Incarnating the God-Machine - ETL IV Vow Complete!

It's a bit odd. The color scheme that I use - green with yellow/black stripes - was very common for GW's show models back in EPIC. However, there's no Legio officially associated with it.

The closest is Legio Astraman, which has the same green but with blue/white stripes. Imperius Dictatio itself was most likely from Legio Invictus, as the ghost of Erwin Hecate shows up in Titanicus. Invictus' colors are red with yellow/black stripes.

Interesting, I had always had the mistaken impression that ID was green because of the cover art.

To be honest, I still picture it that way. The cameo in Titanicus was a bit awkward, and felt like an unneeded retcon. Nothing is lost by ignoring it.

And given that the princeps who "sees" Hekate is losing his grip on reality, it's suspect anyway.huh.png Though who's to say that engines from Legio Invictus didn't campaign once alongside the legio from which Dictatio hails? I guess it's a case of YMMV...

It's the same Legio in Titanicus as in the Titan comic, with a 300 years gap between the two storylines. Having Hecate appear in Titanicus gave continuity to the story, and reinforced the dynasty of being Princip of a Titan.

SJ

Not much continuity to give. In Titanicus, it's said that all of their Warlords require amniotic caskets. All of the Warlords in Titan are hardplugged. I don't think that they had a 100% turnover and replacement of their engines in 300 years.

The ghost of Hecate doesn't even sound anything like Hecate. Though, it's possible that he matured quite a bit before his death.

So no, it's only a nod to the older story and adds nothing to the present one.

No worries!  I won't have anything to post for a bit - I've been distracted this week and haven't had any major milestones.

Yes, in Titanicus the Invicta Titans are Proxima-pattern.  I don't know what those look like, to be honest - maybe the hybrid Mars/Lucius "milkfloat" pattern?

Not much continuity to give. In Titanicus, it's said that all of their Warlords require amniotic caskets. All of the Warlords in Titan are hardplugged. I don't think that they had a 100% turnover and replacement of their engines in 300 years.

The ghost of Hecate doesn't even sound anything like Hecate. Though, it's possible that he matured quite a bit before his death.

So no, it's only a nod to the older story and adds nothing to the present one.

You must have missed the part in Titanicu where they mention the reason why all Warlords use amniotic tanks instead of hardplugs was to prevent a recurrence of some unqualified novice getting plugged in, referring to Cadet Hecate in Titan. That is the "continuity".

SJ

No worries! I won't have anything to post for a bit - I've been distracted this week and haven't had any major milestones.

Yes, in Titanicus the Invicta Titans are Proxima-pattern. I don't know what those look like, to be honest - maybe the hybrid Mars/Lucius "milkfloat" pattern?

That's the old "MkII" that came out between the plastic beetle-backs and the Proxima we all know and love. I'd call it a "Lucius" the beetle's "Mars".

SJ

The Lucius is the "newer" EPIC pattern, referenced in my earlier post.  As far as I know, there has never been an official Proxima-pattern Warlord model.  The "milkfloat" model between the original Adeptus Titanicus model and the newer EPIC model was never given an official pattern designation (Mars, Lucius, etc.).  A model without a pattern and a pattern without a model... sounds like a worthy enough match.

I seem to remember the necessity for the amniotic caskets being that the Promixa-pattern Warlords required total sensory immersion in the Manifold.  Still, it's difficult to believe that Invicta would replace all of their Lucius-pattern engines with Proxima-pattern ones in less than 300 years, and force all of their Warlord Princeps into amniotic caskets because of a single incident.  If that's continuity, it's not good story-telling.

Rather, it's more likely that Hecate's spectral appearance was a simple cameo that wasn't meant to be read into or taken seriously.  The Principes that appeared to Pietor Gearhart were not necessarily from his own memories, but from those of Invictus Antagonistes.  That would mean that at some point Imperius Dictatio was destroyed and Hecate was given Antagonistes, on which Gearhart served as Moderati before becoming its Princeps in return.

Just because he wrote both, that doesn't make it congruent writing.  If anything, it's more maddening than if a second author had decided to drop it in.  If you want to believe than a Legio dumped all of its Warlords and tanked its Principes because of one incident, more power to you.  I choose to ignore those few lines.

Anyway, progress continues:

http://i.imgur.com/TPDgOUZl.jpg

The upper thigh and groin detailing is complete. The Opus Mechanicus appears to have been cast in a mirror image. Fortunately, the silver metallic paint blends in with the white enough for the intended effect.

http://i.imgur.com/FXIXucRl.jpg

I added a small banner from the SM vehicle accessories sprue to herald the name of my Legio, much the same as my Knights. I also added the Warlord hull marking. I found old images of the Warhound and Reaver hull markings, but only a text description for the Warlord. This is my best shot at "two crossed axes", taken from the IK transfer sheet.

http://i.imgur.com/LMIvZwel.jpg

Here is the finished right leg and groin after washing, with the honor banner and resized chain. Three days ahead of schedule!

EDIT:

I was wrong!  I completely forgot about the loudspeakers, which were included way back in the first post.

http://i.imgur.com/yKpDqYql.jpg

They're only pinned in place at the moment - once the right leg is completed, I'll mount them permanently.  No sense snapping them off during assembly.

http://i.imgur.com/XowBshRl.jpg

Here are all of the completed parts to this point.  Eight weeks and two major components to go!

Also, just curious - you have other Knights too right? Do you have any other Titans? And, fluff wise do you plan on running your Knights and Warlord together as a Maniple?

Yes, Lux Aeterna will be the centerpiece of my growing IK/Skitarii/AdMech army.  It started with a few tech priest conversions for INQ28 but took off when the Knights were released.  I have a thread in the Hall of Honour that details my finished pieces, though I've been putting all of my effort into the Warlord and haven't worked on anything else since April.

As I said in earlier posts, I really have a soft spot for the Lucius patterns.  I'd been keeping an eye on eBay for months for this EnGen model before I found one.  I was a bit disappointed to find that Forge World discontinued its Lucius-pattern Warhound around the same time, but it ended up being great news.  In the past two weeks, I've picked up two unassembled, NIB Lucius-pattern Warhounds on eBay with weapons for less than the original MSRP!  So you'll see Legio Fidelis take shape over the course of the next year, once I've taken a long break after finishing this vow.

Gameplay-wise, Lux Aeterna serves three purposes:

1. Battlefield terrain, to simulate fighting as part of large engagements.  I'm about to launch a narrative escalation campaign with some friends of mine, and this will play into our later battles.
  2. Apocalypse, though it's not at all common in my area.  I picked up a copy of Blood Oath on eBay (I refuse to play without hardcopies) and look forward to some Titan and Knight action!
  3. Adepticon Titanicus.  I've already booked my hotel for 2016, and hopefully you'll see both of us there!

The Warhounds will probably see more use, as I can probably squeeze them into large games a bit more easily.  The Warlord...  well, it's definitely for very special occasions.

So, with regards to just Titans, will it be Lux, 2 Warhounds and Knights as your Maniple?

I'm thinking of doing a Warlord, a Reaver and a bunch of Knights as my Maniple myself.

@Vel'Cona - Thank you very much! I lost a bit of steam last week, but seeing the overall progress is pushing me towards the finish line. I can't wait to see it all together again! biggrin.png

@Kilofix -

The current physical inventory for Legio Fidelis stands at:

Demi-Legio Primus:

• Lux Aeterna, Warlord-class
  • Canis Venator, Warhound-class
  • Sicarius Leto, Warhound-class

Fraterri Maniple Primus:

• Fraterrus Primus, Paladin-pattern
  • Fraterrus Quartus, Paladin-pattern
  • Fraterrus Tertius, Paladin-pattern

Fraterri Maniple Secundus:

• Fraterrus Quintus, Errant-pattern
  • Fraterrus Secundus, Errant-pattern

It's a pretty fluffy arrangement, as all serve different purposes. The Warhounds range ahead and flush out targets for the Warlord, while the Knights keep infantry from getting underfoot. And beneath that are the Skitarii and battle servitors. All are cogs in the greater machine.

The fifth Knight (Quintus) has been in a ready-to-prime state for the past six months, I just haven't gotten back to it yet! Each Knight has a numbered cog in the place of the heraldric shield, which were the facings of a resin D6 - put all six together and you have a dice. I can flip a 6 upside down to form a 9, for a total of seven Knights. I'd like to add one more Errant and a Warden, both using the new kits, to fill out the Fraterri. That's farther down the line.

I would like to add a Reaver to the list at some point. However, I'm not as keen on the Mars-pattern and it wouldn't really match the other Titans. I would probably rationalize it by saying that the Reaver is very ancient and the last surviving remnant of the original Legio Astraman contingent that Legio Fidelis evolved from - perhaps even the last Legio Astraman engine in operation, as it's rumored that the Forge World of Graia was destroyed by the Tyranids. There would be some special heraldry to denote this relationship.

To be honest, though, I'm pining for Blackadder's Lucius-pattern Reaver. If Forge World made a similar kit I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, I think the Lucius-pattern Warhound was both the first and the last of its kind. The Lucius-pattern just doesn't fit the current baroque grimdark aesthetic, and the Mars-pattern works for both 40K and 30K.

Nice, I'm undecided about Warhounds myself, I was thinking of just screening with Knights but fluff wise I guess a couple of the former makes sense.

I wasn't planning on the Warhounds either - I thought I was out of luck when FW discontinued them, but I guess someone had them lying around and took the opportunity to unload them.  I love the image of them working in hunting pairs, and it will give me something to field in large-but-not-insane games.  The Warlord is definitely overkill for almost all situations, and not terribly fair to opponents unless they have a lot of Destroyer Weapon spam and/or Titans of their own.

I wasn't planning on the Warhounds either - I thought I was out of luck when FW discontinued them, but I guess someone had them lying around and took the opportunity to unload them.  I love the image of them working in hunting pairs, and it will give me something to field in large-but-not-insane games.  The Warlord is definitely overkill for almost all situations, and not terribly fair to opponents unless they have a lot of Destroyer Weapon spam and/or Titans of their own.

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking for tabletop but moreso fluff wise. It will be awesome when you finish the Warlord as well as the Hounds and get a group shot.

To me, the Warlord Titan screams "mega battle".  As in, perhaps bring a maniple to a multi-table event or something.  I think it would be an amazing centerpiece to something like this!

Archived