IHF's Archive: Sketching the Heresy - The Manufactorum

It's been a long time coming, but here's the Subjugator illustration pretty much finished pre-shading - there's the backpack and a few more details left to do, but after that shading should be pretty quick:

gallery_53779_9225_90274.jpg

The Mk IV plate has hints of the Mk V armour the WE are shown wearing a load in Collected Visions, and the gorget is inspired by this which is in turn based off some John Blanche art. Plus, you might notice something....familiar about the kill tally on his left forearm :P

Anyhow, hope you like him so far

• 2 weeks later...

Subjugators are almost done, but thought I'd give you a heads up of what'll be coming next - originally these guys were called the Arendi Chosen (based of the Arendi bodyguard from Collected Visions), but I realised that Arendi was the Commander of Corax's bodyguard the 'Shadow Wardens', so that didn't really work considering A] I've got a pretty distinct vision for how these guys'll look, which doesn't really conform to a stealthy vibe, & B] I'd already figured out their background. 

Anyway, this isn't 100% because I'm mainly doing the illustration based off an image I have in my mind, rather than a particular speciality

RAVEN GUARD GALLOVAX CHOSEN:

Having a primarily ceremonial purpose at their inception, the Gallovax Chosen were formed to act as a rank of honour for those officers displaced during Corax’s restructuring of his Legion, Terrans whose disposition did not suit the new direction in which the Primarch was leading the Raven Guard. However, as much as the Raven Guards’ assaults relied on stealth strikes and hit-and-run attacks, many engagements required diversionary deployments for these tactics to truly succeed, providing high-value targets as bait for ambushes or to draw out the heaviest opposition.

In this role the Gallovax found new purpose, forming the retinues of those Legion Commanders tasked with drawing their enemy’s ire, fighting relentlessly for the honour of their Legion, steadfast in the face of overwhelming opposition. Often, the Gallovax’s role as guardians at the heart of a greater plan found them within the delegations sent by the XIXth Legion to proffer peaceful compliance, silently waiting to deliver Corax’s pre-determined condemnation as the Legions’ warriors gradually closed the net around civilizations already judged corrupt.

Gallovax Chosen:   WS: 5   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 2   Ld: 8   Sv: 2+

Gallovax Paradigm:   WS: 5   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 2   I: 4   A: 2   Ld: 9   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

* 2 Gallovax Chosen

* 1 Gallovax Paradigm

Unit Type:

* Gallovax Chosen: Infantry

* Gallovax Paradigm: Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

* Artificer armour

* Single Raven’s Talon

* Charnabal Sabre

* Bolt pistol

* Frag and krak grenades

* Legion Standard (Gallovax Paradigm only)

Special Rules:

* Legiones Astartes (Raven Guard)

* Chosen Warrior

* Counter-Attack

* Fearless

* Retinue

Options:

* The Raven Guard Gallovax Chosen may take:

- Up to 2 additional Gallovax Chosen

* The entire unit may take melta bombs

* Any model in the unit may exchange their bolt pistol for:

- Volkite Serpenta

* If the Legion Praetor or special character the unit is accompanying is equipped with a Jump   Pack, then the entire unit may select Jump Packs, but may no longer take a Dedicated Transport.

Dedicated Transport:

* A Raven Guard Gallovax Chosen unit may choose a Legion Rhino, Land Raider Proteus, Land Raider Phobos or a Darkwing Storm Eagle as a Dedicated Transport.

Brilliant work as always IHF. Still on the look out for FW to official-ise some of your sicaran variants as was mentioned at the open day.

Have you ever considered doing an Alpha legion character that allows you to change your mutable tactics on the fly. Maybe successful ld checks with penalties based on distance?

To me it makes sense to have plans upon plans upon plans that the AL could switch between depending on the situation.

Keep up the great work as always. Wish i had your creative mind.

Again, as I'm aware that I tend to continually post random stuff without images, here's the concept sketch for the Gallovax (working title):

med_gallery_53779_9225_319431.jpg

And, yes, I did pretty much just think it'd be cool to have some RG veterans with feather capes & armour decorated with highly polished geometric, metal plates :P

Brilliant work as always IHF. Still on the look out for FW to official-ise some of your sicaran variants as was mentioned at the open day.

Have you ever considered doing an Alpha legion character that allows you to change your mutable tactics on the fly. Maybe successful ld checks with penalties based on distance?

To me it makes sense to have plans upon plans upon plans that the AL could switch between depending on the situation.

Keep up the great work as always. Wish i had your creative mind.

I'm still a bit blown away by the idea of FW even looking at those Sicaran concepts for reference to be honest :P

I'm always considering doing standalone characters for all of the Legions - some of the stuff in Collected Visions would make useful inspiration, plus I just really enjoy drawing faces :biggrin.:

One direction I think it'd be cool to take in terms of an AL character would be a Librarian of some kind, as I'd imagine the XXth Legion would find them very useful - the mutable tactics thing would be cool for such a character, considering you could give it a precognition vibe

With the preview of the Dark Angels upgrade in this week's FW bulletin, I thought I'd share a concept sketch for Heresy-era Angels (plus a decent quality scan of the RG honour guard concept):

gallery_53779_9225_1578.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_1465612.jpg

I'm planning on doing concepts like these for all of the unit's I've got planned (and some other stuff) because I'm aware that it tends to be a pretty lengthy period between the full quality illustrations, and it's a really useful stage for pinning down concepts

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

I just want to know where the BA love is?!?

Looks awesome though.

Those I Legion sketches are killer. The more pronounced gorget/collar on the Mk. II Marine is kind of reminiscent of jousting armor or something similar.

It's all about inspiration really - the DA stuff is basically a result of me finishing the Witcher 3, during which I was constantly experimenting with ideas of how to incorporate different armour features into Astartes warplate. Plus, I'm a huge fan of asymmetrical clothing / armour, so the gorget just had to happen at some point :P

So, basically - if I find appropriate inspiration, sure I'll do some Blood Angels, but there's been nothing yet (also, for BA / SW / DA, it might be a while - until they actually have some FW Heresy fluff out, I still have a bit of a mental block when it comes to them 'cause of 40k over-theming).

Anyway, glad you like the stuff so far

those DA sketches are super cool still power armour but very knightly armour with out being templars or fists i love them send them to forge world with a resume bro the heresy needs you

Thanks - thankfully there's loads of knightly imagery to draw from outside of the crusades / knights templar, so differentiating them from the Fists wasn't too hard

I have been told that FW are keeping an eye on these threads, so that's probably the best you'll get :P - aside from the fact they aren't advertising for new staff, I've got 3 years left of my Degree, so anything outside of freelance / part time stuff would be A] unworkable & B] unbelievably, incredibly unlikely 

A lil' while ago I expressed some interest in exploring each Legion's Auxilia troops, and what with how quickly I can churn out these concept sketches, I thought now would be a perfect time to make a start.

So without further ado, here's some stuff I did recently to flesh out the Emperor's Children Auxiliary force, the Archite Palatines:

gallery_53779_9225_980560.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_31966.jpg

IHF!

these

Archite Paladines

are

sooooo

awesome

*_* now, any ideas how to represent them on the tabletop xD?

Edited by Atia

They remind me a lot of the Death Korps of Krieg commander figure as he has a similar breastplate and helm. I don't think it would be too difficult to modify the gas mask into the metal face plate, but... that's just 1 figure in a very specific pose with a leather jacket hung on his shoulders.

I'd say your best bet for those helmets (that I can think of at this moment) would be the AdMech Skitarii Vanguard helmets, the plain ones like these or the helmeted heads from the Warriors of Chaos Slaanesh Hellstrider cavalry here.

P.S. Perhaps an Archite Paladine Elite Squad could have more elaborate, ornate helms like these?

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Those Dark Angel sketches are awesome man! I wish I had seen this earlier!!!

It's too bad they haven't made something like the half gorget on the mkII armor....it sounds like something that needs to be done by a 1st legion collector! I only wish we knew one about these parts...;)

Consider those styles jacked once I can figure out how to sculpt properly.

IHF!

these

Archite Paladines

are

sooooo

awesome

*_* now, any ideas how to represent them on the tabletop xD?

Haha, thanks Atia - uhhh, well rules-wise, a Militia army with the Warrior Elite & Gene-Crafted provenances based around Grenadiers in Arvus Lighters would work - on the other hand, a similarly styled Solar Auxilia force would probably be equally viable :biggrin.: 

They remind me a lot of the Death Korps of Krieg commander figure as he has a similar breastplate and helm. I don't think it would be too difficult to modify the gas mask into the metal face plate, but... that's just 1 figure in a very specific pose with a leather jacket hung on his shoulders.

I think that Tempest Scions would be a good base.  From there use the helmets from the Solar Auxilla command squad and Legate Marshal.  Add imperial eagles to the breastplates.

I'd say your best bet for those helmets (that I can think of at this moment) would be the AdMech Skitarii Vanguard helmets, the plain ones like these or the helmeted heads from the Warriors of Chaos Slaanesh Hellstrider cavalry here.

P.S. Perhaps an Archite Paladine Elite Squad could have more elaborate, ornate helms like these?

I have to admit, I didn't really consider modelling concerns when I was making the designs, but everything you've suggested seems appropriate

Apologies for any inconvenience :P

It's too bad they haven't made something like the half gorget on the mkII armor....it sounds like something that needs to be done by a 1st legion collector! I only wish we knew one about these parts...:wink:

Haha, I look forward to it - oh, and concepts for the Caliban Jaegers will be on their way soon

It's too bad they haven't made something like the half gorget on the mkII armor....it sounds like something that needs to be done by a 1st legion collector! I only wish we knew one about these parts...;)

Haha, I look forward to it - oh, and concepts for the Caliban Jaegers will be on their way soon

Have I mentioned I love you lately? :P I imagine the Jaegers to be in a field green uniform but I have no idea what their plates would be colored if you were walking down the solar auxilia route of armor.

If I could ask but a small, humble favor...I was looking at how best to build that mkII command squad guy with the half gorget with plasticard and green stuff (it will happen, or the Lion doesn't wear green underwear). I was wondering if you would be willing to finish out the rest of that sketch and draw him with a giant knecht messer (a two handed falchion) similar to the one Eredin of the wild hunt in witcher 3 wields. I think it would look pretty damn cool.

Ironically I'm making everything more Germanic now :D

Edited by depthcharge12

It's too bad they haven't made something like the half gorget on the mkII armor....it sounds like something that needs to be done by a 1st legion collector! I only wish we knew one about these parts...:wink:

Have I mentioned I love you lately? :tongue.: I imagine the Jaegers to be in a field green uniform but I have no idea what their plates would be colored if you were walking down the solar auxilia route of armor.

If I could ask but a small, humble favor...I was looking at how best to build that mkII command squad guy with the half gorget with plasticard and green stuff (it will happen, or the Lion doesn't wear green underwear). I was wondering if you would be willing to finish out the rest of that sketch and draw him with a giant knecht messer (a two handed falchion) similar to the one Eredin of the wild hunt in witcher 3 wields. I think it would look pretty damn cool.

Ironically I'm making everything more Germanic now :biggrin.:

Hate to say it, but doing more work on those DA concepts is pretty unlikely - the point of the style is to be a much quicker alternative to the more detailed illustrations as a means of getting some ideas down onto paper, and the MkII concept was never intended to be a full-body sketch, having been partially inspired by the fact that the Ultras got an 'Invictarii' torso / head upgrade set.

That said, there may be a point at which I do a more detailed illustration of a DA centurion / consul based off the style of the MkII veteran / officer concept, so there may be hope yet :P   

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, some concepts for the Caliban Jaegers - with their armour I was trying for a Medieval Men-at-arms vibe, to counterpart the DA's knightly theme - hope you like em'

gallery_53779_9225_1011709.jpg