Metallic/Anodized effect on base armour colour ?

Hey people !

So, first let me thank you a lot for the tips in this thread. I've been mostly secretly stalking there gathering information on how to better pain and you guys' advices are awesome smile.png

Now, on to the real meat ! I am a very untalented painter, but I am recently starting an Alpha Legion Warband to which I would love to give a Pre Heresy colour scheme, much like this one :

abae4de88245592e4acc04ece1c5bfe0.jpg

Please forget the Brass colour on the helmet and backpacjk. The idea is to have a shiny/metallic/anodized blue colour on the Ceramite plating which I am very fond of smile.png

However, my first tests mixing Boltgun Metal and a standard base colour proved very disappointed (did I tell you I was a bad painter ? tongue.png ), so I'd love to get your tricks on how to pull such an effect off smile.png

The idea was to have that metallic blue, then highlight it with a few green colours to give it that iridescent tone. So far I'm quite happy with 2 highlight layers of different colours, but the base metallic blue gives me headaches :/

______

Cheers in advance ! I will name models after the people who helped me out, with any name they want as long as it's Alpharius biggrin.png

The key (and one I only learned recently) is base coat with a metallic (in your case Boltgun Metal) then apply a few wash/glaze coats (say Drakenhof Nightshade or Guilliman Blue). Gives a rich color while allowing the metal to show through. It's a technique I've been using on my recent 30K Salamanders.

gallery_80588_10505_136861.jpg

Man, thanks, this is an ingenious technique smile.png ! Definitely going to try it :)

The effect I'm wanting to achieve is what your model's cermaite legs look like, obviously in bluer liveries.

Out of curiosity, how many layers of glaze did you use for that color ?

If anyone has alternative techniques, I'm listening ! I'm very much like a Thousand Sons Sorcere when it comes to the pursuit of knowledge biggrin.png

Cheers

Thanks so much guys, so the common denominators between your two techniques is a basecoat of Boltgun/Leadbelcher (I can't get by their new naming conventions :p ), then tinting it with the appropriate colours either through drybrush or glazes, interesting !

Two models in my future army have just been named Alpharius in your honour :D

The effect I'm wanting to achieve is what your model's cermaite legs look like, obviously in bluer liveries.

Out of curiosity, how many layers of glaze did you use for that color ?

If memory serves, I did 3-4 thin-medium layers of Biel-Tan Green shade on him. Same for the Firedrake Master, but the rest of the 5-man squad was 1 very heavy wash (so it was pooled on the surface), but applied to one facing at a time (apply to front - let it dry; apply to side - etc.).

Also (it goes without saying, but say it I will) the metal you base with affects the final tones of the color. The Primus Medicae shown was based with a cheap, very 'white' silver. The Firedrake Master was done in either Model Master Brass or Vallejo Gold, and the rest of the 'Drakes were based coated Vallejo Old Gold (the wash on those last three was the remains of a pot of Biel-Tan Green with some Createx Airbrush Transparent Yellow added for a richer green color). Each group has a different green shade to them, but retains a consistent style.

If the weather report for today holds, I'll be able to get some good pics of them all for posting.

I have a few methods in mind:

1. Mix your lighter color with Vallejo metallic medium and drybrush it on. Then apply a thin shade with your darker color to the model. the higher parts of the model should (in my head) show through and give you the effect you want.

2. Vallejo Pearl Medium mixed with your base color can work also, imo.

3. This tutorial here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/155396-viva-metallica/

You could also use Interference Paints (EDT used some in his WIP Thread) http://www.liquitex.com/US/shop/paints/specialties/interference-colors/36099/ 

You could paint this over a matte, non-metallic basecoat to get a reflective surface in the colour you want. Ie: Matte Blue Base with Green interference over it.

Just saw this- as Slipstreams mentions, you might find my post here on interference paints helpful. Here's an animated .gif showing the effect on an Alpha Legionaire.

Interference-4.gif

I'm going to be experimenting with an iridescent medium shortly too- this may also be something worth investigating. Video here if so...

Just saw this- as Slipstreams mentions, you might find my post here on interference paints helpful. Here's an animated .gif showing the effect on an Alpha Legionaire.

Interference-4.gif

I'm going to be experimenting with an iridescent medium shortly too- this may also be something worth investigating. Video here if so...

I love that ghetto hand-as-a-turntable.

Hey guys, just a quick up, I followed the Viva Metallica and Carlson's tutorials with a twist due to availability of paint at the local GW shop. I can't take a picture now due to poor lighting but I will !

I wanted to thank you, the result looks awesome on the test mini smile.png What I did was :

- Basecoat Black

- Leadbelcher Spray

- Light/Medium wash of Drakenhof (starting with the glaze would not stick well on the leadblehcer spray)

- Thin coat of Guilliman Blue Glaze

Very quick to paint and the result is fantastic ! biggrin.png The mini offers a different tone based on light and the glaze gives depth to the undercoats, it's absoutely fantastic ^^ Once I'm at the final touch stage, I'll try a highlight with a Green glaze to try and give that iridescent look of the Alpha Legion, but that might not come before a while :p

Alpha Test

So, as promised, here's what the test model looks like ! Obviously the lighting sucks a bit, but when properly lit up, you can clearly see the metallic effect showing through :)

Thanks for the tips brothers !

You could try and do bit of drybrushing with silver as a step between the Leadbelcher spray and the washes, that would give you a more interesting finish.

I could try that indeed, I was actually planning to drybrush the metallic parts with silver once the cleanup was done, but I guess this wouldn't hurt either ^^

I'll try to take a better picture or a vid but it does look metallic indded :)

That looks great GreyCrow! I am curious, does anyone know what other colors this works with other than blue?

To be honest, I would say any combination of wash/glaze of a similar colour :) Perhaps some interesting effects can be made with combinations of different colours !

Archived