Skitarii Colourschemes!

Charlo

Hopefully everyone is further along painting thier Skitarii than me (still in box!) but i'm trying to decide on a colourscheme and I did a quick and dirty overpaint of some of the art to show you guys mine:

The Skitarii of Infernum Secondus:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/Skitaari_zpsgh7y8wnv.jpg

And on a Mini too:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/Skitarii%20mini_zpsleetevn4.jpg

Share your own too!

It's funny, when they teased that Skitarii could come in different colors - I thought cool.

Then I find out the choices are red-grey-black or black-grey-red or red-black-grey, and then there's orange-red-grey.

So obviously, I'm going Ryza orange-red-grey.

Well I am boring and going for the traditional colours. I love the red and the mix of the metals and subtle black fatigue. 

These Vanguards are a part of my 10 men unit. Speed painted so I can use them fully painted once I have my whole force assembled. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/5%20man%20Vanguard%20Arc%20rifle.jpg

i was planning on doing my own with Orange...but lo and behold Ryza has arrived so thats my scheme!

i like the red pants on Charlo's scheme, the grey should look good too,very interested to see how the red plasma comes out !!?

Vash - Great work thumbsup.gif ill second the request and ask Exactly how did you do that base, i know it iron earth...but the rest of the secret recipe please wub.png

Mithril

SELECTED: DENTRICA I OF II

ENGAGE NEURAL CONGRESS – WIRELESS AUTOSHUNT ACQUIRED

UPLOADING… + A MECHANICUS BY ANY OTHER COLOUR... +

Classic colours have their good points: Everyone knows who and what they are. None of the "Oh, it's just [insert colour] marines...".

There is no doubt it is the Adeptus Mechanicus and they are here to make you meet their Maker.

The Knight colour schemes are also a great consideration.

Like Charlo, I am considering a similar golden look. Only reverse the red and gold: red for battle plate, lower arms and lower legs - gold for helms, upper arms, and upper legs. Cloaks may be grey or darker red (not sure until I test the scheme on a model). May use metallic for unit type: elites red/gold, troops red/silver, fast attack red/bronze, heavy supports red/iron.

Then, there's always another imperial scheme to consider:

med_gallery_8429_8832_157243.jpg

It would still be within the Adeptus Mechanicus' red/black/grey + white schemes.

R.

...SIGNAL LOST

I'm going for a "reverse default" scheme on mine; crimson inside robes, dark grey outside. It makes for darker models but the blue glow shows up a little more strongly, and the metals really stand out. Not quite happy with the highlight layer on the grey yet, though; gotta get it nailed down before I try my first Onager! biggrin.png

@ redmoon, yeah that scheme really does look the goods,.....white though ohmy.png hard to do really well... good luck with it.

as mentioned by others gold plate on the alpha's/Primes would look fantastic and really mark them out (Note to self,do i really want my prime to stand out like the proverbial..unsure.png )

Rashbold - either way your going to do them justice! i do hope you get the Imperial scheme ironed out,it would be outstanding if done with the just right palette choice! (fingers crossed)

We should have a painting post at the top of the forum A "show your Skitarii" topic....

Mithril

@mithrilforge, sounds like you just volunteered, mate!  The only problem I have pushing ahead too much is that ETL is coming, but I suppose it won't be too bad if I just get a couple units painted up . . .

Thanks for the comments on the unit I posted.

To answer how I painted the base:

- Paint the base with Rhinox Hide

- Add slate stones or rubble if you want

- Use/add/paint the Martian Ironearth onto the base

- Drybrush with Skag Brown

- Drybrush with Ushabti Bone

SELECTED: DENTRICA I OF II

ENGAGE NEURAL CONGRESS – WIRELESS AUTOSHUNT ACQUIRED

UPLOADING… + A MECHANICUS BY ANY OTHER COLOUR... +

Classic colours have their good points: Everyone knows who and what they are. None of the "Oh, it's just [insert colour] marines...".

There is no doubt it is the Adeptus Mechanicus and they are here to make you meet their Maker.

The Knight colour schemes are also a great consideration.

Like Charlo, I am considering a similar golden look. Only reverse the red and gold: red for battle plate, lower arms and lower legs - gold for helms, upper arms, and upper legs. Cloaks may be grey or darker red (not sure until I test the scheme on a model). May use metallic for unit type: elites red/gold, troops red/silver, fast attack red/bronze, heavy supports red/iron.

It would still be within the Adeptus Mechanicus' red/black/grey + white schemes.

R.

...SIGNAL LOST

Actually while i'm sticking to my established scheme the vanguard helmets do remind me of the Black wrigglers from Robo Story

http://www.planete-jeunesse.com/images/0388/Robostory06.jpg

Who were led by the White Wriggler

http://www.planete-jeunesse.com/images/0388/Robostory04.jpg

It was quite a strange French cartoon.

R.

...SIGNAL LOST

Actually while i'm sticking to my established scheme the vanguard helmets do remind me of the Black wrigglers from Robo Story

http://www.planete-jeunesse.com/images/0388/Robostory06.jpg

Who were led by the White Wriggler

http://www.planete-jeunesse.com/images/0388/Robostory04.jpg

It was quite a strange French cartoon.

...evil Rotors versus friendly Robors...

The Revered Reverence lives... msn-wink.gif

I always hate when people focus on the basing and forget that there's a model on it, but that is some really sweet basing, Vash. Thanks for posting the tutorial; think I'm gonna "borrow" it! msn-wink.gif

Question guys, I was thinking of doing Blue robes with red armour for my Skitarii, now I'm wondering whether I should do red robes with blue armour, the blue robes would be easier to do.

What shade of blue are we talking, here?  I'm assuming you're keeping the red similar to the studio scheme, but that's important too.  Are you still doing some metallics?

Did anyone else feel a real pang of loss when seeing how cool the new Gryphonne IV logo is? The eagle holding the wrench with it's wing turning into the cog? A brilliant touch on the old background that the wings of the Aquila were the Mechanicus and the old single-wing emblem on one 1st ed techpriest. That's a really lovely emblem, and a good reminder that the people who think 40k' never moves forward don't know what they are talking about.

You see, Gryphonne IV was one of the major Forgeworlds of early 40k. It's Titan Legion and colours were used as colour scheme examples in Epic rulebooks. It was mentioned in a lot of background. Many Imperial Guard Tank designs were said ti have originated from that world. A fair few people played that army.

It died. Tyranids destroyed it, (in 5th edition i think!). Right on the Raven Guard's doorstep. Died in a huge battle of Titans and Skitarii defending the Forgeworld to the death while the inhabitants of the rest of the system were evacuated.

So if anyone wants to play the historical Skitarii of Gryphonne IV with their awesome new logo (you could even keep them going past the forgeworld's destruction if they were on an Explorator fleet when the Tyranids showed up unable to get back in time!) here's the old colour scheme.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dZ-GLhcvuoQ/TP5i43jHbkI/AAAAAAAAAS0/uLh9h7pDUkY/s1600/war-griffons.jpg

Archived