IHF's Archive: Sketching the Heresy - The Manufactorum

Base Attack characteristic doesn't really have a bearing any more; legalese for 7th tends to using "before modifiers" or "after modifiers".

And in regards to Aeturnum Warplate, you might want to clarify that such units entering play via Deep Strike only gain that benefit, rather than it allows such units to Deep Strike, provided that they deploy in there. I know what it means, and so does everyone else, but there's always that one person out there who can spot a potential loophole like that. 

Exemplar of the Legion is a lovely special rule; but Hammer of Wrath is a bit naff; 6 Hammer of Wrath hits to take down a single MEQ once a battle? And Considering the nature of units like Phoenix Terminators, it's even worse, requiring 10 to take down enemy terminators, and that's not including FNP. 

Statwise; holy moly. Rampage and with 6 Attacks on the charge? In a challenge, the potential for 7 Fleshbane AP2 attacks with Instant Death on a 6 is utterly vile, and with I6 charges, he's capable of taking on even the slower Primarchs. Sure, without Instant Death, he's probably mincemeat, but still!

I like that he's a Vexilla as well; Terminators could do with that.

Question regarding First Amongst Equals... Wouldn't Eidolon technically outrank him (since Eidolon is the Lord Commander Primus of the Legion, second only to Fulgrim... at least before everything went bonkers for them)?  Who is in charge when a player takes both?

Base Attack characteristic doesn't really have a bearing any more; legalese for 7th tends to using "before modifiers" or "after modifiers".

And in regards to Aeturnum Warplate, you might want to clarify that such units entering play via Deep Strike only gain that benefit, rather than it allows such units to Deep Strike, provided that they deploy in there. I know what it means, and so does everyone else, but there's always that one person out there who can spot a potential loophole like that. 

Exemplar of the Legion is a lovely special rule; but Hammer of Wrath is a bit naff; 6 Hammer of Wrath hits to take down a single MEQ once a battle? And Considering the nature of units like Phoenix Terminators, it's even worse, requiring 10 to take down enemy terminators, and that's not including FNP. 

Statwise; holy moly. Rampage and with 6 Attacks on the charge? In a challenge, the potential for 7 Fleshbane AP2 attacks with Instant Death on a 6 is utterly vile, and with I6 charges, he's capable of taking on even the slower Primarchs. Sure, without Instant Death, he's probably mincemeat, but still!

I like that he's a Vexilla as well; Terminators could do with that.

Thanks for the feedback Hesh, I'll clean up the wording on the teleporter issue - in terms of the Warlord Trait, the idea I had in mind with the relatively large area of effect & limitation of a single use was the image of a single, unified charge - maybe expanding the area to 24" and instead giving every unit rage to up their ability instead might be more useful?

Yeah Master of the Warrior might be a bit OP - although I'd re-word it so that the 1/2 attacks would be after modifiers (so he'd have max 4 attacks with Fleshbane), maybe removing the rule altogether and instead making his lightning claw fleshbane might rectify the issue of Fleshbane Instant Death, and kinda give him one weapon for hordes, and another for challenges.

Question regarding First Amongst Equals... Wouldn't Eidolon technically outrank him (since Eidolon is the Lord Commander Primus of the Legion, second only to Fulgrim... at least before everything went bonkers for them)?  Who is in charge when a player takes both?

Yeah fair point, I'll re-word it so that it's unless Fulgrim and/or Eidolon are in the army.

Edit: I've altered the original rules for Kaesoron, thanks for the feedback :smile.:

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

A Terminator with a Plasma Pistol? That's interesting :tongue.: can't wait for the drawings!

Well, Octavius gets a Volkite Charger, and Santar is getting an Archeotech Pistol, so he had to be a bit different :P

Julius is about 50% done - got the legs & head left to do, which hopefully I'll get done over the weekend fuelled by post-election rage / satisfaction :biggrin.: 

Yeah, I had an idea about a shoulder-mounted variant of the rotor cannon and uhh...ran with it?

WORLD EATERS SUBJUGATOR SUPPORT SQUAD:

Subjugator:   WS: 4   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 1   Ld: 8   Sv: 3+

Subjugator Alpha:   WS: 4   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 2   Ld: 9   Sv: 3+

Unit Composition:

* 4 Subjugators

* 1 Subjugator Alpha

Unit Type:

* Subjugator: Infantry

* Subjugator Alpha: Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

* Power armour

* Sarum-pattern rotor cannon

* Hand flamer

* Chainaxe

* Frag and krak grenades

Special Rules:

* Legiones Astartes (World Eaters)

* Support Squad

* Hardened Armour

* Red Harvest

Dedicated Transport:

* As long as it numbers no more than 10 models, the squad may choose a Rhino as a Dedicated Transport. Note that if the army contains a character that has one of the Rites of War special rules, other Dedicated Transport options may be available for the squad.

Options:

* The World Eaters Subjugator Support Squad may take:

- Up to 5 additional Subjugators

* The Subjugator Alpha may take any of the following options:

- Exchange their Sarum-pattern rotor cannon for a nuncio-vox

- Exchange their Sarum-pattern rotor cannon for a nuncio-vox and caedere weapon

- Exchange their chainaxe for a power weapon

- Exchange their hand flamer for a plasma pistol

- Augary scanner

- Artificer armour

Red Harvest:

When attacking Infantry units which have already suffered at least one casualty in a previous turn, all of the Subjugators’ ranged attack gain the Shred Special Rule.

Sarum-Pattern Rotor Cannon:

A shoulder mounted variant of the common rotor cannon, the Sarum-pattern exchanges durability for a high-powered motor and dedicated supply of depleted-isotope slugs.

Sarum-Pattern Rotor Cannon:   Range: 30”   Str: 3   AP: 6   Type: Salvo 3/4, Pinning, Rending

You don't really need the transport comment regarding numbering more than 10 models, since you can't have more than 10 in the squad anyway.  The Shoulder Mounted rotor cannon, is that shoulder mounted upon the shoulder pauldron with no-hands-required, or as in held to the shoulder like the standard pre-heresy shoulder mounted heavy weapons requiring both hands?  If it's mounted on the shoulder like the "Predator" gun (from the film), I'd suggest shortening the range since the barrels would be very very short, 'pistol' short if you like.

Hand flamer and chain axe.. nasty :)

You don't really need the transport comment regarding numbering more than 10 models, since you can't have more than 10 in the squad anyway. The Shoulder Mounted rotor cannon, is that shoulder mounted upon the shoulder pauldron with no-hands-required, or as in held to the shoulder like the standard pre-heresy shoulder mounted heavy weapons requiring both hands? If it's mounted on the shoulder like the "Predator" gun (from the film), I'd suggest shortening the range since the barrels would be very very short, 'pistol' short if you like.

Hand flamer and chain axe.. nasty :smile.:

you could make them similar to Valthex's conversionbeamer, mounted on the backpacks, over the shoulder:

gallery_79873_10492_10760.jpg

Nah, the idea with the rotor cannon is that the shoulder-mount follows the same configuration as the majority of heresy-era heavy weapons:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/heavyweapon4.jpg

, but with the fact the rotor cannon is somehwat lighter than other heavy weapons, they tend to use it single-handed, hence the chainaxe & hand flamer. Fluffwise these guys are the ones who 'mop up' after the main WE charge, which explains the rule for Shred vs. units that have already taken casualties.

Yeah with the transport thing, I just followed the entries in FW's books, which tend to have the 'less than 10' clause even when it's irrelevant :happy.:

Right, it's time to get in entirely over my head: this started off as a thought experiment, and then I couldn't resist.

Legion-specific Consuls. Well, we've allready got special Consul choices for Legions such as the Alphas / WBs and I started thinking about ideas for unique consuls for the other Legions:

* Sons of Horus: Lodge Chieftan

Pretty self explanatory, ruleswise they'll give some kind of buff to the surrounding troops (with a chaos-y bent)

* World Eaters: Lanistae

Trainers of the Gladiator pits - they'll have Caedere weapons & make WEs around them run & charge further

* Death Guard: Alchemex

The guys who develop all of the DGs nast concoctions - basically I'll dream up some grizzly bio-alchem wargear

* Emperor's Children: Armiger

Originally, these guys were officers who failed in their duty, so gave up thier name and honours - instead they wear the colours of an officer to whom they are oathsworn, and any achievments they gain are attributed to him. Post-Heresy, they go running to Fabius to overcome their failings, so gamewise they'll basically be chemmed-up monstrosities

* Iron Hands: Ironwrought

Legionaries trained by the Iron Fathers who have a greater affinity for the battlefield than the forge - they buff vehicles & are pretty resilient due to a :censored:-ton of augments

* Night Lords: Maledictor

The most unhinged members of the NL, they're basically set loose upon an enemy to do unspeakable things - basically terror+ & some nasty rules about maiming characters

* Word Bearers: Diabolist - N/A

* Salamanders: Eternal

Those Sallies who have developed basically legendary toughness - they'll be hard to take down & get bonuses to glorius intervention & providing look out sir saves

* Imperial Fists: Castellan

What it says on the tin - bonuses for fortifications, holding objectives & remaining in deployment zone

* Alpha Legion: Saboteur - N/A

* Iron Warriors: Ordnancer

Weaponsmiths - they make all kinds of nasty stuff - give the unit they join special issue ammo, give bonuses to blast weapons

* Raven Guard: Liberator

Kinda Mor Deythan assasains - they're the ones who will lop off a dictator's head from the shadows to ensure compliance - in game, that means stealth, melee buffs, & a bonus for killing a pre-selected character

And yeah, I know it looks like I have a lot on my plate, but a] this is partially just so I have a note of ideas for future reference, & b] while high-detail sketches like Kaesoron are time consuming, I can get through a more basic sketch like the one I did for the Lycus Seekers in roughly a day, so after Julius is finished, I should be able to steamroll a few sketches

Pretty self explanatory, ruleswise they'll give some kind of buff to the surrounding troops (with a chaos-y bent)

a Lodge Chieftan with a Lycus-pet? YES PLEASE!

The guys who develop all of the DGs nast concoctions - basically I'll dream up some grizzly bio-alchem wargear

uhhh, some kind of mad apothecary who develop nasty things instead of heal their brethren? sounds great!

a Lodge Chieftan with a Lycus-pet? YES PLEASE!

uhhh, some kind of mad apothecary who develop nasty things instead of heal their brethren? sounds great!

When I was designing the Lycus Seekers, I did have the intention of allowing any SoH character which can select a Cyber Familiar to take a Cthonian Mongrel, so that's entirely likely

What I'm thinking with the Alchemex is the ability to choose between bio-alchem rounds/grenades for tackling infantry & corrosive versions which weaken vehicles

What it says on the tin - bonuses for fortifications, holding objectives & remaining in deployment zone

This one sounds interesting (and fluffy), specifically the latter two points. As long as the Castellan remains somewhat dynamic and not a one trick pony, I think you might be onto a winner. ;)

This one sounds interesting (and fluffy), specifically the latter two points. As long as the Castellan remains somewhat dynamic and not a one trick pony, I think you might be onto a winner. :wink:

Saul Tarvitz (rule wise) might be a decent place to start for the Castellan (granting couter attack or preferred enemy).  Maybe the objective in the IF Deployment zone is worth double the VP's?

I really like your take on the EC Armiger. 

Do you have any ideas for Consuls for the remaining legions?  Mainly the DA, because I would love to see depthcharge's take on said consul.

Fraid not - the whole idea with this stuff is to stick as close to FW's style & background as possible - without knowing the Legion rules, upgrades, units & aesthetic of the Legions which aren't yet released, I can't really do that - my MO to some extent is that if you couldn't imagine FW producing the unit / rules / design, you won't see it here.

That said, I may do some speculative sketches around as yet un-released Legions - I've already got an idea for a DA armour variant I'd like to experiment with.

This one sounds interesting (and fluffy), specifically the latter two points. As long as the Castellan remains somewhat dynamic and not a one trick pony, I think you might be onto a winner. :wink:

Saul Tarvitz (rule wise) might be a decent place to start for the Castellan (granting couter attack or preferred enemy).  Maybe the objective in the IF Deployment zone is worth double the VP's?

Hmm, possibly - then again, I could even go the other way - with the Castellan on the board, proximity to a single selected objective confers bonuses to friendly units, but if it's captured by the enemy, they get extra VP?

I'll do a decent amount of research on each one and figure them out as I go along.

Santar's rules are up:

GABRIEL SANTAR:

Clan Commander of the Avernii, Iron Captain of the Order Primarii, First Morlock, Equerry to the Gorgon

Gabriel Santar:   WS: 6   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 5   W: 3   I: 4   A: 4   Ld: 10   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

* 1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

* Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

* Morlock’s aegis

* Arclight blades

* Archaeotech pistol

* Grenade harness (unlimited use)

Special Rules:

* Independent Character

* Master of the Legion

* Legiones Astartes (Iron Hands)

* Cybernetic Resilience

* Feel no Pain (5+)

* The Gorgon’s Chosen

* Zealot

* Bulky

Warlord Trait:

* Master of Iron: Any models in the army wearing terminator armour (this includes cataphractii pattern and gorgon pattern) gain the Cybernetic Resilience special rule.

The Gorgon’s Chosen:

If chosen as part of an army, Santar must be the army’s Warlord unless Ferrus Manus is also present (note this does mean he cannot be taken in the same army as Autek Mor).

Morlock’s Aegis:

The pinnacle of Ferrus Manus’ experimentation with Gorgon pattern terminator armour, the Morlock’s Aegis was intended to be the prototype upon which a new generation of tactical dreadnought armour would be based, a plan that would crumble like so many others in the fires of the Heresy. Featuring enhanced energy capacitors and power conduits, the Morlock’s Aegis unleashed the stored energy of incoming attacks in torrents of coruscating lightning, acting both as a defense and weapon. It provides a 2+ armour save and a 4+ invulnerable save, and has the following additional effect.

During any phase in which Santar is forced to make armour and / or invulnerable saves, record the number of wounds saved in that phase. At the end of the phase, any enemy models in base contact with Santar automatically each suffer a number of hits equal to the number of wounds saved, using the following profile to resolve the attacks:

Morlock’s Aegis:   Range: -   Str: 4   AP: 4   Type: Melee, Blind

Arclight Blades:

A pair of unique lightning claws discovered in the depths of Medusa’s half-collapsed techno-vaults, the Arclight blades contain archaeotech of unknown providence, producing an energy field unlike any power weapons produced by the Mechanicum, capable of combusting any organic material given sufficient energy transfer.  

Arclight Blades:   Range: -   Str: +1   AP: 3   Type: Melee, Rending, Shred, Deflagrate, Paired (+1 attack)

It's a Mechanicum rule, but basically the effects are as follows:

Successful wounds made against the unit with weapons with the fleshbane or poisoned type have to be re-rolled, but on a D6 roll of 6, haywire attacks cause an extra wound (can be saved).