[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

So the new nullificators sound right up our street. Toxin flamers on Everyman!!! And we don't like psykers. So works for us.

Veerrry much so, plus another terminator unit to abuse for us!! And with the right consul in troops no less!

So just finalising my list for the event on Saturday...

I've decided to drop the Leviathan because 1) I wasn't going to get it built in time & 2) it felt a bit boring and too much of a points sink in 2k Centurion...

Instead i've opted for some fun options:
Legion Dreadnought (Box 'Nought)
-Chemical Flamestorm Cannon, Dread CCW, Combi-bolter, 2 Hunter Killer Missiles, Extra Armour

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought
-Twin Kheres Assault Cannon

These guys will pretty much just advance with the terminators and lay down cover fire/ get involved where need be. If I manage to fire the Chemical Flamestorm i'll probably cry with happiness.

My only wonder now is if I forego the extra CCWs on one of the tactical squads... The extra 28pts will let me fit in a few upgrades here and there, but it might not be necessary... OR maybe even drop an apothecary to fit in a 5th Deathshroud...

Rest of the list is as follows:

Herald
-Tartaros, Power Axe, Combi-Melta
-Warlord, Rite of War: CREEPING DEATH

Vigilator
-No upgrades

Siege Breaker
-No upgrades

Tactical Squad
-14 Guys, Extra CCW, Vexilla
-Sgt, Artificer, Power Scythe

Tactical Squad
-14 Guys, Vexilla
-Sgt, Artificer

4 Deathshroud Terminators
-Melta Bombs

3 Apothecary

Contemptor Cortus
-Chainfist, DCCW, 2x Grav Gun

Heavy Support Squad
-6 Missile Launchers
-Sgt, Artificer, Missile Launcher, Aguary Scanner

Grave Wardens
-4 guys, 2 Chainfists
-Sgt, no upgrades

My only thought would be, if you're dropping the CCWs, I'd also dispense with the scythe - and not use them for anything combat orientated (specifically). I actually think swapping an Apothecary for another Deathshroud would be good - probably more likely to do damage, as well as ablative wounds... It's a good switch!

I also think that you probably won't regret the Leviathan swap - as useful and cool as it is, it's basically just a fire magnet, and with this being replaced - you'd get an extra gun/combat platform!

My only thought would be, if you're dropping the CCWs, I'd also dispense with the scythe - and not use them for anything combat orientated (specifically). I actually think swapping an Apothecary for another Deathshroud would be good - probably more likely to do damage, as well as ablative wounds... It's a good switch!

I also think that you probably won't regret the Leviathan swap - as useful and cool as it is, it's basically just a fire magnet, and with this being replaced - you'd get an extra gun/combat platform!

Aye, tbh I probably need the combat weapons to give them a role, add bulk to the advancing forces/ cap forward objectives. The scythe is modelled already so may as well use it!

Id I swapped out a medic for a Deathshroud, which squad loses it's FNP... The backfield one I guess?

Aye, tbh I probably need the combat weapons to give them a role, add bulk to the advancing forces/ cap forward objectives. The scythe is modelled already so may as well use it!

Id I swapped out a medic for a Deathshroud, which squad loses it's FNP... The backfield one I guess?

Yeah, it'd be a shame not to - and I think it means you have more flexibility with the potential for it being geared up in that way!

I'd be tempted to do that, or probably favour dropping the one with the HSS - I'd want that as far away and as covered as possible anyway, and I think you'd probably rather the other Tactical squad survived longer in terms of general objective based retention. You could be flexible of course!

Thought about a warmonger instead of the vigilator? Deep strike the wardens?

Very much so, and if I had time to make and Paint a new model I certainly would!

But I like the vigilator and the theme he presents (plus the model is built now!)

For the final list I took artificer from a couple of the sergeants (it's gamey anyway) so I could afford extra armour on all of the dreaded as well as a Meltabomb and a single shot of Phosphex on the siege breaker, for any bright sparks that want to get close to my big guns ;)

The FUN option!

Wow so, three losses! I'll do a proper write up in a while on my WIP thread but I have learned:

-Raven Guard are Savage in Centurion

-Hardened Armour counters my list (Stone Gauntlet!)

-Artificer on sergeants can do a fat one! Or I need more AP2...

-Dreads are overcosted unless you bring Shooty ones

Edited by Charlo

Hey guys, 

I am looking at starting a Death Guard army in the next few months and am planning out some lists. 

Any tips on getting the most out of Mortarion? do you tend to start him with a unit (in a spartan?) and have him shadow walk off to do his own thing later on?

I also like the thought of a warmonger with a unit of grave wardens/deathshroud, have any of you tried this out yet?

The warmonger is on my list to do. Can't in reaping tho. Deepstriking in with wardens sounds fun..

As for Morty. I don't usually bother... But the shadow walk is two good for him to be slowed down. He is best against mech

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Y'all sleepin' !

Okay my dudes, I'm going to invest in some Cataphractii.

Now, these can be any Terminator unit that is currently allowed to be Cata armour (except Warden's as I have enough); what are some good choices?!

• 3 weeks later...

Still sleeping :lol:

I have a bundle of standard Cataphractii with a tonne of weapon options - but I honestly don't think i'd use them regularly (and barely have over the years) simply because of the benefits Deathshroud provide on a cost/wound ratio that makes them a better choice in my eyes. So, unless you're modelling them as Deathshroud...

However, I love the aesthetic - so rule of cool definitely applies, and the Plasma weaponry looks boss, as well as the selection of Power Fist options - so those would be my choices if I were to use them I think!

Y'all sleepin' !

Okay my dudes, I'm going to invest in some Cataphractii.

Now, these can be any Terminator unit that is currently allowed to be Cata armour (except Warden's as I have enough); what are some good choices?!

Five men with combi-melta in a Dreadclaw.

All with power axes and one chainfist on the sergeant.

• 2 months later...

Okay so i'm thinking Orbital Assault for my next run at a frontline game...

I have 2700pts to play with (need to save 50ish for a Campaign Relic)

I have 7 Drop pods available and i'm not against buying a Dreadclaw, though I'd prefer not to....

So, how would you guys make it work?!

I've spent a good amount of time building towards an Orbital Assault list, however - I haven't actually thrown it on the table yet, so I can't profess to have a tried and tested list! That said, what I've built towards involves a Kharybdis, Dreadclaws, and standard Drop Pods - and whilst standard Pods are likely to be fine - I think the key concern is volume. If you can't get enough viable, threatening targets down, the issue then becomes their relative survivability (working on the basis you'll be dropping just over half, and then hoping they survive).

I think it's what you'll have in the Pods that makes or breaks it - and whether they can do what you want (noting limitations) before they are shot off the board. Were you thinking about supporting them with Terminators or similar Charlo? I'd probably look to fill up a couple of pods with generic Tacticals, and then start to flesh out with scarier prospects - and if you could have say a Leviathan in a Dread Pod (or multiples!), that might also be a great distraction.

• 1 month later...

This is what I came up with (based on models I have too):

7 pods and two large units of Terminators to deep strike down. Some unorthodox stuff but excited to try it.

A note: my herald has a custom banner that grants rending to template weapons within 6" so that helps the Deathshroud do extra damage on the drop.

First four pods will probably be:

Deathstorm

1 Tactical

Leviathan

Rapier

Then turn two the Nuncio voxes mean accurate drops for the terminators and the rest of the force.

Dropping missiles and a rapier is different but might be fun? Thoughts?

I could reduce the Terminators to get more pods but I think they need to be in large numbers to be effective.

+ HQ +

Herald:

Consul: Chainfist, Combi-weapon

Tartaros Pattern Terminator Armour: Terminator Armour

Master of Signal: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot

Siege Breaker: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Phosphex Bomb

+ Elites +

Deathshroud Terminator Squad: 8x Deathshroud Terminators, Melta Bombs

Quad Launcher Support Battery, Legion: Phosphex Canister Shot, Rapier, Legion Drop Pod, Legion

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

Additional Wargear: Nuncio-vox, Vexilla, Legion

Drop Pod, Legion

Categories: Drop Pod, Dedicated Transport, Transport, Vehicle

Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

Additional Wargear: Nuncio-vox, Vexilla, Legion

Drop Pod, Legion

Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Meltagun: Meltagun, 6x Space Marines,

Legion Drop Pod

Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Meltagun

+ Fast Attack +

Deathstorm Drop Pod

+ Heavy Support +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad: 4x Chainfist, 9x Grave Warden Terminator

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher: 7x Missile Launcher

Drop Pod, Legion

Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon: Dreadnought Drop Pod, Legion

Chem-munitions, Grav-flux Bombard, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Phosphex Discharger

Leviathan Siege Drill

Found a bit of free time and started once again to build my Veterans (could count as Seekers too).  I'm having a hard time if I should just make them pure shooty, add melee to the sergeants, or add a few melee weapons here and there.  Ideally I'm trying to build two 10-man units, one set of Tank Hunters with meltaguns and combi meltas, and another unit of plasma.

I've been magnetising all the ranged weaponry at the wrists across 20x marines (2x plasma gun, 2x meltagun, 5x combi-plasma, 5x combi-melta, bolters), but have left a few including the sergeant without arms for potential melee options.  I'd ideally like to put the Scythes on the Sergeants (have them and really want to add the flavour to the vet squads), but not sure if that's the best option or if I should add some swords or flamer in there - any thoughts most helpful please?

Also, funny thing, I can't find the book / FAQ where you can give any Vet a combi-weapon, or am I just missing something?

Lastly, are Recon squads worth any weight?  I had been tempted to try and model up some MkVI in DG colours as Recon Armoured marines sporting Sniper Rifles (modeled using the Deathwatch Stalker Pattern Boltguns, which I think would look cooler on MkIII marines, but then I couldn't really blag Recon Armour).