EX IL - Stygian Jackals

"My sons, show them the error of their ways. Bring them the Emperor's justice. They will not escape our righteous wrath "

++Attributed to Lorgar Aurelian during the purge of Alaxiss IV, the first major action against the renegade XIth legion++

===================================================================================

Willym Jackel looked to the sky. Stars were falling from the sky, Bright in the night. He did not know what they were. He only knew they were launched from the ships that had translated into the system one week ago. Anticipating an invasion, he had mobilised the planets entire military force and placed it on high alert. It has begun, he thought, The end of our times is upon us.

Jackel withdrew all his forces back into the city. He stood defiant, his massive war plate gleaming gold in the light of the flickering torches placed on the ramparts of the walls. He watched as massive beings marched upon the walls, banners held high. Two even larger figures walked at the forefront. One wore blue-grey armour, the same as those behind him. The other wore gleaming golden war plate, glowing even in the night. He was perfect in every way, the ultimate vision of mankind. Jackel heard anguished cries as hundreds of his warriors were blinded just from looking at him. That man is interesting, he thought to himself.

The pair of giants reached the walls of the city. The one in the grey armour beckoned to the occupants, "Where is your leader? Show him to us!" Jackel obliged, coming out of the main doors of the city. 

It was there his life changed forever. It was there he began down the path of damantion.

===================================================================================

Hello all.

Inspired by simison, Raktra and Athrawes lost legion projects, here are the humble beginnings of my 11th legion. Seeing as funds are tight at the moment, and I have my HH Ultras to do, I would like to flesh out fluff and rules before I eventually get around to modelling and collecting the legion. 

C+C welcome

Edited by Lord Thørn

Huzzah, welcome to the lost legions! I'm tickled that you started with a quote, an original one too. It looks like the XIth legion is starting to catch up to the IInd in popularity.

As for a legion name, the easiest way to answer that is to know what your legion culture is. From your first idea, would I be correct in guessing that your legion likes their opportunistic strikes?

Huzzah, welcome to the lost legions! I'm tickled that you started with a quote, an original one too. It looks like the XIth legion is starting to catch up to the IInd in popularity.

As for a legion name, the easiest way to answer that is to know what your legion culture is. From your first idea, would I be correct in guessing that your legion likes their opportunistic strikes?

Thanks! And yes, they do like their opportunistic strikes and working in smaller packs to bring down large targets.

"We are the opportunistic hunters, right now you have presented us an opportunity."

-Willym Jackel, during the assault upon Berentius prime

===========================================================================================================

Why are we here? thought first master Uten Tuskan as he punched the training dummy one last time. Why are we in this system, why are we landing on this world? What could be so important here? He was holding out hope that it was a primarch, and hoping deeper down that it was his. How fortunate would it be to finally find his gene sire. How good for morale within the legion. He hoped beyond hope, or so he thought.

===========================================================================================================

"See? You are my son, you are a primarch, you are one of the mightiest beings in the galaxy." The man, or Emperor as he had now revealed, leaned in conspirationally and smiled "Why do you doubt me? Are you not different from regular mortals? You are taller, stronger and smarter than even the best of the humans, and you are still more than exceptional within the ranks of my space marines." The Emperor leaned back. "Join me in my crusade to reunite the galaxy, to save the human race! Take command of your legion, mould them to your will, and bring my light to the deepest depths of the galaxy." Jackel replied, "Father, if what you say is true, I will follow you. Give me my Legion, and we will fight for you."

Welcome to the ranks of the slightly-less-popular Elevenths Legions. Apart from Raktra we tend to be more overshadowed by the Second, possibly due to Athrawes and Simison's two glorious takes on the Second. (And my inability to be happy enough with my own writing to dare update my log.)

a

Welcome to the ranks of the slightly-less-popular Elevenths Legions. Apart from Raktra we tend to be more overshadowed by the Second, possibly due to Athrawes and Simison's two glorious takes on the Second. (And my inability to be happy enough with my own writing to dare update my log.)

Thanks brother

++Taken from the writings of Veral Khalin++

The XI legion favours a direct frontal assault, utilising heavy armour to crack holes in the enemy's attack or defence before mechanised infantry squads flood into the breach. Land raiders are particularly common in their assaults, as are rhinos for their infantry and spartans for their elite units. 

Under the guidance of First Master Tuskan the XIth gained renown as a formidable fighting body that excels in pitched battles. This tactic had begun to see widespread use throughout the legions, further adding to the respect that the legion is given.

And now, let me present first master Uten Tuskan, terran born first master before the coming of the primarch.

WS BS   S   T  W  I   A   LD  SV

6     5     4    4  3   5  3   10   2+

Wargear:

• Artificer armour
  • iron halo
  • boltgun
  • frag and krak grenades
  • Leventh Lamina

Leventh Lamina

A massive chainblade crafted by his own hands, the Leventh Lamina is capable of tearing through the almost any armour with its diamond hard teeth

Range   S        Ap    Type

n\a      +2     2       melee, master crafted, Murderous strike, two handed

Special rules:

• LA (Stygian Jackals)

I'm kinda stumped for special rules atm. If anyone would be so kind to help then I would like to focus it around sticking in the deployment zone and then advancing up the field.

C+C welcome

Edited by Praefectus Invictus

D3 units have redeploy or scout. Units inside transports count the unit separately (2 for a transport and unit)

Or

D3+3 units may move up to 3 inches after deployment.

Also I would make the weapon +2 str instead of shred, to better match a 2handed chain sword

D3 units have redeploy or scout. Units inside transports count the unit separately (2 for a transport and unit)

Or

D3+3 units may move up to 3 inches after deployment.

Also I would make the weapon +2 str instead of shred, to better match a 2handed chain sword

I like the first one. Maybe D3 units can redeploy within 18" of their original deployment zone,

Alright, finished rules for Tuskan

Uten Tuskan: 175 points

WS6 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I5 A4 LD10 Sv2+

unit compostiion

1 Uten Tuskan

unit type

infantry 

Wargear

• Artificer armour
  • boltgun
  • bolt pistol
  • iron halo
  • frag and krak grenades
  • Leventh Lamina

Leventh Lamina

Range n/a   S+2 AP2 Type: melee, master crafted, two handed

Special rules

• LA (SJ)
  • Forward!: D3 units have scout. Dedicated transports and any occupants each count as one unit.

Warlord Trait: Armour to the fore!: All tanks in an army containing Uten Tuskan get the extra armour upgrade for free. Additionally, any tank that has the option to take a dozer blade may take it for 1 point.

C+C welcome

Edited by Praefectus Invictus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any advance on this ? Your concept is pretty good, but is clearly not finished as is.

If you haven't had any yet, but would like to in the future, here's my first concepts for the XIth Legion, which you may mesh relatively well (with a bit of work) to what you already have : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/262908-diy-chapter-concepts-thread/?p=4099563. And I'm willing to give you this for FREE ! http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/msn-wink.gif

Oh, I've precised in my concept that they distrust heavy armour, because I think that quite a few Legions and Fan made legions have a focus on tanks, and rarely on foot sloggers and bikers... But that doesn't stop you placing greater importance on tanks before they find their primarch.... Well, really, you're free to do whatever you want, so good luck http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png

Edited by Lord Thørn

Any advance on this ? Your concept is pretty good, but is clearly not finished as is.

If you haven't had any yet, but would like to in the future, here's my first concepts for the XIth Legion, which you may mesh relatively well (with a bit of work) to what you already have : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/262908-diy-chapter-concepts-thread/?p=4099563. And I'm willing to give you this for FREE ! http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/msn-wink.gif

Oh, I've precised in my concept that they distrust heavy armour, because I think that quite a few Legions and Fan made legions have a focus on tanks, and rarely on foot sloggers and bikers... But that doesn't stop you placing greater importance on tanks before they find their primarch.... Well, really, you're free to do whatever you want, so good luck http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png

Thanks for all this. I've been out of the hobby for a bit with exams and other RL stuff but I probably should continue with the concept and ideas.

Okay, so thanks to Lord Thorn, and a few other inspiring moments I've had in the past couple of days, I am once again inspired to continue this.

======================================================================================================

The sky was black with ash. Bright red flame illuminated the sky as the world burned. "Forward!" screamed Tuskan as the onyx land raiders of the God Hammer battle squadron crashed through the outer walls of the city and the space marines disembarked. Drop pods rained down from the sky, pitch black and unseen as they destroyed aeons old art engraved onto the streets and walls of the city. 

Tuskan moved forward, his trusted armatus cadre with him every step. Other brothers moved with him, bolters flashing as they sighted and killed the figures moving in the smoke. 

Suddenly, a ferocious storm of fire and shrapnel pounded the advancing astartes. Several fell as the crude bullets found weak spots around the head and abdomen, and the advance slowed. "Support, we need support!" Tuskan screamed into the vox as another brother was felled next to him, clutching at his throat as he choked on his own blood. This continued on for precious minutes, as the humans encircled the shrinking number of astartes. An explosion knocked Tuskan off his feet in an array of light and confusion.

When he looked up, all he saw was a leering face and the barrel of his gun. "The Emperor protects" he whispered, as the barrel drew closer to his eye. A flash of movement averted his eye, and then he looked up to see the human staring blankly at the hole in his chest where his heart should be. The flash proceeded to disarm or destroy every other human standing in the immediate vicinity. Tuskan would have been amazed, but he had acted with the Emperors sons before, and he was only sarcastic when the primarch of the XIth legion stopped from the slaughter. "Took you long enough." he said wryly. "Other matters had my attention, first master." replied the primarch with a cheeky grin. 

The mirth lasted a matter of seconds, and then the two warriors returned to the battle within the lost city.

The lost city was a major battle for the XIth. It was the first conflict in which the primarch was present, and that the newly inducted legionnaires from Fugion to show their skills. These legionnaires served as the primarchs honour guard, striking wherever needed from personalised jetbikes. It was here that the new character for the XIth legion was cemented into stone.

The world of Altalga was home to a mad king. He had led his people into heresy long before the God Emperor sent forces into the system. He forced them to worship four gods, cruor, nimium, calumnia and morbus. The king had glyphs and sigils, and even strange inscriptions, carved upon the walls and streets of the city. At night, strange howling creatures stalked the barren streets, and any person brave enough to venture outside was never heard from again. Some say their screams still haunt the streets, even after the world was left a barren husk by the Stygian Jackals assault.

- excerpt from the writings of mikael the diviner.

• 1 month later...

Willym Jackel woke up in a cold sweat. The dark chamber around him smelt of mangy animals and dried blood. He looked around as his eyes adjusted. Bloodied and disembowelled corpses hung from savage meat hooks in all the corners of the cell. A looming iron door blocked all light, save for tiny slivers that seeped from the bottom and top. What fresh hell is this? he thought. 

He sat silent in the dark, counting the seconds, minutes, hours. He lost track on the fourth day.

A gut wrenching creak stole him from his sleep. A slightly built figure clad in strangely ornamented armour bearing a crested war helm and a longsword sizzling with blood stepped in, followed by two other similarly armoured warriors. "Who are you?" Jackel roared, his anger taking over. He lept to his feet, lunging at the figure, silver canines glinting. A shield of simmering energy stayed his wrath. He beat uselessly against it. "Do not speak to me, Mon-keigh, unless I give you permission." The figure hissed. It snapped its lithe fingers. Light filled the room, and Jackel was blinded for a split second as his eyes reacted to the sudden glare. When they cleared, he was surprised to see the longsword at his throat. "You hold no power here, Mon-keigh. We do not worship your Emperor, and we care not for his sons. At least, none but one." He chuckled at this, staring hard into Jackels eyes. Jackel saw the hate there, burning unbridled. He knew this creature would like nothing more than to end him then and there, but something was holding him back.  

That something stepped in.

A figure of the same build, but in an entirely different style of armour and swathed in long robes. "I am Barranyl, of the Eldar." it said, standing before the Primarch. "What I am about to show you, will no doubt shock you, but it is the future that will come to pass if you do not act." The Eldar reached out with his hands, and Jackel felt psychic tendrils reaching out for his mind. Too tired to resist, he let them come.

He was shown many things. The Eldar showed him Terra, of what it would become, a shrine dedicated to the immortal God Emperor, who lapped up the attention like a dog drinking water in a hot day. The room where the plinths of the 20 Primarchs had stood, empty and unused, forgotten in the rush to worship the God Emperor, who had finally given in to the stigma surrounding him and admitted that he was, in fact, a God. And not once did Jackel see any sign of an Astartes warrior.

"So you see, one day you will be cast away, forgotten. The Emperor shall cast you away, he shall strike pacts with dark Gods to ensure you never rise to usurp him, or disrupt his plans. You, your brothers and your warriors are simply a means to an end. Decide, Mon-keigh, for the fate of your kin depends on your decisions now."

The Eldar drew away. "Begone" it said, lifting its hands. Suddenly Jackel's world turned to a harsh white light, and he materialised on the bridge of his flagship, much to the surprise of the senior deck crew. "My lord," said commander Fahell, unfazed "We have been searching for you. It seems we needn't have looked so far."

Been a while since I updated this. I have been thinking about it though, and I've decided to take the theme in a different direction. I want to make it more Aboriginal themed. It's something that hasn't been done before (at least not that I'm aware of?).

A piece of war gear I thought up

Jackal Dydery.....15 points (replaces Legion Vexilla option)

The Dydery gives all models in the unit +1 leadership (to a maximum of 10) and all Legiones Astartes (SJ) units within 6" re-roll failed morale checks.

C&C welcome