[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

Out of idle curiosity how large are peoples DG forces?

I did want a Legion...! Now in terms of both collection, and army building more broadly, I'm look to diversify in terms of options so I can field a real range of lists. 

In terms of recent planning, I've got my hands on a Dreadnought Drop Pod, and I'm waiting on a Leviathan -  and then I'm simply a Dreadclaw away from my intended Orbital Assault Drop Pod list I've been planning. Once I've scoped the list out exactly, I'll share with everyone for feedback - as it's something out of the ordinary, input will be invaluable! 

Thereafter, I'm getting more squads ready for the Reaping, and will look to utilise Charlo's oft-suggested Vigilator strategy!

Edited by Chaeron

Drop pod deathguard list!! Def interested in seeing that.

I've probably mentioned, I was lucky enough to play against one (brother against brother!) at the last Throne of Skulls: definitely got me thinking that I'd like to try that! I think in terms of general tactica, it's so much more upfront and aggressive than I would normally play - and I think that in itself offers a variety of tactical challenges. That said, I've run with the idea and I'd ideally include Mortarion and the Leviathan in Pod, but I've got to play around with points and ideas. Building those three Dreadclaws is next on the list for starters, but hopefully - I'll have that ready for the Autumn. I'd definitely welcome any thoughts anyone has on that sort of strategy at this stage: I'm weighing up the number of Tacticals vs. Terminators in a list like that, to maximise both scoring and combat potential in what is an initially mobile list, but slows thereafter.

Edited by Chaeron

Sicaran punisher - thoughts?

Cool, but overly not too useful in the Heresy. Especially in a hotly contested Heavy Support Slot.

Deleting medium Infantry is not something the Legions really struggle with - ESPECIALLY Death Guard with Chem Flamers and Grave Wardens.

That's right LtDan, a real inspiration! Having never seen or played against a list like that, definitely gave me something to try.

My gaming group banned them after I used them once lol

Dodged that so far...

Drop pod list may lend itself to PotL or Primarchs Chosen perhaps? Have faced a WE version with red butchers in dreadclaws. Can be very effective. Can always pop in some deathstorms if you have some points over.

At the moment, having now made space in the list for the Leviathan and its pod, I can fit eight traditional scoring units in - and I can't remember if the Pods score, I think they can when dedicated transports, although I'm not sure if that applies for Troops and say things with Implacable Advance (or indeed, all Pods generally score/contest?). The major issue, bar the Leviathan, is that I've not put too much anti-tank in - and I'm thinking that it might be appropriate to drop 'something' - whether Terminators or a Tactical Squad, and kit out a few more things for combat? I think I'd struggle to fit in Deathstorms at 3k, and everything else I want to bring!

That's right LtDan, a real inspiration! Having never seen or played against a list like that, definitely gave me something to try.

My gaming group banned them after I used them once lol

Dodged that so far...

Drop pod list may lend itself to PotL or Primarchs Chosen perhaps? Have faced a WE version with red butchers in dreadclaws. Can be very effective. Can always pop in some deathstorms if you have some points over.

At the moment, having now made space in the list for the Leviathan and its pod, I can fit eight traditional scoring units in - and I can't remember if the Pods score, I think they can when dedicated transports, although I'm not sure if that applies for Troops and say things with Implacable Advance (or indeed, all Pods generally score/contest?). The major issue, bar the Leviathan, is that I've not put too much anti-tank in - and I'm thinking that it might be appropriate to drop 'something' - whether Terminators or a Tactical Squad, and kit out a few more things for combat? I think I'd struggle to fit in Deathstorms at 3k, and everything else I want to bring!

Transports don't Score in the Age of Darkness. Only Troop units and things with Implacable Advance and such.

Unless youre playing the mission where tanks score. In that case, if a transport is a tank, it would score.

Otherwise, if it doesnt score, it Denies which is just as good because if you land a pod on an objective, they have to destroy it to then be able to score the objective which means wasting time killing it.

Thanks all: I couldn't remember, and I think I had been confused perhaps by using 40k scenarios - does the same apply for those missions, just to clarify? Either way, adding that many denial units in addition to those that do score is more than I've ever had before I think!

I'd agree that close-up anti-tank is probably the way to go: I might look to shift things around to accommodate and see what we collectively think of the list.

Unless youre playing the mission where tanks score. In that case, if a transport is a tank, it would score.

Otherwise, if it doesnt score, it Denies which is just as good because if you land a pod on an objective, they have to destroy it to then be able to score the objective which means wasting time killing it.

Unless Attrition or stuff like that is a factor.

Damn.

There's so much stuff to keep in mind.

Way to bloated.

GW should scrap the rules and dump it down, so you don't have to think while playing.

Oh, wait... ;)

I am working on fitting my models in to a higher echelon formation and think i have a battalion as per the legion organisation in book 1.

Questions;

1) is this the right structure for the DG?

2) what would people think minimum suitable representation of a company is? 30 marines? 50 marines? More?

Thanks all!

I am working on fitting my models in to a higher echelon formation and think i have a battalion as per the legion organisation in book 1.

Questions;

1) is this the right structure for the DG?

2) what would people think minimum suitable representation of a company is? 30 marines? 50 marines? More?

Thanks all!

1) Nothing is said about battallions in the description of the Death Guard nur it totally makes sense.

2) I'd go for multiples of the number seven since that number is kind of a big deal in the xivth legion.

Thanks Gorgoff. Yeah 7s appear alot and 3s but my vets kinda throw it as they are 10man blobs... 35 perhaps then. Althought 49 does appeal. Another BoP may have to be purchased!

Terminators - 7 man

Tacticals - 14 man

Hvy spt - 7 man

Vets - 10 man ... bah humbug

Oooh good thinking, i can swing 7 without special kit. I like the thunder of massed bolters, its why i play death guard. (That and marksman makes them pretty dangerous)

I think this means i am coming in with this for my companies (2nd thru 4th);

14 tacticals

14 tacticals / breachers

7 hvy support

7 tac support

10 vets (7+3)

Giving me 49 (ish) in each as a representation. Tacticals will be equipped with extra close combat weapons as per the Primarchs tactical doctrine.

Will also have a 1st company of 49 terminators and a 5th company with destroyers and such...

Have settled on this for company B:

Chaplain + 2 Apothecary (Supernumaries)

10 vets

14 tactical

14 tactical

6 Tac Spt

5 Hvy Spt

Making up 49 plus supernumaries in 7 force org slots.

Edited by Arbarbalus