Painting 'Raven Black'

When I painted Kayvaan Shrike, I wanted to try something new with the black parts, instead of a grey highlight, I wanted a blue tone to it, similar to actual ravens. (Like when they are so black, it starts looking blue... you know..)

Kayvaan

I started off with black primer;

Then, with an airbrush (layering with a brush will work too) I sprayed a 1:1 mix of black and VGC Ultramrines blue from directly above;

Again, with an airbrush, I sprayed very thin VGC Ultramarines Blue on to the uppermost edges;

Now with a paintbrush, I edge highlighted with thinned VGC Ultramrines Blue;

Highlights were made with 1:1 VGC Ultramrines Blue and VGC Glacier Blue. These highlights are painted by pulling the paint toward the brightest part of the highlight. The second image shows the direction of the brushstroke (yellow arrows) and the part the will be brightest (red arrows);

Using the same principles, but covering a smaller area, a further highlight of VGC Glacier Blue is applied;

Reclaim the shadows by glazing very thin black into the recesses;

And thats it. Simple, but a nice change to grey. (Also looks better in real life, I'm a crappy photographer...)

Great tutorial I have actually been contemplating how to paint my Ravens black, and I wanted to utilise my airbrush too. You've made me one happy fella.

Would you mind doing one for your whites?

@Garrik Glad to have made you happy... Unfortunately I didn't write how I did the whites down.... But I think I could figure it out. I should be able to get some painting done tomorrow and will give a spare head a paintjob and see what happens. With an airbrush, painting white is relatively simple as you don't have to do 100000 smooth layers like you do with a brush, just a few misting coats will do the job.

After staring at my Kayvaan pic on the computer, I daresay I basecoated the head with VGC Ultramarines Blue, highlighted with VGC UB and white, then pure white, or some variation of that. I'm sure I tied my whites shading to the blacks highlighting by doing something like that......

You've tied the whites really nicely into the black with the blue for highlighting on the black, and blue for shading on the white, it looks fantastic. Any thing you can throw together would be amazing. biggrin.png

Edit: Lol ^ That is all.

Archived