Reverse engineering scratchbuilds

A random google search led me to a French 40k forum where some fellow had put together some of the most amazing Iron Hands I have ever ever seen.

He alludes to a website with tutorials, but google translate wasnt working real well, and I wasnt able to navigate around the site much.

I would give a great great deal to be able to run these fellows with my army, but the detail on some of these pieces is incredibly intimidating. Like the back of the powerfist on the terminator - are those little piston-tendons one piece of plastic rod carved down? How do you get the chestplate to bend so smoothly? How do you get your drill holes so precise?

I'm quite a novice when it comes to scratchbuilds, but these pieces have my imagination absolutely on fire. Any advice is very welcome.

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/180248dreadnoughtironhands.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/190996dreadnoughtironhandsh01.jpg
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/176000cyborg01conversion.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/149995cyborgironhands01h.jpg

Suggestions? You're gonna' hate this, but... buy a box of #11 Razor blades, a selection of Sheet styrene, a selection of Rod styrene, some extra thin solvent glue, a few other tools, and get cutting. $100 spent on some basic supplies will easily get you well started if you keep your first projects a reasonable size; the dreadnaught is a perfect in that respect, being large enough to need large parts, but small enough not to use tons of plastic.

There really is no short and to-the-point explanation for scratch building, you just have to be willing to give it a go, and do lots (seriously, lots and lots) of research and reading. Look to military model builders and hobby train builders for some of the best sources for scratch building articles; different subject matter, but the exact same techniques. Again, if you want to do this you will need to read and/or just try building it. In the beginning you will make many many mistakes and sub-par parts before you get the piece you want. As your skills and confidence build you will avoid pitfalls of past failures learning experiences, and the ratio will improve.

If you have the skills, make your building templates in some form of digital format (CAD or vector graphics, for example) and use them to test fit your parts before committing to plastic. Not everything can benefit from this, but there are many times when having a re-printable pattern to use is invaluable.

Note: That sensation of your imagination burning is what I call the whispers from the warp. They haunt my every waking moment compelling me to create and build. Some see them as benevolent and others perceive them as malevolent. It matters little, but it is up to you if you'll listen to them. Should you choose to listen, some of the tasks they will drive you to will be tedious, but the rewards are worth it, in my humble opinion.

Start small in your approach and build up your skills and confidence.

Break the model down into sub assembles

ie cog teeth on a shoulder pad or add a few rivets

Make a storm hammer etc

Little projects like these will build on your skills and give you an understanding of the materials you use.

Challenge yourself and if something doesn't work first time try again.

For me it's not always the finished that gives me the most enjoyment it's the process of making.

As for where to learn skills I think Subtle discord is been most humble. I would have a good look at his work he has some great advise an hints but as he says above its advise, there are so many ways to approach scratch building.

It's about experimenting for yourself and the enjoyment of knowing nobody has a model just like yours.

Suggestions? You're gonna' hate this, but... buy a box of #11 Razor blades, a selection of Sheet styrene, a selection of Rod styrene, some extra thin solvent glue, a few other tools, and get cutting. $100 spent on some basic supplies will easily get you well started if you keep your first projects a reasonable size; the dreadnaught is a perfect in that respect, being large enough to need large parts, but small enough not to use tons of plastic.

There really is no short and to-the-point explanation for scratch building, you just have to be willing to give it a go, and do lots (seriously, lots and lots) of research and reading. Look to military model builders and hobby train builders for some of the best sources for scratch building articles; different subject matter, but the exact same techniques. Again, if you want to do this you will need to read and/or just try building it. In the beginning you will make many many mistakes and sub-par parts before you get the piece you want. As your skills and confidence build you will avoid pitfalls of past failures learning experiences, and the ratio will improve.

If you have the skills, make your building templates in some form of digital format (CAD or vector graphics, for example) and use them to test fit your parts before committing to plastic. Not everything can benefit from this, but there are many times when having a re-printable pattern to use is invaluable.

Note: That sensation of your imagination burning is what I call the whispers from the warp. They haunt my every waking moment compelling me to create and build. Some see them as benevolent and others perceive them as malevolent. It matters little, but it is up to you if you'll listen to them. Should you choose to listen, some of the tasks they will drive you to will be tedious, but the rewards are worth it, in my humble opinion.

Best advice ever, and from the Plasicard King himself, no less.

In addition to the excellent advice already given.

Don't be afraid to start again. If something isn't feeling right or just not working go back a few steps and start that part again. You will be much happier and your results will improve.

Do keep listening to that imagination. What your hands create from it in the beginning can seem a little disappointing compared to the vision in your mind. Practice practice practice and you will get there.

Break everything down into the most basic shapes and parts. Experience doing it with everything not just models. Complex things are just a collection of simple ones. Drawing can be great at getting your mind to think like that.

Can't get better advice than practice, practice, practice.

However: if you're lucky enough to have a model or craft shop nearby then you should take a trip and see what's available. A good hobby shop (railways are best) should have a variety of stuff; plastic or brass rod and tubes, sheet styrene (or plasticard) of various thickness and texture, glues, knives and other tools. Having a look at what's there can give you inspiration as to the projects you can achieve.

I'll second the advice about good hobby and railroad shops.  I don't do a lot of scratchbuilding but I have done some in the past.  It helps to know what is available - there are a lot of unusual shapes and patterns of plastic rod and sheet, as well as pre-made stuff like rivets and bolts.

Don't be afraid to use unconventional items if they will get you the results you want!  I recall in the very early days of GW, there weren't kits for most of the things in the game - but there were plenty of amazing scratchbuilds that used things like shields or bases for hatches and the like.  We now have access to so much more, but that pioneering spirit is still there.

I can read/speak French so if you link me to the website I could translate stuff for you and maybe even find the link to the website he mentions :p

This was the forum I found these guys on http://www.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=195646

I did manage to find his website, here http://jeanmichel.nourry.free.fr/web_40k/

And it's got a link to Tutorials, but it doesnt seem to go anywhere.

Yeah, sadly all the Links are to other French sites; translating a full tut could take a while :p

I'll second the advice about good hobby and railroad shops.  I don't do a lot of scratchbuilding but I have done some in the past.  It helps to know what is available - there are a lot of unusual shapes and patterns of plastic rod and sheet, as well as pre-made stuff like rivets and bolts.

Don't be afraid to use unconventional items if they will get you the results you want!  I recall in the very early days of GW, there weren't kits for most of the things in the game - but there were plenty of amazing scratchbuilds that used things like shields or bases for hatches and the like.  We now have access to so much more, but that pioneering spirit is still there.

+1

We all remember the Aerosol Can Landspeeder!

A spoon.  A deodorant stick.  The turret from a Zoid (I used to have oneof those in my bits box).  Voila! A grav tank.

I remember scratchbuilding a Spartan out of a MkI Land Raider using templates in an old WD (and a spare Rhino back hatch) back in the late '80s.

Archived