armour, so ribbing and a bit heavier plating.

Still undecided on the head, a power armoured one would work better for scale - but the Wrathmonger one is too good! Might have to kitbash em together.

• 4 weeks later...

I return, after a hiatus. I went back and worked a project I started last year when they were originally released:

I present the Sword of the Dawn, my first Freeblade Knight to be attached to my guard/Iron Hands. Base is pending.
The second Knight is currently being built and I'm currently mulling over the heraldry/colour scheme/whether I want to weather the second as much as the first.
C&C welcome, as ever.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I'm back!

One month (and a bit :S) later and the Age of Sigmar brings me some fun models to convert with the method Kraut and myself messed about with a while ago. Some minor changes include sculpting the ribbed undersuit rather than chainmail, as well as some extra bulk to the armour to make it look more like powered armour.

So, first of the test batch is the Khorne Lord from the AoS box, as he stands ATM:

C&C welcome

Well, after the server downtime [Praise Brother Argus for repairs!] I had some time to work on the Lord; here's how he stands at the moment:

Notable change is the arm, the scorpion claw just didn't make sense for the large axe. He wouldn't be able to wield it properly IMHO. The hand holding the chains has been switched for a plasma pistol, because necessary.

He still needs a belt buckle and a backpack - the backpack is causing some issue as I'm trying to think of how to make one look ornate enough to match the style of the armour.

The Fleshhound has been built but unconverted, bar removal of the chains.

Been working on the AoS standard bearer for the past couple of days - removing the furs and clothing in favour of power armour styled detailing to the back. Next comes the difficult part, the torso. I'm wanting to keep the skulls that are normally on the front of the model, so sculpting in a chest plate might prove a bit interesting.

Not too happy with parts of him, particularly the inside of the right knee at the moment and the general smoothness of some of the plates.

C&C welcome as always.

Cheers!

Archived