IHF's Archive: Sketching the Heresy - The Manufactorum

This Again?

Before someone complains about me bombarding the Age of Darkness forum with threads, I'll say that this thread is a direct result of my decision to retire the "IHF's HH Designs" thread.

Basically, with the investment in a graphics tablet, I'm now able to expanad the media I can work in - namely, creating images from scratch - and I'm hoping to explore a number of avenues for creating new images all around the setting of the Heresy.

Very Important Stuff:

A massive thank you to:

Dominic Oedinger

Rachel Pierce

Rhys Pugh

Paul Rudge

Ian Strickland

who provide the amazing talent to bring to life the 30k universe we know and love.

Obviously I also want to thank the writers who create the framework in which these artists work, which spans the pantheon of BL and FW writers.

What's This Thread for, Anyway?

This'll basically be where I compile any artwork I'm involved with, so that includes line drawings & sketches. If there are relevent rules associated with the image(s) from over on my HH rules thread, I'll post them with the finished image(s).

My intention is to keep the 1st couple of posts updated with new stuff as I post it, so there's a single point of reference for all this stuff, but it might seem a little empty for a while as it gets started.

....Sorry:

I just wanna say straight off the bat, that I don't take requests, and I don't do commisions.

This is partly because of the amount of requests I get for this kinda stuff, and partly because of the time it actually takes to produce a design that's up to the standard I'm happy with - I've got my own plans / narrative for the designs I do, and even if I did take requests, I'd encounter the problem of selecting which ones I'd want to do whilst avoiding any kind of favoritism. 

Plus, this is a hobby for me, and the time I spend on it waxes and wanes depending primarily on how much I have to focus on my Degree, amongst other things - the time I do spend making new artwork is best spent if I'm really enthusiastic about a project.

Now, occasionally in the past, I have included factions designed by other members of the board amongst the work, but that's primarily if I'm being lazy - ultimately, I don't have to make new background or design new insignia because I get to draw from other users' crazy imaginations. This is pretty rare, becuase I have ideas for pretty much all of the different 30k factions, and the faction in question has to fit into the narrative I've got planned.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

This Again?

Before someone complains about me bombarding the Age of Darkness forum with threads, I'll say that this thread is a direct result of my decision to retire the "IHF's HH Designs" thread.

I have no complaints. Do you want the other thread locked?

Rebirth is necessary, at times, to keep alight the imagination. The goal is to enjoy, and if this path suits your needs to reach such fuffilment, I think I speak for us all by saying we support you 100%. You just keep creating these masterpieces, and we'll just keep sitting here drooling. :)

Side note: Still love the Lanius. Gotta make that, one day.  :D

gallery_53779_9225_1919920.jpg

first: yeah, a new, fresh IHF's thread :P

just a little (fluff-bunny) nitpick: i know what you want to achieve with him (a similiar look to FW's phoenix terminators), but according to the later novels (angel exterminatus f. e.), kaeseron wears cataphractii armour :/

This Again?

I have no complaints. Do you want the other thread locked?

Thanks for locking the other thread BCK, can't believe it was only about a year ago when I started it :happy.:

Rebirth is necessary, at times, to keep alight the imagination. The goal is to enjoy, and if this path suits your needs to reach such fuffilment, I think I speak for us all by saying we support you 100%. You just keep creating these masterpieces, and we'll just keep sitting here drooling. :smile.:

Side note: Still love the Lanius. Gotta make that, one day. :biggrin.:

Thanks Hyenidae, that means a lot - it just got to the stage where I was tired of directing people to a thread which wasn't really representative of what I want to achieve

I know you have many ideas flotaing in your head, but any plans on returning to X Legion Auxilia forces such as the chainveiled. I find the idea of legions having certain human forces working closely for them fascinating

Well, with the new Wacom Tablet, I'm able to design new units in a way I was never able to do when I was just re-colouring FW's colour profiles - it gives me way more creative freedom. Whilst I think I'll avoid the whole separate army list template for the moment, I'm deifnately up for adding in a few fluffy auxiliary units here and there for the different Legions - Medusan Clanguard units for IH fast attack slots being a definate.

gallery_53779_9225_1919920.jpg

first: yeah, a new, fresh IHF's thread :tongue.:

just a little (fluff-bunny) nitpick: i know what you want to achieve with him (a similiar look to FW's phoenix terminators), but according to the later novels (angel exterminatus f. e.), kaeseron wears cataphractii armour :/

Well, part of the justification for the Tartaros is that I'll probably end up making rules for him as well, and I just can't imagine Kaesoron being Slow and Purposeful. The way I think of it, with their focus on martial perfection, EC officers probably trained with a whole armoury's worth of wargear, and I'd imagine with Tartaros introduced after Cataphractii, the majority of EC assault Termies would have adopted the new variant due to its increased mobility.

That said, I've been pondering how a Cataphractii Kaesoron might look, so what I think I'll do is do a second mock-up in Cataphractii and compare them to see which I prefer. Plus, if I choose the Cataphractii one, I can use the image above for the base of the homebrew Lord Commander of the Phoenix Guard Millenial, who'll get a rule allowing Palantine Guard squads with Phoenix Spears to be taken as troops for funsies.

Damn it Atia, now look what you've done :tongue.:

Cool, will be interesting to see what your going to bring us. Its going to be a shame to loose some of those awesome vehicles in the old thread. Maybe we could have some form of indexed list?

I think all of the vehicles I designed have been moved over to the 30k Vehicles / Automata thread (with the exception of the Land Raider variants, which I'm not particularly fond of). Either way, you can still see all of the images from the old thread on my Gallery here on the B&C - just check out the 'HH' album :thumbsup:

That said, I've been pondering how a Cataphractii Kaesoron might look, so what I think I'll do is do a second mock-up in Cataphractii and compare them to see which I prefer. Plus, if I choose the Cataphractii one, I can use the image above for the base of the homebrew Lord Commander of the Phoenix Guard Millenial, who'll get a rule allowing Palantine Guard squads with Phoenix Spears to be taken as troops for funsies.

maw, i guess i'll do models for both (Kaeseron and the PG commander) one day ...

damn it IHF, now look what you've done to my paint schedule :biggrin.:

honestly, can't wait to see your concepts :)

Aaand the Cataphractii version:

med_gallery_53779_9225_1027750.jpg

(I need to edit the perspective on the back leg, but you get the general idea)

Not gunna lie, I actually prefer the Cataphractii (...thanks Atia :happy.: ) - the more imposing suit seems kinda appropriate for the ostentation & pride of an EC 1st Captain, so this is the version I'll stick with

Thanks y'all, progress on Kaesoron is going pretty well, but on a break in drawing, I thought I'd outline the fluff for the Lord-Commander of the Phoenix Guard:

LORD-COMMANDER CEPHAS OCTAVIUS

High-Prefector of the Phoenix Guard, Shield of the Phoenican, Martyr of Henshal

Savagely maimed during the compliance of Henshal accepting a blow intended to cripple his Primarch, Prefector-Centurion Octavius endured months of excruciating gene-grafting and tissue regeneration at the hands of Chief Apothecary Fabius, refusing internment within the sarcophagus of a Dreadnought lest he be denied the privilege of fighting beside his gene-father once more. Espoused by his brothers as a paragon of dutiful service despite his grim demenour, Octavius received much favour from Fulgrim for his self-sacrifice, adopting the mantle of Lord-Commander of the Phoenix Guard Millenial when his predecessor was slain alongside dozens of his elite Legionaries at the hands of the capricious Eldar on the world of Tarsus.

Utterly devoted to the Phoenican, Octavius heedlessly followed his liege into treachery, swiftly and mercilessly ending many threats to Fulgrim’s life throughout the course of the Heresy. Said to have become increasingly withdrawn and callous as the brutalities of the galactic war multiplied, Octavius committed numberless atrocities in his Primarch’s name, obediently launching into murderous action at the merest whisper from his master.

And uh, I kinda couldn't help it, so here are his rules as they currently stand:

Cephas Octavius:   WS: 6   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 3   I: 5   A: 3   Ld: 10   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

* 1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

* Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

* Terminator armour

* Chemos’ Judgement

* Master-crafter volkite charger

* Vigil

Special Rules:

* Independent Character

* Master of the Legion

* Fearless

* Feel no Pain (6+)

* Legiones Astartes (Emperor’s Children)

* Sudden Strike

* Phoenican’s Shield

* High-Prefector

Warlord Trait:

* Coordinated Assault

Phoenican’s Shield:

If Fulgrim the Illuminator is in the same detachment as Octavius, then as long as the two models are in the same unit, any Look Out Sir! rolls made for Fulgrim may be re-rolled, and when fighting in a challenge, all of Octavius’ attacks gain the Shred Special Rule.

High–Prefector:

As long as Octavius is the detachment’s Warlord, Palantine Blades Squads may be selected as Troops as well as Elites – however, such units taken as Troops must all purchase Phoenix Spears. Additionally, any Phoenix Terminator Squad Octavius joins gains the Counter-Attack Special Rule.

Chemos’ Judgement:

Crafted for the direly wounded Prefector-Centurion in tribute to his service by none other than the Phoenican himself, Chemos’ Judgement is an exquisitely wrought Phoenix Spear forged from the shattered remnants of Octavius armour after his sacrifice on Henshal, perfectly balanced and flawlessly detailed. Chemos’ Judgement has two listed profiles. The first is used when the model wielding it has charged this player turn, otherwise the second is used instead.

Chemos’ Judgement:   Range: -   Str: +1/User   AP: 2/3   Type: Melee, Two-Handed, Murderous Strike, Duellist’s Edge

Vigil:

Both an animate badge of office and potent tool, Vigil was fashioned from one of the largest specimens of the Chemosan Warhawk, fitted with innumerable devices to enhance its function as sentinel for the High-Prefector. Vigil is a Cyber-Familiar with integrated Auspex.

Thanks Kizzdougs - I must admit I find the ECs really interesting, partially due to their utter contrast with the Xth (made even more intriguing by the 2 Legions' somewhat bizarre kinship), and partially because the whole aristocratic hierachy / greek theme is really cool (although that said, I pretty much find all of the Legions' themes interesting).

One thing I'm really eager to do with my new series of character illustrations is explore parts of each Legion's hierachy which are as yet undeveloped. Creating cool characters & rules for them within the restrictions of the setting's themes & canon, as well as balancing them is pretty fun. Stuff like the Xth Legion's 'Iron Father Primus', as well as new units that I haven't really been able to depict is super cool - one example is Kor Phaeron's 'Anointed' Terminators I fleshed out a while ago - now I can do some proper sketches which give me way more creative freedom in terms of how divergent I can make them look from normal termies.

I must admit, one of the things I'm most looking forward to is adding a bit of diversity to Legion characters - escaping the plethora of caucasian Legionaries, considering all Legions at least supplement their intake with recruits drawn from all across the Galaxy. And of course fitting in as many female characters as I can in roles all around the Legions - Princeps, Astropaths, Navigators, Rogue Traders, Solar Auxilia Commanders, Admirals, AdMech Magi, Knight Scions, Legion Specific Auxilia Officers - redressing the balance will be fun.

I must admit, one of the things I'm most looking forward to is adding a bit of diversity to Legion characters - escaping the plethora of caucasian Legionaries, considering all Legions at least supplement their intake with recruits drawn from all across the Galaxy. And of course fitting in as many female characters as I can in roles all around the Legions - Princeps, Astropaths, Navigators, Rogue Traders, Solar Auxilia Commanders, Admirals, AdMech Magi, Knight Scions, Legion Specific Auxilia Officers - redressing the balance will be fun.

awesome! :laugh.:

I really hope that FW starts making rules & models for female characters & mixed gender units. While they've had a few cool female characters in the fluff of their books (e.g the Archmagos in command of the Paramar Nexus), we haven't yet seen that translate into models, and considering there should be a 50/50 gender split for any organisation outside of the Legions, defaulting to male models / characters sucks.

I was kinda on a roll, so here's the ruleset I'll be using for Kaesoron's page (I'll be doing pages with the drawing overlayed with rules in a similar style of FW's downloadable rules)

JULIUS KAESORON:

First Captain of the Emperor’s Children, The Star Ascendant, The Conductor

215 POINTS

Julius Kaesoron:   WS: 6   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 4   W: 3   I: 5   A: 4   Ld: 10   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

* 1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

* Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

* Aeturnum Warplate

* Paragon blade

* Master-crafted lightning claw

* Plasma pistol

* Plasma grenades

* Sonic shrieker

Special Rules:

* Legiones Astartes (Emperor’s Children)

* Independent Character

* Master of the Legion

* Masterful Warrior

* First Among Equals

* Rampage

Warlord Trait:

* Glorious Charge: On a single game turn (chosen by the owning player), the Warlord and all Legiones Astartes (Emperor’s Children) models within 24” gain the Rage Special Rule.

Masterful Warrior:

Kaesoron must always issue and accept challenges in combat where possible, and when fighting challenges may halve his Attack characteristic after modifiers (rounding down) in order to give all his close combat attacks the Fleshbane special rule.

First Among Equals:

If Julius Kaesoron is part of your army he will always be the army’s Warlord, regardless of the Leadership value of other HQ choices unless Fulgrim or Eidolon are also present.

Additionally, any Terminator-armour equipped squad Kaesoron joins before deployment may Deep Strike.

Aeturnum Warplate:

Constructed by the Legion’s greatest artificers from the most precious and resilient materials gathered through the course of the Great Crusade, the Aeturnum Warplate was possibly the finest suit of Cataphractii Tactical Dreadnought Armour within the arsenal of the IIIrd Legion.

The Aeturnum Warplate follows the rules for Cataphractii Terminator Armour, with the following additions. It features a Teleporter Transponder which allows any Emperor’s Children Terminator Squads or Phoenix Terminator Squads in the army which can Deep Strike to do so without scattering so long as they are placed within 6” of Kaesoron when they deploy. Additionally, the Aeturnum Warplate counts as a Legion Vexilla for any unit which Kaesoron joins.