IHF's Archive: Sketching the Heresy - The Manufactorum

Here ya go:

CONSUL TYPE: SONS OF HORUS LODGE CHIEFTAIN:

Initially formed to emulate the warrior fraternities of the Davinite Priests, the Warrior Lodges which flourished within the Sons of Horus Legion acted both to divine which Legionaries would walk willingly into open sedition with the Warmaster, and also as a vector through which the dark influence of the Ruinous Powers could corrupt the Legion. As their importance within the Legion’s internal culture grew, so did the status of those who had championed their adoption, with Lodge Chieftains amassing large followings of loyal brethren who would be the first to fall prey to the taint of Chaos as the Heresy was unleashed upon the Imperium.

Wargear:

* Power weapon

* May not take a Bike, Jetbike or Terminator armour

Special Rules:

* Dark Brotherhood: A Lodge Chieftain must join a Legion Tactical, Assault, Veteran, or Reaver squad before deployment, any may not leave the unit throughout the duration of the game (note that if the unit is equipped with Jump packs, the Lodge Chieftain must also do so). If the Lodge Chieftain and the unit they have joined wipes out an enemy unit in close combat, every model in the unit gains a 6+ invulnerable save for the rest of the game, and all of the unit's close combat attacks are Poisoned for the same duration.

* Tainted Ascension: For every character a Lodge Chieftain kills in a challenge, in all subsequent turns their unit gains +1 to combat resolution.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

CONSUL TYPE: EMPEROR’S CHILDREN ARMIGER:

The rank of Armiger within the IIIrd Legion was ever one of dark repute. When an officer of the Legion had committed an intolerable failure of duty, he would be stripped of all status and honours, his name and colours surrendered in subservience to one of the Legion’s Commanders, to whom any acts of valour enacted in repentance would be attributed. As the Heresy plunged the Emperor’s Children into the depths of corruption and depravity, the title of Armiger was too twisted, with any such deviants instead surrendered to the care of Chief Apothecary Fabius, whose ‘improvements’ would change them utterly into monstrosities capable only of violence.  

Wargear:

* May not take a boarding shield, power fist, thunder hammer, Bike, Jetbike or Terminator armour.

Special Rules:

* Lone Killer

* Blood Tinctures: At the start of each turn, the Blood Tinctures can be used by rolling a D6 and consulting the following table:

1. Organ Failure: The Armiger permanently decreases their Toughness value by 1
  2. Necrosis: All attacks made against the Armiger gain the Poisoned rule for the remainder of the turn.
  3. Metabolite Stimulus: All of the Armiger’s close combat attacks gain the Rending special rule for the remainder of the turn.
  4. Pain Synthesesia: For each wound the Armiger has lost, they gain an additional D3 Attacks this turn.
  5. Neural Surge: For the remainder of the turn, the Armiger gains the effects of the Precognition psychic power.
  6. Mitotic Elevation: The Armiger gains the It Will Not Die special rule for the remainder of the turn.

And he's finally done - this image is only about 1/4 of the size of the original, but until I get a DeviantArt account, I'm restricted by the file / image sizes of the B&C uploader.

Anyway, hope you like him (the image is far less blurry if you click on it)

Full-res image (courtesy of the Heresy30k uploader)
JULIUS KAESORON:http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/uploads/gallery/album_192/gallery_2243_192_5679010.png

First Captain of the Emperor’s Children, The Star Ascendant, The Conductor

215 POINTS

Julius Kaesoron:   WS: 6   BS: 5   S: 4   T: 4   W: 3   I: 5   A: 4   Ld: 10   Sv: 2+

Unit Composition:

* 1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

* Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

* Aeturnum Warplate

* Paragon blade

* Master-crafted lightning claw

* Plasma pistol

* Plasma grenades

* Sonic shrieker

Special Rules:

* Legiones Astartes (Emperor’s Children)

* Independent Character

* Master of the Legion

* Masterful Warrior

* First Among Equals

* Rampage

Warlord Trait:

* Glorious Charge: On a single game turn (chosen by the owning player), the Warlord and all Legiones Astartes (Emperor’s Children) models within 24” gain the Rage Special Rule.

Masterful Warrior:

Kaesoron must always issue and accept challenges in combat where possible, and when fighting challenges may halve his Attack characteristic after modifiers (rounding down) in order to give all his close combat attacks the Fleshbane special rule.

First Among Equals:

If Julius Kaesoron is part of your army he will always be the army’s Warlord, regardless of the Leadership value of other HQ choices unless Fulgrim or Eidolon are also present.

Additionally, any Terminator-armour equipped squad Kaesoron joins before deployment may Deep Strike and Kaesoron and any unit he joins are exempt from the restriction on units with the Slow and Purposeful special rule in the Maru Skara Right of War.

Aeturnum Warplate:

Constructed by the Legion’s greatest artificers from the most precious and resilient materials gathered through the course of the Great Crusade, the Aeturnum Warplate was possibly the finest suit of Cataphractii Tactical Dreadnought Armour within the arsenal of the IIIrd Legion.

The Aeturnum Warplate follows the rules for Cataphractii Terminator Armour, with the following additions. It features a Teleporter Transponder which allows any Emperor’s Children Terminator Squads or Phoenix Terminator Squads in the army which can Deep Strike to do so without scattering so long as they are placed within 6” of Kaesoron when they deploy. Additionally, the Aeturnum Warplate counts as a Legion Vexilla for any unit which Kaesoron joins.

Awesome work. The amount of detail and shading really adds another dimension to the piece. My only critique would be the somewhat uninspired cloak. I think it brings this down a notch and you could do much better, though I understand wanting to move onto the next piece if that's the case. 

Yeah, I wanted him to have a cloak from the start, but when I was finishing him off, considering the amount of time building up the shading would have taken for pretty much no detail, I decided against it. In hindsight, I should have gone for the 'faded-out' approach I took with the feet, but hopefully it doesn't detract from the overall image too much

Any particular reason you don't have a DeviantArt account IHF?

I've just never needed one to be honest, but I'll likely make one in the near future

Note: I've altered the head a bit to help sort out a few issues with proportions

Right: it's time for a change of direction.

Something's been bugging me for a while. Much as I love the results that I get from photoshopping FW's fantastic artwork, I'm increasingly conflicted about doing it. Firstly, I don't own the rights to the images, and using pictures found on the web which have been scanned without permission - violating copyright - makes me pretty uncomfortable. I've felt like this for a while.

However, I feel far worse knowing that I'm using the work of extremely skilled artists to enable my own ideas, with relatively little effort considering the amount of time the original pieces must take. Coming from a family of artists & as someone who is planning to produce artwork semi-professionally in the future, this sucks.

So I'm not gonna do it anymore. I have absolutely no right, and a major problem for artists using digital media is others using their work without permission.

So yeah, I wholeheartedly aplogise for having acted like I had some kind of privelige which allowed me to take credit from manipulating other artists work.

I'll carry on doing designs for new units & vehicles, plus concept art for existing characters who haven't yet been covered, but any images will be my own work (with the exception of the odd photoshopped vehicle using images of models on the FW site).

So yeah, my behaviour & attitude sucked. But it stops now (I'll be editing this thread so it doesn't include any of the old edited images).

I completely understand and support the decision to stop doing what makes you feel uncomfortable, but I would definitely not say that your "behavior & attitude sucked."  

You never came off as arrogant or boastful, just someone who loved to create what popped up in his mind. While im glad you could get some stress off your chest, its still a little bit unfortunate that you have decided to completely abandon your FW style mock ups, as im sure you have inspired many a player with your work on your Hands and (for me personally) your alpha legion. I can honestly say that yours were and are some of the best to give out inspiration to modelers. 

OH, and what Chappy said :biggrin.: 

DimDim

Edited by DimDim

You could...always send some of your work to FW in a Portfolio with a CV and thus, once the job is acquired, make your Photoshop mock ups TOTES LEGIT!

:tongue.:

Thanks guys

Hah, much as I'd like to get a job at FW, I've got 3 more years of this Degree yet, I'm not even close to skilled enough to apply for any paid artwork position, and they haven't been advertising for such positions anyhow.

That said, at some point in the next few years, once I've built up a decent backlog of sketches / digital paintings and decently balanced rules, I might send them in FW's direction, just to see if they thought the designs might be useful - but yeah, if there was ever any possibility of being delegated the odd freelance piece, I'd jump at the chance :tongue.:

Edit: oh, and here's that IW mortar unit I mentioned while ago:

IRON WARRIORS DECIMATOR SIEGE SQUAD [TROOPS]:

Decimator:                   WS: 4   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 1   Ld: 8   Sv: 3+

Decimator Sergeant:   WS: 4   BS: 4   S: 4   T: 4   W: 1   I: 4   A: 2   Ld: 9   Sv: 3+

Unit Composition:

* 4 Decimators

* 1 Decimator Sergeant

Unit Type:

* Decimator: Infantry

* Decimator Sergeant: Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

* Power armour

* Balestorm mortar

* Bolt pistol

* Frag and krak grenades

Special Rules:

* Legiones Astartes (Iron Warriors)

* Support Squad

* Hardened Armour

* Ruin Strider

Options:

* The Iron Warriors Decimator Siege Squad may take:

- Up to 5 additional Decimators

* The Decimator Sergeant may take any of the following options:

- Exchange their Balestorm mortar for a nuncio-vox and close combat weapon or bolter

- Exchange their close combat weapon for a power weapon

- Exchange their close combat weapon for a power fist

- Exchange their bolt pistol for a plasma pistol

- Augary scanner

- Artificer armour

- Melta bombs

- One breaching charge

Dedicated Transport:

* As long as it numbers no more than 10 models, the squad may choose a Rhino as a Dedicated Transport. Note that if the army contains a character that has one of the Rites of War special rules, other Dedicated Transport options may be available for the squad.

Ruin Strider:

A unit with this special rule may re-roll failed cover saves. Additionally, they have the Move Through Cover special rule.

Balestorm Mortar:  

Frag Shell:                   Range: 12-48”   Str: 3   AP: 6   Type: Salvo 1/2, Barrage, Ignores Cover, Blast (3”)

Siege Shell:                 Range: 12-48”   Str: 8   AP: 3   Type: Heavy 1, Barrage, Wrecker, Blast (3”)

As DimDim mentioned, I can also see your side of the decision and don't think your attitude and behavior sucked. Quite the contrary in fact; I think you were adhering to the very spirit of the game, if not recently then from several editions ago where players were encouraged to take what they liked and change what they didn't to make the game theirs and more fun.

You also weren't using the art for monetary gain, which is generally the biggest issue when it comes to IP, but instead used it to enhance what was already there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Iron Hands molds didn't get a little more use at FW from the inspiration you brought to a Legion that is often overlooked and has far too little presence on these boards. I'm certainly not the X Legion's biggest fan, but when done well, I think they make for one of the nicest looking armies that 30k has to offer.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I think you're the only one seeing you as a bad guy.

Yeah, thanks BCK - I think I just gradually felt increasingly guilty as time went on - hence the negativity.

Anyway, thought I show y'all how I'll be doing rules pages from now on:
http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/uploads/gallery/album_192/gallery_2243_192_4576645.png

I've also uploaded the file onto the downloads section here - the file is the full size jpeg, which is 2480 x 3508 so it's formatted for A4 on the off-chance any of y'all would want to print it off & have a go with his rules