Khorne Bloodthirster viability?

bozo69pd

I'm going to pick up the Khorne bloodthirster for a painting contest in 2 weeks. I'm going to model him the way I like rather than WYSIWYG I think, but has anyone used him or the new rules at all to much success?

Of the 3 options which is viable? I fight AM, knights, necrons, spacewolves alot.

I would like to start him on the table. I would rather use blood tithes for flesh hound summoning. Right now I have about 200 cultists, 30 flesh hounds, 1 juggerlord, 8 chosen that are khorne painted (trying not to dip into my nurgle army for counts as). This so far makes me think I will just be running a Daemonkin CAD with allied CSM detachment of belakor. Let's face it, when you are running against adamantium lance formation you need belakor.

I fight AM, knights, necrons, spacewolves alot.

not sure on that, but i guess the D-weapon Bloodthirster (the one with the biiiig axe) would be a nice choice for you?

None. Not against the armies you fight. Against what you presented the Bloodthirster, the one with the D weapon would die very quickly. A Knight strikes before him, the Thunderwolf Cavalry can escape him or kill him with ease due to the number of quality attacks they have, the AM would simply shoot you to bits in no time. You do not have the tools to counter the armies above, you have to rely on the rest of the army if you want to have a chance at them. 

An argument can be made for the other Bloodthirsters but the ugly truth is that neither is stellar in performance. We really needed a D weapon, we got one at Initiative 1, it is useless for the needs and dangers we need to counter with it. 

My advice, Be'Lakor still does a much better job for what you intend your Bloodthirster for. 

The Insensate Rage can fight against Knights, bring your pet Maulerfiend with Lashers along with you.

Against Necrons/Wolves, we still have Heldrakes, Flesh Hounds, and AP2 Axes swinging at initiative.

Yeah this is how I am feeling about it. I would be using invisibility from belakor on the bloodthirster which is very strong protection, but I am concerned about him being able to make his points back going against things like the thunderwolf calvalry, the necron lychguard blob thing, or like 5 leman russ tanks.

Yeah this is how I am feeling about it. I would be using invisibility from belakor on the bloodthirster which is very strong protection, but I am concerned about him being able to make his points back going against things like the thunderwolf calvalry, the necron lychguard blob thing, or like 5 leman russ tanks.

Yeah I think he's anti-knight/SuperHeavy/Wraithknight. I dont think his place is against anything thats a blob. I'm starting to think I need a Warhound for stuff like that.

D weapon bloodthirster beats a knight more often than not. The knight needs 5s to hit, and only a 6 will instant kill the thirster. The thirster gets 6 attacks, hits on 3s. Knights end up doing on average 2 wounds, the thirster does 8 hull. Against ws5 knights it is a bit riskier, but not too much. The stomps might get him, but that is a risk all CC has to take.

Against the other armies, use another unit to tie up unit so he doesn't take too many return attacks (although a bloodthirster can take a real beating thanks to his WS and T). Bloodthirsters aren't like a knight where you can throw it wherever you want with no support and expect it to perform, it needs support in the form of beasts/bikes to tie up and absorb attacks.

The real problem though is daemonkin thirsters are garbage. Chaos daemon ones can take rewards giving it bonus attacks, striking at initiative weapons, or straight up tougher in the form of FNP and reroll invulnerable. Chaos daemons can also get the grimoire and psychic powers to buff it with invisibility or cursed earth.

Like I said in the other thread. Its not an eye opener at all.

On the insensate rage fight (around 3min mark) the Knight was given the charge, rolled for 2 hits on 5's, and then rolled 1 6.

I'm not going to calculate the odds, but I doubt thats statistically common.

Like I said in the other thread. Its not an eye opener at all.

On the insensate rage fight (around 3min mark) the Knight was given the charge, rolled for 2 hits on 5's, and then rolled 1 6.

I'm not going to calculate the odds, but I doubt thats statistically common.

The odds of the knight rolling a 6 to wound is (if the IK gets the charge)

1*(17/18)^4) = 20.4% or around 1 in 5

The odds if the knight doesn't get the charge

1*((17/18)^3) = 15.8% or around 1 in 6

For the bloodthirster, on the charge the chance of rolling a single 6 is (ignoring the multiple 2-5 it will get alongside it)

1*((16/18)^8) = 61% or around 3 in 5

If the knight charges through terrain it should be striking at I 1 and it is likely to die no matter what. the bloodthirster even when not charging is likely to kill from HP damage, where as the knight is unlikely to win by wound damage, as the thirster has an invulnerable save.

As for the wraithknight, it has more attacks which gives it a better chance to kill the thirster and an invulernable save to level the field on survival. On the whole though, if the thirster gets the charge it is going to win more often than not. I am pretty sure everyone agrees that the wraithknight is ridiculously strong and of course it will beat everyting else in a comparison. If you want to deal with wraithknights, you need grav, fleshbane or rending. Anything else is just wasting your time.

Well at least as chaos it is very easy to get rending, fleshbane, and instant death. Belakor and some of the daemonweaps come with it, I just am not that thrilled about having to use Slaanesh alongside khorne. At this point I may as well get a Lord of change too and go 4 god undivided. Maybe use Kairos reroll on their 6 to wound.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to point out that in my list, I bring fateweaver and Bel'akor...

7 dice + the D6, that's a nice amount of dice to get invis off on the thirster. That's pretty baller. an invis gliding D weapon slapping bloodthirster.

That D slapper will take on most huge threats, Wraithknight, Imperial Knight, big tanks, etc...

Support him and he's great, don't support him and you're just wasting points.

Archived