+++E Tenebrae Lux IV - Adeptus Mechanicus Strategium+++

Hmm interesting. I wonder how much the powers that be had to agonize over how to include HH as a faction. The fact that FW models boast a higher average points cost and cover such a breadth of background material must have weighed heavily. I'm interested to see how Codex: Cult Mechanicus will influence our numbers . . . happy.png

There are several variables, not least the popularity of something but the number of kits and their costs matter a lot. FW has been pooping out 30k like there's no tomorrow (I imagine they do so with dollar signs on their eyes) so that's going to make an impact. Plus HH games are big on fancy units and larger armies etc. There's no way to get this balance right, certainly when things can change in the hobby so much in the year between ETLs.

A new codex goes a long way though, as I said this is the AdMech's time to shine so every effort should be made to make the vows count :)

Certainly agreed!  I'm not complaining about the imbalance; the Omnissiah's faithful will find the way to victory!  (Assuming I ever actually start on my oath, that is . . .)

I anselneo, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete a good handful (see below)  for a total value of 815 points on or before August 1st, 2015. Success will bring eternal glory to the Omnissiah and the Imperial Faction and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end!

Codex Skitarri - Rangers: 180

-10x, 2x arquebus, Alpha with a taser goad,

Codex Skitarri -Vanguard: 170

-10x, 2 plasma calivers, omnispex

Codex Imperial Knights - Knight Crusader - 465

-Meltagun,

-Rapid fire battle cannon and heavy stubber

-Avenger gatling cannon with heavy flamer

-Ironstorm Missile Pod

Starting picture.

16859083773_be28025dbf_c.jpg

What we need are more excellent vows like anselneo's (new Knight!!) and completed ones like marshall's - keep up the good work! It doesn't matter if the HH flood the ETL with vows as completions are what count so there is everything to play for :)

Ack! I'm not even in the Imperial Guard and I feel like I have a Commissar breathing down my neck. I'm hurrying boss! I'm hurrying! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Better a Commissar breathing down your neck instead of shooting you in the head msn-wink.gif Besides, better having a Commissar eying you, than an Imperial Knight Baron stepping on you for oathbreaking biggrin.png

Welcome anselneo - a promising vow there! Good luck! :tu:

Hmm interesting. I wonder how much the powers that be had to agonize over how to include HH as a faction. The fact that FW models boast a higher average points cost and cover such a breadth of background material must have weighed heavily. I'm interested to see how Codex: Cult Mechanicus will influence our numbers . . . happy.png

The HH faction went from non-existence in the first ETL to a meagre 14 participants in the second and only last year they showed enough following to be among the top positions. Now they look very strong (although it's still very early to have any real visibility if the strong following will translate to high completion rates). Obviously the ETL evolves with the hobby and the B&C and as such all the results are evaluated after the event and we make the relevant decisions as how to proceed in the future. But surprises and changes of balance are not totally unwelcome. It reflects how the hobby and hobbyist interests evolve over time and although keeping the odds in check, we also want to promote faction/forum loyalty.

As an example last year the BAs and the SWs had a relatively low turnout. Even so I would never dream of merging the two for the sake of balance. They are distinct parts of the hobby background and both forums have a long and illustrious history here on the B&C. Therefore, in this example, the two factions will remain independent and standalone irrespective of turnout. Frankly this year the BAs are coming back very strongly so it's one of those things. The fortunes of the forums wax and wane... :)

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

The one thing that seems 'unfair' regarding the HH's position, is their very flexibility... Here I can build and paint Mechanicum units, but anything non-AM - say an assassin, some grey knigts or imperial guards - are off limit. The HH forum has no such limitation. One could be painting Blood Angels one week, Gal Vorbak the next and Thanatars later on and all their pledges would count.

It just feels like there's potential for an unfair advantage. Thankfully, this is all just a friendly competition, so hopefully no one complains!

I still haven't pledged since I can't decide whether to pledge GK or AdMech. I'm not even sure if I can pledge both skitarii and cult. This would be a lot easier if I could go nuts within forces of the imperium. I'd even toss the assassins in.

I still haven't pledged since I can't decide whether to pledge GK or AdMech. I'm not even sure if I can pledge both skitarii and cult. This would be a lot easier if I could go nuts within forces of the imperium. I'd even toss the assassins in.

Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus both come under AdMech, so you can pledge them here and paint away :)

The one thing that seems 'unfair' regarding the HH's position, is their very flexibility... Here I can build and paint Mechanicum units, but anything non-AM - say an assassin, some grey knigts or imperial guards - are off limit. The HH forum has no such limitation. One could be painting Blood Angels one week, Gal Vorbak the next and Thanatars later on and all their pledges would count.

It just feels like there's potential for an unfair advantage. Thankfully, this is all just a friendly competition, so hopefully no one complains!

Don't worry about the factions who take it a bit too seriously; worry only about your own vows as that's what matters :tu:

Don't worry about the factions who take it a bit too seriously; worry only about your own vows as that's what matters :tu:

Yeah ... The main point to the ETL is to have fun while getting through the piles of plasticrack we all squirrel away. The faction totals/ranking come second to completing your personal vows to a level you'll be happy with for years to come.

And that's really the meat of it: in order for your faction to win, it has to COMPLETE the vows! FW models may be a lot of points, but they're also oozing with detail and generally pretty huge projects. I have a feeling we'll beat them simply because our goals are probably a lot more realistic. Though if we don't it'll still be fun, which I suppose is the whole point! wink.png

With my involvement in ETL I'm hoping to get at least two Knights finished before the deadline. These are new to me never worked on anything larger than a dreadnaught. I want to get them painted really well and with all the details on them It's going to be a little daunting. So yeah I think two Knights will be a realistic goal to aim for. If I can do another one then awesome. lol

Well said Vel. All we have to do is paint models in a timely fashion. Slow and steady may well win the race - remember that penalties are applied for failure and a single failure negates all your hard work. It could come down to the completion rate so let's keep pushing for that 100%. It's not just a matter of honour but also our best hope of victory!

I already have my second pledge on the way, a knight which I yet have to choose armament for (I'll most likely magnetize it to maximize flexibility, although I do intend to get at least 3 so might not bother with it).

I'm still waiting for my box of rangers to arrive before I can get the first pledge done with though...

Don't worry about the factions who take it a bit too seriously; worry only about your own vows as that's what matters thumbsup.gif

Yeah ... The main point to the ETL is to have fun while getting through the piles of plasticrack we all squirrel away. The faction totals/ranking come second to completing your personal vows to a level you'll be happy with for years to come.

The issue i have is all my squirelled away plasticrack is fantastical in nature, and not of the sci-fi variety, lol.

Scrolling through this thread has instilled me with faith in you Clankers, you Techpriests might not be so bad. :P

Really loving the Ad Mech, and were I not already inundated with Guard to paint...I might have pledged here. The Omnissiah is lacking in armour of the tracked variety, sadly, and I can't help but feel your Battlesuits need to be a little more...gundam.

I, CommodusXIII, answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete a Warlord Titan on or before August 1st. Success will bring eternal glory to Legio Fidelis and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame until the year-end.

http://i.imgur.com/ABX43Ull.jpg

Imperial Knight for scale. This vow will probably destroy me, but I'm making it anyway. Lux Æterna must walk.

EDIT: A WIP thread is available here.

How many points is a warlord titan? That thing is HUGE!

All in good time... msn-wink.gif

For what it's worth, their are published 40k rules for a Warlord. They are found on page 124 of the 2007 Apocalypse book.

2500 points

Oh, and where is that model from?

We're going to sort out the points value at a later date.  First, we have to wait for the new rules (and new points value) to be released.  Second, there's going to be some adjustment to keep it fair - my model isn't nearly as detailed as the Forge World offering, so it shouldn't count for the same amount of points for a painting competition.  I'm only concerned with getting it finished!

There's a little more detail in my WIP thread, but the model was originally constructed by EnGen Studios of Bay City, MI.  I picked it up second-hand from its original owner.  EnGen still takes commissions for them, and I can't give them high enough praise for customer service.  The left leg was damaged in transit, and is currently back with EnGen for repair.

That Warlord by itself should win us some kind of special honors, IMO. biggrin.png

Come to think of it, is there any history of folks completing a Warlord-Titan (scratch built or otherwise) in the previous ETLs?

Archived