+++E Tenebrae Lux IV - Blood Angels Strategium+++

Captain Semper

... Also painting vehicles. Not a strong point, apparently.

I totally sympathize:  I hate painting vehicles.   All my friends think they're easy, but I am never satisfied with how they turn out and they take me forever. 

Sorry brothers for breaking my Vow, the past week made it impossible to get any painting done, but i shall continue until it is complete.

Also to repent for breaking my Vow, I shall paint 1 Corbulo miniature in the colours of the Death Company.

Well done to you folk who completed your vows! You've made us all proud. For myself, I fear I failed to account for how much moving house was going to destroy my schedule. Also painting vehicles. Not a strong point, apparently.

I feel for you. I barely was able to get one vow in because of moving and work travel I have been doing. You'll get em next year.

Following our final week flourish, we were able to secure fourth place with 5k of points to spare. Interestingly, we were only 10k and 12k of points off IFOR in third and HH in fourth respectively, which shows what could have been had we completed all our vows and had vowed, and completed larger ones. However, this isn't something we should feel glum about. The fact is, we have done fantastically well.

BLOOD ANGLES STRATEGIUM

Total number of participants: 83

Total number of vows: 130

Total amount of points pledged: 63,653

Average vow: 490 pts

Total amount of points completed (before penalties): 41,285

Total completion rate (before penalties): 64.9%

Total amount of points completed (after penalties): 40,835

Final score: 26,197

ETL IV Forum Champion: Just4uCupCake (4,685pts)

gallery_27176_10921_20668.jpg

A miracle took place here. Last year the BAs had 37 participants. This year 83! That’s more than the Codex, the DAs, SWs, Chaos and only 3 less than the new reinforced IFOR. Only HH had convincingly more participants (actually 12 more). After indifferent performances in the previous ETLs (and a couple of LPC’s for those who remember) the Blood Angels ARE BACK! An amazing gathering of the Sons of the Angel has given a new lease of life to the painting prominence of the once powerful Forum!

But all said and done the Blood Angels did not win this one. So what happened? I think despite the enthusiasm and Jolemai’s untiring push, the main culprit here was the low average vow – it was in fact the lowest in the ETL! So a lot of people played along but with relatively small vows, which it is not bad in itself, one can leverage quickly on small vows, but in that case re-vowing becomes all-important. But the re-vowing rate was just 57% it meant that those first vows took a long time to complete. One thing I can say for sure: The quality fully justified the time! And the sheer numbers of the Blood Angels this year resulted in the very respectable fourth position – miles away from previous years’ performances.

Just imagine though, with all those resources at your disposal, (not to mention the best looking range in the SM series) what could have been! Well, the good news is, the BAs have mobilized at last. Will they keep up the momentum in the next ETL? Will ETL V be painted red?

Just to take in the stats I've quoted above:

• Participant level (83) is at a record high and almost double the previous high (46, 39, 37 in ETL I, II and III respectively)
  • Number of vows (130) is at a record high and over double the previous high (68, 53, 54 in ETL I, II and III respectively)
  • Completed points (41,285) is at a record high and almost double the previous high (20,616, 25,959, 21,593 in ETL I, II and III respectively)
  • Final score (26,197) is at a record high (19,851, 25,786, 21, 168 in ETL I, II and III respectively)

... and this sets us up nicely for an assault on the title next year. As Captain Semper mentions in his closing remarks, given our resources, past event history and success this time round, ETL V could well be ours and besides, we may get some 30k reinforcements next year too ;)

Next, on to the awards:

Section 3 – Individual Performance

The ETL is not only about faction performance. It’s about individual performance too and some amazing feats of glory have taken place this year. Now, just like last year, those you completed ALL their vows will be awarded the Custos Fidei. This badge replaces the Oath of Moment and denotes the number of completions by presenting a “Seal of Completion” for each one. So someone who has made a single vow and completed it successfully he’ll don the Custos Fidei with the single Seal of Completion. One who has made two will don the Custos Fidei with two Seals of Completion and so on. So the participants who completed 5 vows are awarded a Custos Fidei with 5 Seals of Completion!

If you don't see your name below or you see it in a wrong place do not reach for your bolter. PM me and I'll sort it out. In the mean time feel free to use the badge you deem appropriate!

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_05.jpg

xmercx [bA] 1,145

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_04.jpg

Boudan [bA] 700

jifel [bA] 1,567

Lucumon [bA] 731

Mandaloriano [bA] 2,400

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

ChaplainMikey [bA] 420

j-smuv [bA] 1,120

Keravnos [bA] 2,936

Spagunk [bA] 575

Threefiddy [bA] 1,326

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpg

Airman1227 [bA] 310

Akylas [bA] 446

Auberon [bA] 550

bushman101 [bA] 1,290

Callousness [bA] 470

captain Angel [bA] 2,485

Charlo [bA] 750

deathspectersgt7 [bA] 755

evildrcheese [bA] 375

gav1892 [bA] 1,265

Grazcruzk [bA] 1,346

Jolemai [bA] 949

Just4uCupCake [bA] 4,685

Leviathus [bA] 315

LutherMax [bA] 278

Ovidius Incertus [bA] 1,694

The Milkman of Baal [bA] 625

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

Americanzero [bA] 140

Atriedes [bA] 275

BrotherJim [bA] 495

Bukimimaru [bA] 510

ChapelXIII [bA] 385

Closet Skeleton [bA] 385

Fahlnor [bA] 1,110

Father Mapple [bA] 160

Herald of Sanguinius [bA] 220

Inquisitor Eisenhorn [bA] 215

jikof [bA] 610

Lostiris [bA] 245

Makkeru [bA] 420

Marine7312000 [bA] 930

Ming [bA] 650

Mozley [bA] 310

Psychodough [bA] 55

SlangWhanger [bA] 595

SnorriSnorrison [bA] 356

sockwithaticket [bA] 365

The4thHorseman [bA] 100

TheSauce [bA] 185

Tortura [bA] 255

Vahouth [bA] 356

Section 4 – The banners of excellence

Furthermore, like last year, the Champions of each faction (i.e. the ones that made the most points) will be awarded the Badge of the Champion:

Blood Angels: Just4uCupCake

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2015_Badge_02_Forum_Champion_BA.jpg

The Badge of the Hero: This goes to all who have successfully completed all of their vows and at least one vow worth the maximum of 3,000pts

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_2015_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpg

The eligible participants are:

Just4uCupCake

Congratulations to all with your completions, with shout outs to Just4uCupCake for not only taking up the mantle of being this year's Champion, but also for completing a 3000 point vow, and to xmercx for completing the full five vows. I only wish I could reach those lofty statuses! These you can swap out for your Oath of Moment badges if you wish and there will be medallion style badges and modular badges arriving in due course for those who are running low on space.

For those who failed their vows, you are permitted to wear the special BA sub-forum Oath Breaker found here, along with a list of those who have succumbed to the Black Rage. Now inducted into the Death Company, you will receive on final chance to rid yourself of the Rage with and claim Salvation, but that's another story.

Well I have to say, Jolemai was at the heart of the BA effort this year, a Chaplain to look up to! 

Thanks for your effort and support of the ETL Jolemai - and remember: next year we'll be celebrating half a decade of ETL! I expect the BAs to make their presence felt! ;)

Anytime. I just couldn't abide another ETL of wasted potential, especially after last year when he almost finished last. I'm sure many others would have done the same ;)

Also, I forgot to add this to the above post:

Blood Angels (BAs)

Vowed Models:

Total Models: 1238
Total Units: 388

Total Infantry: 769
Total Infantry Powered Armor: 478
Total Infantry Terminators: 199
Total Infantry Humans: 0
Total Other Infantry: 92

Total Jump Infantry: 315
Total Beasts/Cavalry: 0
Total Bikers: 23

Total Monstrous and Gargantuan Creatures: 0

Total Vehicles: 128
Total Tanks: 51
Total Walkers: 50
Total Other Vehicles: 27

Total Artillery: 0

Total Superheavies and Gargantuans: 6

Fortifications: 3

Completed Models:

Total Models: 781
Total Units: 250

Total Infantry: 486
Total Infantry Powered Armor: 272
Total Infantry Terminators: 162
Total Infantry Humans: 0
Total Other Infantry: 52

Total Jump Infantry: 200
Total Beasts/Cavalry: 0
Total Bikers: 20

Total Monstrous and Gargantuan Creatures: 0

Total Vehicles: 72
Total Tanks: 29
Total Walkers: 29
Total Other Vehicles: 14

Total Artillery: 0

Total Superheavies and Gargantuans: 4

Fortifications: 3

Again, some impressive numbers and a very interesting breakdown of what was vowed during the competition.

Thank you Captain Semper for your time, effort and diligence in managing this event. And thank you Jolemai for your [uSR=Relentless] efforts in shepherding our damned souls towards such lofty heights. I particularly like what you did here:

this sets us up nicely for an assault on the title next year

Very well done to all! It was awesome returning to this forum after a two-year absence and both competing in, and completing in, the ETL IV. (If you dig through ETL II you could probably find my unpainted Iron Warriors somewhere...) Best of luck to all next year, in whatever faction you choose! I will likely be either in here or the Chaos subforum, depending on if there' a new book favorable to Iron Warriors... But for now, I am glad that we have triumphed over the other non-Codex chapters! 

Thanks to Captain Semper and Jolemai for everything they have done for ETL and the Blood Angels. Hopefully next year I won't have to worry about moving and will be able to commit more of my time and resources to ETL. It is nice to see our forum more committed than in the past and it is nice to know that I am part of such a talented group. 

Yes, this was very fun. 

Thank you Semper for all your hard work, and thank you Jolemai for the encouragement. 

I am one of those painters that needs competitions to get me to actually complete anything.  It's not competitive spirit so much as it is the deadlines and social pressure.  So the ETL is a great way to paint those metal models that have been on the backburner for years.  I took the weekend off, but hopefully I can keep up the painting schedule so I can get faster and contribute at a higher level next year! 

I didn't get as much done as I hoped, but I'm happy to have participated and gotten two vows in. I may be saving up some characters for next year. Can't wait till the next one!

Anyone else feeling a second wind post ETL? Usually I'm so exhausted on painting that I don't want to look at a model for a month or two but this time I'm finding myself eyeing my assembled Death Company that didn't make it into the event...

This year there were a lot of novelties in the ETL, but the comeback of the BAs was the single most unpredictable one and, as such, the most welcome! 

Now keep up the painting spirit, for the next ETL is in just 9 months time! 

Thanks you for your efforts Jolemai and Semper, this year i was really enthusiastic about our performance. I really enjoyed ETL IV. Now is time to rest of painting red (I have so many projects biggrin.png), but it`s time to start buying new stuff to next ETL tongue.png (New Lamenters army incoming!!!!). So we will see in the next year, again in the Blood Angels Sub-Forum Strategium. Greeting to all who complete theirs vows and who could not complete enjoy the beautiful death company banner!!!!!

Will the rules be broadly the same next year?

I want to start planning out my pledges a bit earlier next time - I only realised the thing was happening at the start of June this year!

If the rules are the same (meaning built/primed/pledges up to 3,000 points), then I can start preparing for it!

I didn't get as much done as I hoped, but I'm happy to have participated and gotten two vows in. I may be saving up some characters for next year. Can't wait till the next one!

Anyone else feeling a second wind post ETL? Usually I'm so exhausted on painting that I don't want to look at a model for a month or two but this time I'm finding myself eyeing my assembled Death Company that didn't make it into the event...

I too am feeling that second wind. I completed two vows this year (my first ETL) but both low in terms of points. Next year I hope I can pledge some big-point units for the cause.

I want to see us in at least 3rd place next year, come what may.

@ Fahlnor:

The rules will generally be the same, yes. Now it is customary to tweak them a bit every year to add some extra layers of tactics and strategy, but that, if it happens at all, will not be revealed beforehand. So you must expect the unexpected. :D

Now you do not need the Oath of Moment anymore - that was the participation badge. What you need is the Custos Fidei!

Just copy the badge url and paste it as an image in your signature editor. PM me if you need further instructions. ;)

Archived