How should I build My Dreadnaught?

honeybadger33

Im new and starting a army. I have many troops and stuff and I will probably never get to play an actual game unless I build two armies and its hard enough money wise right now to build just the one. I want to get more bang for my buck so Im asking you guys this: How should I build this Furioso Dreadnaught? Do I go straight Furioso or Death Company or through in the ole Librarian in there?

Unless you want to use Cassor I'd say go Furioso over DC dread. This thread might also interest you. At the moment I'd say do a red dread and build Frag Cannon as well as Blood Claw arms. That way you can have both Furioso load outs. I doubt that anyone would mind if the PF on the Fragioso has particularly sharp fingers. Magnetizing the storm bolter, meltagun and flamer might also be a good idea.

Librarian dreads are something else. They occupy a HQ slot and can be used as a force muliplier much more than the other dreads. You should really think about whether you want one. If so get another dread.

For which model to use in your army list, I'll let others help you, but for modelling...

Firstly, don't glue the arms or the front body and magna grapple.  Been a while since I remember what was on the kit though, so sorry if I'm incorrect below.

You can make up the Frag Cannon and a DCCW (Dread close combat weapon - fist/claw) to start with.  You can also build up the opposing DCCW.  By not gluing the arms on you can have your choice of Furioso / DC Dread or Frag Cannon dread.  Using magnets you can attach the different weapon options and switch between them.  You can also magnetise the Magna Grapple (I put magnets inside the top of the dread body shell and some inset in the magna grapple, with the plastic body between it makes them seamless and unseen), and you can also magnetise the front body cover - giving you the option to switch between Furioso, Death Company and Librarian fronts.  I think you can also make up the libbie arm too(?) as well as the others above.  Lastly, if you are good with magnets and have some small ones, you can actually magnetise the finger rings onto the forearms of your DCCWs so you can choose between claws or talons etc.

I believe there are some tutorials out there.  For painting, as long as you paint the weapon options and front body (Sarcophagus) section according to what it is, you can paint the rest of it in red or black accordingly to your tastes.

Furioso

Grapple

Frag cannon

Flamer Meltagun

FTFY msn-wink.gif

Using two template weapons will mean that whichever you use second, will hit fewer models because the first has already removed some. A drop pod for that one is also nice.

I started in August and I really wished I had started magnetizing right then! Its a pain to learn at first, and takes more time and $$$but it is really worth it and in the long run saves you money.

I'd go for a Furioso Dreadnought, and definitely go for the frag cannon. I always get good use out of mine. I went powerfist/heavy flamer, and frag cannon. I also have my other arm which is the melta gun and second powerfist but I have yet to use that loadout in any game I've played. I use the frag cannon loadout. I also normally drop pod my dreadnought along with another unit in a second pod in turn 1. My dreadnought has always performed well.

If you are thinking drop pods are cool too remember you can always drop half of your pods (round up) on the start of turn 1. I run 3 pods, dropping two on the start of round 1 and rolling for reserve to bring in the 3d one on turn 2 or (bad rolls) later msn-wink.gif .... so if you can run an odd number of pods so you can drop the majority at the start of the game.

Quixis / Golden

I pod mine in against a back field squad, stuff like Devestators and Broadsides.

Flamer first, then the Frag Cannon, if your flamer rolls are tops, you have two hits on the one bugger that didnt die.

He's the ultimate distraction, throw him at someone who wanted to sit still and not be bothered, and then template the gits to oblivion, they either run the heavies away, losing the support, leave them where they are, losing the support, or "rescue them" throwing the entire battle plan to the wind.

Honey badger

All of the Box Sets (Dark Vengence, Storm Claw, Storm of Baal(?)) provide two small armies and a series (six?) of small games to play with them

They're fantastic value, especially if you can get a mate to give it a go.

Archived