Russian Guard Regiment

Guardsman1275

I was looking for some WWII minitatures when I found these http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/world-war-2/ww2-russian-infantry-28

I love the way these look and was wondering if I could use these as guard minis. I could use rifles for lasguns or take arms off of shock troops. I could use the included LMG's for autocannons? I could also try to fit them into heavy weapon team models. For tanks I could just paint my LRBT's light green and put a red star on the turret.

I found these models for heavy weapons, they are not on round bases, but I could mount them on regular sized bases. this makes the heavy weapons look more like heavy weapons http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/russian-forces/9995-28mm-russian-heavy-weapons so I will have a unique looking guard force that costs less!

You could, although they'd require some conversion work.  For variety, you could look at Warlord Games: Bolt Action.  They make models for pretty much all WW2 "factions" including a good selection of Russian models.  They are also well priced for what you get.

I'd be careful with the Plastic Soldier Company 28mm models as they're resized from 15mm (1:100) scale models.  As such the level of detail isn't as good as models specifically designed for 28mm.

A point to note is that historical 28mm tends to be a little smaller than GW's "heroic scale" 28mm, so they'll look a little scrawny.  That means they'll look more appropriate next to a Space Marine in terms of scale, but placed next to a standard Guardsman, they'll look a little small.  Also a GW store or GW run event will probably not let you use them, as they won't be "GW models", and they tend to be sticklers for that sort of thing.

If you're OK with that, then there's nothing stopping you.

What would I need to do to convert them, I think that the AT guns look enough like autocannons to the point where trying to convert them would make them look worse. Anyways I live in Hanover NH so there is not a GW store for probably 50+ miles, the closest I have been to being New York. As for the rifles being lasguns I think that they look alot like the preatorian pattern or kreig pattern lasguns.

I know that historic models are smaller, but the bases are the same size, and guardsman models from GW look to big anyways, being around the same hight as a space marine. For tanks should I leave them the same, hellhounds look russian and so do LRBT's  but are there any good alternate models that are the same size that you have seen?

Hey guardsman,I've some experience with wargames factory from their vikings range. The figures are a bit bigger than most 28mm but overall still skinnier than your avg cadian but would do fine on the table top. There's lots of 3rd party las guns out there, mad robot and victoria miniatures do some nice ones.

I do not plan to buy special lasguns because of the cost. I think that their rifles will be fine, but if they come and look horrible I can buy some custom lasguns. Are wargames factory miniatures good, they are cheap but I was wondering if the quality is very low along with the price?

Also my FLGS sels heavy weapons team bases that I can use for the russian weapons. Do you think that these models will look enough like guard it I use the included weapons? I do not want it to look like a russian infantry group standing next to warhammer tanks. Do you think they will blend in? I am taking wyverns hellhounds and LR demo's

what 40k bits do you think I should add, this is the first time I have tried something like this and do not know where to start, could one bit to add be a chainsword in the officers off hand? what should I do about voxes and melta's?

Nothing too fancy, you could just give them the pouch and water bits and the odd helmet on helmetless models and that'd go a long way. Voxes can just be glued to the backs of models and the classic weapon swap always works - so long as you can find a suitable base model.

actually I can use the provided LMG's as meltaguns, while they do not look a ton like them melta models are 12$ a piece and I am not paying that mush for one bit I will use. as for voxes I can glue the one's I have onto the mini's I will have to be careful though. Actually now that I look at them again they do not look that far off from guard. I like them as an alternative to the cadian and catachan models, which are not my cup of tea.

I could also just put skulls on everything laugh.png how do you think I should, if at all change my vehicles? They do not look very valhallan. For anyone that knows uniforms they are their summer uniforms. In fact they look more steel legion than anything, but that does not really fit the theme of my list, so puting gas masks on them wouldn't really work. The heavy weapons I will be using will probably be a little small and look kind of different but the glory of warhammer is that I can just make up a regiment and say that they have different pattern weapons than most guard. I am very excited about the models, though it will probably be a while until I get them, if they turn out very well I may post them on this thread or start another thread on the forum.

well I do not have the time or money to do this for a while, but I should have some of the models by june and I will post pictures on this thread and open a new thread on the forum once, in the very distant future, I get all my stuff painted. Do you like the models, do you think that the weapons, both rifles and heavy weapons, look 40k enough to put on the tabletop?

I definitely like the bolt action 28mm models, and I also agree that they're a bit scrawny when compared to GW's 28mm models.  They look fantastic, though, I'm going to start painting those shortly.  The variety is great, everything from finnish ski infantry to some kind of Indian auxiliaries in cowboy hats fighting for Britain in Burma!

I have my final plans

I will use the long barreled version for a lascannon and the short barreled version for a autocannon http://www.hobbybunker.com/products/28mm-russian-45mm-anti-tank-gun-ww2g28001

I will replace the weapons on these models for cadian lasguns http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/world-war-2/ww2-russian-infantry-28

for painting I will paint the uniforms kakhi the sholder pads and helmets a lighter green. I will paint the guns green and silver. I will paint the heavy weapons dark grey. Vehicles I will paint a lighter green, in a similar shade as the helmets

tell me what you think of my plans

Archived