"THE ETERNAL SHIELD! THE ETERNAL SWORD! THE ETERNAL FISTS!"

http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg                                                      History                        http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg

The Eternal fists were founded as part of the 7th Founding sometime in the 34th Millennium and were tasked with protecting the Aurelian quadrant of Imperial space that had seen an inordinate amount of Ork activity and had required regular Astartes intervention to stem the losses that the Imperial Guard and Planetary Defense Forces were suffering. Additionally, a handful of the worlds were undeveloped by the Imperium, allowing the Orks to flourish on the surface due to the relatively low opposition able to be mounted by the Imperium. Several of the Astartes chapters that were involved in the campaigns to cleanse the Ork Waaaagh's had suggested the presence of a new Chapter to provide steady protection over the worlds, and to remove the taint of the Orks that had survived the battles with Imperial forces and taken to calling the planets home. Fortunately, the High Lords of Terra had already earmarked a Chapter in the area, and their first mission (that continues to this day) was to serve the Emperor by protecting the citizens of the Imperium in those worlds. 

Imperial Fist genestock had been selected from one of their successor chapters, and the Fists 4th Company Captain was tasked with training the first batch of Marines in the way of combat, leading them on skirmishes against the now-feral Orks that dwelled in the various forests of the worlds. Other 'Fists from his company assisted in training the Neophytes, in addition to scouring the Aurelian planets for additional recruits, typically picking humans who had shown prowess and enthusiasm in engaging the Orks they now had to share their homes with, specifically finding several clans of knights that existed on the feudal world of Eternia. These mere humans, with simple metalurgy, had proven quite successful at protecting their domains from the green scourge and would become fine Astartes. 

Meanwhile, the Adeptus Mechanicus began construction on their selected location for the Chapter's Fortress Monastery, a massive white castle-like structure that was forged deep in the northern mountains of Eternia and would become known as the Pure Matrix. The Chapter decreed that any feudal human foolhardy enough to survive the perilous journey out to find their Monastery would be considered for induction into the legion, such was the nature of their base's location on their new homeworld. Additionally, they were provided with the first of their fleet, the Battle Barge Eternal Dawn Singer was the flagship of a fleet composed of three Strike Cruisers and five Frigates. 

Their insignia would invoke the Templar Brethren of the Imperial Fists Legion, combining the fist over the cross that was adopted by the second founding Black Templars. However their colors took a more interesting path. Originally, their power armor received a unique and experimental treatment of covering the plates with a thin film of copper, combined with white accents to give the marines a proud and stoic appearance that befit their new homeworld. As time went on, however, the copper oxidized and became turquoise the older the Marines grew. Eventually, it was decreed that the colors of the Standard companies would be copper, while the colors of the Veterans would be turquoise, though this would be further modified when the Chapter began to make "re-interpretations" of the Codex.

The Chapter met with success on their first missions, being accompanied by Imperial Fist, Crimson Fist, Black Templar and other IF successors, as well as the Space Wolves, all of which inspired the creation (and deviations) the Chapter would later become known for, as well as the tactics they utilized. Over the next several centuries, they succeeded in removing the ork taint from several of the worlds in their assigned quadrant with the exception of a Death World and a Feral world, where the Orks remained an ever-present threat due to the lush jungles and steep mountains found on both. Additionally, the Chapter successfully repelled several more Ork Waaaaaagh's, assisted in the elimination of a Genestealer cult and uprising (with much help from the Ordo Xenos Inquisition that sniffed it out) and brought many more accolades, though their foremost mission has always remained the removal of the ork taint from the worlds they were tasked with protecting.

http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg                                                  Tactica                      http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg

The Eternal Fists are seen as a strong, brave, yet humble group of Astartes. Their faith in the Emperor matches that of the oldest most dedicated chapters of battle brothers in the Imperium. However, they are also quietly empathetic, caring for the human populations they protect in their quadrant as well as the humans from other distant planets they are sent to battle on. Their commanders often co-ordinate tactics with allied Militarum forces and take care to understand the limitations of their men and equipment. With that being said, their unique training during the Chapters development meant the Commanders prioritized tactical flexibility from all of their men, to a higher degree than that of their Brothers from other Chapters. Indeed, squads of Eternal Fists are trained in the art of close combat and ranged shooting and are expected to do well in both, often times during the same battle. Most importantly though, the Eternal Fists prioritize honor, and a Marine would rather die fighting if it meant others would be saved than to turn back. 

They combine offensive strategies with a defensive mindset, calling their tactics "Shield Surge Assaults" and often applying the term literally. They relentlessly press forward as long as their opponent is kept at range, able to immediately set up defensive positions if an opponent counter-attacks or makes a push forward, using their close combat units to strike out and eliminate stragglers or finish off weakened opponents as the force progresses forward.

The 3rd and 4th Crusader companies utilize a different tactic for the most part, but one developed from fighting Orks all the same. They prefer softening up targets with ranged weaponry, aircraft and artillery, before rushing in with jump infantry and bike squadrons leading mechanized infantry.

The 10th Standard Company, also known as the Fleet Company, also utilizes a variation of the Chapter's tactics, but applied to a smaller scale, as much of their combat doctrine involves boarding actions and defending the Fleet's vessels from foreign threats. 

http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg                                             Organization                 http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg

The Chapter utilizes a rather unorthodox structure that makes several deviations from the Codex Astartes, having been inspired by the Space Wolves and Black Templars to make the "effective" changes. They do retain a total of ten companies, eight of which number around a hundred fully-fledged Space Marines, however these numbers do not take into account the Neophyte Scouts the Chapter takes in, which add anywhere from ten to twenty members to the total company as they do not have a dedicated company for themselves. Companies 5-10 are responsible for all new recruits brought in from the Aurelian quadrant. As these recruits reach the end of their tenure, they are cycled through the 1st and 2nd companies for final evaluation before returning to their respective company as fully-fledged Space Marines. 

The 3rd and 4th Companies deviate from this, however. The two were already outliers in the Chapter, cut off from their homeworld during the tumultuous warp storms that afflicted much of the galaxy during the Age of Apostasy. They eventually took up the fight against the Templar Fraternis and other forces of the High Lord of Terra Goge Vandire, allowing the Black Templars and Imperial Fists they had been accompanying to lay siege on Terra to fell the vile heretical lord. When they were finally able to return to their homeworld, they were an image of a different chapter altogether. One of the Companies had a new Captain, and many of the recruits had been pulled from the worlds they had visited. They would continue to stand at odds with their brothers, finally volunteering to be sent on a penance crusade after they found themselves to be responsible for the loss of a hive while defending against another Ork assault in the 38th millenium, a crusade they continue on to this day, pulling recruits from the worlds they visit and establishing a handful of Chapter Keeps across the stars.  

All companies retain their Veterans and organize them in separate squads, but the 1st and 2nd Companies hold a high amount of the Marines, as after they service their companies, they are called into the "Primaris" companies to share their experiences with the Grand Master so that he might understand the health of the Chapter better, and to ensure the two vigilant companies can respond to calls for aide throughout the Imperium with the highest quality force his Chapter can assemble, as that is the mission of the Primaris companies. 

As a whole, the chapter prefers the Bolter above all else. The weapon was forged into their minds hunting Orks and it is a weapon that all of their marines must excel at using before picking up anything else. The chapter has never had regular access to plasma weaponry, to the point that you would be hard pressed to find such a weapon in any of their company inventories. With the 3rd and 4th again being the exception, the remaining companies maintain fairly small ground vehicle pools, as the dense forests and mountains they learned to fight on did not favor them. Whirlwinds, Razorbacks and Rhino's are the most numerous, but almost all bikes, Predators and Vindicators belong to the Crusader companies, especially the Land Raiders (Though the 1st and 2nd do maintain a few for their terminators). Instead, the others prefer aerial and skimmer vehicles, employing them as scouts and support, having perfected their tactics after years of jungle and mountainous fighting. Lastly, the Chapter maintains only a small number of Librarians (often around 4-5) due to the teachings of their brethren in the Black Templars leading to their downplay on Tactical reliance. At least one Librarian travels with each Crusader Company, but they refrain from deploying to battle if the chapter is fighting alongside their zealous brothers (the Black Templars) or distrustful Militarum legions like the Death Korps of Krieg. 

The 10th Company, despite being organized similarly to the rest of the Standard Companies, retains a higher number of Veterans and Castellans, all of them trained and equipped in the use of Terminator Armor. Additionally, the Initiates amongst the company specialize in small-scale tactics and close combat. The 10th is rarely deployed together, manning the various ships among the Eternal Fists' fleet and serving as a rapid reaction force to provide reinforcements to the rest of the Chapter, as well as the various PDF's of the Aurelian Quadrant. It is for this reason that they also retain a high number of Dreadnoughts for Drop Pod insertion, as well.

http://i.imgur.com/BYBv6XF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg                                                 Heraldry                    http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg

As stated above, the original armor of the first group of marines was experimentally plated with copper, only for it to oxidize despite their best efforts. Since then, the chapter adapted to using normal painting methods, but the Primaris Companies have retained the turquoise look, while the others have the copper paint. The Crusader companies modify theirs slightly with black accents on the helmet and pauldrons, while the 5th-10th companies differentiate each other by accent coloring of the right pauldron. Many of the Eternal Fists have served the Ordo Xenos and as such retain the trademark shoulder Pauldron upon returning to service, this remains Silver and is treated as a badge of honor amongst the chapter, despite the questionable looks they might get from another certain Inquisitorial order...

http://i.imgur.com/6R2uM3y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg                                   On the Tabletop              http://i.imgur.com/sw08S4d.jpg

To portray the various companies on the board, I plan on using Sentinels of Terra for the majority of the force, with detachments using C:SM Black Templar traits as well as Codex Space Wolves as a clearly and accurately modeled "counts-as" method. For the Space Wolves, many of the special characters and dreadnoughts will be avoided. I planned to mostly use them for their Lone Wolves, Troops, Wolf Scouts and of course some of their non-character HQ units since they can get a simple title change. I may possibly do a counts-as Thunderwolf Cavalry, but I'd use the lions from the high elf chariot instead. The Stormwolf might also be used after much of the wolf-iconography is removed.

---Basic Data---

• Homeworld: Eternia
  • Founding: XXX.M34
  • Gene-Seed: Imperial Fists
  • Current Chapter Master: Alexi Lusso
  • Original Chapter Master: Alabaster De Santis
  • Fortress-Monastery: The Pure Matrix
  • Main Colors: Bronze/Turqoise and White
  • Chapter Emblem: White Fist over White Cross.
  • Current Strength: 1200-1600 Astartes (est), Unknown amount of supporting personnel.
  • Founding Chapter: Imperial Fists (speculated, possibly Crimson Fists, exact records lost).
  • Fleet Assets: Three Battle Barges (Venerable Titus, Dawn Singer, Eternal Vigilance), Five Strike Cruisers, Eight Gladius-class Frigates. 

http://i.imgur.com/doMKEwN.jpg

I'm planning on adding more fluff and sorting some of the "generalizations" out. 

Things to do:

• Explain why the 3rd and 4th are on Crusade, which involves atoning for the loss of one of the worlds they were charged with protecting. 
  • Explain why the Chapter is rather fragmented in terms of tactics and combat doctrine, which has to do with the Chapter being separated for some time as a result of The Howling, which occurred shortly after they had been founded. 
  • Introduce the Captains Houses, which include the Captain of the Company, his personal retinue of Veterans (command squad), a Chaplain, a Techmarine and a Castellan, a rank adopted from the Black Templars, which is essentially second in Command and the next in line to be Captain of the company. 

Any feedback on the Chapter? I would appreciate it!

The lack of responses is worrying. Is it too boring? Is it un-original? Or is it so satisfactory that everyone is like "Eh, that works I guess." 

EDIT: Will add more meat to this post.

The Aurelian Quadrant

• Athenaues II - Agri World 
  • Cepharius Prime - Forge World
  • Lesath Primus - Hive World
  • Lesath Secundus - Agri Moon
  • Eternia (III) - Feudal World
  • Cetus III - Death World (Formerly a hive world) 
  • Xaenaria IV - Feral World  

I can only apologise for the lack of response from the community, brother. There should be more activity, especially concerning articles of topics that are left unanswered.

Ok, first of all, you don't need all of those pictures. Really, you don't. I think a scout, a terminator and maybe a couple of marines would cut it nicely. Too many examples leaves people skipping over details they would normally take in because it all becomes much of a muchness.

There's more to be said about the article itself but, for the time being, let's focus on one thing at a time and get some interaction flowing.

I have comments too, but I'll wait until I have more time to respond. If it's of any help, few DIY chapters get loads of discussion going. I've put in a lot of time into mine, but I'm not expecting a huge amount of feedback.

Thank you both for the responses, I look forward to future feedback should you find the time. I appreciate it. 

I can only apologise for the lack of response from the community, brother. There should be more activity, especially concerning articles of topics that are left unanswered.

Ok, first of all, you don't need all of those pictures. Really, you don't. I think a scout, a terminator and maybe a couple of marines would cut it nicely. Too many examples leaves people skipping over details they would normally take in because it all becomes much of a muchness.

There's more to be said about the article itself but, for the time being, let's focus on one thing at a time and get some interaction flowing.

Well I included them in case there are those who desire more visuals than text, but I agree that they dominate the post too much so I'll see about consolidating them and shrinking them as well. (Spent too much time in the damned editor not to keep them up at this point). 

Added the Organization of the Companies in a nice, colorful chart. Also added the notations of the 10th Fleet company, which was organized in such a fashion to make naval operations more effective as well as hide the fact that their 10th Company isn't a scout company, since they all sit on ships between the numbers of 5-25 Marines and rarely get together at full strength. 

Presentation is great, really top notch. Possibly all that's missing (if they're in any way significant to your chapter of course) is allies & enemies and beliefs. Have you thought of much for those?

Presentation is great, really top notch. Possibly all that's missing (if they're in any way significant to your chapter of course) is allies & enemies and beliefs. Have you thought of much for those?

Glad to hear, I've added the Chapter logo now, as well. 

As for enemies and allies...

Allies 

Astartes Allies

Black Templars

Imperial Fists

Crimson Fists

Iron Knights

Soul Drinkers (Pre-excommunication)

Hammers of Dorn

Celestial Lions

White Templars

Red Templars 

Salamanders

Space Wolves

Imperial Allies

Aurelian Defense Network - Comprised of the PDF's of Athenaeus, and Cepharius, the Imperial Guard and Navy based in the Lesath system, and quietly overseen by the Ordo Hereticus with the support of a Preceptory of Adeptus Sororitas based on Lesath Secundus. The council was originally created by the Aurelian Governors so the PDF's and Militarum forces could co-ordinate strategies, eventually inviting the Astartes and Sororitas to the council for transparency and efficiency, though the Inquisition has proven difficult to work with. 

Ordo Xenos and Deathwatch - The Chapter has pledged to always heed the calls of the Ordo Xenos with a Company of men, and they are often called on when the threat of Orks or similar xenos is present. 

Enemies

Orks 

Feral Orks

Dark Eldar

Heretical Cults 

Everything else. 

Ordo Malleus (sort of) - The Chapter's high number of Veterans and overall high average lifespan (when compared to typical Astartes) combined with their suspected non-coherence with the Codex Astartes has lead to tension between the two organizations. The Fists have pledged never to raise their sword against the Inquisition, but are frequently reluctant to permit the Inquisitors (of the Ordo Malleus) on their home world. Thus far, if not for their good relationship with the Ordo Xenos and a reluctant nod of approval from the Ordo Hereticus, this relationship could've been much uglier. 

Alabaster De Santis: The First Fist of Eternia

Finally, it came the time for the Imperial Fists to relinquish their duty in training the promising young chapter, the first step of which would require selecting the Eternal Fist's first Chapter Master, truly the greatest honor. The grizzled four hundred year old veteran Imperial Fist Captain called forth ten recruits who had shown great promise and had impressed his men and himself. Among them were a selection of the finest Astartes born from the Aurelian quadrant, including the first of those who had been recruited from their home planet, Alabaster De Santis. 

Being the first Eternal Fist recruited from Eternia had, of course, won him no favors nor special treatment among his peers which is exactly the way he liked it. No, his respect had been earned from his hard work, success on the battlefield, and cool head in almost any given situation. He had proven equally that he had what it took to be a capable leader and Marine, but so had his nine brothers standing next to him. Eagerly, they awaited the Captain's words, standing in the great assembly hall of the Pure Matrix in front of all of their brothers. After examining each of the young Astartes, the Imperial Fist issued a challenge to all of them. He would face each one in single combat, and the first to best him would earn the right to the Chapter. 

Immediately, De Santis doubted that it would be that easy, and while his compatriots fought and came to blows over who would line up in what order, the sage Astartes calmly made his way to the very end. Several hours passed, and each recruit fell to the expert Captain, until finally it was Alabaster's turn. He already knew the outcome, though he had hoped that successively fighting 9 Marines in single combat would slow the ancient Marine down, he observed the Imperial Fist move as if fully refreshed with each new duel. Still, De Santis met his proxy commander with honor, and the two locked swords and fought for thirty minutes straight, before Alabaster was brought down, giving everything he had and yet finding himself no match for his Captain. 

The Captain predictably announced that he knew none of the ten would have been able to defeat him, but commended them all on their effort and then posed his next challenge. If they desired the reigns to their Chapter, they would have to seek out and fell something even greater than he. They would be arriving at Cetus III the next day to stamp out a tide of Orks that had emerged from several small Roks that had landed on the planet undetected. The warriors bowed their heads and took their leave to make ceremony and prepare for war. 

The next day, his brothers moved with eager pace, assembling their squads, hastily jumping into drop pods and setting off for the battle field. Each eager to slay the largest Ork(s) they could find. Alabaster moved with measured haste, ensuring his brothers were prepared to do battle and mounting instead in a Thunderhawk. It was from this ship, as they descended towards the surface, that he saw the challenge that he knew would win him the title of Chapter Master. There, standing out amongst the sea of Orks and their mechanical menagerie was a massive Stompa, cannons belching fire and death to the Imperial Forces attempting to hold off the xenos invaders. De Santis turned to a brother of the Assault Squad of his company and asked for his Jump Pack. As a sign of the respect he had, his brother and he exchanged packs without question. Alabaster then vox'd the pilot a request, grabbed as many meltabombs as he could reliably carry and jumped out a side door of the compartment.  

Firing the pack at the last possible moment, he crashed down onto the Ork that had been peaking it's head out of the top of the monstrosity, crushing it under his feet and landing in the inner workings of the Xenos machine. He raised his plasma pistol and began firing calculated shots into the head of each and every green skin that charged him, those that got too close met a quick end at the edge of his power sword. Slowly but suredly he cut his way through each and every ork and gretchin that assailed him, making his way further down into the belly of the shambling walker until he found the engine room, conveniently located next to the armory. He acted quickly, using two krak grenades to blow a hole in the side armor of the machine, laying out his melta bombs next to the haphazard array of ordnance shells that were piled in a corner, charging up his plasma pistol, he stuck his head out of the hole and fired the bright blue bolt into the air, before turning it, aiming true at his meltabombs, and letting off another blast onto them as he jetted out the hole and into the air. 

The resulting explosion further launched him into the air and past the Thunderhawk that he had departed, now returning to collect him at his request. The shock wave of the blast laid waste to hundreds of orks in an instant, the victory so spectacular and the escape so demanding that he had failed to notice the searing pain from his missing hand, the pistol having overheated and exploded as he launched his daring escape. Fortunately, he was able to connect with the transport before his jetpack expired doing the same and made his way down to the Imperial forward lines. 

The assault lasted nary an hour longer, the tide being so dramatically turned that even the Conscripts of the PDF were eagerly charging the remaining xenos. De Santis had seen to an Apothecary immediately, and then returned to the fight, wielding only his sword as he cut down what Orks he could. It wasn't until after the battle that his mentor Captain approached him, only having heard of his antics after he questioned the Thunderhawk pilot for making such a low pass over enemy lines. The Captain immediately set into De Santis for taking such reckless actions for an hour, before finally conceding that he had accomplished his mission to the letter and then some. Stating that, in all of his years, he had never seen an Astartes do so little to fell so many Xenos and live to tell the tale. 

After his rivals had heard the news, they each rescinded their challenge for the title of Master, and De Santis was inaugurated to the approval of his Chapter several weeks later. Alabaster's first order was appointing the rivals as Captains of the respective companies, knowing no finer company of men to have lead his brothers. He was gifted a Power Fist dating back to the Great Heresy, a relic of the Imperial Fists chapter and a symbol of office for every Chapter Master since. The weapon integrated with the bionics of his hand and became a symbol of the chapter. As a result, each Chapter Master since has had to perform a ritual of removing one's hand in order to wear the fist, a testament to the sacrifice one has to make to be the leader of the Eternal Fists. 

Additionally, De Santis continued the tradition of challenging promising young recruits to great acts of heroism, sending them off on their own amidst the battle field to slay the enemies of mankind, the champions of evil. Those who survive such perilous tasks become the next Castellans, and in turn, Captains. Ensuring each leader is a champion worthy of admiration, earning the respect of every brother of the chapter. 

Lastly, he quietly removed as many plasma weapons from his chapter's inventory as he could, holding a grudge against "such ineffective weapons" up until the day he died. 

Forces of the Aurelian Quadrant

http://i.imgur.com/UsLemPc.jpg

The Aurelian Astra Militarum Legion is based on Lesath Primus, and co-ordinates with the Aurelian Imperial Naval fleet to aid in the response and defense of the worlds of their neighboring systems as well as Lesath. 

The PDF of Lesath Secundus trains alongside the Imperial Guard and serves as supplementary troops in dire situations, but is tasked with the defense of the Agri-moon in the absence of Imperial Guard aid, and is equipped for such actions. 

The PDF of Athenaues is a grim group of soldiers. The system is at the far end of the section of space making up the quadrant, and when the Orks pay them attention, they must frequently hold out until reinforcements can arrive. Fortunately the farmers and workers of the Agri world are decent shots with their weapons from a lifetime of hunting and defending their lands from Feral Orks and the native predators and pests of their lush planet. 

Officially known as the Order of "la Rosa Speciale", this secretive collection of Battle Sisters set up home on Lesath Secundus, away from the hives on Prime, but close enough to respond should the threat of Heresy emerge. Often called the 'Black Roses' (though never to their face), even by the Astartes of the Eternal Fists, they are known for quietly rooting out heretics and then expunging them in a mass of fire. Indeed, many cultists who thought themselves to be well hidden have met a purifying end in the silence of the night by these grim, dogged and determined sisters. It is whispered that the Ordo Hereticus Inquisitors in the area merely point them in the direction of heresy, rarely accompanying the Militant order, as they strike before one gets a chance to prepare for battle. The Governors of Lesath have lost count of how many heretical cults have been expunged before they even knew about them thanks to the Sisters. It is said that their reputation alone has quelled many an uprising, swaying those who are weak of mind to the path of the Emperor, from fear of the Black Roses alone. 

The Eternal Fists, though not one to pay much mind to their reputation, were nonetheless impressed by their capabilities in battle, as the Sisters aided the efforts of the Ordo Xenos in removing a Genestealer Cult on one of Lesath's Hives early in the 41st Millenium. They used their intricate knowledge of the inner workings of the great city to cut off and trap the xenos filth and their heretical spawn, purging them from the front while the Eternal Fists cleansed from the back. Afterwards, the Battle Sister's Canoness made a brief report to the leaders of the Imperial Guard and Astartes, before they disappeared back to their convent on Lesath Secundus. 

I love what you've written so far. It's obviously a very personal project and the time/effort you have put into it is apparent. Nice Work

Cassiel

Thanks a bunch. 

Did you do the ice palace artwork?

I did not, I just found it on Deviantart, it was the closest thing to what I wanted to go for. The artist who did it is linked in the image. 

I really dig how much work you've put into this. Your guys are really unique! I've never seen a Chapter that seperates color by company like that. As someone who also has an entire sector and all the forces within whirling around in his head, I really appreciate just how in-depth this is. Have you bought any models for the table top yet? I'd love to see them in tangible form.

I really dig how much work you've put into this. Your guys are really unique! I've never seen a Chapter that seperates color by company like that. As someone who also has an entire sector and all the forces within whirling around in his head, I really appreciate just how in-depth this is. Have you bought any models for the table top yet? I'd love to see them in tangible form.

Well, technically there is the Dark Angels who also have different colors for their first two companies. But I appreciate the feedback. 

I have some Sternguard, Devastators and a Land Speeder, and I'm currently stripping the paint off of some of my Black Templars who will be re-purposed as Eternal Fists. At this moment I'm having a hard time deciding which paints I want to get for the desired turquoise color I want to do. But I'll of course post pictures as soon as I get something painted. 

Well, technically there is the Dark Angels who also have different colors for their first two companies. But I appreciate the feedback. 

I have some Sternguard, Devastators and a Land Speeder, and I'm currently stripping the paint off of some of my Black Templars who will be re-purposed as Eternal Fists. At this moment I'm having a hard time deciding which paints I want to get for the desired turquoise color I want to do. But I'll of course post pictures as soon as I get something painted. 

Your turquoise is pretty bright and citadel doesn't have any stock paints quite like that. I'm not sure about Vallejo. What I'd do is take some Sotek Green (Hawk Turquoise in the old paint line) and mix it with White Scar (Skull White) or Lothern Blue (Ice Blue). That should give you that brighter color, I'd think.

Battlefield Roles of the Eternal Fists Company Command.

Captain
Simply put, the Captains operate to the rule of the Codex as much as possible, even in the companies that have deviated from it's teachings. A Captain co-ordinates a pre-battle plan with his Chaplain, Castellan, First Sergeant (the Veteran Sergeant of the Command Squad), Primus (Veteran Sergeant assigned to a Tactical squad) and Librarian if one is attached to his company. The Captain often backs the front lines, guiding his battle brothers to push forward, and filling any breaks in the line with himself, his command squad or both. In critical situations, however, he may lead a small detachment of his main force to fulfill a vital strategic goal. In addition to the council of his brothers below, the Captain has an attachment of Serfs that he uses to communicate with allied forces as well as the feudal humans of Eternia. 

Chaplain
In addition to the normal duties of the Chaplain position, an Eternal Fist Chaplain is expected to lead from the front and keep his battle brothers morale high. He is in constant contact with the Captain and Castellan in order to guide the front line of the Eternal Fists into whatever position is required. Like most Chaplains, he is typically assigned to either a squad of Assault Marines or Vanguard Veterans but rarely operates independently. The Chaplain is not considered to be in the direct line of command, but is responsible for stabilizing the company in the aftermath of the Captain falling in battle. He will serve as co-acting Captain alongside the Castellan until a decision is made by the Chapter Master to find a new Captain (a young Castellan could be seen as too inexperienced to helm a company, for example). Each Chaplain has around one to two Wardens who are apprenticed under him. These Marines are usually Sergeants among in the company's squads but assist in pre-battle ceremonies. 

Castellan
The Castellan fills a similar role to those found in Black Templar companies, as well as Wolf Guard Battle Leaders. These are seasoned veterans who are proven to have what it takes to lead the company, yet must now prove themselves even further with additional responsibilities inherent within the position. The Castellan is often tasked with leading a small detachment usually consisting of two to three units of Eternal Fists, counter-striking enemy assaults, flanking enemy defenses, or charging in from Drop Pods to provide reinforcements. While he responds and reports to the Captain, his authority is all his own so that he may confirm his abilities. In certain situations, he will accompany the Command Squad should the need arise. In the event that the Captain is required to perform a mission element that requires a small amount of men during a larger action, the Castellan takes his place in charge of the larger force in his absence.

Due to the amount of men present in the Crusader companies, the Castellans often play a larger role, each more or less in charge of an equal portion of the troops, with the Captain usually joint-leading with one Castellan and his men during a military action. In the 10th Fleet Company, the Castellans are frequently in charge of the various ships they're assigned to, and bolster the small-scale combat actions of the few men that they serve with. 

First Sergeant and the Command Squad
The Command Squad is required to be one of the most flexible units of Eternal Fists on the battlefield. The Veterans and specialists that make up the unit epitomize what is expected of an Eternal Fist. With that being said, they do have some deviations in member selection from a normal squad, as the Command squad is also meant to represent the range of views and opinions of the entire company so that they can effectively council their Captain and Castellan to make the best decisions. 

• First Sergeant: The First Sergeant is ranked among the highest authorities in the company, he is a veteran of many wars and is one step away from being promoted to Castellan. He serves as the trusted adviser to the Company's Captain, and leads the small unit of his brothers into battle with the utmost ease. He also fervently protects the Captain or Castellan if they are leading the squad directly, taking care to make sure they see the next battlefield. 

• Company Champion: The Champion is one of the finest soldiers in the Company and makes art out of his sword craft mastery. Should the enemy dictate the need for the command squad to take on a more ranged role, he will often head off into battle all unto his own to find an enemy to slay with his blade. The Company Champion battles with the Castellan for the right to represent the Eternal Fists at the Feast of Blades. 

• Standard Bearer: Unlike most Command squads in Astartes Chapters, and indeed unlike the rest of his brethren in the unit to which he is assigned, the Standard Bearer is the least experienced soldier among his peers. The position often rotates among all Initiates of the company, each taking up the honor of wielding and protecting the colors of the Company. Additionally, he represents the view and stands as the voice of the younger Initiates, helping the Captain understand his younger brothers and attend to them more effectively. It is an unspoken rule that a brother is only permitted to drop the banner in battle if his life has left him. 

• Apothecary: Despite the unit being strategically lead by the First Sergeant, it is the Apothecary that often forms the backbone. Due to their unique battlefield role and expertise, Apothecaries often see multiple sergeants come and go, indeed even Captains and Castellans have all rotated into and out of position during an Apothecary's tenure. It is for this reason that, despite rarely being called on for, or freely offering advice, the Apothecary is respected as wise counsel not only among his brothers in the Command Squad, but among the rest of the leadership as well. 

Primus
This is not so much a rank as it is more of an honorary title that comes with a few additional responsibilities. The Primus is the second most senior Veteran Sergeant (after the First Sergeant of the Command Squad) who is often attached to younger Initiates to further guide them in the art of war, but to also spread the combat effectiveness of the entire Eternal Fists force. Additionally, the Primus is often responsible for the rearguard command and is frequently tasked with securing and holding captured locations so that the Eternal Fists can have reliable fallback points should they require. The Primus  and his unit is often accompanied by, and is responsible for the safety of, the Company's assigned Techmarine, covering him while he enhances fortifications or repairs vehicles especially in combat situations. He may also lead single-unit drop pod strikes or insertions alongside or in lieu of those lead by a Castellan. 

Techmarine
While not often considered a leadership position (save for the Master of the Forge), the Techmarines nonetheless have a heavy say in combat actions, ensuring vehicles are used effectively and offering advice to mitigate potential losses or delays caused by poor route planning. They are required to not only know how the vehicles function mechanically speaking, but the limits of their weapons and armaments as well, eking the most out of a missile's range, or guiding anti-tank weapons to the right targets etc. Thus they are often in charge of any long-range weaponry and ordnance actions that the Company may be exercising, working closely with the Company's Devastators. Additionally, they co-ordinate with Techmarines assigned to the company from the Chapter Master's retinue. 

• 1 month later...

Your turquoise is pretty bright and citadel doesn't have any stock paints quite like that. I'm not sure about Vallejo. What I'd do is take some Sotek Green (Hawk Turquoise in the old paint line) and mix it with White Scar (Skull White) or Lothern Blue (Ice Blue). That should give you that brighter color, I'd think.

I actually discovered two simpler routes, one of which I'll try and the other which I might fall back on if I don't get the desired results. On one hand, Nihilakh Oxide looks good when painted over a white base coat and that's what I'll be trying first, but if that doesn't work out, I saw that Coelia Greenshade also gives me the desired look I want when done over white.

I'm excited by the new codex as several of the new formations really fit the tactics I described the Eternal Fists using. I have purchased the paints and am waiting on some upgrade sprues to arrive and then I'll be sure to post a picture or two here when I get something assembled and painted. I'll be making a separate thread in the WIP section that will detail not only my Eternal Fists, but also my friend's Ultramarine's, Space Wolves, Grey Knights and Black Legion, since they might not make a thread for their work themselves, and the one making Space Wolves has done a fantastic job painting them so far for a first time (though he hasn't done a good job removing mould lines wacko.png ).

High, seems pretty good.

I have to admit that I'm not too sure why your chapter doesn't want to follow the codex astartes like its father chapter : you might want to find a special explanation, more than just "they fought alongside the space wolves" - many other chapters have fought alongside the wolves and haven't adopted their modus operandi. What you've done with the 3rd and 4th companies is interesting, and you've explained it well, so I'd recommend you going down that line of thought. (I admit that this sort of organisation is far more logical than the Codex Astartes, but it deserves fleshing out in the fluff)

Have you thought of using Nihilakh Oxide over copper bases ? at least for details, like the chest aquila ?

High, seems pretty good.

I have to admit that I'm not too sure why your chapter doesn't want to follow the codex astartes like its father chapter : you might want to find a special explanation, more than just "they fought alongside the space wolves" - many other chapters have fought alongside the wolves and haven't adopted their modus operandi. What you've done with the 3rd and 4th companies is interesting, and you've explained it well, so I'd recommend you going down that line of thought. (I admit that this sort of organisation is far more logical than the Codex Astartes, but it deserves fleshing out in the fluff)

Have you thought of using Nihilakh Oxide over copper bases ? at least for details, like the chest aquila ?

The final paragraph of the History section was meant to sort of clear that up, but I didn't really go much into detail. Basically, portions of the Chapter trained alongside IF Successors, while a few small groups trained with Space Wolves. Being that these men had little tradition to abide by, the Space Wolves imprinted on them and they used the tactics they learned from them and carried them into the overall company as those men rose to command positions. 

However, they adopted the tactics not because they were simply used by the Space Wolves, but because they were effective in their environment. The use of Cavalry over mountainous and dense jungle terrain was a very viable tactic, and Eternia was home to some fierce Lions that were up to the task. Additionally, units operating independently liked the tactical flexibility of using Bolter and CCW over a Bolt Pistol. 

As for the paints, the original idea was to have a very simplistic but detailed color scheme of white and turquoise (I have no plans at the moment to model the Copper Companies, but I may paint a model or two just for fun). However, I'm going to experiment with painting certain trim pieces and molded Fist icons in a bright silver to help them stand out against the white if I can't achieve the look I want of having a white on white on turquoise. 

• 3 months later...

The Star Ghost: A mystery from the past. 

One of the most interesting stories in the history of the Eternal Fists is one of their most closely guarded secrets. Sometime during the 36th Millennium, the Eternal Fists stumbled upon

a venerable treasure chest of pre-Heresy Astartes tech whilst exiting from a warp jump in an attempt to return home...

The group which made the discovery consisted of two companies of men and elements of the 10th that found themselves deep in the darkness of space,

far flung from the nearest stars and well off course of their intended destination. They were not entirely alone in the void, though, as sitting in front of the two strike cruisers and their escort craft was a hulking behemoth that was quickly identified as an Astartes-class Battle Barge. 

After several attempts to hail the ship were met with no response, the attached Librarian reached through the warp to examine the ship closer, finding no readily apparent 

signs of life or movement. The fleet began visually inspecting the ship and were at ease to find that there was no apparent damage or signs of distress to the hull. More alarmingly, however, was the utter lack of insignia and iconography that would help identify which Space Marine chapter the craft belonged to. The Techmarines did make note that the craft appeared to have several design elements and features that were common on pre-heresy era battle barges, however, and this only furthered the senses of suspicion and mystery for the Fists' leadership. 

The Captains elected to hold position, sending word to Eternia of their find and seeking counsel on how to move forward. Their Chapter Master was quick to respond, 

instructing his men to inspect the ship thoroughly and cautiously, search for signs of taint, and if none were found, return to Eternia with the ship, should it be found to be operational. Immediately, the Fists' party sent their Terminator-armoured brethren in to inspect the ship in closer detail and secure the point of entry for the rest of the party. Despite the anticipation of a trap, the Fists' elite were met with silence and darkness through their short journey to the access point, and with their brothers shortly joining them, further expectations were put to rest when it was determined that the ship was still in the Emperor's service and under his protection. 

The two companies began a thorough investigation of the majority of the ship, Chaplain's searching for visual signs of heresy, Librarian's feeling for aberrations in the warp

that would suggest the tendrils of Chaos, and Techmarines examining the state of the ship's condition and seeking further clues to where she originated and to whom she once served. After a month passed, the results of their efforts reported that the ship showed no signs of heresy or Chaos, but most stiflingly, no recognizable iconography to determine who it's owner was. Strangely, the Imperial Aquila was sparsely seen, and what other few icons could be found were not matched to anything in Imperial historical data-logs. 

Even more mystifying was the presence of hundreds of suits of antiquated power armour, as well as some unidentified marks and modifications that were not readily 

recognized. All of it was painted a pale sky blue with steel accents, but was otherwise devoid of  markings, squad numbers, company markings, etc. With Techmarines buzzing in excitement and Librarians pouring over ever bit of information they could in confusion, the Fists' failed in an attempt to restart the craft. Thus they elected to collect the invaluable armour, weapons and other recognizable relics and return with the necessary means to re-start the craft. A pair of frigates lead by the attached 10th Company Castellan were left to keep the ship secure while the rest of the fleet set out on their repair mission.

On the return journey, however, the ships experienced a severe warp storm, causing them to arrive at the location a year later than they should have. After confirming their

location, they were dismayed to see no sign of the mysterious Battle barge or their Frigates. In the ensuing centuries, the mystery only deepened as they never heard from their missing men again, and no remains of their vessels were ever found. The armours were quarantined and thoroughly examined, cleansed and rejuvenated before finally entering service almost a thousand years after they were discovered. The ancient marks were given to the Chapter's elite and became an additional symbol of the Chapter's mysterious timelessness.

The ship was retro-actively named the Star Ghost and all records that the Chapter had kept were destroyed save for a few paltry logs that were buried deep within the 

Chapter's Librarium, hidden in a special chamber only the Chief Librarian and Chapter Master were permitted access to. Little thought is given to it this day, with the relic armours that survived from that time being listed as ancient gifts from the Imperial Fists, all involved thoroughly believing this lie in blissful ignorance. If you can call a Space Marine's life bliss. 

• 10 months later...

The Eternal Auxilia

Shortly after the creation of the Eternal Fists, it became apparent that their numbers alone were not enough to stem the tide of Orks flowing into their space. The Astra Militarum legions and various PDF's of the time proved ineffective, their leadership fragmented and often unwilling to cooperate with the Astartes Leadership. The Eternal Fists took it upon themselves then, creating their own force of mortals by using their own recruiting network that existed for Neophyte selection, inspired by the Solar Auxilia of old. Eventually, their success lead to the absorption of ineffective forces that had previously hindered them, culling the poor leadership and re-shaping the soldiers into precision tools.  After a millennium passed, however....

What was once formally a massive one hundred million strong force known as the Aurelian Guard was broken down into the PDF's and Astra Militarum divisions shown above. The Aurelian Guard were integrated directly into the command structure of the Eternal Fists while also maintaining a mortal command structure along side. However, after news of the Badab war reached the Aurelian Sector, the Eternal Fists elected to separate themselves from the Guard, fearing their motives would be seen unjust. 

However, the need for an auxiliary force that could directly support Eternal Fist actions remained, thus the Eternal Auxilia was born. The force was still formidable, but a fraction of what it once was, numbering *only* one million men. They were split up into three distinct groups with different missions which included Tactica Naval, Eternia Defense and the Pure Matrix Guard. All three composed of elite, disciplined warriors that aspired to be as great as their Eternal Fist masters and served a valuable capacity to ensure the defeat of the Emperor's and Fist's enemies.     Below is a general outline of each divisions responsibilities:

• Tactica Naval - - - The forces of Tactica Naval serve two primary roles. Their first role is the defense of the Eternal Fist's fleet vessels in the event of unwanted incursion, coordinating with 10th Company Astartes and/or Eternal Fist techmarines to deploy in the most tactically viable positions for best effect. Their second role is to support Eternal Fist foreign ground actions by holding any fallback points or landing zones after the Eternal Fist's have secured them. They may also take on a slightly offensive role if it is necessary to create an extraction point for Eternal Fist ground forces, as well. Tactica Naval numbers about one hundred thousand personnel, scattered across the fleet. They are also the only division of the Eternal Auxilia to serve alongside the 3rd and 4th Company's at present. 

• Eternia Defense - - - This division's primary role is as dedicated PDF of the Eternal Fist's home world and their numerical superiority when compared to the other two divisions support this. Their secondary role is to provide large-scale support for Eternal Fist actions within the Auerlian Sector, but only when the need is dire. They will occasionally fulfill the Tactica Naval's role, in order to maintain military experience in the heat of battle, but only inside of the sector. 

• Pure Matrix Guard - - - Lastly, their name leaves little mystery to their purpose. The relatively small force of fifty thousand is permanently stationed at or near the Fortress Monastery. It consists of the finest warriors Eternia has born, as well as those that the 'Fist's had recruited but ruled out for final indoctrination, as well as the most veteran soldiers of the Eternal Auxilia.  The Guard have the esteemed honor of serving under the highest ranking commanders in the Eternal Fist Chapter, protecting them directly alongside at least one company of Space Marines at all times. 

On the tabletop:

Tactica Naval would be represented by Astra Militarum Veterans. Their organization would follow Eternal Fist doctrines of emphasizing the man over all else. Organization would primarily consist of Company/Platoon Command Squads, Heavy Weapons teams, Psykers and Mechanicus Enginseer's as well. They would ideally be played in a defensive role when on the "ground", manning fortifications and other tactical elements. In a space battle, they would operate as mobile infantry only, relying on Servitors for heavy weapons support. 

Eternia Defense would be represented by most standard Astra Militarum units, though lacking large fleets of Battle Tanks, utilizing flyers, sentinels and Chimera-based platforms to navigate the lush world's of the Aurelian Sector. They only employ a single pattern of Leman Russ, a specific version also found in other Aurelian Forces, equipped with a demloisher cannon and heavy flamers, making it ideal for urban and jungle warfare, especially against the hordes of Orks they often faced. Additionally, they would not employ conscript units within their company's. 

Lastly, the Pure Matrix Guard would be represented by Inquisitorial counts-as units, chiefly the Inquisitor's (Guard Masters), Ministorum Priests (Imperial Truth Adepts), Adepts (Matrix Guard) and Crusaders (Eternal Knights). These units would also feature Servitors and Psykers, Astra Militarum Veterans, Adeptus Mechanicus Enginseer's, Command Squads, Weapons teams, Valkyrie gunships, Sentinels and Chimera light tanks. The Matrix Guard would be accompanied by Astartes units as well, more on the Pure Matrix contingent of the Eternal Fists to come. 

Archived