Vash's Mechanicum plog, Kastelan robot p5

Vash

Hello, 

Here are some Adeptus Mechanicum units I am working on. I'll update as time goes by and I complete more of my planed army. 

[sKITARII VANGUARD]

Not completed as there are 5 men missing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/5%20man%20Vanguard%20Arc%20rifle.jpg

[RUST STALKERS]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Rust%20stalkers.jpg

[XENO INQUISITOR]

Kitbashed xeno inquisitor. Armed with a plasma pistol, power sword, and rad grenades. Going to join a unit of Vanguards and force them into close combat. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Xeno%20inquisitor%201%20front.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/Xeno%20inquisitor%201%20back.jpg

As usual for those who have seen my other plogs. I tend to speed paint. I prefer playing with painted miniatures over the grey menace that it is pretty common. 

Thanks. 

The Inquisitor is going to be heavily influenced by the Adepts Mechanicus, thus he is not against cybernetic upgrades and such. 

Speed painting is what I have been doing the last 10 years or more. I have no patience :D And over that time I have learned a few tricks. 

Key points are:

- Clean models (no mould lines)

- Spray (I have a ton of different colours to cover the main colour)

- Washes/shades (my best friend, as it smoothens everything)

For these models I did the following:

- Spray red

- Paint metallics

- Agrax earth shade

- dry brush with metallics with a  lighter hue

- Details

What did take long was the bases... The Martian Iron earth paint takes about an hour to dry. 

Do you have to smother the base with the Earth paint to get that effect? I've been using Agrellan Earth but it seems to crack in patches and not really as good as how yours come out.

I really like the Rust Stalkers. I'm convinced on getting them for a project of my own.

Inquisitor is awesome. Servo skulls for the win. thumbsup.gif

The Martian Iron Earth is much better compared to the Agrellan Earth. New recipe? 

Anyhow, I had the same problems as you with Agrellan earth. But with this new one... it can be much thicker without breaking away. 

Vash, your stuff is always great...Fast & Quality, hard to beat on gaming pieces (may i take a page out of your book and speed up my workings blush.png )

i like your extra drybrush highlight on the base's Really makes em standout (pop).

lokk fwd to more stuff from you...quickly of course tongue.png

Mithril

Looks awesome Vash - and great bases! How did you do the glow of the weapons? 

Good job on the Inquisitor too - he looks exotic enough... :D

I'm considering a force from Metallica myself - those minis certainly got me drooling... 

Wow, love the Inquisitor! I'm probably going to go for a Deathwatch Captain myself (C:BA variant), but that's an excellent way to incorporate what Codex:Skitarii needs while keeping in character to the faction.

BTW, I'm completely stealing your basing style. It's that good! biggrin.png

Thanks guys. Good to hear that you like them.

As of this afternoon, I am going to paint 5 5 man units. I was challenged to a game tomorrow. And I intend to play with painted miniatures. So, up next tonight (I hope) will be infiltrators and Rangers. Fingers crossed that I can make it in time. I usually paint 5 on one evening, but we will see if I can muster up with 10 men instead.

Good job on the Inquisitor too - he looks exotic enough... biggrin.png

I'm considering a force from Metallica myself - those minis certainly got me drooling...

The glow on the weapon is really easy ;)

Base with ceramite white (base), then follow up with GWs technical paint Nihulakh Oxide.

It doesn't matter if you paint outside the white area, it will just give a "glowing" effect on the areas you were sloppy enough o miss the white areas. :)

Phew... I failed to complete 2 units... 
I completed the Sicarian Infiltrators, but the bases remain. The Rangers I did all the base colours and shades/washes. I think I still have one more hour to go on the Rangers. But... they are playable. Might come some pictures of this afternoons battle. 

As of this afternoon, I am going to paint 5 5 man units. I was challenged to a game tomorrow. And I intend to play with painted miniatures. So, up next tonight (I hope) will be infiltrators and Rangers. Fingers crossed that I can make it in time. I usually paint 5 on one evening, but we will see if I can muster up with 10 men instead.

The glow on the weapon is really easy msn-wink.gif

Base with ceramite white (base), then follow up with GWs technical paint Nihulakh Oxide.

It doesn't matter if you paint outside the white area, it will just give a "glowing" effect on the areas you were sloppy enough o miss the white areas. smile.png

This is one of my most effective cheats, along with using Blood for the Blood God for red lenses and Nurgle's Rot for green lenses. smile.png

The glow on the weapon is really easy msn-wink.gif

It doesn't matter if you paint outside the white area, it will just give a "glowing" effect on the areas you were sloppy enough o miss the white areas. smile.png

This is one of my most effective cheats, along with using Blood for the Blood God for red lenses and Nurgle's Rot for green lenses. smile.png

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that, I did the oxide back when i made my heretek but not the blood and rot. Have an example and a quick rundown on how you do them? With silver or white underneath for example?

Hey Vash,

What did you do for the 'dirt' on your cloaks?

And, did you apply Martian Ironearth thick or thin? Mine didn't seem to come out as good.

I'm afraid I don't have any particularly good pictures handy, but I'll try to snap one tonight.

I leave the lenses unpainted until after the final wash.  I do a bright base color - Evil Suns Scarlet for red lenses, Moot Green for... green - and then a layer of Blood for the Blood God or Nurgle's Rot, respectively.  The technical paint will pool a bit, giving you good definition and a glossy finish.  Use a medium coat - too light and you won't get the gloss, too much and you won't get the definition.  I then clean up around the lenses with metal, which is brighter than the surrounding areas that were hit by the wash and helps the color pop.

A white undercoat instead of bright color would give you even more definition, but I think it would be a bit too much.  Also, this works best after applying a matte varnish if you're so inclined.  If you use a matte varnish after the fact, the gloss on the lenses will be lost.  If you use a gloss varnish at all, it'll just look like any other color and you might as well just paint them normally.

EDIT:  This also requires very little clean-up after the BftBG/NR coat, compared to the initial bright basecoat.  BftBG/NR are dark and don't have a lot of pigment, so if you overpaint anything they tend to blend in with the previous wash.

Hey Vash,

What did you do for the 'dirt' on your cloaks?

And, did you apply Martian Ironearth thick or thin? Mine didn't seem to come out as good.

Been cheating here too :D

I bought Forge Worlds Weathering Powder some years ago. On the cloaks I used Dry Mud Weathering Powder. 

I try to keep things simple and fast. 

First game with the few units I had finished, combined with Militarum Tempestus and one inquisitor. 

1000 pts vs Elysians and Astra Militarum. 

Friendly battle, so nothing fancy. Was short on time so I didn't have time to take pictures, sorry. 

Both of us rolled really badly, either to hit or to wound. My charges failed way to many times (even at dead obvious ones...). 

What I did learn from the game was how to play the units for real and not on paper. 

Obviously we are weak, with our T3. The Sicarians extra move really helps. Getting into cover and avoiding bullets in general. 

Versus a deep striking army, the outflanking option was really great. I did end up on the wrong side of the table, but it saved them. 

Taser goads... my gosh they are good. The surviving three infiltrators scored 15 wounds! Though he saved a huge amount with his 4+ save. 

The Ruststalkers were much better than I thought. I thought they would be "overkill" and pointless in a battle vs his Elysians. But I had missed that the transonic weapons were AP5 in the first turn, which was enough against the unit I happened to charge. 

Transuranic Arquebus I have mixed feelings for. Vs weak opponents I see no real point of it. Space marines are not the only army out there. On the other hand, the galvanic rifles were surprisingly good. I am considering to go for 10 men with galvanic rifles over the special weapon upgrade with Arquebus. 

Arc rifles... If I hadn't missed so darn much I do believe they are extremely dangerous. The range makes them a good choice over the classical meltagun, combined with an omnispex it did really well for me. 

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Vash!

The BftBG lens effect is maddeningly difficult to capture on camera, but this is a fairly good example.  It's a great technique for hard-to-reach lenses, like those on the Omnispex.

http://i.imgur.com/W2NKqOyl.jpg

Them dots drive me nuts! I've been doing a dark blue base with a blue ink, then following up with a light blue and pure white dot. The effect is what I want, but the labor in accurately placing those dots is giving me some serious headaches. wacko.png

haha i was encountering this exact thing last night laugh.png i'm ever so glad it was mentioned here,i was going to do the standard gem/lens tutorial but this cheat time saving idea looks the goods, so only for green and red ?...is there no technical paint for a blue effect... mellow.png if not then my lenses will end up being green...it may be just as well,in the 50's & 60's Aliens from Mars (martians) were thought to be green weren't they ... tongue.png so perhaps green lenses will be fitting...

great stuff vash and thanks for the real world tactics ++Data Upload++.

@commodusXIII - thanks for hijaking, although the omnissiah may not be pleased with the heretical mold lines on the vanguards backpack ohmy.png although my eyes were instantly drawn to the lenses first!!...

Mithril

Archived