PowerFisted: Traitor Sagyar Mazan, The Blazing Suns + other (5.1 general annoucement)

• 5 months later...

Like many, COVID threw a wrench into my hobby after the start of the year. It's taken a while to get my hobby mojo back. I broke my rut by going back to my ZM tiles. I painted up two test tiles to compare with my original recipe:

Here are my OG tiles from last year. There's things I like about them, but I think I'm a better painter these days:

pdZ0MH4.jpg

3iJbE76.jpg

Here was my first go at an update. More grungy, more depth, less yellow:

dVXrd3S.jpg

mtsA9ZT.jpg

W78DHPR.jpg

Third is something completely different. Grungy and striking:

Kd8DywI.jpg

fpd67kP.jpg

GPYG3yG.jpg

So which one do you guys like?

Classic:

cQP0HRh.jpg

Updated:

X4jDKur.jpg

Red:

QYstzEV.jpg

Thanks guys. I really like the floor on the updated blue tile, but to compliment my dark mech I'm leaning towards the red scheme. One thing I'll do different is to do minor metal highlights along the floor sections. I experimented with that in this photo if you look at the upper right:

GPYG3yG.jpg

Don't want to go to crazy, but it should add a bit of interest to the red floor imo.

Edited by Brofist

The metal highlights are an excellent effect I think. I like them a lot. If it isn't too much trouble to continue it, then I think it would be excellent to do for the whole piece, at least with proximity to any lighting in the terrain.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a long time getting that technique right. My friend @painthammer originally discovered it and my other friend @loyalistsareboring made it backwards compatible from painthammer's British brain into my slavic one :smile.:

Here are some of the tests I did to get it right:

cdxKU0X.jpg

p2zbyJ1.jpg

1XQK5q0.jpg

How it works:

You start with a chipping medium, heavily applied, onto a surface. Once fully dry you soak the surface with a watered down base color (airbrush thinner or water, each creates a different effect). The medium breaks up the paint as it dries, creating natural cracks and flakes. You can then weather it or seal it with varnish and continue. An airbrush is required for this technique, and there are other variables that change the final result: your choice of chipping medium, thinning ratio, PSI, and airbrush nozzle size. From my experience A&K heavy chipping fluid and Vallejo chipping medium performed the best. PSI needs to be very high, ~40, and the nozzle needs to be fine or extra fine. Do NOT thin the chipping fluid.

Edited by Brofist

Had the debut of my red ZM tiles last weekend. The gang played a 3 vs 4 scenario where 5 fought on a mega ZM map while 2 played on a standard 6x4. Tables were connected through access points and units could move from place to place. This ended up being a key factor. The both games ended up lopsided and the remaining forces had to pour through the access point to fight each other in order to secure a last min victory.

LeBbuA7.jpg

KngBNWr.jpg

EnEEwBC.jpg

YGPLjwy.jpg

CYwAaR1.jpg

6Z0p8bF.jpg

mvdeF8P.jpg

v0CXjEk.jpg

lrgOvya.jpg

utyXEwX.jpg

nekSulk.jpg

u77QVpb.jpg

Kz3AdCD.jpg

VwytVWX.jpg

LKzrJBH.jpg

• 1 month later...

Didn't have time to post them before, but here are the pigment steps. In short, I first spray down some varnish, then immediately apply pigment heavily with a sponge. I build up interesting tones by using different colors.

fZAZbTk.jpg

MH7QaNo.jpg

WDUHBgz.jpg

A66KKms.jpg

The final effects are pretty striking, but sadly they mostly disappear after you varnish over the top one final time. Since this is gaming terrain, no way to escape that final thick coat of varnish, which is why I go heavy to begin with.