World eaters 2250 - Final list (Now with added tactics!)

Fangbanger

Oh WW re-opening.... You cruel temptress......

I am now the proud owner of:

25 despoilers

25 chain axes

2 apothecaries

1 venator

And a spartan.....

:cuss yeah! heresy begins!!!

Edit: oh and Khârn!

Hi Fangbanger, I couldn't resist registering and posting after seeing your thread - I think I'm going to the same event in August (Imperial Truth in Cardiff, right?) with my own World Eaters! My own army corresponds with Triacom's advice - load up on the guns and force the enemy towards your combat units. I've had a lot of success with this strategy - if my opponent concentrates his fire on my Despoilers (led by a Chaplain), he's going to suffer from my guns. Alternatively, if he doesn't whittle that enormous squad of madmen down (and obviously there's a Medic in there), they'll axe him in the face. 

I like all three of your lists - they look very tough and killy. The plasma squad is good against Primarchs/Termiantors Death Stars whilst the Deredeo is excellent against aircraft. I guess it depends what you think you're going to face.  One thing to note though - if it is the Imperial Truth event you're playing in, they're using the full Age of Darkness rules, which means that only your Troops units can claim objectives. This may not bother you as a World Eater player though!

Hi Fangbanger, I couldn't resist registering and posting after seeing your thread - I think I'm going to the same event in August (Imperial Truth in Cardiff, right?) with my own World Eaters! My own army corresponds with Triacom's advice - load up on the guns and force the enemy towards your combat units. I've had a lot of success with this strategy - if my opponent concentrates his fire on my Despoilers (led by a Chaplain), he's going to suffer from my guns. Alternatively, if he doesn't whittle that enormous squad of madmen down (and obviously there's a Medic in there), they'll axe him in the face. 

I like all three of your lists - they look very tough and killy. The plasma squad is good against Primarchs/Termiantors Death Stars whilst the Deredeo is excellent against aircraft. I guess it depends what you think you're going to face.  One thing to note though - if it is the Imperial Truth event you're playing in, they're using the full Age of Darkness rules, which means that only your Troops units can claim objectives. This may not bother you as a World Eater player though!

So how do you go about this approach with your lists? What do you implement that makes them effective at shooting but deadly in combat? Do you meet any really issues with your tactics?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but at 1500 points I have a huge Despoiler unit led by a Chaplain and an Apothecary rushing towards the enemy. These guys get Fearless, Hatred, Rage and if they kill a unit, Furious Charge. They are devastating against most things (the Chaplain and Sergeant also have Melta Bombs). As they're fearless they don't have to worry about morale tests from shooting. They're supported by Contempor Mortis with Assault Cannons, a Thudd Gun, another Tactical Squad in a Rhino (for objective grabbing), a meltagun support squad in a Rhino, attack bikes with autocannons, jetbikes, a Javelin attack speeder and Volkite Heavy support troops.

As Triacom said, if your opponent holds back to avoid the whirling blob of death, he cedes the board to you. If he comes forwards, you give him the axe and gunishment. I should point out that World Eaters Attack Bikes and Jetbike act as both firepower and combat units. They have two attacks each, bolt pistol and chainaxe and Rage (and Furious Charge after a kill) - they're amazing at picking off small units!

Now obviously at games this size, I don't need to worry about Typhons - these will really ruin my day at larger sizes. I'm resigned to taking one turn of shooting from them, but I plan on adding Melta Bombs to all the bikes and adding a Contemptor with Chainfist in a Drop Pod. Something's bound to survive to get into combat, right?!

Fangbanger seems to be going a similar way with his Despoilers (led by Khârn!) backed up by a Venator - I wholeheartedly approve!

Ok so the use of jetbikes, bikes, and speeders, I haven't test played with any of them yet...to concede to Triacom I tried a smoewhat similar idea to what he was saying earlier, and what you are describing now, except still using the list I had come up with a while ago, and it is working well, the fire raptor, deredeo, and spartan do quite a lot to apply some pretty good pressure as I moved slowly into tactical positions and it worked out well...wasn't as fluffy as my usual approach, but can work 

I recognise that username @captintaelos.... We met at vanquish but being how busy it was I'm sure you won't remember. I'm on the vanguard as relentless136 and Toby on the Facebook group

Anyway, hijack away! I kind of like how this thread has turned out in being an aid to my list building as well as a place for combined tactics and WE knowledge that is far superior to mine!

Jetbik s and speeders where something I looked at howeevere I am not keen on the aesthetics (or the price!) so was never going to go that route. The ability to take grav in a speeder is quite nice though! And the speed of attack from bikes very beneficial to WE

Edit; also your army looks pretty sick captain! Hats off

Wow, it is a small world, isn't it! Sorry, I was very busy that day running Vanquish and spoke to so many people! I hope you had a great weekend though.

Thanks for the compliments on my World Eaters! Looking forward to getting them all finished, including a Deredeo, the latest addition.

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, June 2, 2015 - Ot, dead horse
Hidden by Flint13, June 2, 2015 - Ot, dead horse

So something I recently learned about the World Eaters is that they can get Chainaxes for free, so long as they have ACCESS to a Chainsword.  Yes it's in the rulebook and I was aware of it but that didn't click with me until I saw somebody else mentioned, for some reason I always thought you had to buy the Chainswords first but that's actually not the case.  

This means your tactical blobs are now 20-40 points cheaper than everyone else's tactical blobs (thanks to not needing to buy the CCW's) while having far better damage output in melee thanks to Rage (and occasionally AP4 for Mechanicus, Solar Auxilia and the like).  This also goes with what I mentioned earlier, that being the World Eaters already do melee very well so if they want to be semi-competitive they should focus on their ranged game.  Less in line with the fluff, but it'll win you more games overall and I found that kind of strategy more fun to do when I used my Black Templars like that.

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, June 2, 2015 - OT, dead horse
Hidden by Flint13, June 2, 2015 - OT, dead horse
This is actually false I'm afraid. Both common sense and forgeworld say so. This is the end of the discussion here in this thread as it's been done already.
Posted · Hidden by Flint13, June 2, 2015 - OT, dead horse
Hidden by Flint13, June 2, 2015 - OT, dead horse

This is actually false I'm afraid. Both common sense and forgeworld say so. This is the end of the discussion here in this thread as it's been done already.

My mistake, I haven't emailed FW about it but I'm willing to take your word for it.  I do wish they'd get proofreaders someday, reminds me of when I asked them if Mechanicus characters could join units before the game started since they didn't have the Independent Character rule (they'd only be incapable of leaving said unit or joining another during the game), and their reply was "Good question... We don't know.  House rule it (as in come to an agreement with your opponent) until the next book or the next FAQ."

Archived