The World Eaters' bloody fall to Khorne

terminatorAM

I'm trying to fill in a gap in the known World Eaters' history and wanted to get input from the community.

After Angron ascended to demonhood, he told Khârn to build him a throne of skulls. After that not-so-subtle nod to Khorne's worship, did the rest of the World Eaters similarly fall to Chaos on their way to Terra?

Khârn raved about being the eight fold path when he fought Loken on Isstvan, but for the most part, he held himself together during the shadow crusade. He didn't lose it until the Battle of Skalathrax. Was Khârn's worship of Khorne voluntary? He didn't mention chaos in Betrayer and it seems that Khorne only took over when the nails did.

Now from a hobby perspective, when did the World Eaters change their color scheme to red? Would they have ever had Khorne and chaos iconography when their armor was white and blue?

Thanks all!

The most recent source we have about this is Khârn: Eater of Worlds by Anthony Reynolds, which you totally should read.

It is set right after Terra, as the battle of Skalathrax is about to begin.

There, it is said that many World Eaters adopted the red as a sign of devotion to Khorne, whose cult spread quickly after Angron's ascension.

Some (Like Dreagher's ninth company) still had their original colours.

An older source (I don't remember the title) stated that some World Eaters started painting their armours red in honour of Angron's warrior cult right after Isstvan, though this was never expanded.

About Khârn and the Eightfold path, they probably realised that Isstvan III would have been a bit too soon for the Legion to be already at that stage of corruption and fixed it in their following publications.

To sum it up, it was not a regular process or a particular event like it was for the Word Bearers. They started doing it accordingly to their beliefs regarding Angron and/or Khorne, and hobby-wise, you should feel free to mix their colour schemes smile.png

That was Galaxy in Flames, which was the third novel written. And that's exactly what happened. The series wasn't anticipated to have lasted as long as it has, and so as BL/GW realized they would have to extend the series, and thus make certain occurences more realistic.

But essentially at the time of Khârn: Eater of Worlds, therewere still some holdouts, but most were walking the Eightfold Path.

Thanks guys. Now another question, what do you think would come first, the red paint or helmet crests (bunny ears)?

I had an idea to use the FW Khorne terminator kit to build some red butchers and paint them white and blue. The scalps are much more cult focused than legion focused, but if they were from a timeline during the scouring, I think they would still be fitting with legion rules. Thoughts?

The bunny ears are iirc an allready existing thing even before the heresy, but Angron had forbidden them.

Its symbolic of gladiators who where so far in the killing frenzy that they could not come back and where destined to fight to the death, some WE still used those even with the ban from Angron, it became widespread years after the heresy.

@ Scribe: Slayer le Boucher is right -- this is stated outright in the first few pages of Khârn:Eater of Worlds (at least in the digital edition). There are two or three pages about World Eaters traditions and special features. The bunny ears even get a canonical name: the Caedere Remissum.

Yup, except i wasn't sure if i read it in Eater of Worlds or in Betrayer to be honest, and i also forgot the name, even thouhg i knew it was something of an Old Roman reference.

From those info we can make out that, even thouhg they all "feared" Angron, lots of them still defied his orders, mostly in their attempts to get closer to him, but then Angron din't really care much.

Yup, except i wasn't sure if i read it in Eater of Worlds or in Betrayer to be honest, and i also forgot the name, even thouhg i knew it was something of an Old Roman reference.

Hmm, it may be a couple of extra pages that BL just adds to all the digital books concerning the World Eaters...? Because it wasn't in the printed version of Betrayer, but those pages also don't belong to the narrative of Eater of Worlds, so I suspect it's just some kind of "bonus" for the digital editions, just like the extra illustrations we get in some of the ebooks.

Iirc, in the first 3rd edition of C:CSM wasn't there an illustration of the berzerker helmet with the bunny ears, and it was known as the Arx Death Helm? Or am I thinking of something different? I always thought it was for the devoted ones in the legion but you learn something new everyday.

Hmm, it may be a couple of extra pages that BL just adds to all the digital books concerning the World Eaters...? Because it wasn't in the printed version of Betrayer, but those pages also don't belong to the narrative of Eater of Worlds, so I suspect it's just some kind of "bonus" for the digital editions, just like the extra illustrations we get in some of the ebooks.

Aww that is a shame, would have liked to have read that smile.png also the arx death helm? sounds neat, may have to use that for a character i think.

also the arx death helm? sounds neat, may have to use that for a character i think.

Reading a bit more, it could be that specific design of helmet as opposed to the ears themselves. Google helped me out with this one but I was right (for a change as my wife is fond of telling me) - it is called the Arx Death Helm but was produced post-heresy. This is why I think it was more in reference to the helmet design as a whole and just had the ears incorporated, whereas as said above the ears appeared as a way of defying Angron and FW produce the Mk.II World Eater helmets with the ears. 

The middle colour pages of the hardback Eater of World has them.

Archived