Painting Space wolves

mmimzie

Howdy all i'm thinking of starting up in 40k. I used to play lots of Fantasy a few years back; starting up in 40k due to larger player base.

Anywho, i'm making an aggressive assault heavy list full of TWC's and Assault venerable dreads.  Hoping to be atleast semi-competitive.  Anywho, I want to make a literal branch to the storm wolves  I was hoping I could get some painting help. 

So for shoulder pads. Definitely going to go with the stormwolf, but with an added lightning bolt behind it. 

Fluff here:

This branch of the stormwolves is loud and flashy. When it comes to battle their pride fills the field more so than their bodies. They are louder than other wolves, but are fewer in number. When they guys run at you from behind a hill; before they come into view you think their are twice as many of them as actually show up on the field. When finding and breaking in their thunderwolves; they believe that the best are those who howl the loudest before and after a kill. They embody this on the field, and in the Armour they wear. They ignore stealth and want the full attention of their foes so they can see the light in their foes eyes.

End Fluff

So I want them to look a little louder than normal storm wolves. Maybe a lighter shade of grey/blue, and touches of purple  for runes and lightning effects. So color scheme ideas would rock.

Additional my warlord will be a Rune Priest, and i'd like to give him a very custom bike, and outfit. 

-for his bike I want to make it look almost as if it were made of wolf skulls. I want the front to be coming out of the skull of a wolf head. Thinking this could have been the head of the Rune Priest first and last thunderwolf  that fell in glorious battle. From thier more skull should ordain the rest of the bike, along with a few runes

-For the Rune priest model I want to make a shield and cut it into 3 pieces. 2 large pieces that will make axes for the dreads, and one smaller piece that will act as the Rune priest's axe. That way if you line all the weapons up they'd look like a massive shield.

Cyber wolves:

I'm thinking i'll just take the fenrisian wolves, and give then variousb its of armor, and cyber mods. I want each one to be kind of different. I'm thinking one could have an electric field generator around him. One could have an electrified muzzle on. Another with Plasma torch fangs. More doggy ideas would rock.

Dreds:

I want them to look like wolves. I saw on of here that was cool, but i honestly have no idea what I want to do with these. So something aggressive and loud would be great. I also heard the dread kit could make two dreds???, but i could be wrong.

Iron Priest:

I was wondering more of the lore of these guys??? Are they like techmarines, and are more apart from the space wolves? Do they wear thier armies heraldry?? For their servo arm i was thinking they could have a cyber wolf style head at the end of the arm, so it would look as though they were taking a bite out of the enemy with it.

Welcome to The Fang!

I can at least give you some of the fluff on the Iron Priests, to answer your last request.

Iron Priests

On Fenris, the Forgemasters are men set apart from the bulk of the population by their knowledge of weapon making and ironwork. The secrets of smithing are passed from father to son. Forgemasters are organised into the mysterious Guild of Smiths, which has links to the Iron Priests of the Space Wolves. Iron Priests are chosen from the apprentices of Forgemasters in secret rituals on the Isles of Iron. Here candidates are picked both by Wolf Priest and Iron Priest. They do not face the mass questioning of the massed Space Wolves but are instead examined by the Master Iron Priest himself, and their knowledge of the mysteries is tested.

To prove their courage they must place their hand into the blazing mouth of a great forge cast in the shape of a grinning Wolf's Head. This is the ultimate test where the aspirant must sacrifice part of his own flesh to achieve unity with the Machine-God. When the blackened stump is removed it is replaced with a servo-gauntlet grafted directly onto the aspirant's hand and linked to his central nervous system. The Machine-God has entered the aspirant's body and he has begun a lifelong journey to understanding its mysteries.

Iron Priests must undergo the ritual of the Blooding exactly like any other aspirant, and they then spend a period of training under the supervision of the Wolf Priests where they learn the use of weapons. At the end of this time they are sent on a pilgrimage to the Forge-World of Mars, where they undergo training with the Tech-Priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Here they learn many of the secrets of the Machine Cult.

During this time they may also acquire many bionic enhancements, symbolic of their unity with the Machine-God, and useful to any artificer. When they return to the Chapter they take their place among the ranks of the Iron Priests, looking after the many technical systems of the Fang, supervising building and engineering projects, and all of the myriad of complex technical tasks that are undertaken every single day. In their own workshops they create all of the fine mechanical artifacts and wargear used by the warriors and Priests of the Chapter. The Iron Priests also create Servitor workers, half-human and half-machine creatures which are task-adapted and almost mindless. They serve the Iron Priests and sometimes act as bodyguards in battle. Iron Priests seldom take a direct hand in the fighting but their position within the Machine Cult means that they are well equipped with strange and exotic weapons seldom carried by other warriors.

The Iron Priests are mysterious figures to their battle-brothers. They possess strange skills and obscure knowledge from the elder days and their concerns seem remote and unworldly. They do not take part in any of the great contests and many of their rituals are secret even from their fellow Space Wolves. They are outsiders, even as the smiths are on the world of Fenris. Perhaps because of this, they are not resented. Their brother Space Marines see them as occupying the same position as the mysterious weapon makers did in their old society.

--White Dwarf 246

Welcome!

Couple of ideas for your wolf dreadnoughts (fair bit of conversion work here mind).

http://blog.bitzbox.co.uk/category/conversions/   (scroll down to space wolf conversions)

https://www.tumblr.com/search/space%20wolves%20dreadnought

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/modelling/83573-wolf-dreadnought-day-1-a.html

Archived