Imperial Knight Painter?

Jolemai

I'm trying to work on the colour scheme for my Knightly house, but I'm having trouble envisioning it. I know that Space Marines and Battle Sisters have a painter, but is there one for an Imperial Knight anywhere? If there's more than one suitable option, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

There is no painter that I've found, I doubt there ever will be one too... All I've seen are recolours of images people have done which is good enough assuming you don't want anything too complicated and have a degree of technical skill (and associated program).

Not a bad idea as they're sort of similar - just depends how good your imagination is :tongue.: What sort of colour schemes are you thinking of?

Whilst I have no idea for certain if this is mine, the picture below is a crest that shares my family name.

gallery_62972_10721_42781.jpg

So far, I have one Imperial Knight Paladin. He is a freeblade but displays the shield above on his Ion Shield as his only link to his homeland. When the time comes that I get more Imperial Knights (and Imperial Navy: I love Marauders), I want them to use this scheme as their house colour/heraldry.

tl;dr - I want to see how Goblin Green and yellow/brown look on a larger scale.

I already had my color scheme set when the Knights were released, but I did try out a few combinations with PhotoShop.  There are a few decent black-and-white sketches that you can modify to become a "Knight Painter" of sorts.  Here is one of the original design sketches, and this one by FSCP-Crossburn on DeviantArt is particularly well-suited.  You'll have to do some editing to clean them up, but it's a good start.

Eventually, I'll get around to editing one of the illustrations from the Codex.  It's very far down my to-do list, though.

If you'd like i'm a dab hand in Photoshop and could give one of the above images or an different one of a model a quick digital paint over if you'd like when I get some time.

I'd just need to know where you want the basic colours and what shades to use etc :happy.: Examples help!

If you need some convincing I started the Skitarii Colourschemes thread with some of my re-colours on the art and a mini :)

Try it with the green being the main colour and the yellow on the trim. Regular metallic look on the machinery.

Green and yellow, you say?  While Charlo's working on the mock-up, you can also use my Knights as an example.  Mine are green and gold, with grey and yellow/black hazard stripes as accents.  Not a perfect match, but might give you an idea of what the colors look like on the model.

Try it with the green being the main colour and the yellow on the trim. Regular metallic look on the machinery.

Green and yellow, you say? While Charlo's working on the mock-up, you can also use my Knights as an example. Mine are green and gold, with grey and yellow/black hazard stripes as accents. Not a perfect match, but might give you an idea of what the colors look like on the model.

Thanks for the link. My main concern is that the green will look too flat on such a large surface; throne, it looks too flat on my Freeblade's Ion Shield 0.o

Freeblade WIP with the beginnings of the crest markings:

med_gallery_62972_9848_432462.jpg

Have you any advice on doing chevrons on a large, curved surface?

Edited by Jolemai

I've found that the trick to large surfaces of a single color is to use an ink wash as your final step.  Nuln Oil leaves my Knights looking a bit oily/grungy, which works for me - no war engine comes out of a long campaign looking fresh from the showroom floor.  If you want yours to be a bit cleaner, you can use a dark green wash to achieve a similar, but more subtle effect.  The ink will pool or streak in areas based on how you apply it, which will give it a shadowed or textured appearance.

As for chevrons/hazard stripes, I'd recommend using painter's tape and an airbrush if possible.  I'm useless with such things, so I freehand them.  For example, the top carapace:  I give the entire surface several coats of yellow as a base.  I then paint a black dashed line along the midpoint of the model, followed by the outline of the stripes from the dashes to the shoulders.  I fill in the stripes with several coats of black, and then go back with unwatered yellow to clean up.  Again, I find that a heavy wash in Nuln Oil removes any appearance of "flatness" while also hiding many of my mistakes.

Here's what turned out to be a WIP shot of the third Knight I painted.  You can see the effect of the wash on the left pauldron, groin and shin armor.  As I said, this is with Nuln Oil (black) and a dark green would be less "dirty" and more "shadowed".  It just depends on what effect you're looking for.

http://i.imgur.com/DTJVNr0l.jpg

Not a bad idea as they're sort of similar - just depends how good your imagination is :tongue.: What sort of colour schemes are you thinking of?

Whilst I have no idea for certain if this is mine, the picture below is a crest that shares my family name.

gallery_62972_10721_42781.jpg

So far, I have one Imperial Knight Paladin. He is a freeblade but displays the shield above on his Ion Shield as his only link to his homeland. When the time comes that I get more Imperial Knights (and Imperial Navy: I love Marauders), I want them to use this scheme as their house colour/heraldry.

tl;dr - I want to see how Goblin Green and yellow/brown look on a larger scale.

I had the same thought with my Queen Bee as well. I was going to do just as you're talking about, with her family crest on the shield. Eventually I did something different, but I still think it's a good idea. I also have plans to, perhaps eventually, add more knights from my actual house, in a much cleaner style and in more traditional Imperial-aligned heraldry.

Here's what turned out to be a WIP shot of the third Knight I painted. You can see the effect of the wash on the left pauldron, groin and shin armor. As I said, this is with Nuln Oil (black) and a dark green would be less "dirty" and more "shadowed". It just depends on what effect you're looking for.

http://i.imgur.com/DTJVNr0l.jpg

I still love the look of your Knight house all together. Those battle cannons make them look like pugilists of the first order, and the conversions (like this ad-mech style claw) really bring them to another level. They look great all together with their cool little number plates.

That's awesome work, Charlo!

And thanks, Jeff - there will be more to see once I chew through a few more Skitarii for my upcoming campaign. Plus the rumored Knight Warden and Knight Crusader variants, and ETL 2015 just around the corner...

Shouting out! :D As I'll never get any of these models, let along paint them, I have only my imagination of how they would look.

I have an idea that my Knight Houses will use colors derived from this tartar scheme:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/MacLeod_tartan_%28Logan_%26_Smibert%29.png/480px-MacLeod_tartan_%28Logan_%26_Smibert%29.png

Which is more specifically given as having "a color pallet of black 101010, freedom red C80000, golden poppy E8C000, green 006818, and denim blue 1474B4." To be clear, I just mean the colors pulled from the tartan, not the actual pattern.

The House sigil is a small, red five-pointed star surrounded by three equal-sized circles filled in with light blue arranged in a triangular pattern around the red star.

There are a little over half a dozen Houses on this world that all use that sigil and some variation of that tartar scheme, the lore behind it that they all used to be of a singular House and refuse to distance themselves further from this legendary proto-House. Basically, imagine if the Imperial Fists Legion broke up into Chapters, but there was no Imperial Fists Chapter and all of the Successors wanted to use the yellow armor and fist icon.

Which basically means that if you do an image for me, I can use it somehow. There's no chance of me not liking it or it not fitting my vision.

It also means if you are kind and awesome enough to make a few different variations, I can use all of them.

Any help given would be appreciated, if any is given.

Edited by Conn Eremon

while i no longer have the spare time i used to in order to do this kind of stuff anymore, here's some lineart pics you can use to mock up some schemes in a photoshop program of your choice:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/055/5/f/imperial_knight_by_fscp_crossburn-d77trkv.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IkQiUbgJ58M/VRhHrEPyrzI/AAAAAAAAIQc/5uuPRVzTZd8/s1600/Colouring%2Bin%2Bknight.jpg