+++E Tenebrae Lux IV - Astra Militarum Strategium+++

They look like a combination of bits from cadian command, scions, and heavy weapons. Think commander in second squad is from either baneblade kit or kit bashed metal commissar.

They look like a combination of bits from cadian command, scions, and heavy weapons. Think commander in second squad is from either baneblade kit or kit bashed metal commissar.

2nd squad commander is made of plastic bits probably the Baneblade kit. There isn't a metal model matching it.

Outstanding work. I really like what you did with them, and I really like the firing effect, how exactly did you you do the smoke, I assume it's cotton balls or something, but I'm curious to know how you got it in that shape. I'd like to do my own firing effects for my big guns eventually.

Mehman posted a link to another thread where he'd posted some links to Heraldic iconography, that has been helpful for figuring out my knight's scheme. However, I'm stuck on what color his shell should be.

I have some latin phrases that I love, and will work into his paint scheme, they are "Oderint Dum Metuant" meaning "[Let them] Hate, so long as they fear" and "Non Timebo Mala" meaning " Fear no Evil", I'm thinking I'll put those near the cockpit area, constant reminders to the pilot to make his enemies pay. 

Should I keep with the paint scheme of the rest of my army or should I do something a bit different?

Great work baz, the armour turned out very well. It's great to see such progress being made I only wish I could match it with my own! I really want to do my open firing effect too...

You've got 2 scoring vows on the board, some of us only have two finished models from our first vow! Perspective lord commissar! You don't win the battle with the first shot.

So I have finished drybrushing and washing my Knight's frame and weapons. All that is really left to do is give it a bit of a drybrush with brass to really make it pop, and I'll do a bit of a blue wash around the exhaust stacks and muzzles of the guns. I figured out where to scrawl the phrases, Oderint Dum Metuant on the hatch, and Non Timebo Mala on the Reaper Chainsword. I'm still stuck on how to do the Armor bits. I want to figure this out quickly so I don't hit "The Wall", and lose my motivation.

I'm thinking about doing most of the armor in russ grey, and then adding my heraldic stuff. Since he's a Freeblade who has sworn himself to the Brigade. 

Since my Guard and my Knight fight on a world whose mountains can be as rugged and harsh as the Fenrisian Tundra (Which is why my Space Wolves Great Company has found it a suitable refuge in their exile) and because in reality I wanted them to tie in with my wolves, as part of my Grand Army of the Imperium.

So I have finished drybrushing and washing my Knight's frame and weapons. All that is really left to do is give it a bit of a drybrush with brass to really make it pop, and I'll do a bit of a blue wash around the exhaust stacks and muzzles of the guns. I figured out where to scrawl the phrases, Oderint Dum Metuant on the hatch, and Non Timebo Mala on the Reaper Chainsword. I'm still stuck on how to do the Armor bits. I want to figure this out quickly so I don't hit "The Wall", and lose my motivation.

I'm thinking about doing most of the armor in russ grey, and then adding my heraldic stuff. Since he's a Freeblade who has sworn himself to the Brigade.

Since my Guard and my Knight fight on a world whose mountains can be as rugged and harsh as the Fenrisian Tundra (Which is why my Space Wolves Great Company has found it a suitable refuge in their exile) and because in reality I wanted them to tie in with my wolves, as part of my Grand Army of the Imperium.

Personally I'd go for a completely different colour scheme than the rest of your army, but that's just me. The Freeblade I'm working on now has a desert theme going on but he'll be based in a temperate area with the rest of my armies. For me, it's seeing all the different colours and cultures that surround a particular Knight and then bringing them all together into one Freeblade Knight Band. There'll be more about him in the Liber when he's finished but that's neither here nor there.

Knowing your rate of painting, you're probably already done with him laugh.png!

I am proud to announce that vow 5 is complete!

I decided to use a similar theme with my knight, but I really did up his detail, seeing as this the centerpiece of my army, and I am really happy with how he turned out.

I present my Freeblade Knight to complete my Vows.

WP 20150520 035

WP 20150520 036

And because I know many of you are wondering what my secret is:

WP 20150520 032

I am human, not a painting servitor. If I was I would request to run on beer...

Nice completion!

Answers to a few questions:

Yes as per the vow my figures are for two separate command squads, with advisors.

Yes they are a mix of cadian command, baneblade commander, scions (berets) and mortar. The advisors are: victoria miniatures kolonel, old cadian plastic bits and a old pilot figure. The dog is from the hobbit line.

One squad is designed for reasonably close action and if I ever get my veteran squads assembled I can swap special weapons out with them.

The other squad is for orders, the mortar is a little underwhelming but as these guys will sit in a chimera the mortar can still fire out the top hatch, out of line of sight.

The smoke is cotton balls built up sparingly with pva glue, stuck on a round make-up pad, but thin card could do too. I used a piece of plastic the same diameter of the cannon barrel to fit in it's end, glued a clear rod of plastic to it and the shell. Then slid the cotton etc over it. It's designed to be removeable. Coffeegrunt was right though, some colours in the smoke and on the shell would help with a bit more realism. One day!

Hope all your weekends are productive ones msn-wink.gif

Thanks y'all. It's been a ton of fun and I'm really Happy to have them done. I have some foul xenos scum to paint as well, my tau need to be stripped so I can start fresh, and my necrons just need some vehicles and characters painted, but I lack the bright green colors to do it. I'm now running low on the colors required to do my Space Wolves, and I have a lot of them left to do. Space wolves are a difficult army to paint, so this was a welcome change.

I'll be around to provide moral support, and see what folks are doing that might give me ideas for my next projects. 

Great job Ulrik! It's pretty inspiring to see folks finishing their vows so quickly, and with such quality. Hope you look into joining the ranks of the Omnissiah for next year's ETL! biggrin.png

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/librisrouge/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/5BE8D3AC-91D7-4A93-90BD-F782C26D6B33_zpspzotqa9b.jpg

I started on my Demolishers yesterday but forgot to snap a photo of them until after I had painted for an hour or so. Do they still qualify or have I just removed 340 points from consideration?

EDIT: I forgot to congratulate Ulrik on his amazing success. You shame me good sir. I am shamed.

Great job Ulrik! It's pretty inspiring to see folks finishing their vows so quickly, and with such quality. Hope you look into joining the ranks of the Omnissiah for next year's ETL! biggrin.png

Maybe, If I decide to get some skitarii allies, which does sound appealing, given all of that good stuff they get. The cult mechanicus is seen as bothersome on my world.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/librisrouge/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/5BE8D3AC-91D7-4A93-90BD-F782C26D6B33_zpspzotqa9b.jpg

I started on my Demolishers yesterday but forgot to snap a photo of them until after I had painted for an hour or so. Do they still qualify or have I just removed 340 points from consideration?

You've just basecoated the main colour so there shouldn't be an issue with this.

Archived