+++E Tenebrae Lux IV - Blood Angels Strategium+++

Captain Semper

Ramblings aside, my motivation is to not let you all down, especially as I am the one leading this year's charge. If I may, what was yours originally?

My motivation comes from working hard to own the full third company, but having blank red primed marines when playing. I'm edging close to the halfway mark, which would mean 70 power armour models out of 120 painted, a huge chunk. This community is definitely the best I've come across online in the 40k world, so it's great to be part of a team effort for something fun like ETL. Plus, being out-codexed doesn't bother me one bit, since I am a fluff player, and we rule the 40k fluff.

Cheers, LutherMax.

The white is basecoat of Vallejo Game Colour Ghosty Grey followed by 3 thinned layers of GW Ceramite White and then 3-5 thin layers of Vallejo Model Colour White. If it's something like the bits above I'll wash it with watered down Vallejo Pale Grey Wash and re-highlight with thinned VMC white until I'm happy with the result. Sometimes I'll do shading with VGC Stonewall Grey and layer back up to pure VMC White, tend to save that for armour plating and characters.

I actually meant to ask you how you did the robes on your Priest. Do you highlight up to an almost pink and give a red wash to tone it down?

That's a lot of layers but it pays off - so smooth!

I didn't use any washes on the cloak actually, just layers in the following order:

VMC Hull Red

VMC Burnt Cadmium Red

GW Red Gore

VMC Red

Same on the armour (e.g. shoulder pad) except I add VMC Amarantha Red on to the end. Each colour is mixed 50/50 with the previous colour before a pure layer.

Cheers, LutherMax.

The white is basecoat of Vallejo Game Colour Ghosty Grey followed by 3 thinned layers of GW Ceramite White and then 3-5 thin layers of Vallejo Model Colour White. If it's something like the bits above I'll wash it with watered down Vallejo Pale Grey Wash and re-highlight with thinned VMC white until I'm happy with the result. Sometimes I'll do shading with VGC Stonewall Grey and layer back up to pure VMC White, tend to save that for armour plating and characters.

I actually meant to ask you how you did the robes on your Priest. Do you highlight up to an almost pink and give a red wash to tone it down?

That's a lot of layers but it pays off - so smooth!

I didn't use any washes on the cloak actually, just layers in the following order:

VMC Hull Red

VMC Burnt Cadmium Red

GW Red Gore

VMC Red

Same on the armour (e.g. shoulder pad) except I add VMC Amarantha Red on to the end. Each colour is mixed 50/50 with the previous colour before a pure layer.

Sure is! Good thing I like listening to podcasts.

Hmm, that's interesting and I actually own all of those except GW Red Gore (though I do have the VGA equivalent). Presumably thats VMC Red 70.947 rather than 70.926 (pretty dark) ?

Brothers, I come to you with grave news...

Five of our most able bodies have succumbed to the Darkness in our hearts.

Thier Black armour has been readied and thier faith tested. They have been reborn into Sanguinius' visage and are eager to dispense his wrath to his enemies.

They see visions of the True heresy, raw betrayal - as I speak they are living our Primarch's glorious ultimate sacrifice.

The Reclusiam has spoken unto them the Litany and the Chaplains shall bring them to war.

Praise them! For the show us what we must avoid! Follow them into battle, an example of our fate and a harrowing warning to our foes.

They will cower when the Sons of Sanguinius face them in battle, they will lament when they see the furious charge of:

Elite.gif furious.gif THE DEATH COMPANYfurious.gif Elite.gif

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20150621_234130_zps1fl0xvdr.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Single-handedly my favourite unit in the game!

My Vow of Five Fallen Brethren with Jump Packs and a Thunder Hammer is complete and now I must Slumber.

Tell the Serfs to add 145pts to our swelling tally of honour!

I'll add more pics tomorrow if I take them while deciding on a second (less blingy...) Vow! ;)

@Leviathus: Thanks man! I was worried about the gold for the longest time after applying the Auric Armour layer (that stuff is bright!) but some Agrax blended it all nicely.

@CaptainHelion: Cheers :)! The first models I've completed since returning to the hobby. Quite proud of em!

Nice work Charlo!

As an update I've finished the red and just have a few more highlights for the black on my Sternguard. Then it's just all the details and bases. Hoping I can finish them in the next couple of weeks before I go on a residential school,which will mean a whole week with no progress :(

If I do happen to get them finished I'm hoping to do a second vow .

Let's keep this momentum up chaps!

D

Made a bit of progess with my Biker Captain over the weekend.

He still looks total arse, but they always do about half way through the painting process. >_<

ETL   Bike Cptn II

I have faith he will look sweet when he's finished.

I'm sure he will happy.png

How are you finding painting the trim? Back in the day I was painting the shoulder pads trims and the bike trims black on my Blood Angels but about maybe eight years ago I stopped as I could take it any more!

The trims are a pain in the patoot. >_<

I've got my hands on a load of bikes, (3 Attack bikes, 9 regular bikers, a captain on a bike and a priest on a bike) and all the trims are a nightmare.

I'm basing them all in brown, then a layer of Hashcut Copper, a highlight in Gahenna Gold and a wash in Earthshade. A final Highlight in gold again. Thats alot of effort. :(

Less than mine ;) all the gold you see on my DC is Balthazar Base of two layers, Ghennas, Agrax a couple times, Auric Armour, Agrax, rune fang on extreme edges then another Agrax if necessary.

Takes a while and until the last bit looks ass, but worth the effort! Can't wait to see your bikes dude :)

I've finished 3 regular bikes and an attack bike.

Well, I say finished, someone just pointed out to me that BA bikes traditionally have yellow helmets.

Not sure how I missed that, but now I'm going back to re-do thier helmets from red to yellow.

I've finished 3 regular bikes and an attack bike.

Well, I say finished, someone just pointed out to me that BA bikes traditionally have yellow helmets.

Not sure how I missed that, but now I'm going back to re-do thier helmets from red to yellow.

You can always do them after ;) and besides, aren't you running a Successor? Who says they have yellow anyway?

Just some food for thought :)

Typically, all fast assault elements of a "true" BA company should have yellow helmets, which includes Assault Marines, Bike Squadrons, Attack Bike Squadrons, and Land Speeders. That said, I agree with Jolemai that as a successor chapter you can interpret this however you like. I wouldn't feel obligated to re-paint helmets unless you want to stay 100% adherent to the progenitors. Keep in mind that any Devastators you choose to do will need blue helmets, by this standard! smile.png

I've got down in my Redeemer's blog that all Heavy Weapon marines (including those in Tac Squads etc, with the exeption of Heavy Flamers) will have blue helmets.

I like the yellow helmets on bikers, with the red armour on red bikes, it breaks the theme up a little which I like. smile.png

I hadn't even thought about my landspeeder, but now when I ever get round to painting it I'll give those pilots yellow helmets too.

So much to paint. sick.gif

I forgot about today's deadline!  OMG!!!

If I was still allowed to post w/o pre-condition photos - it would be that I'd build and paint:

(the total points below are estimated)...

Ming rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete:

1. a BA 5-man Vanguard Squad (4 Lclaws, 1 THammer, jump packs);
  2. a BA 10-man Assault squad (jump packs, melta, melta, combimelta [or grav pistiol], paxe); and
  3. Lemartes; and
  4. A Sanguinary Priest (Paxe, auspex, jump pack)

for a total value of 650 pts on or before August 1st, 2015. Success will bring eternal glory to the Blood Angels Chapter and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until my vow is fully completed. That shall be my penance.

Ming

Updated photos in my gallery/album.

Models are now all built and primed.  On to the details!

(I hope to have some basic painting started tonight, and plan to use them in a game tomorrow)....

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/10965-ex-tenebrae-lux-2015/

One tiny contribution to the Sons of Sanguinius complete. After painting this apothecary I've learned I will never start a White Scars army. tongue.png

Vow Complete!

gallery_62370_10742_24425.jpg

gallery_62370_10742_7574.jpg

And for my next vow a (mostly) rule of cool vanguard vet squad:

I Akylas rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete a Vanguard Veteran Squad from Codex: Blood Angels of total value 355 points (10 man squad with 2 melta bombs, 2 grav pistols, 3 power weapons, 2 storm shields, 2 lightning claws and jump packs) on or before August 1st, 2015. Success will bring eternal glory to the Blood Angels and all their successors and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before pics of new vow.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/306913-e-tenebrae-lux-iv-blood-angels-strategium/?p=4116995

Archived