IHF's Archive: Sketching the Heresy - The Manufactorum

Hyperion Terminators:

With the Fist being heavily fleet based, the idea behind these guys is that they're a cadre of Terminators who deploy exclusively by teleporter, even in situations where this would be unadvisable - they are deployed ahead of the main force and basically have to hold out until the line reaches them - they form beachheads within enemy territory and turtle / cause as much damage as possible. So it's a quick route to glory, but with a pretty high mortality rate, partially because of their role in battle, and also due to the fact that teleporter tech isn't exactly super reliable - quickly leading to a grim demeanor.

Equipment: Heavy Flamer / Illiastus Assault Cannon & Power Weapon - any can exchange power weapon for fist for a cost. One in 5 can swap ranged weapon for Plasma Blaster / Multi-melta. Modified Indomitus TDA - it's noted the Fists had the greatest number of these suits, so the idea is that the Hyperions wear a variant modified to assist teleporter deployment, in testing as the Heresy started.

Rules: Can force deployment from 2nd turn onwards, instead of rolling for reserves, but if they suffer a deep strike mishap, opponent can force a re-roll on the mishap table. When they arrive, cause a low damage / blind / concussive ranged attack for all models within a certain radius (inspired by Magnus teleporting onto Colchis in The First Heretic). Get a bonus to Close Combat / Combat Resolution when outnumbered, but can never benefit from positive Leadership modifiers.

Scourge Seekers:

Simply put they're a Void-combat Seeker variant - get deployed on an enemy vessel & are tasked with eliminating the enemy command crew.

Equipment: Base Seeker gear, plus hardened armour, teleporter homer on sergeant  & breaching charges, all get option for combat shields.

Rules: Not 100% on these yet - some Zone Mortalis bonus, bonus against fortifications.

Fusilier Auxilia:

As you can porbably tell, they're based on the Solar Auxilia template, but have gradually developed in line with the Fists' strategic tendencies (Extermination says the VIIth's Auxilia tend to be predisposed towards anti-armour/fortification actions) - slight templar / prussian hints, but very similar to SA (in terms of void / defensive actions).

Thanks everyone, good to know they get the right aesthetic :biggrin.:

Still don't know why FW hasn't contacted you to do more like this for them.

Soooo...when are you going to make Stormbird variants? :wink:

Probably because coming up with ideas for units isn't exactly a problem for them :P

Uhhhh - when I have a good idea for a Stormbird variant, and when I've spewed all the other crazy ideas trapped in my skull onto paper ;)

These are awesome. OK, everything in the last few pages.

And I also just noticed you're going through the Legions in numerical order :tongue.: Good, goooood.... 

Indeed - maybe I finally got tired of everyone going "when's my Legion gonna have its turn?" :wink.:

Also, here's some background for the new NL units:

The Malphaz are basically a twisted variant of riot police - deployed to break up any gatherings of strong resistance that can't simply be scattered & torn apart. They're each equipped with flamers, and have backpack-mounted variants of grenade harnesses, used to launch hallucinogenic/psychotropic gas canisters into the ranks of the enemy - the idea being that when you're mind is crumbling apart, a wall of mutilated corpses shooting fire is probably gonna be pretty panic-inducing :P

The Alastor Seekers are the most 'pious' of the Night Lords - they adhere the most rigorously to the VIIIth Legion's twisted moral code. In battle they don't only hunt down enemy commanders, they specifically target those who they believe embody their particular enemy's most abhorrent sins, and they attempt to make them 'confess' (hence the array of particularly nasty implements hanging from the Legionary's belt), recordings of which they broadcast from their backpack speakers. I wanted them to seem like a nightmarish parody of knights - hence the skin tabard and the crest of spikes/flesh. 

So on my list for 2016 is a squad of each of these *cracks knuckles* time to test some things out

Loving the artwork in here, and the concept behind the Night Lords unique units is especially of interest. Think I'll have to splash out for some Breachers after all!

Wow, I'm flattered - look forward to seeing them :thumbsup:

Anyhow, swiftly on to the IXth Legion; the Tartaros Vet isn't exactly fantastic, but I'm very happy with the MkIII Legionary so swings and roundabouts :P

gallery_53779_9225_658807.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_478110.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like every time I get stuck into a project, I realize halfway through I want to do way better, and get sidelined spending hours in a new direction. Well, I pinky-promise I'm definitely gonna get this series of sketches finished (they're crazy quick, so it'd be hard not to).

That said, it's probably gonna be 2-3 months before I can do any more cos y'know, University, but I wanted to share some prep work I've been doing for a much more involved illustration scheduled for later on (hopefully, one of - another - series).

It's basically some 'concept art' to help flesh out my interpretation of the Vakrah Jal, and it's what I'd describe as 'medium quality' (the previous sketches have been low quality, and the illustration these are in anticipation of should be to a much higher standard).

Anyhow, hope you like the aesthetic I've been angling for:

gallery_53779_9225_286803.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_1826724.jpg

OK this is just like the coolest thing you've done ever. Daaaaaaang those face plates are inspired.

Hand Flamers and Charnabal Sabres? Consider me interested...

Chem hand flamers and power scimitars ;) And maybe artificer armour and "Argel Tal makes them troops." It'll be an interesting unit when FW gets to them.

Oh my Slaanesh.

LOVE the Vakrah Jal and the NL Breachers are ace too!!!!

:wub.:

(The Vakrah Jal are btw from the Chapter of Consecrated Iron and have afaik a similiar chapter icon to the former Serrated Sun, but metall and not a sun but a circle ^^)

Argh. :cuss, been looking at those NL Breachers for an age, and it has really made me want to create a rule for the unit. Not sure if this is anything like your vision of them? I gave them power spear options

Malphaz Breachers (pts, tbd)

Standard Breacher & Sergeant Stats

Weapons and equipment;

Standard Breacher, no specials

Size; 5-20

Entire unit may elect to swap their Bolters for Power Spears (+5pts per model)

Up to 1 in 4 may swap their Power Spears or Bolters for Nostraman Chainglaives or Lightning Claws (+10ppm)

Vexilla and Nuncio options

Land Raider DT

Scout, Fear

Dismember; When making a consolidation move after winning an assault, the unit may elect to roll a dice. On a 5+, the unit gains +1 Victory Point. If a challenge was fought during that same phase by a model in this unit and they killed their opponent, gain a +1 to that roll. 

You should design a jump pack for the Vakrah Jal as well, I assume not everybody used one as they were an entire Chapter but Cyrene's guardian in Betrayer definitely uses one and I'd love to see what you could cook up. Inspiring stuff though, love the blades. :smile.:

Edited by Marshal Loss

You should design a jump pack for the Vakrah Jal as well, I assume not everybody used one as they were an entire Chapter but Cyrene's guardian in Betrayer definitely uses one and I'd love to see what you could cook up. Inspiring stuff though, love the blades. :smile.:

Yeah, didn't he roast some cultists that were getting too handsy with the jump pack? It'll be interesting to see how they make their rules distinct from Ashen Circle or even Locutarus Storm Squads. Maybe package deal jump packs like Destroyers & Reavers get?

I might have to ask about them at the Weekender for the heck of it (but mostly, rep this cool art ;)). They're a unit we're actually likely to see in the next 2-3 years if books 8, 9 or 10 bring anything about the Shadow Crusade and Argel Tal.