Prot's Brief Look at the new Storage Case

Prot

I took some oddly shaped models down to the GW store to have a peek at what the new case could handle.

gallery_2760_10611_25104.jpg

Obviously I didn't expect the case could handle these, but I brought them anyway as well as a Nemesis Dreadknight with some dynamically posed Grey Knights on 32mm bases, as well as Terminators:

med_gallery_2760_10611_295260.jpg

You can see by the way some of these guys are posed, it presents a real problem for me. The traditional foam cuts are fine for line marines, carrying bolters two handed, but especially with Finecast, the protruding bitz are a real pain. The same goes for Halbreds and any swords really.

gallery_2760_10611_175977.jpg

Basically here are the things I'm trying to get into the case.... at first I wasn't too sure about the termies, and the Nemesis Dreadknight sword was a little too long...

gallery_2760_10611_437084.jpg

But after some adjustments, I came to realize the Dreadknight is better off upside down with his sword laying across the top.

The best thing I think to do is put the larger items in the middle. The 'accordion' style foam simply works around the larger model.

At that point you use your other infantry/termies and place them around the larger model, and they create a sort of compression fit. This keeps stuff from moving around.

gallery_2760_10611_356051.jpg

As you can see I think this worked really well. The odd shaped models actually fit very well in this style of case. Far better than my Army Transport foam, and while not as specific as my larger Battle Foam kits, this was more economic in a space saving sort of way.

As a side note, we noticed the GW foam inserts fit perfectly, side by side (two per level) inside the Battle Foam kit..... I'm sure that's more than a coincidence. smile.png

The bad news is, even though I tried, models like the Necron Ghost ark were far too... awkward. I did not trust that a long trip, or anything beyond a 'gentle' car ride would see my Ghost Arks arrive in one piece. (those Gauss Arrays are notorious for visiting Snap City.)

Also the Nephilim fighter did fit, however It's going to consume nearly a full level and again, you would be compression fitting infantry around the model to secure it in place.

Overall I give the unit about an 8.5 out of 10. I would have given it a 9, but it's quite pricey, but on the other hand it's an expensive hobby so it's to be expected.

I was surprised to find this is such a simple concept but -fantastic- for infantry. It easily holds tons of the most awkward stuff you have, right up to and including monstrous creatures, and walkers. (I don't have my Dreadknights glued at the waist though.)

I didn't buy one yet, but I plan on getting the biggest one as its the only 'deal' to be had in the line up. That being said, you'd be able to store a massive amount of infantry in it.

Personally I plan on mixing my laser cut foam from battle foam for the awkward vehicles with the infantry of the GW case. I find the battle foam 'elite' style infantry section does not fit my 32mm stuff very well, and even some of my necrons, GK's (stuff with staffs) do not fit very well... or at least I fear they will snap off in transit.

That's my 2 cents. I just wanted to post this for you guys who may not be able to see it first hand!

See, the main issue I had with these new cases when I checked them out on release day was lifespan. Yes the stretchy foam is kinda neat and being able to fit some big models in without cutting is nice (though you're essentially limited to one per tray, not ideal fro a tank heavy army), but it will lose elasticity, making model fits looser and degrading it's ability to safely store models long term. This could already be seen in the display examples within hours of them going on sale, with clear size differences appearing between various 'accordion' layers when empty, and noticeably less spring in the centre layer that had been bent the most to fit large models. Now admittedly these examples had been put through a pretty strenuous time with many customers using them and bending the foam, but I'd be worried that it'd only be a matter of time before the foam started to split, then you're really in trouble. Now I may well be overestimating the effect and/or underestimating the toughness of the foam, but frankly that's not really a risk I want to take with my painted minis. So I'll most likely be sticking with KR.

Could I fit a Storm Raven in there?

You can (with a bit of fiddling and removing a tray layer to make height room) fit a couple of Imperial Knights in there (at least that's what we reckoned, my mate's Knight fitted fine, and only took up about half the tray area when laid flat). So I'd be surprised if a Stormraven didn't fit. Though I should probably note we didn't force the Knight into the accordion, rather made a 'sandwich' of two trays, keeping the Knight compressed in the middle, but that seemed to work fine.

Great pics! ...

i really love your GKs....

that's a nice case... very useful

Thank you!

How do you think tyranid MCs will fit in it? Those models are very awkward when it comes to storing/transporting them.

I think MC's could be tough unless lying down which uses a lot of room. The Dreadknight worked because I had it in two sections: Upper and lower body. The pointy appendages aren't the issue, but the height/and base depth would be.

I think a Stormraven would fit, but I don't think I'd do it. This is where I would go back to my battlefoam and get the laser cut stuff. I do think it would fit, but you'd be cutting some of the foam out (which of course is permanent) and filling the empty sections with infantry. I think it would work out. I just found it to be probably more economical to do something else with super large vehicles, but in a pinch if you were travelling with 1850 pts in that large case, I think it would work fine.

See, the main issue I had with these new cases when I checked them out on release day was lifespan. Yes the stretchy foam is kinda neat and being able to fit some big models in without cutting is nice (though you're essentially limited to one per tray, not ideal fro a tank heavy army), but it will lose elasticity, making model fits looser and degrading it's ability to safely store models long term. This could already be seen in the display examples within hours of them going on sale, with clear size differences appearing between various 'accordion' layers when empty, and noticeably less spring in the centre layer that had been bent the most to fit large models. Now admittedly these examples had been put through a pretty strenuous time with many customers using them and bending the foam, but I'd be worried that it'd only be a matter of time before the foam started to split, then you're really in trouble. Now I may well be overestimating the effect and/or underestimating the toughness of the foam, but frankly that's not really a risk I want to take with my painted minis. So I'll most likely be sticking with KR.

You can (with a bit of fiddling and removing a tray layer to make height room) fit a couple of Imperial Knights in there (at least that's what we reckoned, my mate's Knight fitted fine, and only took up about half the tray area when laid flat). So I'd be surprised if a Stormraven didn't fit. Though I should probably note we didn't force the Knight into the accordion, rather made a 'sandwich' of two trays, keeping the Knight compressed in the middle, but that seemed to work fine.

It's not the elasticity of the foam keeping the models in place, it's the pressure. An empty tray isn't going to hold anything in place even when it's brand new. You need to stuff the tray with models to ensure none of them move around. Which is a bit of a pain, but I really like the free-form storage idea they've got going on where even wildly posed models (like Grey Knights) with arms and weapons sticking out everywhere, can go in just about anywhere.

It's not the elasticity of the foam keeping the models in place, it's the pressure. An empty tray isn't going to hold anything in place even when it's brand new. You need to stuff the tray with models to ensure none of them move around. Which is a bit of a pain, but I really like the free-form storage idea they've got going on where even wildly posed models (like Grey Knights) with arms and weapons sticking out everywhere, can go in just about anywhere.

That doesn't really gel with what I observed, when the foam is new and unwarped (as will likely remain the case on the edges of the tray), it can hold regular infantry models in the diamonds perfectly fine (just like it's predecessor, the new foam seems best suited to Marines with Boltguns), even when the rest of the tray is empty. Whereas the area of tray where you stick a Rhino will, in short order, only be suitable for Rhinos (despite what the GW propaganda claimed pre-release). At it's simplest, I've got carry cases of the old style well over a decade old that still work as well as the day I bought them, despite years of use and abuse. I'd be very surprised if we can say the same about the new cases in 2025. I'd also say that a storage method that relies on being full to function is inferior to one that functions just as well containing a single model or stuffed to the gills.

I'd have to agree with Adeptus. From my experience the 'accordion' foam really provides very little elasticity and it's the surrounding pressure of other figures that will keep your stuff from moving.

As noted earlier, when I put a large vehicle in the middle, or even terminators in the rows, the free movement of the figures in question is pretty liberal. It's not until other models start taking up the slack in the foam ribbing that you get a sense of the figure being truly secure.

It's not a big deal because I'm sure most of us can fill that large case easily, but in the case of stressing the foam, I really don't think it will make a difference in the long run.

How would it fit stuff like the new Bloodthirster or a Heldrake? I have quite a nice case now, but i always struggle with models like those. Rhino's, infantry, and things like dreads or Daemon princes are no problem. Heldrake is.

Also, how is the case itself? Is it sturdy enough to handle a airplane trip for example? 

Thanks for the answers guys. My problem is that my Storm Raven is a conversion using the Chapterhouse kit so it's considerably longer than the normal one, ergo it won't fit in any of the lasercut Storm Raven foams. I guess I will either try one of Feldherr's customizable foams or try the new GW ones and hope for the best.

How would it fit stuff like the new Bloodthirster or a Heldrake? I have quite a nice case now, but i always struggle with models like those. Rhino's, infantry, and things like dreads or Daemon princes are no problem. Heldrake is.

Also, how is the case itself? Is it sturdy enough to handle a airplane trip for example? 

Wow, I never thought of the new Bloodthirster. Since I am unaware of the exact dimensions... I wouldn't even want to guess. I will say a fully glued Dreadknight is 'iffy', so probably not the answer you were hoping for. The Heldrake is probably a similar footprint to the Stormraven so I would say it's probably going to work with some minor alterations to one foam section and still give you a bit of infantry room.

Thanks for the answers guys. My problem is that my Storm Raven is a conversion using the Chapterhouse kit so it's considerably longer than the normal one, ergo it won't fit in any of the lasercut Storm Raven foams. I guess I will either try one of Feldherr's customizable foams or try the new GW ones and hope for the best.

I wish I would have tried a stormraven at the store, but my best guess is it would be okay. But you wan't be able to stack another foam tray within it, as the big case comes with 4 foam trays, but they kind of insert slightly within one another, but with a model that big you're probably using nearly a whole tray on that one item. The good news is the other 2-3 trays would fit thousands of points... I mean in infantry.

The big case is the best deal.... as far as that case is concerned I think it was built very rugged and almost seems as if made for plane travel with it's sturdy exterior. I'd have no problem using it on a plane trip.

The only problem I have with the case, and it's the same problem I have with every case, is that the only models I need a case for are the obscenely large and detailed ones that won't fit in my regular cases.

Normally, I use a magnetic basing system that is a breeze. Works fine for infantry and vehicles, and particularly well for my WHFB collections where all the units just live on their movement trays.

But moving large, difficult models like Nagash, or the Terrorgheist or Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon or (to a lesser extent) Dreadknights is a pain. They're too large for a conventional case and they have multiple thin, fragile protrusions that prevent them from being packed tightly into a foam case. The GW cases are excellent, and if I was going to buy a foam transportation system again I'd probably buy them, but I don't think they solve my problem of transporting things like Terrorgheists.

Archived