[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

Further to my last post, I took my Death Guard to the Heresy Throne of Skulls, which was brilliant! I will add more of a write-up in my project log with pictures, but just some general thoughts on what I used.

I wrote lists for 2k, 2.5k and 3k to suit the flex system in place at the event: playing two games of 2k, 1 of 2.5k and 2 at 3k. I basically had a few core elements I swapped out - the higher points meant I added the aforementioned Praetor, Fire Raptor etc. - but I hadn't really optimised for 2k and with the benefit of hindsight, probably wouldn't've taken that fully tooled up Spartan! I had a fantastic weekend, with five great games - and was lucky to go 3-2 against some lovely armies and great opponents.

Equally, my core of two 20-strong Tacticals with Apothecaries were useful, but more Troops choices for Objective-led missions may have been more flexible. I must remember that Mortarion makes them stubborn in future... And a Vexilla may be a good investment!

Having not used Phosphex Quad Mortars before... I will definitely be using again! With Crawling Fire, it is very handy - and great for generating high volumes of hits and basically removing squads.

Mortarion is still tough: playing against Custodes (my first game against them), and standing tall against Valdor, two Dreads and a Praetor (in various combinations for nearly four turns) was impressive.

I will keep using Creeping Death with this list: I didn't really need the cover saves, and turning the forests to sludge worked at least once. I'm tempted by a couple of completely different builds and utilising a few alternative things, so will report on those accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

this has probably been asked a few times in this chat, but. Grave Wardens or Death shroud? I've played a 'test' game with 5 grave wardens + Mortarion and they managed to stop 5 firedrakes + Vulkan from doing any damage, something that death shroud statistically can't do. I'm playing with Mortarion and Typhon in a spartan and they need a body guard. the fluffy option would be the death shroud (because they're Mortys bodyguard) but another fluffy option is the grave wardens (Typhon's 1st company elite) looking after the master of the terminus est.

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO TAKE! HELP ME!

Grave Wardens usually end up performing better for me, but they eat a Heavy Support slot, which can be problematic in some games (mitigated somewhat if you're taking a Spartan that would have been in that slot anyway). If you're looking to take on an enemy 2W deathstar, they will do better than Deathshroud, as their fists cancel out 2W and a 4+ invulnerable is very useful, as you would have noticed. They're only inferior to Deathshroud if you're looking to tank masses of AP3 or worse shots or cut down enemy elites before they strike, assuming you don't care about sweeping with the -1 modifier.

Deathshroud are still fantastic though, and definitely have a place. Both units are fantastic value for their points, and have gorgeous models to boot. Buy both. :P

One thing to consider about deathshroud termiantors over grave wardens is that they will strike at ap2 before any unwieldy weapons, which is incredibly handy. I might actually bet on deathshroud doing better against other terminators than grave wardens because of that. At the end of the day though I think they are both solid. 

One thing to consider about deathshroud termiantors over grave wardens is that they will strike at ap2 before any unwieldy weapons, which is incredibly handy. I might actually bet on deathshroud doing better against other terminators than grave wardens because of that. At the end of the day though I think they are both solid.

I think this is huge as well as good placement can net you a bonus attack a deathshroud.

A good offense is a strong defense if you can kill a bunch of another unique terminator before they can hurt you. You'll remove a ton of hurt coming your way. (Scythe will also wound on a 2+ with rad grenades... deathshroud are characters reaping lets then take rad nades)

Admittedly power fists will be removing fnp and instant deathing so also are very good.

So in reading the post above by @Chaeron I was wondering just how many Quad Mortars are ideal?  I already own a Scorpius, but wondered if a single Quad Mortar would be enough or if I'd need to convert a pair of them for best use ?

Also, any thoughts on a Plasma Tactical Support Squad versus a Veteran Squad with dual plasma and combi-plas' in a Reaping or PotL list ?  I've been in debate as I keep reading about plasma support squads being great all rounders, but building a third vet squad focusing on Plasma would give me more options (and would require less magnets and no additional weapon pack purchase).

this has probably been asked a few times in this chat, but. Grave Wardens or Death shroud?

Just to add to the range of opinions, although I think most aspects have been covered, it's what you also want to use them for. Generally, I'm just trying to use Deathshroud as ablative wounds to keep protecting Mortarion, as well as being a hard-hitting combat unit too. I've not tried Grave Wardens in this role, mostly due to the initiative step at which they'll fight, and because they would be taking up a valuable slot that I would normally fill with a Medusa/Spartan/Fire Raptor. I've previously used Grave Wardens in ZM to great effect, although given the experiences listed above, it might be nice to vary my typical build and include them as something different.

So in reading the post above by @Chaeron I was wondering just how many Quad Mortars are ideal?  I already own a Scorpius, but wondered if a single Quad Mortar would be enough or if I'd need to convert a pair of them for best use ?

I can't speak from a point of variance, as whilst I've only just gone down the route of Phosphex in recent time, I've been routinely using three of them in a battery. I have seen lists where people split them into separate units, but I think a minimum of two would probably be sensible because they are a big target - and to be able to have them firing for as long as possible is a big bonus. That said, with the amount of hits you can potentially put out with just one, it may well still earn back its points and more!

Also, any thoughts on a Plasma Tactical Support Squad versus a Veteran Squad with dual plasma and combi-plas' in a Reaping or PotL list ?  I've been in debate as I keep reading about plasma support squads being great all rounders, but building a third vet squad focusing on Plasma would give me more options (and would require less magnets and no additional weapon pack purchase).

Mortars are one of the best artillery pieces in the game, don't think it really matters how many you run, any amount is good. Sure one lone battery of one is an easier target, but it is t7 and can be hidden in cover so it's not going down that easy. 

As for plasma tactical supports vs veterans, I think both have their merits. Tactical supports of course have a consistent amount of better firepower over the course of the game, but because of that they are a very high value target, it's unlikely they'll survive that long. Vets with combi weapons on the other hand become less of a threat after they shoot off their combi weapons, which might safe them for a turn given they are lower target priority. In addition, veterans are definetly more versatile given they can be a half decent assault unit. Plus it's hardly like sniper vets are useless after using their combi weapons, the sniping still bolter shots still can do a decent amount of damage. I'd say you can't really go wrong with either options though. 

Mortars are one of the best artillery pieces in the game, don't think it really matters how many you run, any amount is good. Sure one lone battery of one is an easier target, but it is t7 and can be hidden in cover so it's not going down that easy. 

As for plasma tactical supports vs veterans, I think both have their merits. Tactical supports of course have a consistent amount of better firepower over the course of the game, but because of that they are a very high value target, it's unlikely they'll survive that long. Vets with combi weapons on the other hand become less of a threat after they shoot off their combi weapons, which might safe them for a turn given they are lower target priority. In addition, veterans are definetly more versatile given they can be a half decent assault unit. Plus it's hardly like sniper vets are useless after using their combi weapons, the sniping still bolter shots still can do a decent amount of damage. I'd say you can't really go wrong with either options though. 

Thanks for your input!  Two quads sounds about right then :)  In this case I'll definitely go for the Vet squads and if new plastic heresy sculpts come out, might add a few more plasma marines to build up a TSS.  Was going to go for two 10-man plasma vet squads - 2x plasmagun, 3x combi-plas and the third squad using magnetised paired melta or flamers with up to 5x combi's .  Wasn't sure if it would be better to go with more or less plasma combi's and what if I should bother giving the Sergeants a CCW, scythe or combi etc.

Hey, joining my fellow sos of Barbarus finally. Long term player back to the original Adeptus Titanicus, Death Guard all the way. Mostly play non-competitive, so dont ask me about deathstars.

Welcome! I think DG are a great army for playing fluffy, fun games of attrition as DG should.  May not win but you can pack your army with scoring units to make it interesting, and fluffy.

Have you played any games yet?

Hey, joining my fellow sos of Barbarus finally. Long term player back to the original Adeptus Titanicus, Death Guard all the way. Mostly play non-competitive, so dont ask me about deathstars.

Deathstars are for n00bs anyway.

Real Men fight and win with Legion Tactical Marines.

Oh i have played a few. Have the Big M himself but he tends to stay home. Have around 11K painted and some other stuff in the works. Mostly role the reaping.

Played at the Tempus Fugitive Heresy events way back when, all 4 of them. Took 120 marines to the party, killed titans and Primarchs. Like Tactical Marines, like heavy bolters more.

@3k typhoon or morty. If had to choice a,low. ??

It's very list dependant. The Typhon is more outwardly destructive and easy to accommodate as you just pop it in and blow stuff up.

Mortarion however needs a list built (mostly) around him. He'll need a way up the board and a retinue etc.

Artillery gun line. Medusas, quads and heavy squads, do have deathshroud or gravewardens to act as bodyguard and a Spartan tho. I have both a typhoon and morty but can't include both.

And as for grav imploders..... I have my own reductor force

Well, with HH possibly going to 8th and heavy weapons + Movement only conferring a -1 To-Hit (as far as GW tells us), seems like the Reaping with HSS in Troops footslogging might be in a decent spot going forwards.

Yup hoping that 8th will make HSS models a little more worthwhile regardless of their particular weapon.

Ok, so I've got my 15-man assault squad built, the sergeants' scythe(s) came in the mail last week along with a pack of combis for my vets and enough extra plasma for a TSS.

I've got some spare MkIII's and wondered if I should be building a Chaplain or Apothecary with JP for support?  Also, whilst the sergeant has a scythe, I was thinking 2x Power Swords and maybe an Axe if I can find one?

Well, with HH possibly going to 8th and heavy weapons + Movement only conferring a -1 To-Hit (as far as GW tells us), seems like the Reaping with HSS in Troops footslogging might be in a decent spot going forwards.

Would love to have my 10 man volkite culverin squad trudging up the field blasting away as they go.

Hope to see you on the 14th Slips, I got some heavy flamers that want to meet your sword breathern.

Infyrana for you assault squad special weapons I would go with power axes, there are so many times I needed ap2 hits that I changed mine.

Edited by 1000 sons