IT: The Bone Walkers

Dragonlover

Origins

The Bone Walkers are descended from the World Eaters Legion.

Chaos Lord

Once he was Captain Serjius Arrash of the World Eaters. Now, he is Lord Serjius of the Bone Walkers. He is attempting to harvest a skull from every Successor chapter in existence, in order to prove that the remaining Legions should never have been broken up. He is self aware enough to know that he can never make his point to someone that could change it, but it is his personal mission nontheless. Recently, his thoughts have turned to those Chapters that were destroyed before he could take his due, and is searching for ways to harness the temporal shifts the warp provides.

Fiefdom

The Bone Walkers are a small warband, and control no territory. Instead, they plunder across the galaxy from the Slaughter class cruiser Brazen Hunter.

Combat Doctrine

To offset their low numbers, the Bone Walkers hit hard and fast, then withdraw. To augment their numbers and firepower, they use a high quantity of Daemon Engines, notably a Brass Scorpion of Khorne.

The warband prefers to target Astartes forces, partially for trophy hunting reasons and partially because mortals are too easy to kill. Where possible, they will loot any datastacks and cogitators in the hope of finding the location of more Astartes forces.

Alliances and Feuds

The Bone Walkers are known to work with the Alpha Legion of Procel Vassago, who Serjius respects as cunning fighters even if he doesn't entirely trust them. They also have ties with various Daemonkin warbands, notably The Harvest.

The Bone Walkers are not currently at odds with any other Traitor warbands, but have long running contentions with Craftworld Ulthwé and the Shadow Knights, a Dark Angels successor Chapter.

Philosophy

"We need focus, lest the Nails take us"

The Bone Walkers believe that without some external focus, they will fall prey to the Nails and become nothing but frenzied butchers. To that end, upon induction into the warband, members will pick a personal mission. Reciting all the names of Khorne is a perennial favourite, as are various trophy collections, in imitation of their Lord.

Religion

The Bone Walkers worship Khorne in his aspect of the god of martial honour.

Geneseed

Originally, World Eater geneseed was the most common. Now, new recruits are implants with a mongrel geneseed that is still heavily World Eater based, but has had the general degradation patched with whatever was available.

Appearance

The armour of the Bone Walkers is the colour of bone with brass trim. Markings are highly individualised, usually picked out in red, for red, bone and brass are the colours of Khorne.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0243.jpg

----------------------------------

Been meaning to do this for a while, and finally found the time.

Dragonlover

The fluff is well done. I have some questions, however.

The Bone Walkers obviously have Apothecaries to implant the gene-seed. Where do the Apothecaries come from? Are they clones of Fabius Bile? Do the Bone Walkers have an "agreement" with the Alpha Legion in which Alpha Legion Apothecaries service the Bone Walkers, and in exchange, the Bone Walkers provide the Alpha Legion gene-seed harvested from their victims?

The fluff is well done. I have some questions, however.

The Bone Walkers obviously have Apothecaries to implant the gene-seed. Where do the Apothecaries come from? Are they clones of Fabius Bile? Do the Bone Walkers have an "agreement" with the Alpha Legion in which Alpha Legion Apothecaries service the Bone Walkers, and in exchange, the Bone Walkers provide the Alpha Legion gene-seed harvested from their victims?

I'd not really thought about it. I figure 99% of warbands use a mix of their own Apothecary equivalents, Fabius Bile (or other implanter-for-hire), and bartering for someone else's Apothecary equivalent to do the job.

Food for thought. I'll have a mull over that one tomorrow at work.

Dragonlover

• 3 weeks later...

The things I liked so far are first and foremost the goals for both your warband and the individual Astartes. I think that World Eaters sometimes seem to be lacking in character development, because they make such great mindless savages. However, you have created deeper, more meaningful villians merely by giving them a motivation beyond just pointless bloodshed. Okay, so collecting skulls from every chapter may only be slightly more focused than mindless savagery, but it's enough to give them nuance and depth of character. The personal missions of the Astartes that follow Lord Serjius, also give a quick and easy way to flesh out other members of the Warband when needed.

I liked the modus operandi of the Bone Walkers as well, hit an Astartes force, search for Intel for locations of more Astartes. It makes sense for a Khorne Warband and it provides both filler for what the Warband is typically doing, and the chance for plot hooks if they find some juicy information.

The things I would like to see more of are a little more detail on the Brazen Hunter for one. Mostly because I love the ships of 40K, but also because it plays a rather key role in your Warband. Maybe a few more characters too, aspiring champions or other HQ units.

Bone Walkers. Ohhh, I like that. Catchy.

Not much info yet, but definitely a catchy name. That's where I always start off. smile.png

This. You know why, Dragonlover.wink.png

Was it you that came up with it? If yes, then my thanks once again.

The things I liked so far are first and foremost the goals for both your warband and the individual Astartes. I think that World Eaters sometimes seem to be lacking in character development, because they make such great mindless savages. However, you have created deeper, more meaningful villians merely by giving them a motivation beyond just pointless bloodshed. Okay, so collecting skulls from every chapter may only be slightly more focused than mindless savagery, but it's enough to give them nuance and depth of character. The personal missions of the Astartes that follow Lord Serjius, also give a quick and easy way to flesh out other members of the Warband when needed.

I liked the modus operandi of the Bone Walkers as well, hit an Astartes force, search for Intel for locations of more Astartes. It makes sense for a Khorne Warband and it provides both filler for what the Warband is typically doing, and the chance for plot hooks if they find some juicy information.

The things I would like to see more of are a little more detail on the Brazen Hunter for one. Mostly because I love the ships of 40K, but also because it plays a rather key role in your Warband. Maybe a few more characters too, aspiring champions or other HQ units.

Cheers Carrack. I've got a few thoughts for the Hunter, I'm just waiting for more stuff to coalesce before I write it down. I'm also slowly coming up with fluff for other characters, that'll probably come into focus as I paint them.

Dragonlover

Archived