Expedition 17 on the map....

On the Skitarii map we have a series of expeditions. The key goes up to 16.... but the map includes an Expedition 17!
From the Forgeworld of Zhao-Arkkad heading off into the edge of the Galactic south.

Sure it might have been an error on GW's part perhaps. But has anyone heard of anything this could be a reference to in any of the novels or other background and lore?

Would anyone care to speculate as to what it may have been and why the records may have been left off the map? ;)

I also notice the Lathe Worlds are mentioned on the map, the series of clustered Forgeworlds key to the Calixis Sector from FFG Dark Heresy Mechanicus supplement (titled appropriately "The Lathe Worlds") which is a nice nod to the FFG game, however... they aren't given the forgeworld emblem on the map.

SELECTED: DENTRICA I OF I

ENGAGE NEURAL CONGRESS – WIRELESS AUTOSHUNT ACQUIRED

UPLOADING… + GALACTIC MAP +

Most perturbatory. The hard copy codex shows the 17th expedition, however the e-code copy does not show it all. It has been wiped clean... 

INTERFERENCE...

LOSING SIGNAL...

UPLOADING...

UPLOADING...

Brother Battybattybats, remember the Omnissiah moves according to His great design. A glitch caused by the all-failing Flesh has been removed.

There is nothing of any relevance in this sector or else the record would be visible. There is no need for you to pursue this inquiry.  

We recommend you pursue another path of study at your earliest convenience.

R.

I have checked the Ruststalker Edition and the standard hard-copy edition and it is present in both. Interesting that it's absent from the digital edition, rather than putting back or editing in a missing line of text they altered the image to remove the arrow? Seems a lot more effort and certainly raises questions!

Googling the Forgeworld brings up this http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zhao-Arkkad which led me to discover that the Lathe Worlds were also marked on the Imperial Knight Codex map and i had just missed it.

Perhaps the expedition could relate to events in Imperial Armour v.XI ? Anyone have a copy they could elucidate from?

Perhaps we will not find out about Expedition XVII till the next Mechanicus codex?

SELECTED: DENTRICA II OF II

ENGAGE NEURAL CONGRESS – WIRELESS AUTOSHUNT ACQUIRED

UPLOADING… + IMPERIAL ARMOUR XI +

The Doom of Mymeara [ref. Craftworlds]

The text focuses on two Eldar war hosts [ref. Alaitoc, Mymeara] launching an attack on the ice world Betalis III.

Adeptus Mechanicus Necrognition Cortical Transcripts are heavily restricted [ref. General Myndoras Odon, Inquisitor Lord Hestaphus Danzk, Tech-Priest Mydeaus]

Scattered Lexicanum data fragments are currently being reassembled to provide a clearer summary of events [ref. Phoenix Lord, Xenos Artifact].

Originally discovered in the Omniel Crusade, an Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator craft came across the world while recovering an Eldar craft that had landed on the planet. Scoured by the Ordo Xenos and Adeptus Mechanicus afterwards, after many decades the scans were complete and no further Eldar presence could be found. Concluding that the craft had been abandoned, the Inquisition lost interest in Betalis III and it quickly developed into an ore and mineral mining outpost for the Imperium. Its extreme climate made it uninhabitable and thus little development occurred, its only major population consisted of tens of millions of settlers shipped in to serve as miners or factory laborers. The planets climate meant the planetary population was forced to live in confined quarters for generations on end, leading to madness, claustrophobia, and agoraphobia.

In 894.M41 Eldar forces from Craftworld Alaitoc, Craftworld Mymeara, and Corsairs from the Void Dragons, Sky Raiders, and Sunblitz Brotherhood descended upon Betalis III in search of Irillyth, the lost Phoenix Lord of the Shadow Spectres Aspect Warriors. Betalis III was reinforced by Cadian and Elysian Imperial Guard as well as Titans from the Legio Gryphonicus and Space Wolves Space Marines. After fighting the Eldar to a bloody standstill, the mysterious aliens vanished as quickly as they had arrived, presumably recovering Irillyth.

Although calculations are incomplete, there is a current [expurgated] % probability of non-sanctioned Adeptus Mechanicus involvement. If such involvement had been deemed necessary, there is 'no doubt' our allies in the Imperial Forces would have been notified.

INTERFERENCE...

By the Great Cog, not again...

LOSING SIGNAL...

pinch.gif

SIGNAL LOST...

• 1 year later...

Quite sorry to bump this! But I thought some folks might be interested to hear that Zhao-Arkkad now has a color scheme and fluff smile.png

http://i.imgur.com/R2NUuw7.jpg

During the Horus Heresy they worked closely with the Thousand Sons to develop psy-related machinery. At the burning of Propsero Mars sent various forces to accompany the Space Wolves to punish Zhao-Arkkad for what they judged as tech-heresy.

So somehow they survived those events and managed to be left alone for an eternity and then were brought back into compliance.

Archived