Vash's Mechanicum plog, Kastelan robot p5

Vash

haha i was encountering this exact thing last night laugh.png i'm ever so glad it was mentioned here,i was going to do the standard gem/lens tutorial but this cheat time saving idea looks the goods, so only for green and red ?...is there no technical paint for a blue effect... mellow.png if not then my lenses will end up being green...it may be just as well,in the 50's & 60's Aliens from Mars (martians) were thought to be green weren't they ... tongue.png so perhaps green lenses will be fitting...

great stuff vash and thanks for the real world tactics ++Data Upload++.

@commodusXIII - thanks for hijaking, although the omnissiah may not be pleased with the heretical mold lines on the vanguards backpack ohmy.png although my eyes were instantly drawn to the lenses first!!...

Mithril

Try Nihilakh Oxide for blue lenses if you want to cheat tongue.png

haha i was encountering this exact thing last night laugh.png i'm ever so glad it was mentioned here,i was going to do the standard gem/lens tutorial but this cheat time saving idea looks the goods, so only for green and red ?...is there no technical paint for a blue effect... mellow.png if not then my lenses will end up being green...it may be just as well,in the 50's & 60's Aliens from Mars (martians) were thought to be green weren't they ... tongue.png so perhaps green lenses will be fitting...

great stuff vash and thanks for the real world tactics ++Data Upload++.

@commodusXIII - thanks for hijaking, although the omnissiah may not be pleased with the heretical mold lines on the vanguards backpack ohmy.png although my eyes were instantly drawn to the lenses first!!...

Mithril

Try Nihilakh Oxide for blue lenses if you want to cheat tongue.png

HaHa! i'm in the camp that it's not really cheating per se, its a more effective and quicker method msn-wink.gif

i think i will go and buy a pot of each of - Red for the Lens God,Nihilakh Plasma,Nurgle's Scanner,...has anyone tried typhus on anything for not what it was meant for??

Mithril

Well having already been using the Nihilakh over white for plasma and having already done the start of some lenses with mephiston red with a curve of highlight of old foundation orange and another set with warpstone and a line of moot i experimented with a layer of blood over the red and rot over the green. Worked quite well keeping the highlight and blending it across better than the usual blend wash and gloss than i often do. I don't think i'll do this for my screens and i think i'll keep the simple highlight underneath but i'll definitely use this some more. The single white dot thing i often don't think is necessary if you are leaving a glossy result as that will catch it's own natural lightsource reflections unless you are going for a deep gem effect. So this has been a most effective discussion.

I must say, seeing the visors of the vanguards painted with the glow effect you've done there Vash does tempt me to go with a different scheme than i am already using.
Making me think of these for the vanguard

http://www.planete-jeunesse.com/images/0388/Robostory06.jpg

And for the alpha convert up a ruststalker with a vanguard helmet in the scheme of the most terrifying robot in cinema history.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/8073/maxi.jpg

I'll stick to my established scheme though, but i will have to think carefully about whether to go with a dark visor or a luminous one.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your force Vash. Hmmm... an Onager with the vision-slits glowing.. i wonder if that would work.

I'm glad it worked out for you! I have similar feelings - a true gloss/lens effect is more pleasing to my eyes than simulated.

well im going with the Commodus/batty/vash way for my lenses which will forever more be now known as the "Combatvas technique" msn-wink.gif ...

and will show proof (only after the ETL IV starts of course ermm.gif ) when its done. the colour in the lens slit is tempting me also...

will have to try one first and see..?!?

Is that mean Robot Maximillian from the Movie Black hole?... i remember that movie as a kid and yes he was a scary robot back then...silent and menacing,and he hovered around too didn't he?.

cheers Mithril

Wow woke up and checked the forum, suddenly a burst of post in here :D Great read. 

Well up next for me is to finish the two units I started. Infiltrators and rangers. Then I am aiming for one Onager. If I am not disturbed by my sick son to much (who should be resting) I should be able to complete the onager late this night. 

I'm glad it worked out for you! I have similar feelings - a true gloss/lens effect is more pleasing to my eyes than simulated.

well im going with the Commodus/batty/vash way for my lenses which will forever more be now known as the "Combatvas technique" msn-wink.gif ...

and will show proof (only after the ETL IV starts of course ermm.gif ) when its done. the colour in the lens slit is tempting me also...

will have to try one first and see..?!?

Is that mean Robot Maximillian from the Movie Black hole?... i remember that movie as a kid and yes he was a scary robot back then...silent and menacing,and he hovered around too didn't he?.

cheers Mithril

Yes that is Maximilian from the film The Black Hole, responsible for

one of the nastiest scenes in PG film history, and certainly the nastiest in a Disney film! Even if they skipped the blood that was one nasty death scene!

and much scarier than several horror-movie robots. And indeed he glided around above the ground.

Wow woke up and checked the forum, suddenly a burst of post in here biggrin.png Great read.

Well up next for me is to finish the two units I started. Infiltrators and rangers. Then I am aiming for one Onager. If I am not disturbed by my sick son to much (who should be resting) I should be able to complete the onager late this night.

I'm looking forward to the results. Hope your son gets better soon!

Good luck with the painting this weekend! I'm going to attempt to finish up my Rangers and get the initial coats on my newly-minted Onager. That is, assuming Mrs. Vel'Cona doesn't bombard me with "honey-do's". msn-wink.gif

Okey, so I have assembled one out of three Onagers. I did some planing with the assembling and sprayed parts separately. So, now when its assembled and ready to paint it looks like this. 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Onager%20WIP.jpg

Now I only need to add metalics, then its ready for the washing/shading

Well then. My sons chicken pox or what ever its called :D is pretty mild. But I have to stay home for a few days from work. Gives me some time to paint while he rests. 

Onto the painting. I did complete the Onager, and the infiltrators. But the Martian Iron Earth take so darn long time to dry. Also, I discovered that the Martian Iron Earth (and the Agrellan I guess), needs a layer of paint before its applied to the base. 

I forgot to paint one base with Rhinox Hide, and that base when painted with Martian Iron Earth didn't keep the cracks on the base as good. The cracks fell off. Had to fix this with PVA glue watered down, and paint the whole base over the cracks.

Tomorrow I'll be gone during daytime and most of the evening. Not much painting will be done I guess. :( Hopefully I can get a picture or two of the completed units. 

Well then. I had time to take one photo. 
So here it is. The Onager. 

Its the first out of three. I didn't bother painting the bone white armour more at the moment. This has to do for now. I have to prioritise getting the army battle ready. Once I am done with that, I might go back to the models and paint the bone white more detailed. 

What else to say about it. Well its a very easy model to assemble and paint. It basically painted it self, compared to other vehicles. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Onager%201.jpg

Thanks mate. the OSL is actually a accidental success. When I was painting the white base for the lens I accidentally got some white on the inner edge of the lamp house. I just let that be there and painted the whole edge and then painted with Nhilak Oxide. Pretty much painted it self :)

This base I had a problem with... this is the one I forgot to base with Rhinox hide. Had to paint it with PVA glue and do "a lot" of repairing to make it acceptable. One thing is for sure now, those cracks won't fall off any time soon. 

Awesome work so far, I can't believe the pace you've been able to maintain. I'm putting the finishing touches on my FIRST Ranger squad this weekend, so I guess I'm behind the bell curve a bit. BTW, your basing style really helped with my models. It's not 1:1, but I definitely got a better finish on the Martian Ironearth using your tips. That said, I'm probably going to need 3-4 bottles more before I finish with my Skitarii! biggrin.png

hey Guys!!, i see vash has been busy as usual!

great work by the way thumbsup.gif hope vash Jnr gets better soon.

The iron earth is great but yes iv'e found you need heaps to get a real good effect,and i agree you need a solid base coat down for it to grip onto!!

* whose dead body is that on the Base?.. LOL !

cheers Mithril

Awesome work so far, I can't believe the pace you've been able to maintain. I'm putting the finishing touches on my FIRST Ranger squad this weekend, so I guess I'm behind the bell curve a bit. BTW, your basing style really helped with my models. It's not 1:1, but I definitely got a better finish on the Martian Ironearth using your tips. That said, I'm probably going to need 3-4 bottles more before I finish with my Skitarii! biggrin.png

Well I tend to dedicate my self to finish what I have started if I like what I see.

The Skitarii are really easy to paint and fun to game with. And I have this requirement to have everything painted when I use them. This has led to that my opponents feel the need to paint their miniatures before they challenge me.

Don't worry about your own speed, the important thing is that your satisfied with the result in the end.

I am glad I can of help with your painting. If there are other questions feel free to ask. I have no secrets when it comes to painting. And if I see something I like, I usually ask my self how the person achieved it.

hey Guys!!, i see vash has been busy as usual!

great work by the way thumbsup.gif hope vash Jnr gets better soon.

The iron earth is great but yes iv'e found you need heaps to get a real good effect,and i agree you need a solid base coat down for it to grip onto!!

* whose dead body is that on the Base?.. LOL !

cheers Mithril

Busy busy busy :D

Well, as said before, I am a speed painter for over a decade now. I have picked up a few tricks on the way.

My son is getting better, or well... he has never really shown any signs that he cares much about his chicken pox. My daughter doesn't seem to be affected by all of this... Cant remember if she had it or not.

The dead poor soldier? Well here is a picture for you. The story behind that guy I leave up to anyone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Dead%20vostroyan.jpg

Tomorrow might be a productive day for photography of miniatures. I now have Infiltrators and an Ironstrider ready for a showdown. 

There is also a transport ready, but its not Skitarii or Mechanum (but will be used in the army and painted in the Mars colour scheme), so I will not bother you guys with it. 

Assembling and painting the Ironstrider was slightly more difficult than the Dune crawler, meaning it was not really hard :)

Again the legs were sprayed with bone white, while the top and leg armour prices were sprayed with red. 

From that point, its just to paint the metallics, black areas, and fill in the bone white areas on the top. Wash/shade and voila its pretty much done. 

So, finally I had time to take pictures of my finished units. 

The Infiltrators have been done since last week except for the bases. But I was not really motivated to finish them for some reason. 

I also have one drop pod painted in Mars colour scheme, but since its not a mechanum miniature I'll spare you all of it. 

First up:

[iNFILTRATORS]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Infiltrators.jpg

[iRONSTRIDER]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Ironstrider.jpg

Archived