IHF's Archive: Sketching the Heresy - The Manufactorum

Those look really cool.

I might have to try and convert some of those grenadiers when I eventually get back to my steel legion.

Oh, rad - I can't imagine collecting Steel Legion is the easiest thing in the world, so that's awesome to hear

Those coloured sketches are awesome ! If these existed as plastic models I'd be sorely tested !

Thanks dude - the fact that you could see them as plastic minis is exactly what I'm going for

Looks like FW was catching on to your Sicaran/tank ideas! Did you see the new punisher/Sicaran/plasma variants? :biggrin.:

Ha, I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but yeah I have seen them. To be honest, I wasn't exactly convinced when I first saw them - I still think the plasma version's guns are a bit too big & not particularly mobile, but I've warmed to the other two, despite initial misgivings about the appropriateness of the missile launcher & the weight distribution on the punisher's weapon mount.

In light of the new Sicaran variants, I'm gonna review my own designs & probably remove a few whose' purpose is now kinda redundant. The three I'm probably keep / refine are the 'Advancer' Scout / Command Transport, I'll be altering the Lanius so it's tri-barreled Volkite Cascade is now a single large weapon that will use the punisher's mount, and an air-defence variant using the new missile launcher twin-mount

Now where are them 9th legion units at? :wink:

No units for legions without official ForgeWorld units.

Which kills me, as I love the fluff for everything IHF's done so far but I need me some black and red Angels.

No need to remove them, they're still great and could simply be a variation on the more prominent design of the others!

I mean, I could keep them, but then again PURGE THE UNCLEAN CONSTRUCTS

Which kills me, as I love the fluff for everything IHF's done so far but I need me some black and red Angels.

Wait, wait, wait. Someone was listening? All these years? Each time I refused requests and explained why I wouldn't be doing something?

I thought this day would never come - honestly, I was pretty sure people only looked at the pictures :wink:

Haha the picture are wonderful but I love the fluff bits behind your work. My blackshields band is composed of Night Lords and Dark Angels who fled Thramas together so there's some Alastor Seekers in the ranks and they're led by a flenser-apothecary, but what about the Dark Angels?

I need Angelus already.

No need to remove them, they're still great and could simply be a variation on the more prominent design of the others!

Wait, wait, wait. Someone was listening? All these years? Each time I refused requests and explained why I wouldn't be doing something?

I thought this day would never come - honestly, I was pretty sure people only looked at the pictures :wink:

You saying this a while back is only reason I haven't been continuously pestering you for BA stuff. I saved the stuff you did do locally and will eventually break out the GS to attempt it.

Haha the picture are wonderful but I love the fluff bits behind your work. My blackshields band is composed of Night Lords and Dark Angels who fled Thramas together so there's some Alastor Seekers in the ranks and they're led by a flenser-apothecary, but what about the Dark Angels?

I need Angelus already.

That's awesome - glad you think they work in the setting, adhering to the style set out in FW's HH books is a pretty significant goal in all this stuff

You saying this a while back is only reason I haven't been continuously pestering you for BA stuff. I saved the stuff you did do locally and will eventually break out the GS to attempt it.

Huh, that sounds awesome - let me know whenever you give that a go

Ah sorry man, my bad. Well when you get to them I'm excited for it!

Nah, I was just kidding dude - I know this thread can be a bit of a PITA to find stuff in, so don't worry about it

Waiting for Angelus is kinda essential for this stuff, considering how much it's informed by the FW Books & the ways they present & detail the Legions - with the tendency to put different spins on themes we're familiar with, they open up entirely new avenues for exploration

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey folks, for anyone who doesn't follow my vehicle design thread, I'll be going on a bit of a design hiatus:

Hey folks, said I'd keep y'all updated on how the job application was progressing, and today I got word that my application has been declined.

I'm not super surprised, this was always a bit on a wing & a prayer. It does however mean that I'll likely stop putting time into designs like these, or do them *very* occasionally - previously I could justify the time expenditure as being portfolio work for future job applications but from now on I'll really have to dedicate the time to commission works and less specific portfolio stuff, as this route into concept art seems pretty firmly closed to me now.

Anyway, thanks for following my stuff over the years, it's been really encouraging to see people enjoying my work, and probably helped me make the final decision to try for a career in art after I'd firmly turned away from it.

I'll keep these threads open, cause there's a *chance* I'll eventually do more stuff that's relevant to them, but either way, thanks for all the kind words over the years

I'm sorry to hear that bro. You'll definitely be missed around here. I know that your work has inspired a lot of people over the years, so thank you for everything that you've done and thank especially for sharing it with us :)

Wishing you all the best for the future :tu:

Thanks Kizz, that's real nice to hear - I'll still be about on the forum, I just won't really be doing designs like these much, but I'm sure I'll use it as a creative outlet every now & then. Might even give me a chance to work on my homebrew Clan's background article now that they're (...maybe :wink:  ) canon

Either way, I'll see ya 'round :happy.:

• 1 month later...

Accidentally did some concept sketches when i was bereft of my graphics tablet & therefore had to do some traditional art - idle doodles ended up as some designs for the Emperor's Children Sun-Killer Devastators I did rules / background for a while back, really just 'cause EC armour is pretty fun to draw and it was cool to apply their styling to some MkII:

gallery_53779_9225_1538226.png

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

• 2 months later...

i think you have some great ideas, if you put some kind of kickstarter or crowdfunding i'll hope to contribute once i get some income.

"Then I consider reports of some stuff Tony Cottrell said at the last HH weekender and ask if I could ever justify working under someone who thinks it’s okay to spout that sort of horrendous garbage."

i'm unfamiliar with this, what did Tony Cottrell say hat was so awful?

i think you have some great ideas, if you put some kind of kickstarter or crowdfunding i'll hope to contribute once i get some income.

"Then I consider reports of some stuff Tony Cottrell said at the last HH weekender and ask if I could ever justify working under someone who thinks it’s okay to spout that sort of horrendous garbage."

lokkorex, PMing you on the side so not to derail the thread.

Also somewhat curious about this. Mind send in me a PM as well?

On topic, you have soem great ideas for sure IHF. I def plan on commissioning some pieces, and love how much adding more diversity to the universe is so important to you. I've said it before, but as a person of color, seeing people that look like you is really nice!

Hey, everyone, thanks for the positive responses! I'm still keen to investigate the Crowdfunding option, although at this point my main concern is whether there's enough interest to make it viable.

With that in mind, my next step will be producing a couple of 'proof of concept' PDFs to demonstrate the kind of work I'm talking about (plus, seeing how long they take wil help me break down what amount of content would be viable at different funding levels) - I'm currently pretty busy with my end of Masters project and setting up freelance infrastructure, but they'll be what I'm working on in the immediate future :happy.:

Do you suppose you might knock up rules for Horus Aximand sometime? Been rereading Little Horus and I got a little fonder of him after realising he's a rare sword-and-board fighter in the Legions.

Depending on the funding level, I'd definitely want to work on a series for less major Characters, maybe having a monthly character that funders would be able to vote on / nominate, so Aximand would certainly be in the running 

Thanks Lokkorex, that's really kind :biggrin.:

Also somewhat curious about this. Mind send in me a PM as well?

On topic, you have soem great ideas for sure IHF. I def plan on commissioning some pieces, and love how much adding more diversity to the universe is so important to you. I've said it before, but as a person of color, seeing people that look like you is really nice!

Thanks Vazzy, that's amazing to hear (on both accounts!). As a member of the queer community, I'm part of a less visible minority demographic, but I super appreciate how valuable representation is for people from all walks of life (and hell, even if I wasn't, diversity is still central to my values).

I'm really keen to feature women, disabled characters, queer characters and people of colour in the art associated with this project, and the character series is the most obvious place to make that happen, but it'll also be a central consideration to any non-vehicle unit profiles I do artwork for.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic