1850 Blood Angels vs Imperial Guard

Lucumon

Hey all,

I started playing a league locally where you play 3 people over the course of the month. I wanted to learn the rules better so I figured this would help. The three missions were Maelstorm.

My Army List

Angel’s Fury:

3x Stormravens with Hurricane Bolters

3x Tactical squads with a Hand Flamer, Flamer, and Heavy Flamer

Combined Arms Detachment

1xLibrarian with the Verita Vitae (VV), Jump Pack, and Storm Shield

1x 5-man Death Company, no additional upgrades

1xTac Squad with plasmagun, combi plasma, in a drop pod

1xScout Squad, no additional upgrades

2xMeltacide Squads (2xmeltagun, 1xcombi melta each), in drop pods with Deathwind Launchers

His Army List

HQ: Leman Russ Commander with 2 supporting Leman Russi

Heavy Support(HS): Tank squad with 1xDemolisher, 2xLeman Russi

Troops

2xguardian blobs with flamers, lascannons, and a commissar

1x platoon command? with medic, 2 grenade launchers

Pre-game:

Using the VV, rolled for +1 cover save (ruins) & move through cover (ruins) and +1 reserve rolls. For the Libby I got that silly 12” move power… He won the roll to choose sides, I won the roll to deploy first/second and chose to go first… he was unable to seize the initiative. The only thing I started with on the table was the scouts. He held his tank command squad in reserves. There were 6 objectives and we used tactical objectives (aka Tactical Escalation)… I think I like this more than the old ‘set up and hammer one another'

Turn 1

Storm Ravens flew forward ~36” and shot up the HS tank squad. They managed to blow up the lead tank through massive amounts of multi-melta, lascannon, and stormstrike missile fire… and used PoTMS to hurricane bolter a few guardsmen away from Guard Blob 1. The two meltacide squads achieved stunning the two rear tanks. The Deathwind launchers from the drop pods dropped pie plates and killed a few guardsmen from each of the guard blobs. The scouts sat on the objective and find the objective has skyfire. With the bolt pistols. And he had no flyers.

He was able to kill a couple assault marines from each of the meltacide squads and remove the Deathwind launcher from DP1. I think he gets a couple VPs for Obj 5 and 3 which have the -2 charge range and some other benefit I do not remember. The blob was so big it was able to get benefits from both of them. He got a VP for Obj 1.

gallery_22439_10697_273844.jpg

Turn 2

The drop podding Tac 4 squad came in and started shooting up Guard Blob 1. Two of the ‘ravens and Meltacide 1 finished off the tank squad (earning me First Blood). Meltacide 1 decided to go after the PLT HQ so I could issue a challenge for a VP. The meltacide 1 and PLT HQ fought with no results. The Libby and DC decided to roll a 1 and not come in. Stormraven 2 put the hurricane bolters to use against Guard Blob 2. The scouts sat on the objective and earned me a VP through a tactical objective.

His Tank HQ squad came in and killed meltacide 2, Guard Blob shot up, charged, and lost combat against Tac 4, allowing them to reconsolidate and take Obj1, his guard Blob 2 tried to shoot down Stormraven 2. Guard Blob 1 was able to regroup… but generally did nothing. He got a VP for Obj 3. The meltacide 1 and PLT HQ fought with no results.

gallery_22439_10697_52587.jpg

Turn 3

The Stormravens zoom forward again and kill the tank commander (Slay the Warlord). The middle Russ was immobilized and the rear Russ was untouched. The scouts hung out. The meltacide 1 and PLT HQ fought with no results. The Libby and DC came in and went to town on Guard Blob 2. They killed a bunch, esp. since the Libby cast quickening and had I7 with 5 attacks. His commissar killed a DC marine. DP2 with the deathwind launcher and Tac4 whittled away at Guard Blob 1.

With his two Battle Tanks, he shot at Tac1 and killed two marines (I went to ground and used the strategic trait for a 2+ invul) Guard Blob 1 was there… didn’t kill anyone. The meltacide 1 and PLT HQ fought with no results. (noticing a trend here?). The Libby and DC killed more from Guard Blobs and the Libby tanked a powerfist with his storm shield.

gallery_22439_10697_194759.jpg

Turn 4

The Stormravens went into hover mode to avoid flying off the table and killed Leman Russ 4. Tac 3 and 4 assaulted Leman Russ 3 and ripped it apart (20 marines charging!). Tac 4, DP2, and DP3 killed Guard Blob 1 before Stormraven 3 could use the hurricane bolters. Meltacide 1 finally killed a guardsman from the PLT HQ. Tac 1 controlled Obj5 so I got 3 VPs (2 for the same Tactical Objective, 1 for controlling 3 tactical objectives.)

At this point he conceded the game saying he was going to be tabled.

gallery_22439_10697_152842.jpg

Final Results:

- He conceded defeat with 4 guardsmen left on the board... Final Score: 10-2

Thoughts:

- It’s really hard to say things went well given how mismatched the game was… I was geared to fight him but he was geared for a slow moving land force. More matches must be played before I say how awesome the Stormravens are. The guy was great to play with and help me out understanding the 7th ed. rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived