[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

Whilst I’ve used Destroyers before (and to good effect!), I think scoring is such a big bonus that the Assault Marines would be a better direct swap. I’m still hoping for a Moritat and Destroyer based Rite of War...

I’ve not tried Seekers personally, so would welcome thoughts on any builds!

• 5 months later...

Is it just me or would the Iron Warriors special rule be more fitting for Deathguard?

I mean all their fluff is around being remorseless uncaring for losses and their special rules don't reflect that at all. Iron Warriors on the other hand don't have to make leadership test for losses in the shooting phase and that is exactly what I would seem appropriate for THE remorseless legion.

Is it just me or would the Iron Warriors special rule be more fitting for Deathguard?

I mean all their fluff is around being remorseless uncaring for losses and their special rules don't reflect that at all. Iron Warriors on the other hand don't have to make leadership test for losses in the shooting phase and that is exactly what I would seem appropriate for THE remorseless legion.

There is a lot of crossover among the two legions in how they operate but I think the rules fit. Perturabo was totally & utterly driven by numbers as a way of conducting war. Not enough Legionnaires to crack a city? Fine, by his calculations you need another 1,000 so into the meat grinder they go. The Iron Warriors are motivated through fear and logic (see: Decimation).

Meanwhile the Death Guard are a little more... Spiritual. They can take more punishment and don't afraid of anyone. But they, (like their father) have seen the greatest horrors the universe has to offer and know that when their resolve is tested, that is not the time to apply more force - it is time to play to your strengths and win on your terms. Or break out the forbidden chemical weapons, whatever works!

It's force of will vs force of logic, if you see what I mean?

Okay so I've got a 2K Centurion event coming up and i'm aiming to finally get the Dreaded XIVth Legion on the table!

....But I need help with a list :biggrin.:

I'm open to anything, but for those who don't know the Centurion restrictions are:

• No named characters
  • Infantry, Walkers, and Speeders should be the focus of your army
  • Primarchs; Fliers; Drop Pods; Artillery; vehicles with the Tank type;
    Superheavies are NOT permitted
  • Units of Bikes, Attack Bikes and Jet Bikes are a 0-2 choice
    (this is total, not per unit type)
  • Units of Monstrous Creatures and Leviathan Siege
    Dreadnoughts are 0-1 choices

In terms of collection I have...

• Terminator Character (Combi-Melta & Thunder Hammer)
  • 5 Deathshroud
  • 5 Grave Wardens (2 Chain-fists)
  • 20 Tacticals/ Veterans
  • 5 Missile Launchers
  • Leviathan Dread with Grav Flux Bombar & Drill
  • 2 Contemptors
  • 6 Cataphractii
  • 5 Tartaros
  • Then a good chunk of marines and bitz I could convert into anything (unit/s characters etc)

With the restrictions in mind... What would people recommend?

I'm toying with some ideas of using Creeping Death/ The Reaping and some Vigilators to either outflank or provide a 3+ cover save - but i'm not sure if the RoW is worth it compared to just taking three consuls who can bring different abilities to bear, as opposed to spending 10% of my points on a Preator or a Delegatus.

In terms of what you have, and the Centurion theme, to me - it seems like the Reaping is likely to be the way to go... unless you wanted to run with something akin to Pride given your number of Terminators (and offering you some more versatility along the lines of Deep Strike). However, if you've not got tonnes of Heavy Weapons (or Artillery...) - something like the Reaping would still fit even with the above. I'd go with something like typical Praetor accompanied by your Deathshroud, Tacs to fulfil basic requirements, and build around this core: I'd love to get the Leviathan and both Contemptors in, but I feel you might have to plump for one or the other. I'd then be tempted to fill up with standard Terminators (starting with your Catas) for purposes of survivability as well as scoring. I'd probably also dispense with other HQ choices at this level. You could basically run with what you've listed and it probably wouldn't be too far out!

Be good to see what you can really fit in and adjust from there out!

Okay so first draft... Nowhere near perfect but it's getting there...

This is ~2000 with the Preator, give or take some upgrades or just over 1900 with the Delegatus - leaving me with some points to play with (probably some extra Deathshroud in the bodyguard or more missiles etc).

Currently no RoW selected, but it could go either of the DG specific ones - however i'd probably look to more infantry if I go Creeping Death to maximise the 5+ cover. If I go Preator i'd need to juggle points to allow Rad Grenades etc in The Reaping, and the HSS would move to troops and be scoring.

Game plan is the Vigilator goes with one of the Terminator squads to outflank or scout. One Tac blob moves up (Scythe), other one stays back - both with medics. Dreads all focus an area of the battlefield and bully objectives. Missiles try to cap enemy walkers.

EDIT: Due to the new rules, I could also take a Herald instead of the Delegatus/ Preator. Which would be pretty gnarly. Very nice combat buffs to his bodyguard and fearless...

Preator

-Tartaros, Iron Halo, Thunder Hammer, Combi-Melta, Digilasers, Grenade Harness

OR

Delegatus (saves 80pts to play with)

-Tartaros, Thunder Hammer, Combi-Melta

Vigilator

-No upgrades

Tactical Squad

-14 Guys, Extra CCW, Vexilla

-Sgt, Artificer, Power Scythe

Tactical Squad

-14 Guys, Vexilla

-Sgt, Artificer

4 Deathshroud Terminators

2 Apothecary

-Augury Scanners

Legion Dreadnought

-Inferno Cannon, Extra Armour

Contemptor Cortus

-Chainfist, DCCW, 2x Grav Gun

Heavy Support Squad

-4 Missile Launchers

-Sgt, Artificer, Missile Launcher

Grave Wardens

-4 guys, 2 Chainfists

-Sgt, no upgrades

Leviathan Siege Dread

-Drill, Grav Flux Bombard, 2x Heavy Flamers, Phosphex Launcher, Extra Armour

Edited by Charlo

Okay, with the Herald (Tartaros armour, Thunder Hammer & an awesome conversion in mind :wink:) I'm left with 65 points...

I could take The Reaping and a few sets of Rad 'Nades but I think I'll need some more units to take advantage of that. While awesome, I'm considering dropping the legion dread with Inferno Cannon for Heavy Flamers/ More Missiles/ Vets or something. Could also add the ever important melta bombs to the Death Shroud. Though its much easier and quicker to paint a single dread than a new unit of guys....!

How would you guys spend around 200pts in this list to round it off in Centurion, if the Dread wasn't there?

Edited by Charlo

I’d probably either add a third Apothecary and bulk out the heavy support squad, or add some attack bikes. Maybe a combination of both. The Reaping gives them Move Through Cover, and they can take meltabombs, too!

I think the Deathshroud would usefully benefit from Meltabombs - means you could throw them and the Herald at Dreads and feel relatively confident they'll do okay! Otherwise, I'd also be bulking the Heavy Support Squad with any remaining points. Looks like a fun list to play with Charlo - let us know how you get on!

Okay so I'm almost there now...

I've definitely settled on the Herald, as a conversion I was planning worked out really well! I've ditched the Legion Dread for now... I think he was just one unit too many to make this work and I was sacrificing the abilities of the rest of the list for him.

I've also decided to run the *guitar solo* CREEPING DEATH Rite of War because:

- It's Fluffy

- You don't see it often

- Nice synergy with the Centurion format/ Missile Launchers/ Vigilator

Changes:

- Herald instead of Delegatus/ Preator. Let's me use a RoW and adds some decent buffs to the Deathshroud

- 3rd Apothecary for the Missile Squad

- Legion Dread removed to free up points

- 2 extra Missile Launchers in the Heavy Squad

- Naked Siege Breaker added to unlock the CREEPING DEATH RoW

- Melta Bombs on the Deathshroud

Herald

-Tartaros, Power Axe, Combi-Melta

-Warlord, Rite of War: CREEPING DEATH

Vigilator

-No upgrades

Siege Breaker

-No upgrades

Tactical Squad

-14 Guys, Extra CCW, Vexilla

-Sgt, Artificer, Power Scythe

Tactical Squad

-14 Guys, Vexilla

-Sgt, Artificer

4 Deathshroud Terminators

-Melta Bombs

3 Apothecary

(trying to squeeze the points for Auguary scanners... Suggestions?)

Contemptor Cortus

-Chainfist, DCCW, 2x Grav Gun

Heavy Support Squad

-6 Missile Launchers

-Sgt, Artificer, Missile Launcher

Grave Wardens

-4 guys, 2 Chainfists

-Sgt, no upgrades

Leviathan Siege Dread

-Drill, Grav Flux Bombard, 2x Heavy Flamers, Phosphex Launcher, Extra Armour

Considerations:

- Remove the extra CCW from the first Tactical squad to add in the Auguary scanners. Without Rad Grenades not sure how worth it they are? Though it lets me be more aggressive.

Edited by Charlo

I like the thought of having the option to be more aggressive - I think LtDan's suggestion is probably the only way to get those points to play with, as you're relatively light on other upgrades!

I'm guessing, Siege Breaker with Missile Squad, Herald with Deathshroud (although without Terminator Armour?) - and Vigilator with Combat Tac Squad? Or what were you thinking Charlo?

Haha it's all about the numerations! All these squares make a circle! It's two less marines to paint so I'll probably do that...

And yep, you're right - Siege Breaker with the Missiles for Tank Hunter, Herald with the Deathshroud for Fearless (he has Tartaros armour!) but the Vigilator will probably serve a few roles:

• With the missiles to give them a 3+ cover save in the open/ scout them forward post deployment to nail an armored target
  • With the CC focused Tac squad or Grave Wardens to scout forward onto an objective
  • With the Herald & Deathshroud to Scout/ Outflank them and grant the 3+ cover on their march forward, then retreat back into another squad

He'll be serving the second purpose most of the time I imagine, to keep them safe from any random Plasma etc

Instead of having a 6" Scout Move I'd drop the Vigilator and take a Bastion or Bunker. Both are great for HSS.

Can't take a fortification with Creeping Death & the Vigilator is very much part of the "theme" in this case, so I don't really want to drop him either!

• 2 weeks later...